ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Loyola game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this was about continuing and familiar themes..

- I'll start, however, with the starting lineup, and I can say in all honesty that it didn't really surprise me, because of a) what I saw in the exhibition, and b) what Hubert said about rewarding defense. Obviously, this could be fluid going forward. We'll see, but Brady was the defensive surprise of the exhibition (in a crafty Kennedy Meeks manner) and is a more consistent finisher than Garcia at this point. And I'll readily admit to being proud of Leaky for what appears to be an attitude adjustment since last season.

- Continuing sagas:
1. Making the "extra pass" is the magic formula for Carolina basketball, and when we did it the results were predictably good. When we didn't? Welp... that result was predictable as well.
2. Make no mistake, Caleb needs to be running the show when he's in --- period, end of story --- he's just a better player when he knows he has the keys, and Corey Alexander is not exaggerating in saying he could compete for ACC POY --- that is IF we keep him in that role. And IF we do, WE will be a contender.
3. RJ needs to learn to give up the rock and not pound the ball as a first instinct --- and that includes in transition. I counted 3 instances where giving it up would've resulted in an easy bucket. Keep the ball moving, score when you get the chance. Play to your strengths, young fella.
4. Shot-selection can't afford to go south. Rhythm-3s are easily 10 pct points more likely to go in than off the bounce.

- Biggest disappointments, even at this early stage, were a) poor execution on set plays, and b) missed finishes (I counted 9) in close by our frontcourt players. Garcia's were particularly concerning early, but to his credit he got stronger as the game went on.

- We defaulted to 21 again (like), but no multiplicity (no like).

- I still don't like the Big drives from the perimeter. I DO like the Hi-LO action however.

- Shaky stretch of FT shooting was concerning. Let's not get into that habit! We should be consistently around 75% and above.

Anyway, solid opening win (congrats Hubert!) with some promising moments. I still want to see more defensive creativity, but I was encouraged to see Caleb spend more time in his best role. I can only hope that will continue, no matter whom he shares the backcourt with... 😎

Last edited:
2. Make no mistake, Caleb needs to be running the show when he's in --- period, end of story --- he's just a better player when he knows he has the keys, and Corey Alexander is not exaggerating in saying he could compete for ACC POY --- that is IF we keep him in that role. And IF we do, WE will be a contender.
3. RJ needs to learn to give up the rock and not pound the ball as a first instinct --- and that includes in transition. I counted 3 instances where giving it up would've resulted in an easy bucket. Keep the ball moving, score when you get the chance. Play to your strengths, young fella.
4. Shot-selection can't afford to go south. Rhythm-3s are easily 10 pct points more likely to go in than off the bounce.
3. 100% agree. RJ is a ball hog right now. Not sure what he's trying to prove but it wasn't working.

4. It's going to take some time for me personally to get used to this new shot selection theme HD is employing We look like a version of dook, and that's not a compliment.

Reactions: jeans1515
3. 100% agree. RJ is a ball hog right now. Not sure what he's trying to prove but it wasn't working.

4. It's going to take some time for me personally to get used to this new shot selection theme HD is employing We look like a version of dook, and that's not a compliment.
Well, in fairness, the shot-selection is a work in progress. I still think Hubert would prefer the extra pass.

Interesting that the rotations were tighter than Roy would've done. I wonder if that's a philosophical difference or just some nerves and wanting to make sure the first game as a head coach starts out with a W. It certainly would've been a tough week and news cycle if we'd somehow lost that game.

Interesting that the rotations were tighter than Roy would've done. I wonder if that's a philosophical difference or just some nerves and wanting to make sure the first game as a head coach starts out with a W. It certainly would've been a tough week and news cycle if we'd somehow lost that game.
I think you may have answered your own question ;)

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I for one would have liked to have seen the freshmen a lot more, and not just in mop up time. Also, was Bacot not feeling well? He played only 17 minutes. After watching 2 games played, I hope there are enough shots to go around on this team. There are a lot of volume shooters, which is another reason I think Leaky will get a lot of run.

Reactions: jaluise
I for one would have liked to have seen the freshmen a lot more, and not just in mop up time. Also, was Bacot not feeling well? He played only 17 minutes. After watching 2 games played, I hope there are enough shots to go around on this team. There are a lot of volume shooters, which is another reason I think Leaky will get a lot of run.
Mando got into early foul trouble I believe. I listened to the game. They had D1 height

I don't have a problem with RJ handling the bulk of the ballhandling because he gets the ball quickly downcourt. If Hubert prefers this, I'm not going to complain at this juncture when we are winning games.

Caleb scored 22 points and should have had 25 if he would have hit his free throws. IMO, his freedom to roam around the court without handling the bulk of the ballhandling is a benefit. He had several wide-open shots and much more freedom to the basket.

Manek-Panic, what else can you say about the guy? Last night he had his inside game going. If he hits his outside shots, he would had been the top scorer last night. I think Brady Manek is a leader this team needs...he's incredible. Great footwork and timing in the post.

The value of having Garcia is that you can just move him to the 5 when Bacot gets in foul trouble, which we know will happen a lot this season.

Leaky didn't take an outside shot and that was probably by design. He played good defense and did a good job running the point. That would be a good formula for the rest of the year.

The defense on the 3-point shots looked much better.

Only one game....

Last edited:
Solid commentary Gary, thanks for your input.

As I was sitting in my seat pregame, I noticed that Linda Woods happened to be in the UNC tunnel with Hubert. For those who do not know, Mrs. Woods was the primary administrative assistant for Coach Smith and Coach Gut. She was "Mama" to many of us throughout our college basketball careers.

As most know, Hubert's Mother passed away when he was 16 I believe and Linda became his mother in absentia and those 2 have a very close bond and it was heartwarming to see them together. I also noticed that Chilcut was in attendance. The connection there is that they were roommates together while both where players. Chilcut come all the way from California to show support for his teammate and that was also great to see.

Also, there were a multitude of other former players there and too many to list here in this post. But I do want mention that his wife Leslie, their kids, his father and sister were congratulating him post game. I looked for Walter, but never saw him.
Also saw Roy and Wanda at the game. Noticed Roy waving at the team during the game to go go go. That made me laugh.

Now, let me pontificate about the game with Loyola.

As you may be aware, Hubert is employing a DES stratagem with starting line ups.
If you win the defensive player of the game, you start the next one. The purpose of that strategy is to motivate players to defend like their lives depended on it. Let's give this approach some time and see where it get's the team defensively.

I'm with Gary when it comes to "making the extra pass" mantra. While we expect to see more shots from the perimeter go up, we also need to see more passing to get those who are taking the shots a little extra time and a little extra space to get their shooting rhythm's in sync. For a 2nd game, we made some progress albeit incrementally, and that's ok as long as it continues as I see it. Gary is right about this aspect of our offense. Right now, the only ones that have made the long shots off the bounce are Caleb and RJ, and not at the production levels we want to see. I was hoping that Walton and Manek would show us some 3 point prowess off the dribble, but I haven't seen it yet.

As expected, some players looked more involved and in tune with the flow of the game than others during the 1st game and that's very normal, as we will continue to see the ebbs and flows of each player until a comfort level is reached for each. Remember, it takes some games to reach critical mass in regards to team chemistry and we are just 2 games in, so don't formulate definitive opinions on any players too soon, as each individual player will reach the critical mass chemistry at differing times and we will be able to see what each one brings skill wise to the team over time. This is especially true of the new and younger ones.

FT shooting was disappointing, but that usually is the case with me. Had we made 75-80% of the FT's and just half of the missed bunnies, we would have won by 30+ even with the Chinese fire drill we saw in the last 2:35 of this game.

Don't know about you, but I was very pleased with Leaky's play in this game. He played stellar defensively and passed well, and rebounded well, and by the way, he was fouled on that dunk attempt and the referees missed it. I had the angle from my seat and the defender hit Leaky's arm and hand on the play. Your arm and hand does not move naturally the way his did on that shot. Just a missed call. It would have been nice for him to have completed the play, as that's about as aggressive as I have ever seen Him play offensively.

Caleb looked very good and he played within himself and was on offensively and defensively and was my player of the game. RJ on the other hand, reverted back to shoot first- pass maybe later. Both he and Caleb need to look for opportunities to get the ball to other teammates who are open and ready to shoot. Caleb did, RJ-not so much in this game. Again, different day-different style of play for him and he, I think, will have the most problem with toning down his scorers mentality to benefit the team offense. Here again, it's early and we all should expect to see changes in play from one game to the next, so we will see Friday if RJ reverts back to a distributor of the ball.

Don't you love Brady Manek's game? As I said in my post last game, the guy is CAGEY, and his experience shows out. He wasn't on last night with his 3 point shot, but he continues to impress me with getting his points by other means, and plays really good defense so far. Great addition to this team. Garcia is still feeling his way around and I think he will find his niche soon.

The referees took Bacot out of this game. He only played what 17-18 minutes? There were 2 calls made against him that were just bad calls and what irritates the hell out of me is, referees will interject themselves into games once they realize that they are not using their whistles. Last nights game was going along very smoothly for about the first 13 minutes, when all of a sudden whistles were blowing almost on every play until halftime. Typical ACC refereeing. It was bad for both teams.

Hubert said we are primarily going to play 22 defensively, however, it looked whole lot like 21 to me and the guys I sit with, so, I agree with you 100% on this one as well.

That's about it for me, if I recall anything else that I forgot, then I will add on.

I'm ready for Friday and Brown University-how about you guys?

ETA: I would be remiss if I did not mention that Caleb played the entire game w/o a TO. The stats showed him with only 2 assists and RJ with 5 and 2 TO's. I generally keep those running stats on my score sheet and while those are the official stats, I had Caleb for 4 assists and RJ for 3. I will defer to the official stat line, but nevertheless, Caleb's game was the better of the 2 last night.

Last edited:
- I’m hoping we put to bed any “Caleb can’t run the point on this team.” He is our engine and I saw really improved decision making out of him today.

- As Gary and 75 mentioned, RJs decision making today was poor. Gary you highlighted the 3 transition plays, on the last one where he didn’t give it up you saw Leaky visibly get frustrated as he was open for a simple bounce pass and layup.

- Was very encouraged by Garcia’s second half. Needed a half to get his sea legs but we saw that massive potential in the last 20 min.

- Leaky embracing that Ginyard role is a key to this team. When you surround a guy like that with scorers like Caleb, Kerwin, Manek he’s going to find them in the right spots. I counted 3 penetrate and dish open shots he created.

- Manek is one of those guys who can just score. You blink and he has 20. He will be a guy we can look to if we are struggling to score for a few possessions.

- One more time, Caleb can be special. We will still get some frustrating moments but he looks every bit like the player he could be here and that he’s apparently been in practice.

Solid win. Solid start to Coach Hubert’s career.

I don't have a problem with RJ handling the bulk of the ballhandling because he gets the ball quickly downcourt. If Hubert prefers this, I'm not going to complain at this juncture when we are winning games.
The results on the floor show is we are better overall with Caleb at point, and that happened for the bulk of the game, especially the portions in which we did well. As mentioned last week, in transition whoever gets the outlet is gonna push the ball. Where it matters is once we get into freelance.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and dlew71
As mentioned last week, in transition whoever gets the outlet is gonna push the ball. Where it matters is once we get into freelance.
This is what I should have emphasized and this happened last night and in the exhibition game. On the other hand, there were several situations where inbound passes went to RJ to bring the ball up court and not Caleb. This was not the case last year because RJ and Caleb were not in the line-up together.

This is what I should have emphasized and this happened last night and in the exhibition game. On the other hand, there were several situations where inbound passes went to RJ to bring the ball up court and not Caleb. This was not the case last year because RJ and Caleb were not in the line-up together.
Imagine thinking the person brings the ball up the court is automatically the PG.

There are several times when you’d have your off guard bring it up because the first pass (generally to your actual PG) in the half court actually then triggers the offense.

This is Caleb Love’s show.

Imagine thinking the person brings the ball up the court is automatically the PG.

There are several times when you’d have your off guard bring it up because the first pass (generally to your actual PG) in the half court actually then triggers the offense.

This is Caleb Love’s show.
Hubert has said on many occasions that he wants two point guards on the floor at the same time. RJ and Caleb are point guards.

Walton started at the 2 last year and he never brought the ball up court.

I don't care who's show it is. I just want to win.

We defaulted to 21 again (like), but no multiplicity (no like).
Hubert say's we are primarily going to play 22 defensively, however, it looked whole lot like 21 to me and the guys I sit with, so, I agree with you 100% on this one as well.

Could either of you (or both) give us dummies a brief tutorial on 21 and 22 so we can try to see it during games?

Thanks.

RJ on the other hand, reverted back to shoot first- pass maybe later. Both he and Caleb need to look for opportunities to get the ball to other teammates who are open and ready to shoot. Caleb did, RJ-not so much in this game.
As Gary and 75 mentioned, RJs decision making today was poor.

Last year many here said they didn't think having Caleb and RJ on the floor at the same time was our best option. Is that still the general feeling? I thought they looked pretty good together in the exhibition game, less so against Loyola.

Would we be better off with Kerwin starting at the 2 and RJ coming off the bench?

Last year many here said they didn't think having Caleb and RJ on the floor at the same time was our best option. Is that still the general feeling? I thought they looked pretty good together in the exhibition game, less so against Loyola.

Would we be better off with Kerwin starting at the 2 and RJ coming off the bench?

IMO Nope.

It's way too early for a discussion like this. You have to give time and have some patience while players create the chemistry for this particular team.
If handled properly by Hubert, and reiterated by Gary in his commentary in the exhibition game, these 2 can work well together and will more than likely be a force to contend with and will be the point and counterpoint for this team. We cannot expect a mid season form after only 1 game and an exhibition.

It’s early as 75 has stated. The experience that rj is getting will pay off. Can’t get it if you don’t practice it in live situations. IMO coach has a plan with rj bringing the ball up. And if it didn’t matter who got the rock, then everyone would just bring it up. You can clearly see that coach wants rj in that role. Lol whether we call him or Caleb the pg doesn’t matter. We’ve seen it since the beginning of time, said player may not be available for fouls, injury, sickness or what have you. It’s early and guys are getting valuable time.
My son was shocked that kw didn’t start and I explained to what I thought was more important. He ended up with more minutes and impacted the game greatly with points, feeding the post, and automatically drawing his man out of the paint. I’m not a positionless player type but some people put to much stock into the x and o of the game without even knowing what the coach is trying to accomplish.
Win, that solves doubts, problems, and a lot of team chemistry.

Agree with almost everything said. Here's my two cents.

Garcia is a bit unsure of himself in the paint on both ends. seems more comfortable on the perimeter on offense.

It was good to see what Leaky brings defensively. For a stretch, our guards couldn't keep there guards in front of them and was getting taken off the dribble at will and giving up 3's. Leaky put a stop to that with his length.

Harris didn't look good.

Love the speed that RJ gets into the offense but has to learn good shot vs bad shot. Reminds me of Russell Westbrook at times last night. Not in a good way.

Would love to see Dontrez get some minutes with the regular rotation at some point. I think he will be big time.

Didn't see much from McKoy. Perhaps i was missing it.

The results on the floor show is we are better overall with Caleb at point, and that happened for the bulk of the game, especially the portions in which we did well. As mentioned last week, in transition whoever gets the outlet is gonna push the ball. Where it matters is once we get into freelance.
Agreed that last night's game was Caleb's show. In the exhibition it was RJ's. Just as we have discussed, it's going to take a few more games to really flesh the LG position out, but if last night was any indication of what we can expect, then Caleb is going to be extremely important to our success.

It might just come down to whoever has the ball coming from back court to front court, but..., if RJ cannot make some adjustments in his offensive mentality and move the ball around and look for the obvious open man, then I expect that Hubert will put an end to this experiment, and go back to Walton at the 2, and RJ off the bench in relief of Caleb.

Last edited:
IMO Nope.

It's way too early for a discussion like this. You have to give time and have some patience while players create the chemistry for this particular team.
If handled properly by Hubert, and reiterated by Gary in his commentary in the exhibition game, these 2 can work well together and will more than likely be a force to contend with and will be the point and counterpoint for this team. We cannot expect a mid season form after only 1 game and an exhibition.
This ^

Gary, total friendly curiosity... Why do you begin each of your game reviews with an untethered conjunction? I know is is deliberate based on the rest of your writing so I'm curious if there is a story or meaning behind it

P. S. This is by no means a grammar police type comment as I am not qualified or at all interested in that role. Pure curiosity.

Gary, total friendly curiosity... Why do you begin each of your game reviews with an untethered conjunction? I know is is deliberate based on the rest of your writing so I'm curious if there is a story or meaning behind it

P. S. This is by no means a grammar police type comment as I am not qualified or at all interested in that role. Pure curiosity.
Call it "literary license"... 😏

We'll see. I know what to look for now. Let's see if I can recognize it during the course of actual games.

Thanks for the help.

What I don't grasp (yet) is why 21 would be better suited to this team than 22.
That's not point WWJD.

What Gary and I are questioning is Hubert's statement that they are going to run mostly 22 defenses, although the defenses we have seen with our eyes looks more like 21 than 22. The 22 defense requires a LOT more physical effort than 21 and puts a lot more pressure on the guards and wings that have to guard their opponent for an extended period to create the match ups and force opponents to predetermined areas on the court that gives the defenses the best opportunities to deny scores.

That's why Armando said that the Big's really like the defense that they have employed thus far as it (re:22) Vss. (21) relieves the Big's of certain defensive responsibilities, thus, not as taxing physically. Both Coach Gut and Coach Williams tweaked some defenses to the style of the play that they wanted, so it's not a critical issue at all. It's just that to our trained eyes, that what Hubert calls 22 defense, is more of a hybrid of 21 & 22. If Hubert wants to call it 22 then that is what it is...., to him, the staff, and the team. It's his show. However, to us old heads, it's more 21 than 22.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT