ADVERTISEMENT

Other ACC games Oct 27-29

Too bad we wet the bed against VT. It probably cost us the Coastal.
Florida cancelled the game against LSU it should have played (the storm was well north of FL). And we played a game against VT we should have moved to Sunday.

Now that we know just how costly that loss to VT might be, I have a couple of questions.

VT rushed 66 times for 189 yards, an average of 2.9 YPC. UNC rushed 29 times for 73 yards, an average of 2.5 YPC. Conversely, UNC passed 33 times for 58 yards, an average of 1.8 YPA with 0 TD's and 2 INT's. VT passed 17 times for 75 yards, an average of 4.4 YPA with 2 TD's and 0 INT's.

Given the torrential downpour, poor field conditions, and gusting wind, did Fed get distinctly outcoached by refusing to abandon his game plan and not running the ball more? It appeared obvious that both QB's were having a very difficult time gripping the ball. I've never seen Mitch miss so many open receivers so badly, before or since.

I know a couple of our posters are going to resent my asking this question at this point. But given the importance of that game, I think it's a fair question. I think most of us, even Fed's most ardent supporters, will agree that in game adjustments aren't Fed's strong suit. I'm one of Roy's staunchest defenders but I would say the same thing about him and in game adjustments. In fact, I have on more than one occasion. Both are very stubborn about what they want/intend to run. I feel a little more flexibility on their parts would make both of them better coaches. Do you agree?

Now fire away.

Now that we know just how costly that loss to VT might be, I have a couple of questions.

VT rushed 66 times for 189 yards, an average of 2.9 YPC. UNC rushed 29 times for 73 yards, an average of 2.5 YPC. Conversely, UNC passed 33 times for 58 yards, an average of 1.8 YPA with 0 TD's and 2 INT's. VT passed 17 times for 75 yards, an average of 4.4 YPA with 2 TD's and 0 INT's.

Given the torrential downpour, poor field conditions, and gusting wind, did Fed get distinctly outcoached by refusing to abandon his game plan and not running the ball more? It appeared obvious that both QB's were having a very difficult time gripping the ball. I've never seen Mitch miss so many open receivers so badly, before or since.

I know a couple of our posters are going to resent my asking this question at this point. But given the importance of that game, I think it's a fair question. I think most of us, even Fed's most ardent supporters, will agree that in game adjustments aren't Fed's strong suit. I'm one of Roy's staunchest defenders but I would say the same thing about him and in game adjustments. In fact, I have on more than one occasion. Both are very stubborn about what they want/intend to run. I feel a little more flexibility on their parts would make both of them better coaches. Do you agree?

Now fire away.
In fairness we were playing behind most of the game. Anytime you are in a situation where you are down by more than one score it's almost impossible to catch up without throwing the ball a lot unless you have a good ground game. Obviously the run wasn't working for us either, so we were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Reactions: Raising Heel

Now fire away.

After our first drive where TJ broke off a couple nice runs, we were absolutely stuffed on runs the rest of the game. Nothing we tried work. The only thing that I think we should have done differently was to lob a couple deep shots early. They were basically playing 11 people within 10 yds of the line the whole game. Even if we didn't connect, seeing Hollins runs 5 yds past their secondary may have loosened them up a little bit. So to answer your question, I think we were outplayed (with an assist from the conditions) much more than we were outcoached.

^ I think we needed to pull more weather-adjustments out of the bag-o-tricks. Like wildcat formations. More sweeps. Something different.

I felt our plan was one-dimensional since VT's run D could slow logan/Francis in our typical run plays. So maybe we could've found some other dimension - running mitch more... wildcat, anything.

I wonder if they expected to have Hood back or something.

^ I think we needed to pull more weather-adjustments out of the bag-o-tricks. Like wildcat formations. More sweeps. Something different.

I felt our plan was one-dimensional since VT's run D could slow logan/Francis in our typical run plays. So maybe we could've found some other dimension - running mitch more... wildcat, anything.

I wonder if they expected to have Hood back or something.

Another thing to consider is that they can only run what they've practiced. If they hadn't been practicing and preparing to run Wildcat at that point, that's not something you just whip out in desperation, especially in those conditions. We tried inside runs, they were stuffed. We tried outside runs, they were stuffed. We tried short passes, they were defended (or dropped, or our WR slipped). We tried intermediate passes, they were defended (or dropped, or our WR slipped). I know lots of you don't agree and want to hang a lot of blame on the coaches, but the weather took away our biggest strength and made us completely one dimensional. At that point VT pinned their ears back and sold out to stop the run. Our beat up OL, without Hood running behind them, had no chance given the circumstances. We lose that game pretty much every time in those conditions.

i don't sit in film study nor do i attend practice...fedora said "we prepared for rain" so maybe they prepared by running the same offense they run, but didn't do anything different for the conditions except put a damn ball in a bucket...how'd those practices go vs scout team?

fact is unless a coach gets on here and says differently, they ran the same packages they run during perfect conditions...we can say he's stubborn and won't adjust or we can say our offense doesn't handle bad weather well...it's up to you how you reason with it.

UVA os looking very good today. 4 minutes left in the 1st half and UVA leads 10-7 and has 1st down across the 50.

A question regarding a non-ACC game.

Houston lost last week at SMU. Today, Houston is losing to UCF.

Anybody think the Houston teams knows Herman is going to Texas an so has fallen apart?

Hoos just went for and got 2, to lead Cards 25-24 with 157. Cards have 2 TOs and start from their 25.

Cards WR beats the UVA CB for the end zone. Cards then get 2 point conversion.

32-25 W for Louisville.

I cannot believe I picked Miami. Hard to believe they were in the top 15 a few weeks ago.

I cannot believe I picked Miami. Hard to believe they were in the top 15 a few weeks ago.
Poll voters did what poll voters do, which is give the Canes entirely too much credit for beating awful Florida A&M and Florida Atlantic teams, an App State team that took a sleepwalking UTjr team to overtime, and a fundamentally flawed GT team. Still, the Canes' return to earth has been more painful than I would've expected. Still a lot of time left in this game though.

Reactions: UNC '92
I didn't get to see the game. What was UVA's rationale going for 2 instead of simply kicking the PAT to tie the game? Especially at home?
Top 10 team at home, nothing to play for, small chance of winning in overtime. Why not go for it and let it be the highlight of your season?

I didn't get to see the game. What was UVA's rationale going for 2 instead of simply kicking the PAT to tie the game? Especially at home?
I assume Bronco felt that in OT the Cards would have too much firepower from the 25. His gamble would have worked if his D could have held a bit better.

Miami cuts it to 20-17.

ND fans will blow all gaskets if the Irish lose this one after that lead.

Wow - ND was moving the ball well, and decided to go on 4th and a half yard. Miami read the play perfectly, and ND lost 2 yards.

Agreed. We can't afford to take any of our final opponents for granted, regardless of what they look like on paper.
Dook and Moo both would rather beat us than go bowling. And GT seems to see us much as UVA did during that long losing streak - they expect us to lose and make them a bowl team.

Not an ACC game, but Florida is up 24-10 late against Georgia. Dawgs about to go to 4-4. Florida's defense looks great, but the only top 50 offense they've played all season was Missouri.

ND dodges a bullet by recovering their own fumble on the Miami goal line. FG makes it 30-27. Miami got to midfield with about 30 seconds remaining, but Kaaya did the one thing you absolutely can't do and took a sack. I have never, ever understood the hype about him.

Not an ACC game, but Florida is up 24-10 late against Georgia. Dawgs about to go to 4-4. Florida's defense looks great, but the only top 50 offense they've played all season was Missouri.
UGa's offense looked absolutely toothless. Is Mo. really a top 50 offense because they are terrible.

ND dodges a bullet by recovering their own fumble on the Miami goal line. FG makes it 30-27. Miami got to midfield with about 30 seconds remaining, but Kaaya did the one thing you absolutely can't do and took a sack. I have never, ever understood the hype about him.
Me either. As a matter of fact I was just talking with my son about that. He is so far overrated it's ridiculous. I just don't see it. His footwork is terrible, he makes bad decisions and he is not athletic enough to make up for any of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT