ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina other sports discussion thread

Let's get it today Heels!!!

11312311_1615963721992809_1391249065_n.jpg

Reactions: tarheel0910
Yea what a time for his first loss of the season right? I'm hoping he gets a chance for redemption. If we can past FGCU I think we can double dip Davidson. I'd actually feel better about the Monday game then the 6pm game tonight.

Also, why the hell are we the away team again for the game against FGCU? That's something I need to brush up on bc I don't know the rule behind it.
IF we can beat FGCU then it almost becomes a weekend series against Davidson. Only difference is the Wildcats will only have pitched 2 games coming into the "second" game and the Heels will have pitched 3. Bullpen is going to have to get it done for UNC.

Pretty sure home/away is determined by a coin flip. Even though UNC is hosting, it would give an unfair advantage for them to be the home team every game.

Pretty sure home/away is determined by a coin flip. Even though UNC is hosting, it would give an unfair advantage for them to be the home team every game.

Thanks. I was unaware how they decided that. I guess having 98% of the fans is advantage enough w out having the home field every game.

Fox is a legend and I'm not advocating for anything resembling him stepping down whatsoever.

However, he should draw some pretty heavy criticism for the way this season ended. First, pulling a Roy Williams in the ACCTCG and letting Hiatt stay in for so long and basically wave the white flag (it was was to get us ready for the post-season, I get it, but then...) and then we don't even make it out of our own regional, and are eliminated by the #4 seed. This team had the talent to go all the way.

Fox is a legend and I'm not advocating for anything resembling him stepping down whatsoever.

However, he should draw some pretty heavy criticism for the way this season ended. First, pulling a Roy Williams in the ACCTCG and letting Hiatt stay in for so long and basically wave the white flag (it was was to get us ready for the post-season, I get it, but then...) and then we don't even make it out of our own regional, and are eliminated by the #4 seed. This team had the talent to go all the way.
I understand your position, but it's hard for me to criticize him. In my opinion he didn't make any dumb decisions. I think he played aggressive and his pitching decisions were solid. For whatever reason Davidson seemed to have our number this year. Even in our win earlier this year they took us to extra innings. I think it was a combination of post season inexperience and them getting in our heads. We've got a lot of good pieces coming back, so hopefully we can use this year as motivation to do bigger things next year just like the basketball team did.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
UNC is not finished yet for the year. We've got 5 people participating in the NCAA tournament this weekend in track and field.

RJ Alowonle – 400-Meter Hurdles
Anna Eaton – Pole Vault
Sarah Howard – Shot Put
Kenny Selmon – 400-Meter Hurdles
Ceo Ways – 400 Meters

A disappointing end to an otherwise great baseball season. There were a few of my friends calling for Fox's head on twitter following this. I think that might be a little premature, but it does suck to have a regional at the Bosh and not advance. Oh well.

A disappointing end to an otherwise great baseball season. There were a few of my friends calling for Fox's head on twitter following this. I think that might be a little premature, but it does suck to have a regional at the Bosh and not advance. Oh well.
It's not just this season, it's a combination of recent post-season finishes.

The end of the 2016-2017 season came to a close last week. Kenny Selmon capped off the year with a fourth place finish in the 400 hurdles at the NCAA tournament. His time of 48.6 broke a 22 year old UNC record. Solid year this year with a national championship and too many ACC titles to count. The 2017-2018 season starts on August 26th when field hockey takes on Michigan in the ACC/Big 10 challenge. Thank you for joining us this year. We look forward to seeing you in August and remember, it's always a good day to be a Tar Heel.

Shockingly Stanford won it this year.
It's not a fair fight when they get points for their underwater Australian Rules handball team.

UNC actually gets a similar benefit since they field more athletics teams than many other schools. These results would look entirely different if they were weighted based on each school's number of NCAA-sanctioned sports.

It's not a fair fight when they get points for their underwater Australian Rules handball team.

UNC actually gets a similar benefit since they field more athletics teams than many other schools. These results would look entirely different if they were weighted based on each school's number of NCAA-sanctioned sports.
Good point. If I recall correctly it's based off of each schools top 10 sports for men and women instead of all of them, so maybe that is their way of weighting them? I guess when you have 36 sports teams (seriously, they have 36 teams) it doesn't matter when it's limited to 10.

ETA: I just noticed that they don't have a men's lacrosse team. How does Stanford not have a men's lacrosse team? That would be like moo not having a bass fishing team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT