ADVERTISEMENT

NFL 2018-19

The Cowboys are a textbook case of good and bad drafting. They took centers and guards in the first round, and they were vilified by "draft experts" while they started to build up the franchise. Then comes the Elliot pick, who the "experts" applauded, but has started to lead to their demise, as they've put all this money into skill positions while ignoring their trenches.

So, now Dallas has a solid defense, but they have an average (at best) O-line, a good RB, a bad WR core, and a QB who is nothing more than a game manager. They should be the case study for anyone who wants to be a GM.
Much of what you’ve typed is true. Tyron Smith has downturned rapidly. Travis Frédérick was a pro bowl / all pro center and has been out almost all season.

You’re right - dak is a game manager especially as s passer. Misses a ton of easy throws. If they are going to keep him they should have him roll out / run more.

Cowboys WRs with Gallup amari and Beasley are good enough

The keys the GM should change are finally getting rid of Garret for never having his team up for playoff games. And get rid of Linehan who runs a more basic offense than most high schools.

Nothing wrong with Elliott. Both the o line and defensive line got whipped by a team more ready to play today.

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
Much of what you’ve typed is true. Tyron Smith has downturned rapidly. Travis Frédérick was a pro bowl / all pro center and has been out almost all season.

You’re right - dak is a game manager especially as s passer. Misses a ton of easy throws. If they are going to keep him they should have him roll out / run more.

Cowboys WRs with Gallup amari and Beasley are good enough

The keys the GM should change are finally getting rid of Garret for never having his team up for playoff games. And get rid of Linehan who runs a more basic offense than most high schools.

Nothing wrong with Elliott. Both the o line and defensive line got whipped by a team more ready to play today.

Elliot is a good player, but RBs are extremely overrated.

Reactions: Heelicious
honestly thought dallas would get to the nfc championship through this route when the bracket came out...it was a good year, youth was served.

they are finally drafting well and honestly are setup fine player wise(youngest team in the league i believe, colts?)...need frederick back and tyron needs to get healthy...grab a d-tackle, a tight end, interior o-line depth, kicker, and a safety(earl thomas perhaps)...dallas will have about $90 mill in cap space, so they’ll sign their own as well.

i’m fine with garrett if we can’t get payton...say whatever you want, but they don’t quit and that’s important...he sends a message of consistency and control today.

i would move on from linehan as oc and moore as qb coach, it just doesn’t work with dak’s style.

As long as the Patriots don't go
iu

rewatching the cowboys/rams...after digesting the loss, it’s therapy now.

man, some awful calls/non calls in this game...97 and 90 are held, a lot...no sour grapes, but my god it was bad.

I think that's a good move. Dallas definitely had a good defense last year. They just need change on the offense. Have you heard anything about Demarcus Lawrence?

they could tag him again, but then they have to re-sign to ext or risk him doing a bell thing and holding out and then having zero leverage...they bet on him last year so they need to extend him in good faith...he’s a priority as is byron jones and cooper.

they could tag him again, but then they have to re-sign to ext or risk him doing a bell thing and holding out and then having zero leverage...they bet on him last year so they need to extend him in good faith...he’s a priority as is byron jones and cooper.
I think they will franchise tag him this year....and hope for the best. I hope they can work up a good deal for him soon though, because right down the road (next year??) I think they have to deal with

Dak's and Zeke's contract. Neither are worth mega blockbuster deals IMO, because:
Dak isn't an elite passing QB, not a top 5-7 QB in today's passing friendly NFL
Zeke - or any running back - isn't worth huge money in the super-pass-friendly NFL. Zeke is sure a top five RB especially as a stud rusher AND pass catcher, but the money you'd have to spend to give him some max deal is better spent on a top flight QB, or dline guys or one more WR1 legit threat. Or a true shutdown corner. Or O line strengthening.

The disappointing thing to me is how they choose a guy like Taco Charlton as for d line in first round, and now he's third string. Any first rounder, especially in top half of that round, should at least be a starter.

But @gteeitup I do LOVE (not like) Linehan being shown the door. Will be interesting to see who they go after. How many "disciples of McVay" are left out there? Maybe they will find some good college O coordinator to promote. Someone who knows how to use Dak will be key.

I think they will franchise tag him this year....and hope for the best. I hope they can work up a good deal for him soon though, because right down the road (next year??) I think they have to deal with

Dak's and Zeke's contract. Neither are worth mega blockbuster deals IMO, because:
Dak isn't an elite passing QB, not a top 5-7 QB in today's passing friendly NFL
Zeke - or any running back - isn't worth huge money in the super-pass-friendly NFL. Zeke is sure a top five RB especially as a stud rusher AND pass catcher, but the money you'd have to spend to give him some max deal is better spent on a top flight QB, or dline guys or one more WR1 legit threat. Or a true shutdown corner. Or O line strengthening.

The disappointing thing to me is how they choose a guy like Taco Charlton as for d line in first round, and now he's third string. Any first rounder, especially in top half of that round, should at least be a starter.

But @gteeitup I do LOVE (not like) Linehan being shown the door. Will be interesting to see who they go after. How many "disciples of McVay" are left out there? Maybe they will find some good college O coordinator to promote. Someone who knows how to use Dak will be key.

You might just be best served by bringing in a college O-coord that runs the spread. That's obviously Dak's strength. I would just make sure that your back-up was in the same mold, just in case of injury.

I get super-nervous when I start to hear about maybe Garrett going back to calling plays, or QB coach Kellen Moore getting O coordinator gig. Jerry can pay top dollar for someone / anyone with a proven track record....why go with an unproven guy, or a guy who has actually proven to not be able to deliver results.

@gteeitup I get what you've said about stability and control, but under Garret, they win one playoff game in 2014, then take a step back next year. Then lose in their one playoff game ( at home with best NFC record) in 2016, then take a step back in 2017. Win one playoff game in 2018, then lose again. I'm just getting really tired - I think all Cowboys fans are.....with the empty BS talk about growing and improving year to year, when the reality is up and down and up and down results.... no consistent upward trajectory towards even the NFC Championship game.

I heard recently that in the NFC, only the Redskins haven't gone to NFC championship, since the Cowboys last did. How freaking depressing and convicting / damning is that of Jerry Jones and Garrett? (though I realize it was other coaches along the way, too)... fourteen of fifteen teams have done better than the Cowboys at this goal, including Lions, once lowly Saints, Bucaneers, etc. Pathetic.

I believe Garrett has to at least make the NFC Championship game next year or he's out. They should be favored to win the NFC East.

I get super-nervous when I start to hear about maybe Garrett going back to calling plays, or QB coach Kellen Moore getting O coordinator gig. Jerry can pay top dollar for someone / anyone with a proven track record....why go with an unproven guy, or a guy who has actually proven to not be able to deliver results.

@gteeitup I get what you've said about stability and control, but under Garret, they win one playoff game in 2014, then take a step back next year. Then lose in their one playoff game ( at home with best NFC record) in 2016, then take a step back in 2017. Win one playoff game in 2018, then lose again. I'm just getting really tired - I think all Cowboys fans are.....with the empty BS talk about growing and improving year to year, when the reality is up and down and up and down results.... no consistent upward trajectory towards even the NFC Championship game.

I heard recently that in the NFC, only the Redskins haven't gone to NFC championship, since the Cowboys last did. How freaking depressing and convicting / damning is that of Jerry Jones and Garrett? (though I realize it was other coaches along the way, too)... fourteen of fifteen teams have done better than the Cowboys at this goal, including Lions, once lowly Saints, Bucaneers, etc. Pathetic.

I believe Garrett has to at least make the NFC Championship game next year or he's out. They should be favored to win the NFC East.

I don't think JJ's issue is that he lacks money. I think it's that he likes to micromanage and that turns a lot of coaches away.

I don't think JJ's issue is that he lacks money. I think it's that he likes to micromanage and that turns a lot of coaches away.
Bingo. Exactly.

JJ surrounds himself with yes-men puppets (including Garrett), that he can push around, who will do what JJ says, so he can prop up his insatiable ego complex, hoping people will somehow believe he (JJ) is some football strategery X's and O's genius / guru.... which literally EVERY fan knows and sees is THE sad, cruel joke that has crippled the once-great franchise for 20+ years....

not that I'm bitter or anything about it.....;)

I always say - if JJ just "signed the checks" and helped negotiate the deals on coaches, and got a true football- savvy GM - like Kraft as owner for Pats, Lurie for Eagles, etc.... that would be enough, and fans would love JJ as an owner. I don't know how he doesn't get that. JJ as an owner doesn't deserve the unwarranted loyalty that Cowboys fans nationwide give him and his team, given the abysmal recent results under his ownership.

Bingo. Exactly.

JJ surrounds himself with yes-men puppets (including Garrett), that he can push around, who will do what JJ says, so he can prop up his insatiable ego complex, hoping people will somehow believe he (JJ) is some football strategery X's and O's genius / guru.... which literally EVERY fan knows and sees is THE sad, cruel joke that has crippled the once-great franchise for 20+ years....

not that I'm bitter or anything about it.....;)

I always say - if JJ just "signed the checks" and helped negotiate the deals on coaches, and got a true football- savvy GM - like Kraft as owner for Pats, Lurie for Eagles, etc.... that would be enough, and fans would love JJ as an owner. I don't know how he doesn't get that. JJ as an owner doesn't deserve the unwarranted loyalty that Cowboys fans nationwide give him and his team, given the abysmal recent results under his ownership.

Yup. At least JJ doesn't mind spending money. Living down here in the Tampa area, I grew up with owners like Hugh Culverhouse, who refused to spend money. He let Doug Williams go over like $800k a year. That gets really frustrating.

what i believe now from my tree of trust:

jj isn’t as “involved” as he once was, say before he hired parcells...decisions are made more as a group, so the notion that he’s the only one is not true.

as far as garrett, he isn’t going anywhere right now...only one thing could change that and that would be the saints winning the sb, brees retiring, and jerry going after sean.

as far as oc hires, the names i believe are near the top; dan campbell, james coley, and current te coach doug nussmeir(sp)...one other name to watch for is pete charmichael...the guy hired will help dak because i believe they believe they need to do this now in order to evaluate him before he’s due for an extension.

eta: kellen moore was a linehan thing...also, linehan was the one that pushed cutting dez.

“Y'all know what the real problem is. Don't put it on me. Garbage ass play calling. Everybody lined up in the same spot for 17 weeks."

lol, this was from dez after he was cut. :D

“Y'all know what the real problem is. Don't put it on me. Garbage ass play calling. Everybody lined up in the same spot for 17 weeks."

lol, this was from dez after he was cut. :D
Yes - I'm familiar with this quote, and I loved it so much, I considered making THAT my fantasy football team name this last year - The Garbage Ass Play Callers :)

I think Dez was largely right, they are pretty basic and unimaginative. Even with a diminished, injured line, they should've been able to put up more than, say, <20 points per game. Given Dak's propensity to turn the ball over myriad ways, and/or hold it too long..... holding other opponents under 20 consistently is a tough task to demand. The defense excelled at it this year, but that shouldn't be expected of them. This offense - if back to healthy and existing pieces used right, should be able to average 25-28 points, IMO

But - Dez WAS part of the problem, too. He wasn't beating anyone deep, and was just sort of meh as a possession receiver. Too inconsistent. not a great route runner. Struggled getting open sometimes, and was just average at catch rate, especially given his great physical gifts. Not worth big money.

If he were all that, he'd be playing somewhere for somebody, even tagging on to a true SB contender.

Last edited:
what i believe now from my tree of trust:

jj isn’t as “involved” as he once was, say before he hired parcells...decisions are made more as a group, so the notion that he’s the only one is not true.

as far as garrett, he isn’t going anywhere right now...only one thing could change that and that would be the saints winning the sb, brees retiring, and jerry going after sean.

as far as oc hires, the names i believe are near the top; dan campbell, james coley, and current te coach doug nussmeir(sp)...one other name to watch for is pete charmichael...the guy hired will help dak because i believe they believe they need to do this now in order to evaluate him before he’s due for an extension.

eta: kellen moore was a linehan thing...also, linehan was the one that pushed cutting dez.
Thanks for this inside intel! All those guys you mentioned seem better to me.... I think I read Nussmeir was an offensive big deal at Alabama, Florida, and one other college? Is that the guy?

I am pretty sure too that Garrett is here for 2019. I can live with that....but I do see him getting cut loose next year especially if they don't make the playoffs, or even if they are one and done in the playoffs.

Injuries can happen, etc. but as you've said, they are pretty set with good young talent that is getting better - especially if they get Tyron Smith and Frederick back to 100% or even 90% on the O line.

Reactions: gteeitup
I thought the saints picked up Dez but he tore up a knee(?) in the first few days of practice.

he could be done, for good...achilles at his age could be tough.

If you were the Broncos, Jags, etc.... a team with pretty good D and other pieces but in need of a QB, which free agent would you go after: Flacco, Foles?

flacco for me

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I hope the Rams make a game of it and win. Then, I hope the Chiefs win and it's going to be a fun Super Bowl that I'll actually look forward to watching.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Holy crap, that was such an obvious PI on the Rams. I’m shocked all to Hell that a flag wasn’t thrown.

ETA: however I hope like hell that saints lose on that controversial no call. Would be karma for that bounty-gate cheating shit.
If they'd scored a TD on the last possession, it would be over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT