ADVERTISEMENT

NFL 2016-2017

15977163_1371705682876116_9154709071806020826_n.jpg
....you serious, Clark?

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
Do you believe that Tom Brady is a better QB -- regardless of team of system -- than most of the other proclaimed-"Great" NFL QB's? That is -- to use your own question -- if you put Tom Brady on other teams, would he achieve the same success?

The thing isn't that the Patriots had this expert offense, that they either found or stumbled into Brady that happened to fit perfectly into this great system. It's that they stumbled into Brady, and then realized his strengths - and crafted an offense around him that fits all those strengths.

If he were trade to the Panthers, and the Panthers tried to keep the read-option, QB run heavy scheme that they have with Cam, Brady would suck. But I'm assuming they'd be smart enough to change their offense around to the strengths of their new QB. I don't think that makes Brady a "system quarterback" - it makes the offense he runs a "Brady system".

I lost respect for him when he decided to publicly comment on Bradshaw's comments and criticize said comments. You gotta rise above that kinda stuff if you're a coach, IMO.
He Probably shouldn't have responded to that but...

Along those same lines, Trump needs to shut the hell up with all his damn tweets crying about how people make fun of him or hurt his feelings. He needs to rise above too but he can't because he's too thin skinned

And a large part of it is the mentality, preparation, etc. that GSD alluded to. Big Ben is 34 years old - does anyone think he'll still be a starter in the league at 38? Probably not, and if he is - he'll be just hanging on, definitely no longer in the talk of being an upper echelon QB in the league. That's because he's a relatively fat slob that gets himself hurt often and seems to enjoy partying etc.

Brady is a crazy MF. The guy will play until he's 45 at a high level if he wants, because he takes care of himself so well. He never takes hits that endangers his long term well being. He's in very good shape (even if not a jacked freak athlete), and he doesn't eat any sugar - let alone alcohol. He's so insane with his diet and health that he's holding off Father Time longer than anyone else in recent memory in any sport.

From a physical talent standpoint, Luck was referred to as "the next John Elway" when he was coming out. Several evaluators stated that he was the best QB prospect since Elway. I'm pretty sure Elway himself said it. Surely you remember that.

bullshit...those guys either worked for the colts or hate the colts.

oh i get it, because they went to stanford...makes total sense now.

@gunslingerdick you lost me when you mentioned luck...thanks!

It's the name thing. Luck is a gunslinger, so this would make sense. Luck might have the tools but he is a terrible decision-maker IMO. He takes risks that are questionable at best, and he forces things way too much. For all the "system QB" stuff we've discussed, Luck is trying his damndest to "not" be that...it's like he's out there ad-libbing the entire game...it's very helter skelter. It's incredibly hard to win that way, consistently.

So it looks like wr adams is prob out for sun for the packers. So if you're keeping score

Top two rb's out. One a pro bowler. Converted wr at rb with a guy cut by seahawks early this season at back up

Top two wr's out. One a pro bowler. Leading receiver is now a guy cut by the rams early this season (cook)

Top three cb's out. One a pro bowler. with a fourth now doubtful. Signed a guy off the streets yesterday who hasnt played in a year.

Not to mention

Pro bowl nt unexpectedly retired at beginningnof season

Pro bowl lineman cut at beginning of year over salary probs.

I know every team has injuries but if gb pulls off the upset that is pretty remarkable

So it looks like wr adams is prob out for sun for the packers. So if you're keeping score

Top two rb's out. One a pro bowler. Converted wr at rb with a guy cut by seahawks early this season at back up

Top two wr's out. One a pro bowler. Leading receiver is now a guy cut by the rams early this season (cook)

Top three cb's out. One a pro bowler. with a fourth now doubtful. Signed a guy off the streets yesterday who hasnt played in a year.

Not to mention

Pro bowl nt unexpectedly retired at beginningnof season

Pro bowl lineman cut at beginning of year over salary probs.

I know every team has injuries but if gb pulls off the upset that is pretty remarkable

Well, Lacy ate himself into an injury, but other than I agree with the above. Might make Falcons -5 more attractive after all.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
bullshit...those guys either worked for the colts or hate the colts.

While these aren't from real scouts, the below articles at least give merit to my claim that Luck was measured against one guy in particular coming out of college.

http://fansided.com/2015/01/18/andrew-luck-john-elway-reincarnated/
"The similarities between these two guys go beyond attending the same college and being drafted by the same organization. Like Elway did in the 80’s, Luck is also now pushing his less than talented teams past the point where they belong."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/feature/video/_/page/allaboutluck/ultimate-scouting-report
"Andrew Luck is the top quarterback prospect to come along in the past 30 years, a once-in-a-generation player almost guaranteed to become an immediate star at the next level.

So what makes Luck so special? Everything. He has no glaring weakness and grades out favorably against the top prospects in recent history. Our comparison focuses on three other can't-miss quarterbacks from the past three decades: John Elway, Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan."

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Comparing-Stanford-QBs-Andrew-Luck-vs-John-Elway-3165857.php
"There are many other similarities, especially football intelligence, he said. "In overall ability, Luck may be ahead of Elway. John relied on his big arm and his athletic ability. Luck has the ability to get rid of the ball quickly. He has the ability to see what's going on and get off and do it."

Could he have a pro career comparable to Elway's? "Oh yeah, barring injury," Wooten said.

"Luck is more consistent than Elway was in college", longtime Dallas Cowboys personnel chief Gil Brandt said.

It's the name thing. Luck is a gunslinger, so this would make sense. Luck might have the tools but he is a terrible decision-maker IMO. He takes risks that are questionable at best, and he forces things way too much. For all the "system QB" stuff we've discussed, Luck is trying his damndest to "not" be that...it's like he's out there ad-libbing the entire game...it's very helter skelter. It's incredibly hard to win that way, consistently.

Luck's decision making has looked bad at times but coming out of college, he was lauded for his decision making. The only reason it's looked bad is because of his horrendous OLine and their inability to protect him. Not only that, he's had marginal talent around him thus far through his career. So he knows, if the Colts are going to win, it's because he makes plays.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Luck's decision making has looked bad at times but coming out of college, he was lauded for his decision making. The only reason it's looked bad is because of his horrendous OLine and their inability to protect him. Not only that, he's had marginal talent around him thus far through his career. So he knows, if the Colts are going to win, it's because he makes plays.

You know...there are quite a few QB's around the NFL who can lay claim to this same stance. But it's not for the sake of trying -- Indy had Reggie Wayne (albeit, at the end of his career), Pierre Garcon, they signed Andre Johnson, signed Hakeem Nicks, traded for Trent Richardson (when it seemed like he had juice left in the tank).... They were making moves, but even with Reggie Wayne and when they were making pushes for the post-season, Luck came across as extremely erratic, to me.

He could turn it around...again, he has a hell of a skillset to work with.

A shell of himself

Marginal, in his prime.

Not even a shell of himself.

lol

Complete garbage.

Agree on all accounts, but I think my point was missed -- my point was that they tried to give Luck weapons...their GM just sucks and Jim Irsay is an idiot for keeping a mediocre-at-best coaching staff in place. He should have thrown the checkbook at Jon Gruden years ago to get in there and work with Luck...or at least kept B. Arians (spelling) from leaving town.

I think Luck has the tools in the shed to easily be one of the best QB's to ever play the game, but they have given him a terrible situation to work with (although they have tried, and failed miserably, to give him weapons)...but in truth, Luck has not responded well to that at all. Going back to the earlier argument with Tom Brady...this is one of those situations where I think he would have thrived in -- because he would not have been a gunslinger...he'd have checked down 80% of the time, taken what was given to him, and while his stats would be lower...he wouldn't be throwing crucial INT's either.

I think Luck has the tools in the shed to easily be one of the best QB's to ever play the game,

That was my original point. You just seconded it by making that statement. So once again, we agree.

He should have thrown the checkbook at Jon Gruden years ago to get in there and work with Luck...or at least kept B. Arians (spelling) from leaving town.

Jon Gruden - hell yes. The only guy I know of that's a bigger Andrew Luck fan than me is Jon Gruden. That's a match made in heaven. Bruce Arians, meh. I'm not as high on him as others. I think he's won with smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: Blue2010
While these aren't from real scouts, the below articles at least give merit to my claim that Luck was measured against one guy in particular coming out of college.

http://fansided.com/2015/01/18/andrew-luck-john-elway-reincarnated/
"The similarities between these two guys go beyond attending the same college and being drafted by the same organization. Like Elway did in the 80’s, Luck is also now pushing his less than talented teams past the point where they belong."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/feature/video/_/page/allaboutluck/ultimate-scouting-report
"Andrew Luck is the top quarterback prospect to come along in the past 30 years, a once-in-a-generation player almost guaranteed to become an immediate star at the next level.

So what makes Luck so special? Everything. He has no glaring weakness and grades out favorably against the top prospects in recent history. Our comparison focuses on three other can't-miss quarterbacks from the past three decades: John Elway, Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan."

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Comparing-Stanford-QBs-Andrew-Luck-vs-John-Elway-3165857.php
"There are many other similarities, especially football intelligence, he said. "In overall ability, Luck may be ahead of Elway. John relied on his big arm and his athletic ability. Luck has the ability to get rid of the ball quickly. He has the ability to see what's going on and get off and do it."

Could he have a pro career comparable to Elway's? "Oh yeah, barring injury," Wooten said.

"Luck is more consistent than Elway was in college", longtime Dallas Cowboys personnel chief Gil Brandt said.

like you said, not professional talent evaluators...it only made since to make that comparison at that time.

nobody has ever argued the potential...compare luck to archie manning though.

like you said, not professional talent evaluators...it only made since to make that comparison at that time.

nobody has ever argued the potential...compare luck to archie manning though.

I think you're just being obstinate or f**king with me. But regardless, either way, I'm still right...which of course is what matters.

No NFL QBs are system QBs lol.

You want an example of a system QB? Hawaii QBs when June Jones was there and Texas Tech QBs when Leach was there. You could stick a jug machine at QB in those two offenses, and it would throw for 4,000 yards a season because all they did was throw the ball. THAT is a system QB.

NFL defenses are too good to allow system QBs to exist.
What about Tim Couch at Kentucky when they threw the ball 70 times a game then drafted #1 overall and flopped in Cleveland??

didn't holcomb win a playoff game for butch in cleveland?
Nope. Butch got them there but they lost; which is the last time they even made the playoffs.

The last Cleveland playoff win was in 95... ironically enough, it was Belichek at coach beating none other than New England, with his mentor Parcells at the helm.

Last edited:
I thought that was an odd call. It didn't look to me like anything was wrong with what the Dallas player did.

since the league penalizes teams by fining and taking draft picks, what should organizations be able to receive when the league gets it wrong?.

since they won't let us play again, how about some extra salary cap space or maybe an extra 2nd rounder?

they're about to take a 2nd rounder from seattle for not fully disclosing a knee injury...that's usually a starter, geez.

since the league penalizes teams by fining and taking draft picks, what should organizations be able to receive when the league gets it wrong?.

since they won't let us play again, how about some extra salary cap space or maybe an extra 2nd rounder?

they're about to take a 2nd rounder from seattle for not fully disclosing a knee injury...that's usually a starter, geez.

You guys can have the Patriots 1st round pick from last year. An overreaching punishment as a result of denial of science can now be passed along to Dallas as compensation for the refs blowing a call yet again in the playoffs.

Reactions: gteeitup

Since I've lost count on the number of times the league has apologized or admitted to missing hits to Cam Newton's head, I would be in complete favor of teams being compensated somehow for the league's ineptitude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT