ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitng class of 2016

I am more excited about campbell than any other recruit. I feel it signals a beginning to the end to our recruiting woes re af am and a beginning of rebuilding a solid defense. Good job.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Saw where Big Dex is cutting his list soon....If we could land him and Joyner man oh man....Is the staff taking a full class or 19 or 20 guys again...Truth is give me another RB and OL and then go after DL the rest of the way and I would be a happy man...

Saw where Big Dex is cutting his list soon....If we could land him and Joyner man oh man....Is the staff taking a full class or 19 or 20 guys again...Truth is give me another RB and OL and then go after DL the rest of the way and I would be a happy man...
I wonder if Campbell is able to help persuade Lawrence and/or Joyner and/or others. We could have a super freshman class, especially on D, if he can.

Reactions: grillheel
I wonder if Campbell is able to help persuade Lawrence and/or Joyner and/or others. We could have a super freshman class, especially on D, if he can.
Campbell being from Virginia probably not. Surratt maybe an influence.. My hope is Lawrence and Joyner will recruit each other to UNC but I have never heard who either is close to. Our in state recruits are few this year.

Campbell being from Virginia probably not. Surratt maybe an influence.. My hope is Lawrence and Joyner will recruit each other to UNC but I have never heard who either is close to. Our in state recruits are few this year.
Most of the chatter for each is SEC. Lawrence is said to be a long time Florida fan, and Bama nay be his 2nd favorite. We may be #4 behind Clemson. Most of the talk about Joyner is that he is headed to LSU, but FSU and UNC have a chance.

Most of the chatter for each is SEC. Lawrence is said to be a long time Florida fan, and Bama nay be his 2nd favorite. We may be #4 behind Clemson. Most of the talk about Joyner is that he is headed to LSU, but FSU and UNC have a chance.
IMO, Florida and Clemson are NOT in play for Lawrence. The Wolfpups very much are.....

What would a 9 - 3 season with a trip to a nice bowl game do for UNC recruiting?
It would be better than a stick in the eye! ;) But seriously, a 9-3 season with a nice bowl game (read: against a good opponent) would certainly help our recruiting a bit, but....for it to help in this current 2016 class, I think it will depend on who the 9 wins would be against. If we go 9-3 but the 3 losses are VT, NC State, and Miami (i.e. two schools we recruit heavily against and then the latter being a school who still carries clout as a brand name), then that won't help recruiting much.

If we go 9-3 and win 2 of 3 against the trio I mentioned....recruits would look more favorably at that, IMO.

It would be better than a stick in the eye! ;) But seriously, a 9-3 season with a nice bowl game (read: against a good opponent) would certainly help our recruiting a bit, but....for it to help in this current 2016 class, I think it will depend on who the 9 wins would be against. If we go 9-3 but the 3 losses are VT, NC State, and Miami (i.e. two schools we recruit heavily against and then the latter being a school who still carries clout as a brand name), then that won't help recruiting much.

If we go 9-3 and win 2 of 3 against the trio I mentioned....recruits would look more favorably at that, IMO.
I agree with all of that. I also think HOW we get the wins is important. For example, winning 45-42 shootouts is probably going to be a turn-off for defensive recruits. That's the side of the ball where we need the most help.

Asheville High senior Pete Leota is the only Western North Carolina player on the all-classifications NCPreps.com preseason all-state football team.

The 6-foot-5, 306-pound lineman has scholarship offers from Appalachian State, Boston College, East Carolina, Georgia Southern, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.

I'd love for this kid to be at UNC...his interview about the pancake block in the state playoffs was great.

Asheville High senior Pete Leota is the only Western North Carolina player on the all-classifications NCPreps.com preseason all-state football team.

The 6-foot-5, 306-pound lineman has scholarship offers from Appalachian State, Boston College, East Carolina, Georgia Southern, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.

I'd love for this kid to be at UNC...his interview about the pancake block in the state playoffs was great.
He is the last piece that we are looking for on the OL.

The hard truth is this is exactly why we don't spend more time recruiting WNC.

That being said though, I do hope we get Leota, as well as 3-4 more guys off that list (DL, JS, JB, KJ, and even MD)
We MUST close strong on in-state recruiting!! It is starting to be a concern even with the insiders.

We MUST close strong on in-state recruiting!! It is starting to be a concern even with the insiders.
I respectfully disagree. While it's disappointing, it's an anomaly. We can build a perfectly good class outside our borders, and unless we start whiffing on in-state kids a few years in a row I'm not going to be too concerned.

It's worth remembering that local recruits are the ones who have spent their high school years hearing about UNC's investigations on a regular basis. Outsiders, not so much. I think getting resolution next year will clear a path for a resurgence of in-state recruiting.

I respectfully disagree. While it's disappointing, it's an anomaly. We can build a perfectly good class outside our borders, and unless we start whiffing on in-state kids a few years in a row I'm not going to be too concerned.

It's worth remembering that local recruits are the ones who have spent their high school years hearing about UNC's investigations on a regular basis. Outsiders, not so much. I think getting resolution next year will clear a path for a resurgence of in-state recruiting.

We indeed can build a perfectly good class from outside NC. We are UNC, not MooU.

We indeed can build a perfectly good class from outside NC. We are UNC, not MooU.
perfectly good.. no , good as in the 31st ranked in the nation yeah. We will never win our division getting the 25th ranked players in FL or GA and striking out in NC. we have never had any consistency without recruiting well in state. If you think differently you are delusional.

perfectly good.. no , good as in the 31st ranked in the nation yeah. We will never win our division getting the 25th ranked players in FL or GA and striking out in NC. we have never had any consistency without recruiting well in state. If you think differently you are delusional.

I agree....We've got to be able to cherry pick the best talent in the state....Tough to do the last few years with all the NCAA garbage, so production on the field this year will be paramount for future recruiting in the state...

Jonathan Smith has set a commit date and it is supposedly down to us and dook. This is a big one and we really need this commit. At one time we were the head and shoulders leader but that old geezer in derm has been making up ground.

Jonathan Smith has set a commit date and it is supposedly down to us and dook. This is a big one and we really need this commit. At one time we were the head and shoulders leader but that old geezer in derm has been making up ground.
He's on UNC's campus for his last visit right now and that could be big for you guys. Word is is that he's got Duke on top right now, but UNC could sway him back.

Right now...other programs are cherry picking North Carolina....The Heels need to wall in the best recruits in the home state.

Alabama has picked up BJ Emmons (Rivals #4 RB), FSU has picked up Josh Brown (4 star DE), the Vols picked up Marquill Osborne (#5 DE), Clemson has Sean Pollard (4 star O lineman) and Cornell Powell (4 star WR)

South Carolina, VT. have picked up kids along with Penn State, WVU and others.

Got to get the kids thinking of playing in blue.

Right now...other programs are cherry picking North Carolina....The Heels need to wall in the best recruits in the home state.

Alabama has picked up BJ Emmons (Rivals #4 RB), FSU has picked up Josh Brown (4 star DE), the Vols picked up Marquill Osborne (#5 DE), Clemson has Sean Pollard (4 star O lineman) and Cornell Powell (4 star WR)

Yes, it would be nice to get more of the top NC recruits. But if we make up for what we lose with kids from oither states, we don't lose.

Pollard is an example. Absolutely, I would love for him to be a Tar Heel commit. But secured a 4* OG commit out of state in McCargo. And our other OG commit is a fine 3* in Pritchett. Would I prefer Pollard over Pritchett? Sure - But I also will not be surprised if Pritchett has a very commendable career at UNC. He can be a good one.

Yes, it would be nice to get more of the top NC recruits. But if we make up for what we lose with kids from oither states, we don't lose.

Pollard is an example. Absolutely, I would love for him to be a Tar Heel commit. But secured a 4* OG commit out of state in McCargo. And our other OG commit is a fine 3* in Pritchett. Would I prefer Pollard over Pritchett? Sure - But I also will not be surprised if Pritchett has a very commendable career at UNC. He can be a good one.
But there are so many more than this that we missed on! Didn't even get a sniff from Landon Dickerson.

Jimmie Taylor has committed to VT. It's one thing to lose them to the SEC but to keep losing to VT. !st Divine Deablo and now Jimmie Taylor SMFH.

Last edited:

disagree.
too many of the kids instate that we lose out on will make our rivals better.

"i'm a heck of a recruiter"
larry fedora

Saw where Jimmie Taylor picked the hokies. That sucks was hoping we would get him. Hate we missed on that in state player.

A lot of the complaints here are misguided IMO. The goal is not to blindly target recruits based on rankings or the fact they live inside state lines. The goal is to fill specific needs with recruits who fit the staff's desired criteria for talent, character, and academics (which is now more difficult than it has ever been). The staff actually stopped recruiting some of the so-called misses mentioned here. Not trying to be "that guy" but there's info on the premium board that helps make sense the staff's recruiting rationale. That's not to say they haven't missed out on a few recruits, just that things aren't as dire as some people seem to believe.

I think in-state recruiting is overemphasized. In recent history, UNC has been unable to prevent poachers from the SEC. It's simply a more revered conference and high-profile recruits want to play for those teams. Same with FSU and Clemson right now. A perennial .500 club (currently facing NCAA unknowns) is never going to lock down the state.

The one time in recent memory that the Heels dominated in-state recruiting was 2009 when they snagged 7 of the top 9 players in the state. And how did that work out? I'd say five-star Donte Paige-Moss was a impact player. Jared McAdoo was dismissed from the team. Jay Boyd, Justin Dixon, Josh Hunter, and Terry Shankle contributed but never excelled...all but Boyd were recruited over IIRC. Hawatha Bell couldn't qualify and never even made it to campus. So only 1 of those 9 guys really amounted to much at UNC.

Last edited:
The Tidewater area of Virginia is loaded with atheletes, and we seem to be making inroads more so here recently than in the past....Same can be said for the Suburbs of Atlanta where several talented youngsters have joined the Baby Blue....Florida has been good to the Tar Heels as well on the recruiting trail....

But like others, we've got to be able to pull at least some of the most talented kids in our state....Last year, we did with Jalen Dalton and Mike Hughes...Two kids that will make an early impact this year....

But like others, we've got to be able to pull at least some of the most talented kids in our state....Last year, we did with Jalen Dalton and Mike Hughes...Two kids that will make an early impact this year....
I think that's fair. And Dalton and Hughes were two HUGE areas of need so you have to be pleased with that. Likewise, nobody complained (or should have complained) that UNC didn't get any of the 3 highly-regarded RBs from NC last year because it wasn't a position of need. The big miss of course was Shy Tuttle, and arguably Darian Roseboro (although he reportedly never had much interest in UNC).

yea
A lot of the complaints here are misguided IMO. The goal is not to blindly target recruits based on rankings or the fact they live inside state lines. The goal is to fill specific needs with recruits who fit the staff's desired criteria for talent, character, and academics (which is now more difficult than it has ever been). The staff actually stopped recruiting some of the so-called misses mentioned here. Not trying to be "that guy" but there's info on the premium board that helps make sense the staff's recruiting rationale. That's not to say they haven't missed out on a few recruits, just that things aren't as dire as some people seem to believe.

I think in-state recruiting is overemphasized. In recent history, UNC has been unable to prevent poachers from the SEC. It's simply a more revered conference and high-profile recruits want to play for those teams. Same with FSU and Clemson right now. A perennial .500 club (currently facing NCAA unknowns) is never going to lock down the state.

The one time in recent memory that the Heels dominated in-state recruiting was 2009 when they snagged 7 of the top 9 players in the state. And how did that work out? I'd say five-star Donte Paige-Moss was a impact player. Jared McAdoo was dismissed from the team. Jay Boyd, Justin Dixon, Josh Hunter, and Terry Shankle contributed but never excelled...all but Boyd were recruited over IIRC. Hawatha Bell couldn't qualify and never even made it to campus. So only 1 of those 9 guys really amounted to much at UNC.
yeah in recent history we have not been very good either. Cherry picking 2009 doesn't do much to convince me. Our greatest years were under Mack and I know we have a ways to go to get back there , but it needs to be our goal.

I hope we get Lawrence but Joyner is abit overrated. Saw him get ran over by Harisbon at Crest and blocked single handedly. He an athletic but either he's just not strong or didn't care. No wonder he's not the #1 recruit in the nation anymore. Not even #1 in North Carolina. Joyner is not what you think he is but Lawrence is a BREAST!! UNC gets him, they'll be on their way. Definitely need to recruit Charlotte better esp. Mallard Creek. They got stars all over that team

I hope we get Lawrence but Joyner is abit overrated. Saw him get ran over by Harisbon at Crest and blocked single handedly. He an athletic but either he's just not strong or didn't care. No wonder he's not the #1 recruit in the nation anymore. Not even #1 in North Carolina. Joyner is not what you think he is but Lawrence is a BREAST!! UNC gets him, they'll be on their way. Definitely need to recruit Charlotte better esp. Mallard Creek. They got stars all over that team
Harbison a pretty good RB , I'll take our chances with Joyner and think the staff will to..

Champ is on it about Joyner. He was blocked single handily in the State Title game. When he stepped in to make the tackle Harbison plowed him over and over. Not hating on the kid. He has the size and the tools to be great, but something is missing. The best linebacker in the State is Justin Foster. He's in the class of 2017, and he is truly a BEAST.

Joyner was a little light at the time (at a listed 200 pounds) to stop a 208 pound back straight on. He is now up to 220 as a senior and he is a major target for some well known football schools.

He has not visited an out of state school yet..but LSU, Auburn, and FSU are all trying to get him on campus and have him listed as a target.

Joyner named UNC, LSU, and FSU in his top picks and one recruiting pundit had the Heels leading.

Jonathan Smith decision on Friday between us and the geezer in derm.
Don't get your hopes up. Not saying it won't happen, but just expect a Dook commit and be pleasantly surprised if he chooses the right shade of blue. No insider info here, we just cannot recruit Scotland Co., of late.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT