ADVERTISEMENT

Old School Song of the Day

Great tune. I'm sure you've heard the original (by Love) but if not, here ya go...

Indeed. It's such a great tune. Covers are always tricky. Do you honor the original or try to make it something all your own? They did the former and paid it great respect.

I had put the Calexico version on a mix CD circa 2004. Did a week-long guys trip in California with my former college roommate and a couple of his friends about that same time. We were driving our rental Jeep through Death Valley when it was my turn to supply the soundtrack. The blaring trumpet around the 2:00 mark fit perfectly with the desolate landscape. It felt like we were in a movie.

giphy.gif

In my opinion Mark Knopfler is maybe the most underrated musician of all time, and one of my top 10 favorites. Just a musical genius with such diverse musical talent across several genres.
I agree. Definitely one of my top 10 favorite guitarists. How about this collaboration with one of the all time greats? My favorite rendition on "Imagine" ever.

Reactions: Heelicious
Boston’s debut album might be the best rock album ever recorded. Maybe not the most innovative, the most ambitious, the most timeless, etc. but it’s 38 minutes of wall-to-wall sound that’s so balanced and so fun. I’ve been rocking it with the headphones a lot lately.

Tom Scholz actually was an innovative genius in his own way. He tricked Boston’s record label into thinking they were recording on the west coast while they actually tracked most of that album in his basement studio. Im pretty sure he tracked most of the instruments too, not just guitar. Makes that album even crazier when you realize it’s mostly the work of one crazy mad scientist in his basement laboratory...

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT