ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (AppState game)...

Please transfer all compliments to me!

Garcia has some glaring weaknesses and some obvious strengths. Right now I would bet his weaknesses (poor decision making,refusing to pass/repost, lacking sufficient strength, poor shot selection, and inconsistent effort) prevent the 1st round grade! BUT if he becomes the go-to I think he can be and fixes some of the other issues he could rocket up the rankings! The great news for us is if he earns that 1st round grade it means he has been a real asset for us!

One area where I view it a tad differently is how the G- League is seen by players and NBA teams. It is seen as a viable, good option to develop when you are not quite ready to step in yet, but have a future in the league.

1) You get to focus 100% on your craft, you have specialty coaching above and beyond the team practice, and the team has a very structured plan of development in place individually with no time/ practice limits set as a "student athlete".

2) An area that is lagging for the NBA level can be focused on in games much easier. The "why is so and so guarding the big", or being asked to guard away from the paint more, so and so is now taking more pick and pop looks in game as opposed to relying on his strength down low, or asked to handle the ball more, etc.

They want to win, but the area of needed development will not be put on the back burner to attack a weakness of an opponents personal that will not be there to exploit at the NBA level.

3) 41% of players who have NBA roster spots have now played/developed in the G -leauge. Including a key NBA champion pieces, league All Stars, league award winners, many starters, and a massive amount of rotational bench players.

The Bulls breakout year is very typical. They often have 2 G-leaguers starting or in the core 7 and 5 of their 10 rotational players grew through the G-League. GM's/teams actively look to develop in house nowadays.

4) The service time clock in the buisness begins, which is massively important in a profession that has a tiny window of earning compared to 99% of professional occupations.

If Garcia even gets a sniff at a 1st round guarantee he would be 100% gone and in the G-league working on his game and building his body. He is not very close to getting that guaranteed 1st round contract though at the moment, hence the probable decision of "where" is the best place to develop for him next year once again, not if he will be getting significant minutes on an NBA court.

Mando is another great example. He has improved yearly at his strengths, but not as much on his "weaknesses" that the NBA identified for his game. Some think his type, with doubtful NBA attributes, are better served using the G-league for their professional development. He is largely seen as the same type NBA prospect he was coming in, only 2 years older now. You lose a ton of big man on campus time, and the national attention/shine from the college experience, staying and preparing/developing for a different profession is also a good thing. There is no guarantee the other route would of got better results. College is a very fun time for an athlete and being a star athlete at UNC has plenty of upside during and after your time there.

So, where I think we view things a tad differently is when we agree that a kid like Garcia is "not physically ready to bang" in the NBA at this time, that does not preclude him from the very viable and often, at least, as successful route of focusing on that development full time. It is not a let me cash in on G-league money decision, it is a career path decision, and not an easy one for a very very difficult short lived field they have a chance to earn their way into.
And yet Garcia is not in the G-league right now, he could be, or was there not even G League interest? The reason Garcia pulled out of the last draft is that the feed back he got was that he needed to develop physically to be able to handle the grind of the pro game.

Folks seem to think it is as easy as go G league and develop against other pro players and not waste your time going against college players. What folks don't seem to realize is that in the college game, off season or in season, your time management skills are key, you have others guiding your day, steering you on your development. But when you become a pro you have to manage your schedule, you decide if you get to the gym at 5am or sleep in with that cutie you met at the bar where you dropped a few thousand last night? Yes, some make it thru but the majority find that being sent to the G league when the NBA season is going on more often ends up with you leaving and if you continue to play you do so outside of the NBA. While other guys that spent more time in college actually at least get on a NBA bench. See, what we are talking about is not the stars, the guys that come to college with that 1&D label, we are talking the marginal guys, Garcia is a marginal NBA prospect right now and having not seen a noticeable difference in him physically from last season it does bring the question to me as to how dedicated he is to his physical development? That is with him being pushed in to organized strength and conditioning training in college without his having the final say, as a pro it would all be up to him. Imagine him having to do all that on his own?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Please transfer all compliments to me!

Garcia has some glaring weaknesses and some obvious strengths. Right now I would bet his weaknesses (poor decision making,refusing to pass/repost, lacking sufficient strength, poor shot selection, and inconsistent effort) prevent the 1st round grade! BUT if he becomes the go-to I think he can be and fixes some of the other issues he could rocket up the rankings! The great news for us is if he earns that 1st round grade it means he has been a real asset for us!
Honestly, Garcia, in my opinion, is much like Kerwin, their strength is the same, they are both good outside jump shooters for their length. But neither are going to be confused with being lock down defenders, neither have shown me great ball handles, and neither look to me to work real hard off the ball. I like both these kids, I do not want either to leave but looks to me like both have a real hurdle to over come and it is between their own ears. I just don't know who either of them could defend on the pro level right now, even a NBA sniper has to defend...

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
And yet Garcia is not in the G-league right now, he could be, or was there not even G League interest? The reason Garcia pulled out of the last draft is that the feed back he got was that he needed to develop physically to be able to handle the grind of the pro game.

Folks seem to think it is as easy as go G league and develop against other pro players and not waste your time going against college players. What folks don't seem to realize is that in the college game, off season or in season, your time management skills are key, you have others guiding your day, steering you on your development. But when you become a pro you have to manage your schedule, you decide if you get to the gym at 5am or sleep in with that cutie you met at the bar where you dropped a few thousand last night? Yes, some make it thru but the majority find that being sent to the G league when the NBA season is going on more often ends up with you leaving and if you continue to play you do so outside of the NBA. While other guys that spent more time in college actually at least get on a NBA bench. See, what we are talking about is not the stars, the guys that come to college with that 1&D label, we are talking the marginal guys, Garcia is a marginal NBA prospect right now and having not seen a noticeable difference in him physically from last season it does bring the question to me as to how dedicated he is to his physical development? That is with him being pushed in to organized strength and conditioning training in college without his having the final say, as a pro it would all be up to him. Imagine him having to do all that on his own?
I think a almost identical prospect exists right now, who I am familiar with. Marco Simonovic. SO similar to Dawson.

Marco is listed 6'11 220.
Dawson listed 6'11 235

They both are seen to have a plus skill set, but subpar athleticism for guarding away from the bucket, and not near ready physically for the paint.

Marco is 22, the Bulls drafted him at age 20 in the mid 2nd round. Played him a year in Italy, and now is on their G-league team developing. Donovan and the Bulls have a need at power forward with Williams injury, he has addressed how Marco is not close physically, and will benifit most banging and buildi g in the g-league to get stronger. They have high hopes for him.

Dawson is 20, the age the Bulls took the even more slight of build Simonovic, and looks to be a 2nd round type guy. Marginal guys at 20, very similar strength and weaknesses.. Where will Dawson be NBA ready wise at 23? Will Marco be ready next year at 23? What is the best route to prepare? Those are the questions for marginal guys with upside, but with physical questions like Dawson and Marco.

One area I do disagree is that they would have optional conditioning and weights once they leave college. That is not how it works anymore at the pro level. It is very regimented and Individually detailed, a part of the job, ran by the team. They can do additional, but the team regiment is well organized and a huge emphasis wherever he chooses. Probably more so at the next level with added time allotment for full time training.

As for the not star level guys sticking and earlier entries not that has little to a negative correlation. If they were marginal after 4 years or 1 year of college, the earlier entries actually have a better "lasting" percentage then 4 year guys. The roster bench player percentages show it, and it is growing. You can do it either way though. There are plenty of each who get sent packing and plenty of each who develop and stick full time multi year. Marginal like Berry, Hicks, Theo, Meeks, Marcus etc 4 year guys. If you are 2nd round or free agent marginal you need to improve in areas to get that long term contract.

Last edited:
I think a almost identical prospect exists right now, who I am familiar with. Marco Simonovic. SO similar to Dawson.

Marco is listed 6'11 220.
Dawson listed 6'11 235

They both are seen to have a plus skill set, but subpar athleticism for guarding away from the bucket, and not near ready physically for the paint.

Marco is 22, the Bulls drafted him at age 20. Played him a year in Italy, and now is on their G-league team developing. Donovan and the Bulls have a need at power forward with Williams injury, he has addressed how Marco is not close physically, and will benifit most banging and buildi g in the g-league to get stronger. They have high hopes for him.

Dawson is 20, the age the Bulls took the even more slight of build Simonovic, and looks to be a 2nd round type guy. Marginal guys at 20, very similar strength and weaknesses.. Where will Dawson be NBA ready wise at 23? Will Marco be ready next year at 23? What is the best route to prepare? Those are the questions for marginal guys with upside, but with physical questions like Dawson and Marco.

One area I do disagree is that they would have optional conditioning and weights once they leave college. That is not how it works anymore at the pro level. It is very regimented and Individually detailed, a part of the job, ran by the team. They can do additional, but the team regiment is well organized and a huge emphasis wherever he chooses. Probably more so at the next level with added time allotment for full time training.

As for the not star level guys sticking and earlier entries not that has little to a negative correlation. If they were marginal after 4 years or 1 year of college, the earlier entries actually have a better "lasting" percentage then 4 year guys. The roster bench player percentages show it, and it is growing. You can do it either way though. There are plenty of each who get sent packing and plenty of each who develop and stick full time multi year. Marginal like Berry, Hicks, Theo, Meeks, Marcus etc 4 year guys. If you are 2nd round or free agent marginal you need to improve in areas to get that long term contract.
Again, Garcia is not today in the G-League, why is that? The reason is the same as any kid that shows talent in the sport, the dream is to play in the NBA, not the minor leagues. Did Garcia make a poor decision to play college ball this season? I submit he made the right decision IF there was a decision for him to make (meaning if even the G-League was not an option due to scouts feeling he was not at that point yet). The G-league is filled with guys that if they played in college excelled there or at very least had a measurable advantage or flashed big time potential even if it were not consistent.

Garcia would be a 4 in the NBA, he would be smoked if he even tried to play the 3 and the 5 is just out of the question. You have watched Garcia play this season, you tell me, what NBA power forward is Dawson going to be able to defend? In the G league, again, what power forward is he going to defend, when most every one of those G-league power forwards were big time college players? Bacot to me is much more a guy that could do much better in the G-league because he has the bulk to throw around on that 6'10" frame. Not looking to trash the kid but ball don't lie and we have seen some ball this season. The reason Garcia is not in the G right now is the NBA does not see him at that level and it really does not matter what he thinks, what I or anyone else thinks, the scouts tell the ownership who is a reasonable draft choice and the coaches determine if a kid is ready to play now or needs G polishing, Garcia needs more than polishing. Look at it this way, if Garcia could not shoot, if as a 3pt shooter he was on par with leaky, would he even be starting for us right now? What other aspect of the game, outside of outside shooting is he in any way ready for the professional level of this sport? Garcia is starting now for the very same reason Kerwin started last season the rest of the aspects of the sport is at best questionable for them both.

I want to see Garcia dedicated to development physically, skill wise, and mindset (a guy that attacks defenses rather than take only what they are willing to give him). Seriously, Hubert has struggled to get the kid to run in his proper lanes in our UNC breaks, not that he is a bad kid but more that he seems to have others in his ears where maybe listening to his coaches and what they are trying to teach him and not worry about the NBA would be a better situation. You be the best player you can be at your current level and the next level will find you and Garcia is not near the best player he can be where he is at now. Garcia has long career in the NBA ability but those that have those long term NBA careers marry that ability with the hard work it takes to turn ability in to production and the hard work portion is where I have questions for the kid.

D this is not a either or. These are 2 routes available to develop. He will assess yearly his route. You are preaching to the choir that he is not a ready product, hell,he knows that, everyone involved knows that. He is currently mid 2nd to not drafted as is.

He will assess where and how he feels it is best to continue to do so at the end of the year, once again.

Last edited:
One of my former player/students did the exact same process to garner league feedback as Dawson. The only difference is he was testing the process after his junior season, Dawson did after his freshman year.

The feedback was not drafted free agent or low 2nd round, again very similar. He opted to return to Creighton. He had his Covid year eligibility if he wanted it for this year. Same feedback late 2nd/undrafted type. He remained in this time, knowing that prolly meant opting for the G league this time around. He did not get drafted, as expected, and had 3 G league offers to choose from hours after the draft. He opted for the Kings offer and is playing for the Stockton Kings now.

The official offers are given after you go updrafted as you are a free agent then. Non guaranteed 2nd rounders often are assigned to the drafting teams G league affiliate. Dawson certainly has that option last year as well as this year.

Dawson will evaluate again after this year, same thought process. He has the G league as an option as he did last year. Last year he opted to stay in school, but transfer to UNC. I do not think he will be be a 1st round grade after this year either. He will evaluate and either stay or opt G league, it seems we all agree it will be to develop where ever he chooses to do it at.

Caleb probably will have a similar decision, as will Mando. All are currently looking like longshots for a 1st round call again, all have eligibility left if they want to return. I doubt all 3 choose to return this time around though.

If they were/are NBA ready they would be gone, I have not heard anyone think they are as is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT