ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (COC game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and hopefully some wake-up calls were delivered.

Not gonna do the cliche "tale-of-two-halves" cop-out --- that doesn't cover it --- but allowing 50 points in a half... seriously? Anyway, here we go:

- Let's start there: First-half defense was almost nonexistent. Poor execution and poor game-plan (more on that below), and mostly poor EFFORT. Yep, our ol' trusty bugaboo --- EFFORT. Lazy forces, guys allowing themselves to get picked off by predictable screens, and late (or no) block/rim help.

- And speaking of the latter, Bacot looked like he was still on a TV set, and Nance like he was reading a newspaper on the backside block Jeezus H. As for screens, granted, COC (especially #35) threw more moving screens than the Green Bay Packers O-Line, but you can't count on those being called (especially in a Roger Ayers game) --- you hafta be tough and make that jabronie feel it when you're FIGHTING THRU, and put out the extra effort to beat the screener to the spot.

- OK, to the defensive game-plan: Look, sure we're good enough that we SHOULD be able to defend these guys with our base stuff, and sure, we want the guys to execute, but being stubbornly vanilla can become counter-productive to that end. I was briefly enticed when we snapped some doubles off their inbound plays (and it completely disrupted their action when we did it, BTW), I was let down from there. Mixiing in some snap doubles in 30/40 looks would have not only foiled COC's (largely successful) efforts at controlling tempo, but meanwhile, it would gave ignited our own, not to mention rev up the effort. Aggressive doubles would also put a stop to the nonsense of their guys being able to back into the block with impunity.

- What I'm assuming was a halftime blistering was fortunately able to light a fire under some butts, and the second-half defensive effort was light-years better --- both on and OFF the ball --- and the result showed for it. In paticular, we reacted better to those guys trying to play iso-ball.

- And speaking of effort, rebounding once again was disappointing. Opponents aren't just gonna stand there and concede boards just because we're bigger.

- Let's get to the positive --- THE most important adjustment from Monday's debacle was a COMMITMENT TO TRANSITION ftom the get-go. WOO-HOO! Good thing, too --- it sure as hell kept us the game in our defense-free first half... and fueled the 59 pts (and biscuits) in the 2nd. I figured recent practices featured mryiad 3-on-2-2-on-1 drills and a lotta running, and it showed. Sure it was clunky at times (Pete, stay the hell outta the sideline lanes --- you're a Big!), or like when Caleb would just throw up a random 3-pointer or RJ arbitrarily decided to do a Larry Drew ball-stopping imitation. But by and large, transition generated the best Carolina basketball we've seen of late. I mean, there were actual OUTLET PASSES(!!!).

- Y'know... amazing thing about our transition game --- if affords myriad opportunities to ATTACK THE RIM vs an unset defense. Amazing how that happens.

- The other adjustment that fueled the second half turnaround was POUNDING THE ROCK INSIDE on set plays. Right outta the Dean Smith playbook, we started with the first possession after the half.. Just as important, the Mando we know finally woke the hell up, AND we got him the rock DEEPER in the post.

- As for personnel, the other thing that kept us in the first half was Leaky's efficient and timely play. And honestly, I wish was even more aggressive --- he had a mismatch every time he touched the ball.

- Ball movenent was night-and-day better than Monday, and Caleb in particular was in his element attacking the rim off the Secondary.

- It's early... and not to bang on any player individually, Hubert needs to do better with the rotation --- particularly some of the seat-of-the-pants substitution patterns that created clunky stretches in both halves. There were positives from everyone as well as lapses, but from what these eyes gleaned, there should have been a bit more Dunn and Nickel, a bit less Trimble, and Styles will never find a rhythm at this rate of usage.

Anyway, one last point about transition: Ain't it amazin' that we only had 8 TOs, huh? We ran more, passed more and pushed tempo... and nonetheless took care of the rock. Aggression can have its rewards. Hmm... imagine that. Let's hope that becomes a habit...... :cool:

Last edited:
I believe at one time I saw one CofC guy get an offensive rebound with 4 white jerseys just standing around. Wasn’t crazy about RJ back to old dribble the crap out of the ball and then turn it over… same play Love threw his hands up and threw a tantrum because he didn’t get the ball then turned his back and walked away. WTF? At least Hubert called a time out right after that and told Caleb you can’t do that. Oh well it’s early. Was nice to see Bacot take over in the second half.

Living in Indiana I’ll tell you one thing I’m already tired of getting numerous texts from buddies asking me what’s wrong them as they hope UNC loses.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I believe at one time I saw one CofC guy get an offensive rebound with 4 white jerseys just standing around. Wasn’t crazy about RJ back to old dribble the crap out of the ball and then turn it over… same play Love threw his hands up and threw a tantrum because he didn’t get the ball then turned his back and walked away. WTF? At least Hubert called a time out right after that and told Caleb you can’t do that. Oh well it’s early. Was nice to see Bacot take over in the second half.

Living in Indiana I’ll tell you one thing I’m already tired of getting numerous texts from buddies asking me what’s wrong them as they hope UNC loses.
It's funny because on that play that Love did that... RJ got stuck and tried to throw the ball to Love who now was so far out of position that the ball got picked on the pass. lol

Reactions: Indy_Heel
Looking at the stat line I was actually shocked that we were 30-38 on 2 point FG’s. That’s very encouraging. Our free throw % was 71.1% as we went 27-38. Missing front ends of one in one, Caleb going 8-11 and missing 3. Armando was struggling at the line at first but he ended up going a respectable 8-12 and Leaky missed 2 going 1-3. RJ could never get into any kind of a rhythm. RJ’s continuous dribbling display seemed to not only aggravate me (which who cares) but his teammates as well. Through the first 2 games at least he has reverted back to the first part of last year by having his head down and dribbling too much.The guys are learning to gel with one another and of course that takes some time but they are making the game a lot harder than it needs to be. Instead of making very simple and fundamental passes they are dribbling way too much and over penetrating at times. We were very fortunate on some of the charging and blocking calls. I said this last year that I would have loved to see our players learn and attempt to take charges. This could be a great asset for Caleb and RJ especially. Kenny Williams was exceptional in that department. RJ and Caleb repeatedly got backed down for layups. Pete is missing cutters and guys rolling to the basket a lot. Once again just Basic plays that our guys are failing to make which in turn is making scoring and the game a lot harder than it needs to be. Rebounds?!? No one is boxing out! Our guys simply just are not boxing out at all. Pete, Armando and Leaky have to start doing this as well as our guards boxing out guys flying in from the perimeter. Show some effort and heart guys! Every time a player steps out onto the floor is like a job interview as it is building their resume for all to see. All the little details matter, especially effort. All in all I was proud of the guys persevering in the second half. I know that we can all attest to a team and players who end up having career nights against us. Lol🙄

Good analysis fellas. C of C was crashing the boards and we were not boxing out. The Cougars were backing
our guards down and going over them. Where were the double-teams to shut this off?
Fundamentals and effort come and go with this team so far; let’s play some DES, Carolina-style hoops from now on guys.
Our talent is superior, we must show deliberate effort for forty and raise our basketball lQ. There is so
much potential here! GDTBATH

Last edited:
It's funny because on that play that Love did that... RJ got stuck and tried to throw the ball to Love who now was so far out of position that the ball got picked on the pass. lol
Stop making excuses for RJ. I told y’all Mr. Dribbles excessive dribbling was pissing off his teammates.

I'm already tired of the Nance experiment. He's had a huge size advantage in both games yet only gathered 4 rebounds in 2 games, 67 game minutes! I'll take Styles with his effort and rebounding ability even with the handle issues. Styles has 4 rebounds in 7 minutes of game time!!

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Thanks, Gary, for your contribution I enjoyed that summary.

Before I comment on this game, I want all of you to appreciate a truism that Hubert delivered during the closing minute or so of his post-game press conference.

He stated that each year is a new team and a new beginning, and it doesn't matter if you have the whole team coming back or a lot of new faces. The building and chemistry begins with practice #1 and grows from that point on. Growth and maturity is a separate entity with teams every year. He pointed out that he feels that this team and we as fans, expect last April's performances and that's not realistic or possible because circumstances and personnel changes will make every team that they play different than last year.

Another point he mentioned was that this team is currently playing under the pressure of EXPECTATIONS due to their play in the last half of last season. Finally...., of note, he mentions the 3 things that have to be consistent for this team to rise above last year's team in success. He termed it as "Checking Boxes".

1. The team has to play defense. Acceptable defense has been sporadic but is not concerned as it takes some games to get in a defensive rhythm, but each player will buy in or not play. I took this to mean that several are getting no minutes or very limited minutes because they lack defensive acuity.

2. They have to rebound. He was very specific in mentioning that this has to improve and will improve. I have personally watched both games and have watched our guys stand around watching the ball and no one putting a body on an opposing player to block out and just forfeiting rebounds...., there is NO excuse for this. We should all anticipate better rebounding going forth.

3. They must limit T/O's. Don't know about the rest of you, but I have been very pleasantly surprised that our ball security has been quite good these first 2 games as we are averaging less than 10 a game. I don't know if that will continue, buy I sure have hope that it will.

As far as the actual game went, I think Gary and several others have covered the salient points of the game, so no need to be redundant.

Several interesting happenings during this game.

1. John Gaffney who was the older referee showed off his NE upbringing during the game. The CoC players were trying to mix it up under the basket after a TO and he stepped in and said very loudly " ALL RIGHT, CUT THE BULL SHIT, I MEAN CUT THE BULL SHIT! I SAW IT ALL! That was directed at the CoC players and made me laugh to hear that in what I call the Brooklyn brogue. Too funny.

2. Roger Ayers telling a complainant CoC player about an OOB ball. He said: "Would you rather have a foul and lose the ball? I'm trying you give you a break, your choice".

As for player observations, I watched both Trimble and Nickel. When you add Trimble to our lineup along with Caleb and RJ, it creates an interesting dynamic
if the other team is playing small and CoC played with 4 guards the majority of the game. Not only does our offensive flow get smoother, but our defense also gets a lot better.

Trimble is a defensive nightmare, and his exceptional quickness caused him at least one foul that he did not commit, and Roger Ayers gave Spearman a questionable look on one call because he was closer to that particular play and did did not see a foul evidently. On another play at the basket, Trimble blocked their forwards shot cleanly with no body contact and I guess Spearman could not believe he could do that without fouling, but the replay screen was very clear on this one, he never bodied the player. The kid has some serious ups.

Nickle needs more experience period. Of this, I know well, as it takes a tall player
(i.e.) over 6'5" who did not have to play a lot of defense in HS a bit more practice time and playing time to get to his tipping point on defense. Whether he improves sooner rather than later is to be seen. One thing you surely have noticed is that he is not afraid of the moments he gets court time, and he can shoot. I've watched him on several occasions during hard 5 on 5 practices repetitively make shots from beyond the arc all around the circle and he will be of great benefit offensively this year. He is not as slow as most think. What makes him look slower is that he is thinking too much and not reacting. Sometimes it's better to react and get coached up than let your man score and lose confidence.

As for Pete Nance: Don't know about you, but I think he has been way to shy offensively. While I appreciate his desire to defer, he can be so much more if he asserts himself and takes more shots. Hubert shouted at him several times to SHOOT, but he just passed off. Nance is a very good offensive player when in rhythm. Taking so few shots is not helping but hurting the offense. He's going to miss some shots and more than anyone wants him to for a while, but to get and stay in an offensive groove or rhythm, he needs to shoot more often and just not be a facilitator. If, and when he does this will open up the floor for everyone else and our secondary break can kill opposing teams if this happens. Hope for it is all I can say.

2-0 is as good as it gets so far. Should be ample opportunities for all the players not getting minutes on Tuesday against GW.

Be patient all and let the team's chemistry formulate itself.

Last edited:

I understand. I live here as well. UNC has a few more games to figure things out and they better because they are going into a hornet’s nest with that game. It will be crazy in there, probably as loud or louder than a Dook game and IU will try to come out with a knockout punch. Gotta weather the early storm.

Reactions: tarwhiz
62 minutes against 2 shorter-than-average creampuffs and Armando still doesn't have a double in rebounding.

Is there a reason for this that a layman can understand?

Nance is going to need to be replaced by Puff when healthy or Nickel. I can tell everyone is looking for him to be Manek but he’s not. Nance looks scared and lost out there. Hubert makes zero plays for Nance like he did with Manek. The defense does not key in on Nance like they did Manek. Manek opened up the floor with his deep ball threat and the defense constantly keying in on him. Nance is not playing good defense or rebounding well either.

Nickel would be a huge deep ball threat that would open up the offense. Same with Puff.

Reactions: xtarheelx
66 minutes against 2 shorter-than-average creampuffs and Nance only has 4 rebounds.

[Yes, I just cut and pasted my previous comment with a couple of changes.]

Nance is going to need to be replaced by Puff when healthy or Nickel. I can tell everyone is looking for him to be Manek but he’s not. Nance looks scared and lost out there. Hubert makes zero plays for Nance like he did with Manek. The defense does not key in on Nance like they did Manek. Manek opened up the floor with his deep ball threat and the defense constantly keying in on him. Nance is not playing good defense or rebounding well either.

Nickel would be a huge deep ball threat that would open up the offense. Same with Puff.
I fully expect Nance to come on strong at some point. But, yeah, I was definitely thinking that T-Nick should be getting more burn.

I guess if you are Hubert you want to give Pete all the PT to help him get there quicker. Which probably makes sense.

I wonder what the hold-up is?

I've only been able to watch highlights from the first 2 games, so I may be way off on this, but several times I noticed Nance standing out beyond the arc. You know, sort of like Brady used to. Except that the ball wasn't getting to him. So he just ended up looking clueless and useless.

But if that's what Hubert is telling him to do, maybe I shouldn't be down on Pete for it.

We also lost the big to big passing Manek and Bacot had going on last year. Nance seems like he is too busy watching what is going on instead of being apart of the game. I feel like we are better situated to play 4 out and have Nance just back up Bacot. Nance only really provides set defense (he doesn't help others much).

If Nance shot that well from 3 last year, it appears to be fluky. His form seems quite awkward to have been that consistent, and he seems to only shoot if as open as Leaky. Hubert screamed for Nance to shoot a 3 last night and Nance refused and just dribbled towards the defender.

Maybe he needs to mesh, but the ball watching thing isn't something I would assume is a meshing issue.

Regarding Love and Davis. I have noticed Love purposely at times passes to people other than Davis despite what the normal pass would dictate. There seems to be either animosity between the two or Love gets petty whenever RJ doesn't pass him the ball when he wants it. We thought we saw this at the beginning of the year last year too.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Plentry of good and plenty of bad, especially with some of the individual play and fit.

Caleb is our engine, tons of horse power just have to watch for getting loose with it and careening over a a cliff from time to time. He shot 3's poorly (lack of rhythm looks) but absolutely took the game by the horns in the 2nd half. Finished well in the paint, dropped dimes, crashed to dee rebound, pushed the rock. He has that next gear.

Mando may want to stick around in college indefinitely. He seemed slower and struggled to guard the Euro away from the paint. His body looks less toned, not tip top, and his shooting touch still nothing to write home about and he was slow with poor decisions passing out of the double teams.

2nd half he established deep position and played bully ball which he can do great at the college level, especially with the undersized Charleston.

Leaky was PERFECT from the floor, shot with confidence, the vetern glue guy that is so valuable.

RJ had a rough night.they attacked his size backed him into the paint, and he never seemed to find his rhythm on offense. He will bounce back.

Nance has skills, but is not physical enough. Pete has been nonexistent on the glass and is only attempting 4 shots per game to this point. With increased comfort, hopefully he comes out of his shell

Dunn showed some spunk, gave solid minutes, but Seth brings that energy which rightfully earned him those minutes last night.

Nickel was great on offense, he has that innate scorers mentality. He gives good effort on dee working with some of his limitations there. He is showing how you earn minutes.

Trez looks like he is playing with oven mitts on. Sheesh, catch the ball. On dee he is still a foul waiting to be called whenever guarding someone off the dribble. He needs to settle in or a niche role may be all he has this year.

Last edited:
We also lost the big to big passing Manek and Bacot had going on last year. Nance seems like he is too busy watching what is going on instead of being apart of the game. I feel like we are better situated to play 4 out and have Nance just back up Bacot. Nance only really provides set defense (he doesn't help others much).

If Nance shot that well from 3 last year, it appears to be fluky. His form seems quite awkward to have been that consistent, and he seems to only shoot if as open as Leaky. Hubert screamed for Nance to shoot a 3 last night and Nance refused and just dribbled towards the defender.

Maybe he needs to mesh, but the ball watching thing isn't something I would assume is a meshing issue.

Regarding Love and Davis. I have noticed Love purposely at times passes to people other than Davis despite what the normal pass would dictate. There seems to be either animosity between the two or Love gets petty whenever RJ doesn't pass him the ball when he wants it. We thought we saw this at the beginning of the year last year too.
The whole team is pissed at RJ for the excessive dribbling and selfishness. Love is a willing passer and great playmaker…..you saw it last night.

Don’t try to make this about Love. RJ ‘The Dribbler” Davis is killing the chemistry of this team….he read his press clippings.

While The Leader of Men had 25, 9, 6 and 2.

I also loved that Hubert called a timeout after Caleb was demonstrably upset after RJ missed him. That timeout was mainly to let Caleb know the arm flailing toward a teammate and mid play pout is not OK.

Starters minutes: Caleb -38, RJ -35, Mando -34, Nance -33, Leaky -29. A couple more lower level teams coming up, maybe the bench crew can earn some more meaningful minutes?

I also loved that Hubert called a timeout after Caleb was demonstrably upset after RJ missed him. That timeout was mainly to let Caleb know the arm flailing toward a teammate and mid play pout is not OK.

Starters minutes: Caleb -38, RJ -35, Mando -34, Nance -33, Leaky -29. A couple more lower level teams coming up, maybe the bench crew can earn some more meaningful minutes?
I’m glad Love flailed his arms and I’m glad HD called the time out. Now RJ knows for sure that the team is aware of his B.S.

Really somebody had to show the frustration although you could see it in Bacot’s face.

Now the next step is for HD to tell RJ face to face to stop the dribbling and move the damn ball!

Maybe Nance will find his groove with this team but he’s a very different player than Manek and it’s showing by the way the team is trying to adjust on the offensive end. Manek bailed us out so many times with his shooting ability and Nance is not that kind of player.

Looking at the stat line I was actually shocked that we were 30-38 on 2 point FG’s. That’s very encouraging. Our free throw % was 71.1% as we went 27-38. Missing front ends of one in one, Caleb going 8-11 and missing 3. Armando was struggling at the line at first but he ended up going a respectable 8-12 and Leaky missed 2 going 1-3. RJ could never get into any kind of a rhythm. RJ’s continuous dribbling display seemed to not only aggravate me (which who cares) but his teammates as well. Through the first 2 games at least he has reverted back to the first part of last year by having his head down and dribbling too much.The guys are learning to gel with one another and of course that takes some time but they are making the game a lot harder than it needs to be. Instead of making very simple and fundamental passes they are dribbling way too much and over penetrating at times. We were very fortunate on some of the charging and blocking calls. I said this last year that I would have loved to see our players learn and attempt to take charges. This could be a great asset for Caleb and RJ especially. Kenny Williams was exceptional in that department. RJ and Caleb repeatedly got backed down for layups. Pete is missing cutters and guys rolling to the basket a lot. Once again just Basic plays that our guys are failing to make which in turn is making scoring and the game a lot harder than it needs to be. Rebounds?!? No one is boxing out! Our guys simply just are not boxing out at all. Pete, Armando and Leaky have to start doing this as well as our guards boxing out guys flying in from the perimeter. Show some effort and heart guys! Every time a player steps out onto the floor is like a job interview as it is building their resume for all to see. All the little details matter, especially effort. All in all I was proud of the guys persevering in the second half. I know that we can all attest to a team and players who end up having career nights against us. Lol🙄
Brother, there is a lotta truth in this reply. That gaudy 30/38 om 2-pointers was a DIRECT result of triggering things with TRANSITION. Simple fact is, it's a lot easier to get to the rack vs an unset defense.

You're also correct about Pete missing or late hitting cutters, and when he did, it came on set plays in which he was tasked ahead of time with that specific pass. Moreover, Pete needs to embrace that he's a Big first and foremost. He and Mando need to work those T-Game angles over and over, as in most games one of them is gonna have a height mismatch.

And yes (arrrggh), the lack of blocking out needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
62 minutes against 2 shorter-than-average creampuffs and Armando still doesn't have a double in rebounding.

Welp, until last night's second half, as I said, it has looked like he still thinks he's shooting a TV show. That beast EFFORT from last season that seemingly got him every rebound finallly crept back in.

Welp, until last night's second half, as I said, it has looked like he still thinks he's shooting a TV show. That beast EFFORT from last season that seemingly got him every rebound finallly crept back in.
Money changes people…..until it dries up

75 nailed it. The things we remember manak doing were mostly from the 2nd half of the season moving forward. It’s a long season and it will take time for nance to find his roll on this team. The talent is definitely there, they just have to trust the process and I like our chances come March/April.

I will keep this short and to the point.
Great analysis as always Gary, TH75. And dtodd good points as well.

Hubert should bench Caleb and RJ for the 1st half on Tuesday.
Win or lose he needs to send a "strong" message right now if this team is going to play again in the finals. Whatever those two got going on must stop now.
Pete is the new guy but a subtle message to him wouldn't hurt either. "Dude you can't average 2rbs/game and stay on the floor 30+ minutes". We need more or you sit more.

Win or lose he needs to send a "strong" message right now if this team is going to play again in the finals. Whatever those two got going on must stop now.
Pete is the new guy but a subtle message to him wouldn't hurt either. "Dude you can't average 2rbs/game and stay on the floor 30+ minutes". We need more or you sit more.
Stop trying to
Lump Love in with RJ….Mr. Dribbles is the issue. And I’m happy Love showed his frustration with it in the game because RJ is out of control and think he is above reproach. Now RJ knows his teammates don’t like the dribbling….dribbling…dribbling

Lol…..if HD don’t put an end to RJ’s dribbling….he will soon start this Curly O’Neal routine

Look guys... this back-and-forth on RJ and Caleb ultimately isn't helpful --- neither on the court, nor in discussions here. An objective look indeed shows RJ still pounding the ball too much... and also that Caleb's shot-selection sometimes still leaves a lot to be desired.

So... what is the source? Being perfectly frank, both of those bad habits stem back to last season's tactical shortcuts adjusting to our personnel situation. Remember that RJ was being ENCOURAGED to initiate our half-cout offense with the dribble (via the schemed forced switches), and that Caleb often played hero-ball when motion broke down. Now, in fairness, both of those pathologies proved key components of our March run with the short rotation when we (fortunately) fell into a timely hot-streak, but they were shortcuts nonetheless.

Unfortunately, we're feeling the carry-over, not to mention the hangover, and Game-1 Monday was certainly that --- bleah! More than anything the UNCW game exposed the hangover from abandoning so much of our transition game last season --- dribble, no ball-movement and only 4 dadgummed Assists. The good news is that step-one of the cure is returning to Carolina TRANSITION, and we took thet step last night.

But here's the thing y'all --- that's gonna be a PROCESS... a process that entails breaking the aforementioned respective bad habits of our backcourt mates. And here's the other thing (no matter who your "guy" is) --- fact is we don't have a natural PG on the roster, so this has to be LEARNED behavior, which right now involves UNLEARNING these leftover bad habits.

To that end, it's ultmately on the coaching staff now to relentlessly preach transition (which of course means reinforcing Carolina concepts of ball-movement with minimal dribbling, and looking for the open man, driving lanes and rhythm looks, before forcing up jumpers),

Fact is, we saw some promising progress last night, but meanwhile, a new chemistry needs to evolve. Pass ahead, swing the ball, move without the ball, and keep your temorary frustrations with a teammate in the huddle --- not on the court.

Look guys... this back-and-forth on RJ and Caleb ultimately isn't helpful --- neither on the court, nor in discussions here. An objective look indeed shows RJ still pounding the ball too much... and also that Caleb's shot-selection sometimes still leaves a lot to be desired.

So... what is the source? Being perfectly frank, both of those bad habits stem back to last season's tactical shortcuts adjusting to our personnel situation. Remember that RJ was being ENCOURAGED to initiate our half-cout offense with the dribble (via the schemed forced switches), and that Caleb often played hero-ball when motion broke down. Now, in fairness, both of those pathologies proved key components of our March run with the short rotation when we (fortunately) fell into a timely hot-streak, but they were shortcuts nonetheless.

Unfortunately, we're feeling the carry-over, not to mention the hangover, and Game-1 Monday was certainly that --- bleah! More than anything the UNCW game exposed the hangover from abandoning so much of our transition game last season --- dribble, no ball-movement and only 4 dadgummed Assists. The good news is that step-one of the cure is returning to Carolina TRANSITION, and we took thet step last night.

But here's the thing y'all --- that's gonna be a PROCESS... a process that entails breaking the aforementioned respective bad habits of our backcourt mates. And here's the other thing (no matter who your "guy" is) --- fact is we don't have a natural PG on the roster, so this has to be LEARNED behavior, which right now involves UNLEARNING these leftover bad habits.

To that end, it's ultmately on the coaching staff now to relentlessly preach transition (which of course means reinforcing Carolina concepts of ball-movement with minimal dribbling, and looking for the open man, driving lanes and rhythm looks, before forcing up jumpers),

Fact is, we saw some promising progress last night, but meanwhile, a new chemistry needs to evolve. Pass ahead, swing the ball, move without the ball, and keep your temorary frustrations with a teammate in the huddle --- not on the court.
Gary you are correct but I’m glad Love got frustrated with it….now it’s out there and RJ have to respond or HD have to respond. The great players will show their frustration on the court…. I saw JB do it….so did MP

Yes sir Love still take a few shots that make you go hhhuuuummmm. They always seems to be the 3 ball too. HD can put an end to that too.

On another note, If Love leaves after this season, we sure better get Cadeau. These young players will transfer if a starting PG just dribbling. As a matter of fact….we can’t afford not to get Cadeau.

The TO at the 5:38 mark was for the very thing you mentioned about Caleb. If you recall, just prior to that TO Davis made the mistake of standing and dribbling the ball and Caleb was on the left wing wanting the ball, RJ didn't pass after he motioned to him several times. He then proceeded to drop his arms in disgust and walked away toward center court quite perturbed. Davis then dribbled into traffic and tried to make a pass and turned it over. When next we had the ball Hubert calls TO and grabs Caleb and it was plain that he said "We can't have that" several times to Caleb.
Caleb affirmed with a headshake, and we went on to play much better afterword. Sorta of the same issue as last year. The team and Hubert will alleviate that problem.

Amen Gary. Hubert got Caleb at the 5:38 time out and had some strong words with him. Not saying it was all Caleb's doing, as RJ should have passed it out at least 10 seconds before he turned it over, and as you correctly brought to the boards attention neither are LG's and this type of behavior has to be unlearned again as it was last year.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Gary you are correct but I’m glad Love got frustrated with it….now it’s out there and RJ have to respond or HD have to respond. The great players will show their frustration on the court…. I saw JB do it….so did MP

Yes sir Love still take a few shots that make you go hhhuuuummmm. They always seems to be the 3 ball too. HD can put an end to that too.

On another note, If Love leaves after this season, we sure better get Cadeau. These young players will transfer if a starting PG just dribbling. As a matter of fact….we can’t afford not to get Cadeau.
Look Grover, I know you Love Caleb, as do I, but who got pulled over for a conference with Hubert? This attitude has surfaced before and cannot be tolerated, and I agree that RJ put on a dribbling exhibition before it culminated in a T/O. As Gary mentioned these attitudes and playing styles are chemistry poison and have to be dealt with immediately. I do want to acknowledge that Caleb was penitent and agreed with Hubert that his actions were not acceptable, and I am sure RJ got his admonishment.
Time to move on, it's part of growing as a team.

Amen Gary. Hubert got Caleb at the 5:38 time out and had some strong words with him. Not saying it was all Caleb's doing, as RJ should have passed it out at least 10 seconds before he turned it over, and as you correctly brought to the boards attention neither are LG's and this type of behavior has to be unlearned again as it was last year.
As I said before, I’m glad Love displayed his disgust because if you let it slide…RJ will continue this foolishness all season. Love just did what Bacot was thinking….thank you Caleb!

Look Grover, I know you Love Caleb, as do I, but who got pulled over for a conference with Hubert? This attitude has surfaced before and cannot be tolerated, and I agree that RJ put on a dribbling exhibition before it culminated in a T/O. As Gary mentioned these attitudes and playing styles are chemistry poison and have to be dealt with immediately. I do want to acknowledge that Caleb was penitent and agreed with Hubert that his actions were not acceptable, and I am sure RJ got his admonishment.
100% ^^^

Caleb is smart….he sent a message to RJ knowing full well HD wouldn’t like it.

Now I’m hard on RJ because he knows better. Although he is not a true PG…he should know that UNC PG’s pass ahead and is not a one man dribbling machine….and he should know by now that all offense goes through your All-American big man!

Caleb is smart….he sent a message to RJ knowing full well HD wouldn’t like it.

Now I’m hard on RJ because he knows better. Although he is not a true PG…he should know that UNC PG’s pass ahead and is not a one man dribbling machine….and he should know by now that all offense goes through your All-American big man!
C'mon man. Whatever the cause, Hubert was 100% right -- we just can't have that. Showing up teammates on the court is counterproductive and will erode team chemistry faster than anything, whether or not there was a legit beef. And being perfectly honest, trying to mitigate that is not helping the level of discussion here either.

So... how about we just feel good about the way Hubert handled it and pull for continued progress from both players?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT