ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Iowa game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and that one was simultaneously maddening and tantalyzing.

I mean, look, going in this was not a game I was naive enough to think we should win, but it certainly was one I thought we could win. Turns out both those scenarios were legitimately on the table.... and at this point, that's ok. That said, our bunch o' pups took on a very good, very experienced team on their home floor and in that scenario there's just some things you can't expect to get away with, as follows:

- No urgency out of the gate (again). At 7:42 pm the Carolina guy amongst my AAU coach buds texted me "What the hell are we running?". Decorum precludes me from repeating my exact answer but the lack of running in general was glaring --- not getting anywhere with purpose, half-assing swings on the Secondary, no close-outs on 3s.

- Giving the ball away on careless passes, or not creating angles for those passes in the first place.

- Missing FTs in key spots.

- Not finishing thru contact (which there was a lot of)

The good news:

- We didn't let Garza beat us. Sharpe battled like a grown-ass man, but when they started calling our Bigs for everything and Sharpe had to go out that opened their door in the paint.

- The question was raised in another thread earlier about our lack of Assists, and I pointed to our lack of commitment and execution in the transition game. After a slow start we finally got that going and the points and dimes came along for the ride. We scored more points in Fast and/or Secondary Breaks (52) than we have in ages, and it fueled our comeback. Unfortunately our offense when we can't run still has a long way to go. I did see some improved execution of called plays, but experienced teams know how to play half-court ball. Hopefully that will come.

Random notes:

- If I needed any reminder of why I despise Big 10 officiating --- allowing football then inventing a ticky-tack --- there it was tonight. But that's another growth lesson going froward. Experienced teams are better at finishing thru contact and getting away with sh** on the other end.

- Kessler's length gave them fits at times but then they muscled him. Again. growing pains. And son, make some FTs!!! You're gonna get to the line.

- I like that Leaky was willing to take it to the hole but take it stronger! Yer 6'8!

- I still wish we would've scrambled more --- I mean when they're shooting like that against straight Man then whattaya got to lose?

- Caleb, bless his heart, has hit an early freshman "wall". The pressure on our PGs is to learn "when" and "when not to", and he's caught in between right now, and he's got the full-on yips on his shot. Young fella's got talent for days --- just gotta find his mojo.

- RJ got past a shaky start and he and Plates meshed well together during some of our best offensive moments. And good to see RJ make a pass-that-led-a-pass on the Secondary that resulted in a dunk (where we had been stalling before). I know it's subtle but I think seeing that success from doing what he's been taught got him going.

- I'm sure Roy will show video of this one to remind guys what happens when you get yourself out of position to close out (under control) on 3s. Let's just say I wasn't surprised to see a graphic about them setting a record for makes in one of these games.

Anyway, I'm not gonna fret too much because I saw some tantalyzing potential, and (hopefully) some lights coming on about our transition game. I know that I'm sure hoping the staff can pick up a game to replace Elon. We need as much real-game court time as we can get right now, and another big challenge coming up!...

-

Last edited:
Gary, I saw improvement tonight and I can live with the loss but what I can't live with is complete out bias officiating. Garza was allowed to throw elbows and mug at will with little to nothing called but if we breathed on him it was called. The block call on Bacot was flat out comical. Since when can you clear out with an elbow on your off arm to get space to shoot? As soon as we took the lead the refs completely changed the way the game was being called.

Gary, I saw improvement tonight and I can live with the loss but what I can't live with is complete out bias officiating. Garza was allowed to throw elbows and mug at will with little to nothing called but if we breathed on him it was called. The block call on Bacot was flat out comical. Since when can you clear out with an elbow on your off arm to get space to shoot? As soon as we took the lead the refs completely changed the way the game was being called.

Check out the comments by Fran Fraschilla about this crew, and he's not a UNC fan by any stretch of the imagination.

The good news:

- We didn't let Garza beat us. Sharpe battled like a grown-ass man, but when they started calling our Bigs for everything and Sharpe had to go out that opened their door in the paint.
He will be a average at best pro IMO. He won't get the flopping and tripping over his own feet calls in the NBA that he's getting in that part of the country, unless Iowa gets a NBA franchise

Random notes:

- If I needed any reminder of why I despise Big 10 officiating --- allowing football then inventing a ticky-tack --- there it was tonight. But that's another growth lesson going froward. Experienced teams are better at finishing thru contact and getting away with sh** on the other end.
Check out the comments about this crew by Fran Fraschilla, and we both know he's not a UNC fan.:mad:

- Kessler's length gave them fits at times but then they muscled him. Again. growing pains. And son, make some FTs!!! You're gonna get to the line.
He's missing 3 and 4 foot shots at times. He will be a load after a year in the weight room

- I like that Leaky was willing to take it to the hole but take it stronger! Yer 6'8!
Kid is so close to breaking out. So close!

- I still wish we would've scrambled more --- I mean when they're shooting like that against straight Man then whattaya got to lose? We got them rattled a few times before Barney Fife and the boys came to their rescue

- RJ got past a shaky start and he and Plates meshed well together during some of our best offensive moments. And good to see RJ make a pass-that-led-a-pass on the Secondary that resulted in a dunk (where we had been stalling before). I know it's subtle but I think seeing that success from doing what he's been taught got him going.
Agree!

- I'm sure Roy will show video of this one to remind guys what happens when you get yourself out of position to close out (under control) on 3s. Let's just say I wasn't surprised to see a graphic about them setting a record for makes in one of these games.
We are flying at shooters out of control every game so far. This has to be taught better. Wow

Anyway, I'm not gonna fret too much because I saw some tantalyzing potential, and (hopefully) some lights coming on about our transition game. I know that I'm sure hoping the staff can pick up a game to replace Elon. We need as much real-game court time as we can get right now, and another big challenge coming up!...
The last team Fran wants to see in March is UNC, on a neutral court. 👈

Fortunately, the rest of the acc looks awful! I think we will do really well in ACC play! This might be the worst dook team I’ve seen in the past 20 yrs! I liked some stuff from us tonight..we are definitely improving

Cut the turnovers down and make FT'S and they could have made this a closer game.

Those two factors are holding this team back.

Fix it and they will start winning against the better teams.

Execution of the offense and defense should continue to progress with practice, video review and gameplay

As mentioned the ACC is down this year so they should be able to navigate a strong ACC record

Last edited:
Excellent comments. Can someone please explain why team after team after team after team, year after year after year after year can shoot so many WIDE OPEN THREES against us? I have never understood why we cannot make whatever adjustments need to be made to stop or even slow down the onslaught. It is maddening.

The growing pains are going away slowly and Roys teams(even experienced ones) need games(not practice) to evolve and improve. We are showing improvement, some of our stretches are great. The freshman backcourt is causing most of the issues(everyone can see that) but that is not going to change. Roy is not going to change that combo, so the most obvious is to pull Bacot and insert Sharpe. Sharpes play warrants it.

Bacot would benefit from coming off the bench. His contribution to the team has always been rebounding. His scoring is only from dunks and put backs. He is always where the defenses expect him to be. That is not a starters mentality. Sharpe meshes better with the backcourt because he moves, creates openings for passes to the post area that the half court set does not. Even experienced Tar Heel teams fail in half court offensive execution. Our half court system has to be experienced(during live games) to develop(more practice time is never the answer). Sharpe enhances our half court system because he alters the defenses expectations. He has demonstrated already many glimpses of great post passing ability. He and Brooks are a special combo. Sharpe will learn with minutes how to stay out of foul trouble.

Sharpe is the starter. Time to make that move.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND and dlew71

I mean, look, going in this was not a game I was naive enough to think we should win, but it certainly was one I thought we could win. Turns out both those scenarios were legitimately on the table.... and at this point, that's ok. That said, our bunch o' pups took on a very good, very experienced team on their home floor and in that scenario there's just some things you can't expect to get away with, as follows:

- No urgency out of the gate (again). At 7:42 pm the Carolina guy amongst my AAU coach buds texted me "What the hell are we running?". Decorum precludes me from repeating my exact answer but the lack of running in general was glaring --- not getting anywhere with purpose, half-assing swings on the Secondary, no close-outs on 3s.

- Giving the ball away on careless passes, or not creating angles for those passes in the first place.

The good news:

- The question was raised in another thread earlier about our lack of Assists, and I pointed to our lack of commitment and execution in the transition game. After a slow start we finally got that going and the points and dimes came along for the ride. We scored more points in Fast and/or Secondary Breaks (52) than we have in ages, and it fueled our comeback. Unfortunately our offense when we can't run still has a long way to go. I did see some improved execution of called plays, but experienced teams know how to play half-court ball. Hopefully that will come.

Random notes:

- I still wish we would've scrambled more --- I mean when they're shooting like that against straight Man then whattaya got to lose?

- Caleb, bless his heart, has hit an early freshman "wall". The pressure on our PGs is to learn "when" and "when not to", and he's caught in between right now, and he's got the full-on yips on his shot. Young fella's got talent for days --- just gotta find his mojo.

-

Very well done Gary, thanks.

I can't add much to what has been posted already. I do like that we are showing some progress on both sides of the game. I did notice that the Garza kid was allowed to use his chicken wing elbow into the sides and chests of our big guys to create his space to operate. The officials never called it once, as I remember. That's a strategy that I personally employed during my days as a player and in the ACC you will get that called more times than not, not so in the BIG10, I suppose. It will be called outside of BIG 10 play, in particular in the NCAA Tournament.

Listening to Coach Williams post game, TO's, missed FT's , followed by shooting percentages, were the 3 biggest culprits in this loss. Agreed.

ETA: In his post game presser, Roy mentioned that the players had been instructed to not help in the post and to stay out on their man on the perimeter and they evidently reverted to help defense which Roy said that he had to constantly remind them to stay with the perimeter guys and deny the 1st pass off and that usually will stymie a perimeter look. The guys did not do it and, of course, we see the result..,17 mostly wide open 3 pointers.

Not saying that I disagree with Roy's take on that particular point, but.., their shooters were open to the point that it was just like a practice shoot a round
for the Iowa players. That's way too open.

One foul was called on Kessler where Garza tripped on his foot. That was not a foul, that was travelling on Garza. Our big had his feet set and has a right to his space and Garza tripped over his foot going to the basket, just one of several very questionable calls I thought. That officiating crew was also questionable, however, you play with what you got.

Caleb is still suffering from aau-itis and still is taking some questionable shots and still has ball security issues, while RJ seems to have come to understand valuing the ball more at this early stage. As you said, we came out flat and had to fight the entire game to get back in it, and to the team's credit, they did just that. Iowa had 65% of their scoring back and are a veteran team and that also showed in how they used another gear to pull ahead after we caught up and that's what a good and veteran team does. If there is such a thing as an acceptable loss (I personally don't subscribe to that line of thinking), then, this could be characterized as one I suppose.

I was just very cautiously optimistic that we might steal this one and give a huge boost to the team's confidence level. However, the team's play as a whole, is showing improvement in some areas and that's encouraging at this stage early in the season.
One key for success will be continued improvement in both phases, along with the return of Ant Harris who, after getting his game legs, will offer the opportunity to sit Caleb for stretches and let him just watch the game and that in itself can help him to make some needed adjustments to improve his play and team play overall.

All in all, I felt like we grew some from this game. On to NCCU and then Ohio State now.

Last edited:
Agree with the consensus here.

I thought we showed remarkable improvement. I loved RJ showing a bit of grit and putting the team on his shoulders for our run to take the lead. I also liked our focus on transition, which was obvious something Roy hammered into the team in between games.

We lost to the #3 team on their home court when they shot unconscious from 3. Can't be all that upset. I'm still very bullish on this team's long term potential this season.

Very well done Gary, thanks.

I can't add much to what has been posted already. I do like that we are showing some progress on both sides of the game. I did notice that the Garza kid was allowed to use his chicken wing elbow into the sides and chests of our big guys to create his space to operate. The officials never called it once, as I remember. That's a strategy that I personally employed during my days as a player and in the ACC you will get that called more times than not, not so in the BIG10, I suppose. It will be called outside of BIG 10 play, in particular in the NCAA Tournament.

One foul was called on either Sharpe or Bacot where Garza tripped on their foot. That was not a foul, that was travelling on Garza. Our big had his feet set and has a right to his space and Garza tripped over his foot going to the basket, just one of several very questionable calls I thought. That officiating crew was also questionable, however, you play with what you got.

Caleb is still suffering from aau-itis and still is taking some questionable shots and still has ball security issues, while RJ seems to have come to understand valuing the ball more at this early stage. As you said, we came out flat and had to fight the entire game to get back in it, and to the team's credit, they did just that. Iowa had 65% of their scoring back and are a veteran team and that also showed in how they used another gear to pull ahead after we caught up and that's what a good and veteran team does. If there is such a thing as an acceptable loss ( I personally don't subscribe to that line of thinking), then, this could be characterized as one I suppose.

I was just very cautiously optimistic that we might steal this one and give a huge boost to the team's confidence level. However, the team's play as a whole, is showing improvement in some areas and that's encouraging at this stage early in the season.
One key for success will be continued improvement in both phases, along with the return of Ant Harris who, after getting his game legs, will offer the opportunity to set Caleb for stretches and let him just watch the game and that in itself can help him to make some needed adjustments to improve his play and team play overall.

All in all, I felt like we grew some from this game. On to Ohio State now.
My boy was working last night he sent me a text asking what’s going on with all the and 1’s. I sent him videos of two of them that were totally horse crap. The one with Garza they showed from behind the basket. Walker was standing there. Garza lowered his head, wrapped his chicken wing around his back then tripped on Walker’s foot, tripped and fell and threw up the shot for the and 1. I’ve never seen a guy throw so many elbows and chicken wings and get away with it. He’s been doing it for the last couple years. The other video I sent my son was maybe the 4th foul on brooks where he was going for the rebound under the basket. He jumped straight up and the Iowa player came flying in and collided into Brooks and got the tip in and 1. Both going for the ball Iowa kid created the contact. Should have been a no call worst case foul on Iowa. That’s just a couple of the many. I don’t like to blame refs for my teams crappy play. Which UNC’s own play is most of the reason why we lost. However if you watched the game, that stretch where Brooks and Sharp started taking over you could it seemed like UNC teams of old. Then it almost felt like the refs decided they had money on Iowa and realized they should not allow this run to continue.

If the backcourt can figure it out and Love stop taking questionable shots, you can see some positives coming in the future. I was getting pumped watching Sharp decide he was tired of this crap and just imposed his will. If he plays like that every game watch out. That 4th foul on him was so bad and makes you think what the hell was he thinking. But he was into the game he was going after everything and was focused on the ball. I loved seeing him on the sidelines getting into it when they pulled him out. Not sure I remember seeing that intensity much last year.

Last year we lose this game by 40

Interesting, in that Garrison noted that last years team would have lost this game by 25 points, in his post game comments. We are growing and getting better. @dadika13 makes a good point in his brief comment above. Iowa is #3 in the nation, returns 65% of their offense, have much more experience, shot lights out from 3 and we still caught up with them for a short time. We have grit on this team and they don't give in, I really appreciate those qualities. Just need to get better incrementally.

Roy builds his teams by using this early portion of the season. It starts by practice with each other, moves typically to exhibition and pre-season games vs opponents, back to practice to work on the issues seen going against opponents, then rinse and repeat. It is playing the games and then being able to film study and work to handle the short comings that shows us that gradual build in to the unit Roy looks for. That of course has been a bit truncated in this covid environment to the extent that much that would typically handled vs lesser opponents is now having to be done vs harder competition. Not to mention we have just gone against very experienced teams that should have a solid advantage vs younger teams.

You should see gradual improvement based on the above and at times that improvement will show itself more than at other times but it time, when it comes together, we become very good. That improvement is a factor of individuals playing as much correctly as it is "better". Because we are dealing with individuals that have different responsibilities and roles with the team, those individuals "get it" ay different rates and at times (especially the freshmen) will have those games where they "forget" what they had learned so they have to re-learn. As the season goes on the learned lessons begin got become engrained and the re-learning lesson issues reduce.

Roy in his PC shared that after the trip to Asheville he had to give his players a good bit of down time to rest and the price for that was less practice time to work on those things we saw in Asheville. Not to mention that Brooks sprained foot limited his ability to practice at least up till Monday. So we see yet another slow start to the game for us and much better play second half to first. My point is I expect the practice sessions to really show fruit next time out, I saw some pay off in this game that should be able to be built on.

The first half showed us how much work still remains, the second half showed us we can play with any team in the country and the first 10mins of the second half showed we can be one of the best teams in the country when we play smart. That second half stalled out for us IMO when Sharpe picked up his 4th foul and Bacot being in foul trouble, Roy went to Kessler and the kid struggled with their inside strength.

It is hard to beat a team that is going to knock down 17 treys when you are not able to match a lot of those. So we of course need to guard the three ball better, not help as deep so we can recover on balance, and watch the passing lanes out to the spot up shooters. Iowa is as good as they are because they wrap 2 really good front court guys with 3 deadly shooters, doesn't hurt that 1 of those front court guys is a contender for the Wooden either!

Reactions: Archer2 and shun1
I believe Bacot should be benched in favor of Day'Ron but we know Roy is too loyal to do it. The offense and defense is so much more fluid with Day'Ron on the court. He processes things much faster than Bacot. He's a better passer, rebounder, defender and scorer in the post. The combo of Day'Ron and Brooks is way more productive. With this combo I can clearly see what the offense is running or trying to run. With Bacot it looks murky because he doesn't move well and he still looks like he's thinking about what he's going to do before doing it. No instincts. The run that we made in the 2nd half was with Day'Ron , Brooks, Leaky, Platek and RJ.

I believe Bacot should be benched in favor of Day'Ron but we know Roy is too loyal to do it. The offense and defense is so much more fluid with Day'Ron on the court. He processes things much faster than Bacot. He's a better passer, rebounder, defender and scorer in the post. The combo of Day'Ron and Brooks is way more productive. With this combo I can clearly see what the offense is running or trying to run. With Bacot it looks murky because he doesn't move well and he still looks like he's thinking about what he's going to do before doing it. No instincts. The run that we made in the 2nd half was with Day'Ron , Brooks, Leaky, Platek and RJ.

It's a possibility, that we may see this later on. Sharpe is not quite there yet on the defensive end. Not that he doesn't play defense well at times, it's the fact that he is too aggressive at times and the fouls come in short order for him. If Roy were to start him this early, and say he plays 5-8 more minutes, he will sit most likely the major parts of any given game due to foul trouble, as you can see even when he hasn't started. Working him in the way Roy has is best for him and the team thus far, but I expect, once he has his aggression under control, he can obviously play more minutes, and you may get your wish of him overtaking Bacot's starting spot.

Agree with the consensus here.

I thought we showed remarkable improvement. I loved RJ showing a bit of grit and putting the team on his shoulders for our run to take the lead. I also liked our focus on transition, which was obvious something Roy hammered into the team in between games.

We lost to the #3 team on their home court when they shot unconscious from 3. Can't be all that upset. I'm still very bullish on this team's long term potential this season.
RJ seems like he's already quite a good player offensively. Really excited to see how he continues to develop.

I feel like Leaky isn't much of an offensive threat so the defense can help off of him a lot. That said, I wonder how much of that stat coincides with Day'Ron on and off the court also.

I feel like Leaky isn't much of an offensive threat so the defense can help off of him a lot. That said, I wonder how much of that stat coincides with Day'Ron on and off the court also.

I have no idea or answer for you. I just thought that these stats tend to discredit Leaky's contribution to team play. I do know that in our best years under Roy, the 3 spot was manned by players like Green, Barnes, Justin Jackson, Cam Johnson, and going back to 05, with McCants playing 3 as opposed to Manuel.

These mentioned certainly provided dramatically better offense than Leaky while maybe not as great on defense. I don't promote one over the other in any scenario, just thought that those stats were interesting, if not telling..., or, it could encompass the old saying, " figures don't lie, but liars figure", I don't know which it is. May not matter at all.

The good news:

Random notes:

-
Big Ten refs generally do suck. What is maddening is when they call the game differently from the first half to the second. Your bigs got away with hacking the crap out of Garza in the first half and then then they called the fouls in the second. That being said, I didn't feel the refs were particularly helpful to UNC more than Iowa. Free throws were slightly skewed to UNC but Iowa shot more 3s.

Your team has fight in them and are only going to improve as the season progresses. Best of luck moving forward.

Reactions: shun1
No lies there.. How many of our games have you seen all 3 of our bigs with 4 fouls late in the 2nd half. I don't remember that ever happening.
Leaky also. Four guys with 4 fouls, with about 8-10 minutes to go in the game IIRC. Crazy. Not right.

It's a possibility, that we may see this later on. Sharpe is not quite there yet on the defensive end. Not that he doesn't play defense well at times, it's the fact that he is too aggressive at times and the fouls come in short order for him. If Roy were to start him this early, and say he plays 5-8 more minutes, he will sit most likely the major parts of any given game due to foul trouble, as you can see even when he hasn't started. Working him in the way Roy has is best for him and the team thus far, but I expect, once he has his aggression under control, he can obviously play more minutes, and you may get your wish of him overtaking Bacot's starting spot.
Looks like we got Central to take Elon's place Saturday. Sweet

Big Ten refs generally do suck. What is maddening is when they call the game differently from the first half to the second. Your bigs got away with hacking the crap out of Garza in the first half and then then they called the fouls in the second. That being said, I didn't feel the refs were particularly helpful to UNC more than Iowa. Free throws were slightly skewed to UNC but Iowa shot more 3s.

Your team has fight in them and are only going to improve as the season progresses. Best of luck moving forward.
I Will say that after neither team reaching the bonus in the first half it was telling that Iowa was in the double bonus with 11:30 to go in the second.

Good, we get a game in and these kids really need game time to continue the learning process and coach Moten gets a solid pay day for his program.

Finally watched the game ... painful, but promising.
Love is a beast at times, but I feel much more comfortable when RJ is running the show. Really liked Day'Ron's aggressivness, and AP's play was also stabilizing for this team. I really wish we had a vocal leader out there. That should be Garrison's job, but I don't think he has the personality for it. I think we're gonna have to wait for RJ to decide that he is gonna be the source of inspiration for this team ... maybe even AP or Day'Ron but noone else appears to have that kind of personality.
GO HEELS !!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT