ADVERTISEMENT

New OC and DC?

The Ole Miss offensive line coach is also joining Mack's staff
Jack Bicknell Jr. Played for his dad at BC. He's been HC at Louisiana Tech, and that type experience can help a staff.

I assume Longo and Bicknell must like one another and want to keep working together.

I think what I like best about Bicknell for UNC OL coach is the BC background. BC has had very tough, smart playing OLs back to at least when Jack Bicknell Sr was HC. I expect Mack has told Bicknel Jr he wants OLs like the best BC OLs - a unit that is better than its component parts.

If you are a 1st time P5 coordinator, you will be best served if your HC has experience. Matt Luke is a 1st time HC, and Longo was at a P5 for the 1st time.

Mack has all the experience to help Longo become a great OC at this level.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
If you are a 1st time P5 coordinator, you will be best served if your HC has experience. Matt Luke is a 1st time HC, and Longo was at a P5 for the 1st time.

Mack has all the experience to help Longo become a great OC at this level.

Good point

He was getting fired if he didn't get another job.

He had three 1st rounders on offense and couldn't muster more than 16 points against Auburn, LSU, Bama, and State. Our most talented offense ever.

He can put up points against lesser talented foes, but his offense doesn't work against elite defenses.

He has like 26 total plays and tells his receivers to "run to space" and allows them flexibility on routes they run during the play.

Ole Miss was 12th and 9th in @SBN_BillC’s offensive S&P+ ratings the last two years, we'll gladly take him off your hands.

I'd never heard of him, but sounds like it might be a good fit for what Mack is wanting to do here. Hopefully, he will incorporate the solid RB's into his game plan.

The biggest criticism of Longo that I've seen on message boards is red zone efficiency but most fans seem positive about the hire.

And if you lack RB power and consistency and depth, you will have Red Zone issues. That goes double when facing very good Ds most weeks.

We have a talented quartet of RBs returning.

Exactly. His team ranked 9th in the country in total yards last year playing in the SEC West. That's not easy to do.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Exactly. His team ranked 9th in the country in total yards last year playing in the SEC West. That's not easy to do.

True. But I caution you to get over excited. They racked up a lot of yards but didn’t score the call nearly as much as the other top 10 offense. They have had serious RZ issues.

I think those that liked the Fed Spread will like this offense. Those that didn’t like the Fed Spread will dislike this offense.

True. But I caution you to get over excited. They racked up a lot of yards but didn’t score the call nearly as much as the other top 10 offense. They have had serious RZ issues.

I think those that liked the Fed Spread will like this offense. Those that didn’t like the Fed Spread will dislike this offense.

His teams still averaged 33 points per game in the SEC with those flaws. Imagine what he could do here if he makes even slight improvements in the red zone with a more accomplished head coach.

Reactions: Archer2
His teams still averaged 33 points per game in the SEC with those flaws. Imagine what he could do here if he makes even slight improvements in the red zone with a more accomplished head coach.
He never broke 16 against Bala, LSU, Auburn, or Miss State. His averages were skewed against bad teams.

Scoring has never been our issue though. What will we get on defense ?

Reactions: dgheel57
He never broke 16 against Bala, LSU, Auburn, or Miss State. His averages were skewed against bad teams.

Scoring has never been our issue though. What will we get on defense ?

Those teams can make a lot of OC's look bad. The overall level of competition won't be nearly as high in the ACC. And again, he's going from Matt Luke in his first year as a Power 5 HC to Mack Brown, who won a national title beating U$C. This situation is a little different.

Those teams can make a lot of OC's look bad. The overall level of competition won't be nearly as high in the ACC. And again, he's going from Matt Luke in his first year as a Power 5 HC to Mack Brown, who won a national title beating U$C. This situation is a little different.
I hear ya.

My point is it’s hard to glean too much from his time at Ole Miss.

Mack has hit a home run with the staff he has assembled. Good recruiters, outstanding coordinators. A def coordinator who excelled with average physical talent at Army. Twice nominated as candidate as Natl Asst of the Year. An offensive coordinator who set offensive recordsat Sam Houston St even before his successes at Ole Miss. You folks that are late getting on the Mack Brown express better strap on your helmets . This Hall of Fame coach is as good as it gets, ESPECIALLY, at kick starting programs. Lord knows, this program needs kick starting. Could not be more happy with this start. I was getting nervous about how long this was taking but it is better to take your time and make the correct staffing decisions.

Mack has hit a home run with the staff he has assembled. Good recruiters, outstanding coordinators. A def coordinator who excelled with average physical talent at Army. Twice nominated as candidate as Natl Asst of the Year. An offensive coordinator who set offensive recordsat Sam Houston St even before his successes at Ole Miss. You folks that are late getting on the Mack Brown express better strap on your helmets . This Hall of Fame coach is as good as it gets, ESPECIALLY, at kick starting programs. Lord knows, this program needs kick starting. Could not be more happy with this start. I was getting nervous about how long this was taking but it is better to take your time and make the correct staffing decisions.

Another point is that we don't have to worry about our HC taking another gig this time around, which should show recruits that our football situation is about to become very stable.....

I think that Mack Brown's love for Carolina is real, and the players, fans and especially the recruits are going to see this...

As for the coaching hires, I really don't think that he could have done any better than he has....

Carolina football is about to improve by leaps and bounds compared to the last few years, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out!

Another point is that we don't have to worry about our HC taking another gig this time around, which should show recruits that our football situation is about to become very stable.....

I think that Mack Brown's love for Carolina is real, and the players, fans and especially the recruits are going to see this...

As for the coaching hires, I really don't think that he could have done any better than he has....

Carolina football is about to improve by leaps and bounds compared to the last few years, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out!

I agree with everything you said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT