ADVERTISEMENT

Outlook for next year? (Updated by Jarrod)

tcb22

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2002
With this one in the books, can those of you who know the team more than I start posting your outlooks and expectations for next year? Who will most likely return, who have we recruited, etc?

Not sure yet but a little background.

Gahagan and Daniels are seniors so they have exhausted their eligibility.

Pitchers for Next Season:
Luca Dalatri
Cooper Criswell (drafted by LA Angels, i think he comes back have no knowledge on this)
Tyler Baum
Austin Bergner
Josh Hiatt
Caden O’Brien

(UNC will definitely be a strong pitching staff next year)

Rodney Hutchinson got drafted by the Yankees in 6th Round right now I would think he’s gone.

Michael Busch and Ashton McGee will be back along with Brandon Martorano, Ike Freeman, Ben Casparius and Dallas Tessar.

Interesting to see if any of these guys leave.

Cody Roberts in 11th Round by the Orioles Kyle Datres in 12th Round by the Colorado Rockies and Brandon Riley got drafted in 14th Round by the Cardinals.

Honestly they would all benefit from coming back. Hutchinson can leave. He showed nothing in the CWS. And I hate to say that about any of our guys.. CO has the potential to be a star and I love Bergner's potential.

Reactions: dleonard4
Thanks guys. How about incoming recruits? I know Fox used to recruit guys that got drafted high and never made it to campus ala Jordyn Adams.

Thanks guys. How about incoming recruits? I know Fox used to recruit guys that got drafted high and never made it to campus ala Jordyn Adams.
Perfect game has us rated at 18 for the incoming class. Like you said Adams isn't coming. Max Alba is the only other recruit that was drafted. It was in round 39, so I expect him to show up. It's a solid class. No huge names that will jump out at you, but it's a good foundation type class.

Perfect game has us rated at 18 for the incoming class. Like you said Adams isn't coming. Max Alba is the only other recruit that was drafted. It was in round 39, so I expect him to show up. It's a solid class. No huge names that will jump out at you, but it's a good foundation type class.
Thanks!

Solid recruiting class nothing to worry about as far as enrolling other than Mr. Adams.

Cody Roberts posted on Instagram thanking Carolina, means he is going pro, that isn’t much of a shocker.

Cody Roberts posted on Instagram thanking Carolina, means he is going pro, that isn’t much of a shocker.
Man, I was really hoping he would come back. I thought them drafting him as a pitching prospect might increase our chances, but good luck to him.

Roberts was drafted last year in the 38th round by Miami also as a pitcher... He has a rocket for an arm but surprises me that he was drafted 2 years in a row as a pitcher when he never pitched at UNC.... Not surprised that he would jump at the chance this year after moving up 27 rounds.. Good Luck to Cody and thanks for being a Tar Heel

Team really needs Datres back. Pitching should be better that everyone had a year to grow and now had experience.

Hopefully a freshman or sophomore can step up. O’Brien looked good toward the end and should have the stuff to be a workhorse next year.

If Datres returns, I think next years team could be better. Assuming the strong sophomore group improves.

Rockies pick Datres in 12th round
LOCAL SPORTS
JUN 7, 2018

CHRIS MASSE
Sports reporter
cmasse@sungazette.com

The sound resonated throughout the house. Even neighbors could hear it if they walked by outside.

Repeated pings rang away as Kyle Datres kept swinging at his Hit-A-Way. The quest for improvement, the desire to be the best kept pushing Datres. And he was just 8-years-old.

As far back as he can remember Datres has wanted to be a professional baseball player. Wednesday, Datres achieved that dream. The ultimate goal is to make it to Major League Baseball and now Datres has his opportunity.

The Colorado Rockies drafted Datres in the 12th round of Wednesday’s Major League Baseball Draft. The Loyalsock graduate and North Carolina third baseman is playing in the Super Regional this weekend against Stetson with the winner going to the College World Series. Whenever North Carolina’s season ends, he will fly to Denver and his professional career will begin.

Also my daughter said Riley posted on Instagram how the past 3 years have been a dream come true and Thank You to Carolina

None of these post sound good for next year. Figured they could come back. Up their stock and handle some unfinished business.

U really think these kids would give up a chance a WS championship for 125 thousand. And they didn’t even have the Heels players listed as picked in the 11 and 12 rounds

Reactions: tazki
U really think these kids would give up a chance a WS championship for 125 thousand. And they didn’t even have the Heels players listed as picked in the 11 and 12 rounds
I believe they update that website as players sign... I haven’t seen anything official come from the school just posting what I’ve seen online.

I believe they update that website as players sign... I haven’t seen anything official come from the school just posting what I’ve seen online.
UNC's Brandon Riley ready to embark on pro baseball career
Thursday, June 28, 2018
Brandon Riley is set to sign a professional contract Thursday after spending the past few days in Johnson City, Tenn., where he’ll join the Appalachian League’s Johnson City Cardinals. The UNC outfielder is giving up his final year of college eligibility to launch his pro career after being selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 14th round of this month’s MLB draft. (Burlington Times News)

UNC's Brandon Riley ready to embark on pro baseball career
Thursday, June 28, 2018
Brandon Riley is set to sign a professional contract Thursday after spending the past few days in Johnson City, Tenn., where he’ll join the Appalachian League’s Johnson City Cardinals. The UNC outfielder is giving up his final year of college eligibility to launch his pro career after being selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 14th round of this month’s MLB draft. (Burlington Times News)
Ugh. Our chances of returning to the CWS keep taking a hit. We're going to need a freshman or two to make an immediate impact.

Reactions: heelpharm
Cooper signed with Angels on Thursday night and will not pitch rest of this season according to article in Times-Georgian(Carroll County Paper)

Good Luck Cooper but hurts our rotation next year

He’s a big kid! 6’4” 230# and that ball was never in doubt. Nice looking team. Sorry the Friday game conflicted with LNWR. watched Saturday game.
He hit another one Sunday on a cooler day where the ball wasn’t carrying that wel

Reactions: osjr
Ugh. Our chances of returning to the CWS keep taking a hit. We're going to need a freshman or two to make an immediate impact.

A very good friend of mine is a scout for the Dodgers, he thinks we're one of the 5 best teams in the country this year. And he's a dook fan, never much love for us, though this is his job so he's got to be objective. His disdain for us is mostly in hoops.

Reactions: Archer2
A very good friend of mine is a scout for the Dodgers, he thinks we're one of the 5 best teams in the country this year. And he's a dook fan, never much love for us, though this is his job so he's got to be objective. His disdain for us is mostly in hoops.
We still have a solid core, but we will need a couple of freshman to step up if we want to get back to the CWS.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT