ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitng class of 2016

We are getting some of them and have 4 star commitments already for 2017. Hood, I think, was actually 5-star, at least in some ratings. And we have some other quality 4-star guys on the roster. Jalen Dalton was a high 4-star, and Strowbridge was 4-star. We have more 4-star talent than some seem to think, but I hear ya, we aren't getting as high as rating overall as Clemson, FL State and Alabama. But at the same time, it seems a lot of guys that are 3-star turned out to be just as good, including some not even 3 stars and came on as walk-ons.

Nah Jones was our best D-lineman last year, and he was 3 star.
Yeah a lot of our 3* and walk ons looked pretty good during the season but in the Clemson(ACC tile game) and the bowl game we were exposed on defense.

You mean the one that included San Jose State , Idaho and Jacksonville State?
Yes. Compared to ours that includes James Madison and The Citadel and doesn't include Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and even Clemson.

And yes I remember the Cam thing. Has Auburn been dirty in the past? Absolutely. So has Carolina. Doesn't mean either is right now. Demayune Craig is a HELL of a recruiter.

Yeah a lot of our 3* and walk ons looked pretty good during the season but in the Clemson(ACC tile game) and the bowl game we were exposed on defense.

We were exposed on the D-line. Our pass offense was one of the best in the nation. So it wasn't our whole defense. We also' had three 4* young D-linemen in Dalton, who was moved to DT and was a freshman and Strowbridge who redshirted, Crawford at DT and in the scout top 300 players, but unfortunately also had multiple injuries. So we didn't have the depth and some talent was too young but we're getting there.

And our run defense was a little weak all season.

Next year, we'll see who plays but we'll have Naz Jones, Crawford who should be more seasoned and was a top recruit, Dalton (top recruit), Strowbridge, Drennon (another 4 star recruit), senior Mikey Bart, Malik Carney (perhaps should be back at LB), Powell, Dinkins and perhaps Kyree Campbell may play as a freshman. We have talent on the D-line and with more experience, hopefully they can get it together. But that's four or five 4* guys and the best lineman was 3-stars.

We ought to be pretty good next year in the trenches.

Last edited:
Yes. Compared to ours that includes James Madison and The Citadel and doesn't include Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and even Clemson.

And yes I remember the Cam thing. Has Auburn been dirty in the past? Absolutely. So has Carolina. Doesn't mean either is right now. Demayune Craig is a HELL of a recruiter.
I don't think UNC has ever been dirty. Was Butch not paying attention to what was going on under his nose with Blake? Yes. Were the AFAM classes easy? Yes Was it an athletic thing? NO. the general student population were flocking to these classes. In fact it was the liberal bias that prevented the proper supervision of this department. have we ever bought players? I wonder how SEC and other CFB powers would fare if they were subjected to the scrutiny we have been through with their classes? All I know is word came out from a couple of sources that MaMa Myers was not impressed with Auburn and there were worries about the coach and the QB situation and then all of a sudden in a couple of days it is alright? Just my opinion but I think our QB situation is much better and he would have exceled... .

We were exposed on the D-line. Our pass offense was one of the best in the nation. So it wasn't our whole defense. We also' had three 4* young D-linemen in Dalton, who was moved to DT and was a freshman and Strowbridge who redshirted, Crawford at DT and in the scout top 300 players, but unfortunately also had multiple injuries. So we didn't have the depth and some talent was too young but we're getting there.

And our run defense was a little weak all season.

Next year, we'll see who plays but we'll have Naz Jones, Crawford who should be more seasoned and was a top recruit, Dalton (top recruit), Strowbridge, Drennon (another 4 star recruit), senior Mikey Bart, Malik Carney (perhaps should be back at LB), Powell, Dinkins and perhaps Kyree Campbell may play as a freshman. We have talent on the D-line and with more experience, hopefully they can get it together. But that's four or five 4* guys and the best lineman was 3-stars.

We ought to be pretty good next year in the trenches.
We will need improved LB and safety play next year because when RB's broke through the line last year it was a horse race to the goal line and we lost it too many times.

Or.............or...........and hear me out here, he wants to play for the best conference in the country and against the best competition in the country, hands-down. Crazy I know.
yeah, i know, the notion that auburn threw some money into the mix is completely unthinkable... they don't do that sort of thing down there, right? LOL

You mean the one that included San Jose State , Idaho and Jacksonville State? You do remember the Cam Newton saga right? It's a whole different culture in the SEC when it comes to ways of winning this isn't news to anybody.

Lol "cam newton saga". u do know that involved cecil newton and miss st? U do know that in investigating cecil's tax returns, bank accts, and cell phone records that proof was obtained he solicited money from miss st but no evidence whatsoever was ever found that he solicited any from auburn? So next time u refer to a school's "history" in accusing them of paying off recruits how about u use a school that actually has a proven history of paying off recruits

yeah, i know, the notion that auburn threw some money into the mix is completely unthinkable... they don't do that sort of thing down there, right? LOL

Hey so long as you're fine with applying that same logic to unc ten yrs after their ncaa investigation is over. "Hey they were accused so it must be true no matter what the investigation reveals"
Lol. Nice logic.

Hey so long as you're fine with applying that same logic to unc ten yrs after their ncaa investigation is over. "Hey they were accused so it must be true no matter what the investigation reveals"
Lol. Nice logic.
You do know that there is an Auburn board right? tigermanwilm is probably available too.

will u be making idiotic paranoid deluded accusations there as well?
I am a Tar Heel fan I don't go to other team's boards ; therefore I won't be making any posts there you and your Auburn buddies will just have to battle the Bama (of which I am a sympathizer) fans alone. By the way how long was the Auburn investigation 24 hours? If it had happened at UNC they would still be investigating it.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Oh so a bama fan. Well that explains it now doesnt it. Lmfao!!!!!! Dude if u bother to actually READ u would know i have lots of fam connections to auburn as well as alabama. I also have fam connections to clemson and scar on my wifes side and unc and wake on my mom's. Doesnt make me a fan but it does make me educated on their rivalries and tiffs. As well as makes for some interesting holiday gatherings. I've heard this one cussed and discussed for a decade and i've formed my own opinion. So i'm Sorry to interrupt your deluded rant with actual facts. Actually I always have and always will be an alabama fan after unc. But like i said, if u dont mind rival fans picking our ncaa scab and making unproven accusations for years to come then by all means have at it and do the same to auburn. Just dont admit your unc fanhood though
Please.

Last edited:
^^^ what's more far fetched? Aubby being accused of paying high end recruits in some fashion or Aubby not paying high end recruits in some fashion? Seriously. And Auburn is the sec team I casually root for.

^^^ what's more far fetched? Aubby paying high end recruits in some fashion or Aubby not paying high end recruits in some fashion? Seriously. And Auburn is the sec team I casually root for.
Since it's no longer the 1980s, I'd say the latter (note I eliminated "being accused of" from your post. Any school can be accused....doesn't mean they did it.

Its all good thn. I'm just sensitive to people making unfair accusations against someone given the crap i have to endure about our ncaa probs.

^^^ what's more far fetched? Aubby being accused of paying high end recruits in some fashion or Aubby not paying high end recruits in some fashion? Seriously. And Auburn is the sec team I casually root for.

Dont u understand though that similar statements, which we know are false,
Could be said about unc? Our own probs has opened my eyes when it comes to judging other schools. Esp those i'm connected to.

Reactions: UNC '92
The recent article on the SEC bag men kind of helps make sense of how such things go down. The coach, AD, staff and even the most prominent boosters don't have to be involved at all and probably are not. Perhaps they know it's going on and perhaps not.

But apparently it's still part of the culture. So would not be surprised. Of course, could be happening at Carolina some as well even if the coach and school want to be squeaky clean and not even associate with anything like that. It can still happen, folks, especially with the highest rated recruits and it probably does for schools that net a good number of 5 star and very high 4 star recruits.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Oh so a bama fan. Well that explains it now doesnt it. Lmfao!!!!!! Dude if u bother to actually READ u would know i have lots of fam connections to auburn as well as alabama. I also have fam connections to clemson and scar on my wifes side and unc and wake on my mom's. Doesnt make me a fan but it does make me educated on their rivalries and tiffs. As well as makes for some interesting holiday gatherings. I've heard this one cussed and discussed for a decade and i've formed my own opinion. So i'm Sorry to interrupt your deluded rant with actual facts. Actually I always have and always will be an alabama fan after unc. But like i said, if u dont mind rival fans picking our ncaa scab and making unproven accusations for years to come then by all means have at it and do the same to auburn. Just dont admit your unc fanhood though
Please.
I like Bama but you won't see me defending them over UNC in the manner you have Auburn over UNC i.e. actually referring to UNC as dirty. The day an SEC team investigates themselves to the extent that UNC dug and dug at that scab therefore dragging things on and on to the detriment of UNC's athletics , will be the day before all college sports are outlawed. I enjoy SEC football but if any team other than Vandy had been in our shoes they would have circled the wagons and lawyered up with a dream team. I have my opinions and you have yours as you eloquently said in your post having abandoned trying to represent them as fact solely on the basis of family ties.Rival fans don't bother me at all and I'll admit I'm a UNC fan all day. WTF will I hear that I don't hear from the dookies and mooers?

Could not be any happier with what this staff was able to accomplish..

Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The recent article on the SEC bag men kind of helps make sense of how such things go down. The coach, AD, staff and even the most prominent boosters don't have to be involved at all and probably are not. Perhaps they know it's going on and perhaps not.

But apparently it's still part of the culture. So would not be surprised. Of course, could be happening at Carolina some as well even if the coach and school want to be squeaky clean and not even associate with anything like that. It can still happen, folks, especially with the highest rated recruits and it probably does for schools that net a good number of 5 star and very high 4 star recruits.
If it is going on at UNC , then we are doing a shitty job of it cause we miss on the High 4* and the 5*'s in our own backyard.

If it is going on at UNC , then we are doing a shitty job of it cause we miss on the High 4* and the 5*'s in our own backyard.

I don't think it's going on like it does in the SEC reportedly but there might be some instances, just not as systematic.

But back to our class ... Hard to not be excited about the recruits we got. Realistically, signing day was a success.

But back to our class ... Hard to not be excited about the recruits we got. Realistically, signing day was a success.
Absolutely. We fulfilled all our needs (could've fulfilled DL even more than we did). My quick-hitter breakdown:

QB -- A One of Surratt or Byrd will be a stud for us. Both could end up that way.
RB -- B+ Didn't need multiple backs in this class. J. Brown will be excellent for us.
WR -- B- Would've liked to held on to Banks, but WR wasn't a pressing need in '16. It is in '17
TE -- B+ This moves to an 'A' if Walston is as good as advertised. TE's are hard to predict though.
OT -- B ?? Really hard for me to evaluate OL. No clue how good Elder and McCargo will be. Can only go by their 3* ranking. I know the staff likes them though so I'll trust them. My only worry is did we get enough tackles?
OG -- B See OT. Only one guard is slightly worrying but overall our OL is strong.
DE -- B This raises to a 'B+' depending on how well Cater develops for us. DeFranco is a project from all reports. Keeping T. Fox was huge and I think he'll be very good for us.
DT -- C+ Sure would've loved to have gotten Lawrence (or in years past, Settle, or Tuttle, etc etc). Hopefully Dunlap is as underrated as people claim and that Campbell lives up to his 4* billing.
LB -- B+ I actually really like this LB class a lot. Copeland is an intriguing add and a "want-to" type player that will benefit the locker room. J. Smith should be good for us. Hopper could sneakily make noise for us, and D. Ross is underrated from all accounts.
DB -- A Six words: Coach Warren, unleash the Rude Boyz

A random thought I'd like to add -- Our '16 struggles in-state have been well-documented. Despite that fact, I really, really like the geographical footprint of this class. A truly Southern class chock full of guys from SEC states and a handful from B1G territory. The breakdown by state:

North Carolina (6)
Georgia (5)
Virginia (3)
Florida (3)
Alabama (2)
Maryland (2)
Texas (1)
Tennessee (1)
South Carolina (1)
Illinois (1)

^ I agree, DL was a tiny bit disappointing because Dunlap, Cater, DeFranco are on the lower side of most "guru"'s rankings. Tenn liked Dunlap though, and clearly Arkansas liked Cater.

I'm okay with the WR haul since Groves fills the a-back position of need. Mollette, Anthony RW and the transfer could all be really good guys for 2017 - don't know.

For LB, i would've liked one more can't miss 4* type guy that has fewer question marks than a Hopper type guy. Seems like Corner, LB and DL were most needy positions.

I'm okay with the WR haul since Groves fills the a-back position of need. Mollette, Anthony RW and the transfer could all be really good guys for 2017 - don't know.
I KEEP forgetting about the Vandy WR transfer. I don't know why that keeps slipping my mind. That changes my ranking a bit for sure. He was a heralded prospect coming out of high school. And you're right, ARW could emerge as a stud receiver. I have no idea how guys like Mollette and Cabrera will pan out, but hopefully they turn into productive guys for us.

For LB, i would've liked one more can't miss 4* type guy that has fewer question marks than a Hopper type guy. Seems like Corner, LB and DL were most needy positions.
Certainly could've done better at LB but a few breaks didn't go our way. It's definitely not a sure thing but I think Hopper will turn out good for us. Smith should be a player for sure. Would love to get Justin Foster in the 2017 class but that could be a pipe dream due to his county of residence.

Dont u understand though that similar statements, which we know are false,
Could be said about unc? Our own probs has opened my eyes when it comes to judging other schools. Esp those i'm connected to.

Every school cheats to some degree, whether it's boosters with their bogus summer jobs for players, or the $500 handshakes, or gifts and accessories for family members, distributed through 3rd parties such as churches, or grade changing ways to keep an athelete or atheletes eligible...It happens everywhere IMO to some degree!

I have family members in Alabama too, and they are big Bama fans who go to practically every home game...The Crimson Tide as most know have been penalized in the past by the NCAA probably as much, or more so than any other college football team, and my family down there could care less as long as the "Tide" is winning national titles? I've worked with a big booster for Auburn when I lived in Atlanta, and seen first hand what happens during the summer, so I don't need anybody to tell me that shady practices doesn't happen because I've seen it with my own eyes...

Does these sort of things happen at Carolina?

I don't know if they do or not, but I'm not naive enough to believe that it doesn't happen here or anywhere else....

When there's a chance to lure big time talent by either skirting or outright ignoring the NCAA rules, a lot of teams that have boosters with deep pockets, can find a way...

BTW, Auburn was eventually put on probation for NCAA violations when I lived in the ATL, and NO I was never asked by the NCAA what I saw, and never would have revealed what I knew at that time, since I liked my job...And this was many many years before Gene Chizik took over the Tigers' football program....

Boosters are much more discreet about those sort of things nowadays, and new technology has opened new avenues,and made it possible for those Boosters who want to help their school gain an advantage in trying to lure some of the best High School talent in the Country to the schools they support.....The SEC as we know also has two of the biggest cheerleaders and mouthpieces for their conference in ESPN and CBS, so there's also that to consider when trying to figure out why SEC teams seem to lure more talent on signing-day than any other conference....If you watched any of the ESPN coverage of National Signing Day yesterday, you seen how slanted the broadcast was toward the SEC with several of their reporters located at SEC schools to cover who they signed....

It's true that there's nothing to be gained by accusing other schools of improprieties that can't be proved(ex. Mississippi), and it's also true that NO school that has been under NCAA scrutiny in the past has been more forthcoming and transparent than UNC was when being investigated by the NCAA, which most feel including me, was to the detriment of the perception of UNC in the eyes of the whole country, especially with the media controlling and distributing a false narrative about the NCAA investigation of UNC...

I'm just glad the NCAA mess is over, and hope that UNC never goes down that road ever again!

Back to the topic!

^ I agree, DL was a tiny bit disappointing because Dunlap, Cater, DeFranco are on the lower side of most "guru"'s rankings. Tenn liked Dunlap though, and clearly Arkansas liked Cater.

I think Roscoe Johnson could be a sleeper and he has been timed at 4.34. Groves is explosive and has great straight away speed or so the gurus say on both. Also Devin Perry from the 2015 class is a burner.

Last edited:
Dunlap could be excellent once they get him in the weight room , they say he has a huge frame. Tennessee wasn't interested in him for his personality (not that there is anything wrong with his personality). He was 2x and 3x teamed in HS.

Dunlap could be excellent once they get him in the weight room , they say he has a huge frame. Tennessee wasn't interested in him for his personality (not that there is anything wrong with his personality). He was 2x and 3x teamed in HS.

Another thing on Dunlap...Kid played at the worst program in the Queen City...Dude was a beats as a JR when he had other guys around him..This year he was like you said 58 had 2 or 3 guys on him..He showed out at the Shrine Bowl...My hope is he can RedShrit and be like Clarke was this year.maybe better...

So next time u refer to a school's "history" in accusing them of paying off recruits how about u use a school that actually has a proven history of paying off recruits
Auburn has a well-documented history of paying players and recruits (link). Even after they were put on probation for it, the practice continued (link).

Some of y'all need to learn to see things through clear eyes and not through Carolina blue-tinted glasses.
The suggestions that Auburn games the system isn't just sour grapes because of a recruit we missed out on. Auburn deserves whatever criticism they receive. They've committed more major infractions and been put on probation more than all but a handful of other schools. There's plenty to read about their sordid history at this link, but here's a good synopsis:

"Auburn University's Tigers Unlimited Foundation, a group with a tax status that allows its donors to remain anonymous...is set up to benefit Auburn's athletic programs.

[A] wealthy, prominent Auburn booster has used a lobbying firm to channel largely untraceable sums of money through as many as a dozen different PACs to illegally influence legislation by bribing politicians.

That same lobbying firm also is in possession of as much as a million dollars from [the Tigers Unlimited Foundation] whose express goal is to advance the cause of Auburn athletics. We can assume that the same (or different) PACs might be utilized to channel cash to that foundation's intended recipients, be they Auburn football players or, say...Jordan-Hare stadium peanut vendors. And they have already shown us that applicable laws and regulations concern them not one bit."

@raisingheel i was referring to auburn bribing recruits with cash to commit there as was alleged in the thread. Sorry but it reeks of sour grapes and is damn right irresponsible to blame a commit choosing auburn over unc on them paying him to do so when there is zero evidence to support it.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT