ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if I glean information from a relative who is a D1 (or whatever the heck the NC2a calls it these days) coach, I can't share it here?

Read what I wrote. Nobody in this business allows links to competitors posted on their sites. A coach at another schools is in no way a competitor.

Geez. Chill. I would never share info from him anyway but this latest generation seems to believe that information is worth paying for.

Information has always been worth paying for. When was the last time information was free? Even "free" radio is supported by advertisers who pay money to attract business. They don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts, and directly or indirectly those costs are passed on to consumers. If it truly was free there'd be no information. Nobody works for free, as I am sure you don't in whatever it is you do for a living. And if you're getting something you perceive as free from a source that has nothing to gain or lose, I'd seriously reconsider because it's very likely the source isn't a professional thus their information likely isn't all that accurate.

Information has always been worth paying for. When was the last time information was free? Even "free" radio is supported by advertisers who pay money to attract business. They don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts, and directly or indirectly those costs are passed on to consumers. If it truly was free there'd be no information. Nobody works for free, as I am sure you don't in whatever it is you do for a living. And if you're getting something you perceive as free from a source that has nothing to gain or lose, I'd seriously reconsider because it's very likely the source isn't a professional thus their information likely isn't all that accurate.

No offense, but this is an extremely outdated perspective.

Information may be worth paying for, but due to the nature of the internet, it's impossible to actually control.

For instance, there's nothing you could do to stop me from signing up for your (or anyone else's) insider UNC basketball forum, then sharing every bit of information you put out on my own reddit sub for free. Someone could do this relatively trivially and it would completely annihilate your business model.

Piracy always wins. Your site exists at the consent of the users, and them only.

Stop thinking of yourself as someone who sells information, and instead think of yourself as someone who provides customer service for people who like to congregate on a site where information is shared.

tl;dr Don't piss off your users. You'll lose your comparative advantage.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
No offense, but this is an extremely outdated perspective.

Information may be worth paying for, but due to the nature of the internet, it's impossible to actually control.

For instance, there's nothing you could do to stop me from signing up for your (or anyone else's) insider UNC basketball forum, then sharing every bit of information you put out on my own reddit sub for free. Someone could do this relatively trivially and it would completely annihilate your business model.

Piracy always wins. Your site exists at the consent of the users, and them only.

Stop thinking of yourself as someone who sells information, and instead think of yourself as someone who provides customer service for people who like to congregate on a site where information is shared.

tl;dr Don't piss off your users. You'll lose your comparative advantage.

Outdated? People are paying for niche everything more now than ever before. As for someone stealing information and annihilating our business model, if that's the case why are more sites going to our model instead of succumbing to piracy? Just about everything has a pay wall now, it's not going in the other direction. I'm not going to get into the other stuff, it's not worth my time. That said, it's a shame some people don't respect those that provide this service, which isn't free, just like you don't do what it is you do for a living for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT