ADVERTISEMENT

Recruitng class of 2016

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
How about we have 1 thread on this class, with posts relevant placed here?

Jaquan Yulee committed to Bama.

Sounds good. We were in the lead for big time LB Yulee back a few months ago but apparently he was seduced by Saban. Things have been kinda slow and I'm sure the NOA ain't gonna help.

Yulee shut down communications several months ago. Rumor is that even the Bama coaches were surprised by his commitment. He said before committing that he's still open to other schools, so we'll see how this one plays out. You know coaches, including ours, won't stop courting him.

UNC has their camps going on right now. Lots of new offers, and we'll probably (hopefully) see a few UNC commitments in the next few weeks.

^ what RH said. A lot is happening right now in terms of camps. And yeah, Yulee's commitment isn't exactly ironclad.

I'm hopeful some Carolina commits will happen within the next 2-3 weeks.

Recruiting has been changing. The days of kids being a mystery with hats on the table on National Signing Day are waning.

Some programs are getting key commits early and then letting these kids recruit other good kids while they are in the camps, 7 on 7's, etc. The commits can email, call, text, or talk up their school in person without the limitations that program staff have.

That is a Jimbo Fisher tactic that seems to be working. I just saw where Jimbo offered a 14 year old (300 pound DT) who would be a class of 2019 entrant....and he has about as many 2017 commits as Oklahoma,Texas, and UNC have 2016.

I am sure that there is some downside to early commits...some say that you will lose some of them. Maybe...but it also may be that getting them invested in their team (recruiting) may slow decommits.

At any rate, it is about getting competitive athletes and coaching them up.

And the state of North Carolina has some good kids in the 2016 class...BJ Emmons, Dexter Lawrence, etc.....just need to haul them in.

2 LB commits today Tyrone Hopper and Dominique Ross both had impressive offer lists for 3*'s.

both these guys should be 4 stars. offer lists (assuming they're real offers) are the best indicator imho because coach's jobs depend on accurate scouting of recruits. two nice pickups for the tar heels!

Reactions: nolegeorge
Seems like the new D staff is getting the job done on the recruiting trail. Pair that with a good upcoming season in the win category and we can open the flood gates. If you look at the commitments we have they are quite impressive. Great offer lists and the size of these kids is impressive. Long and athletic.

Keep up the great work coaches.

Go Heels!!!!

2 LB commits today Tyrone Hopper and Dominique Ross both had impressive offer lists for 3*'s.

Such players are the keys to buildinhg a program that reloads. Until you become known as a major program that expects to win, you must sign and develop the best 3* talent.

Reactions: grillheel
The new D staff is really doing the job. We have another high 3* commit: DE Nolan DeFranco.

He is 6-6, and so has plenty of room to gain weight.

Tghe bad days of crappy D are coming to an end. Once again, we are going to see the kind of D we expect from Tar Heels. Then we need to get back to 100 rushing RBs.

And what was the team the last time we won the ACC? 1st rate D, 1000 yard RBs, and 1st rate OL.

The new D staff is really doing the job. We have another high 3* commit: DE Nolan DeFranco.

He is 6-6, and so has plenty of room to gain weight.

Tghe bad days of crappy D are coming to an end. Once again, we are going to see the kind of D we expect from Tar Heels. Then we need to get back to 100 rushing RBs.

And what was the team the last time we won the ACC? 1st rate D, 1000 yard RBs, and 1st rate OL.
6'6" 230 don't know anything about him though. Not as impressive offer list as other 2. Vandy had been leader,

just hunt the qb and score points...if teams know that carolina gets after the passer and is efficient on offense, it's over.

I find it a little worrisome that we don't have a single in-state recruit yet.

6'6" 230 don't know anything about him though. Not as impressive offer list as other 2. Vandy had been leader,

UVA might have been the leader if not for London's perch on the HotSeat. Not is a huge deal, but London is like BUnting in that he is a better recruiter and head coach and has a better eye for 3* players who could become really good than he does in signing complete classes that cover all position needs.

As for no commits from NC - that is a bit troublesome, but if we get the needed talent, it matters zilch where the guys played HS football.

For example - if get Kyree Campbell out of VA as out star DT recruit, I will not be bothered that we do not land Christian Colon. I would love to have both, becuase that kind of DL depth is necessary to win at the highest level. But if we can sign only 1 of them, I'll be thrilled with Camobell.

To use an example from a non-border state: I woukd be thrilled to have Garrett Walston as our TE signee, but if he goes elsewhere and we land Noah Turner of IL, then we have what we need.

Guys, don't let the lack of an in-state recruit (so far) disturb you. For starters, from our perspective as fans, a big portion of wanting to get in-state kids is because it gives us the warm and fuzzies. Recruiting a bunch of North Carolinians and then winning with said bunch would obviously be very cool.

But let's get back to reality. It ain't like we're going to upstate New York to get some low-level recruits. We're getting recruits from better recruit-producing states in Georgia and Florida. Florida is one of "The Big Three" and Georgia has risen to 1A in terms of producing excellent quality and quantity of football recruits. This staff recognizes the importance of building connections in FL, GA, and VA. I would like to do a bit better in SC, but the former three states are paramount.

Plus, this NCAA mess is almost over. Makes sense to target kids from other states where, trust me, NO ONE knows about or cares about what UNC has been going through the last 5 years. Outside of local sportswriters and some national sportswriters who are letting their Carolina hate get the best of them (Pat Forde), no one knows about this stuff or cares about it. So let the noises die down in the Triangle and the rest of the state, win big the next couple seasons, and the in-state recruits will be lining up.

And let's not forget there's some big-time in-state recruits we're still in the running for.

Guys, don't let the lack of an in-state recruit (so far) disturb you. For starters, from our perspective as fans, a big portion of wanting to get in-state kids is because it gives us the warm and fuzzies. Recruiting a bunch of North Carolinians and then winning with said bunch would obviously be very cool.

But let's get back to reality. It ain't like we're going to upstate New York to get some low-level recruits. We're getting recruits from better recruit-producing states in Georgia and Florida. Florida is one of "The Big Three" and Georgia has risen to 1A in terms of producing excellent quality and quantity of football recruits. This staff recognizes the importance of building connections in FL, GA, and VA. I would like to do a bit better in SC, but the former three states are paramount.

Plus, this NCAA mess is almost over. Makes sense to target kids from other states where, trust me, NO ONE knows about or cares about what UNC has been going through the last 5 years. Outside of local sportswriters and some national sportswriters who are letting their Carolina hate get the best of them (Pat Forde), no one knows about this stuff or cares about it. So let the noises die down in the Triangle and the rest of the state, win big the next couple seasons, and the in-state recruits will be lining up.

And let's not forget there's some big-time in-state recruits we're still in the running for.

Let me add to the point. Many see our top RB possibility now as Durham's Jordan Brown. But if we lose him and sign Carmin Fils-Aime of Naples, FL, then we will sign a guy higher rated and from a state that produces tons of talent. GA and FL both send all kinds of players worth having oputside their states, very class. Auburn football at its top always is loaded with GA and FL talent. UNC football could use more GA and Fl players.

I've mentioned TE Turner from IL. IL produces the 2nd most talent of historic Big Ten states, and most IL talent has always gone out of state. If we land Turner, that might help us land another top IL player or 2.

excellent post with a number of interesting points.

I agree except for the part where you say "no one knows about this stuff..." Living here in Florida I can tell you even the casual observer knows about our issues. They however do not seem to care much about it, that much I think is true.

I agree except for the part where you say "no one knows about this stuff..." Living here in Florida I can tell you even the casual observer knows about our issues. They however do not seem to care much about it, that much I think is true.
Ok, "don't know" and "don't care" are synonymous. Not sure why people know about it in Florida, to be honest with you. Unless they're seeking out information about it. I mean, dang, here in Atlanta, NO ONE knows and/or cares about it. You could go ask 10 die-hard SEC football fans here about it and maybe 1-2 would know what you're talking about, and neither would care.

Every college football fan "knows the score" -- so to speak -- when it comes to academics. A large percentage of these players wouldn't get admitted to the university they play for. That isn't a knock whatsoever -- they bring a unique talent and skill, which is why they're admitted. People who are raising cane about our issues are people who either 1). Hate Carolina already or 2) are naively hanging on to the belief that every college football and basketball athlete are students first, athletes second. No one in SEC country would care if athletes are their favorite school were taking easy courses. They would care if the athlete became ineligible and couldn't play because he had to take tougher courses!

disagree on the importance of in state talent. if we're not getting them state might and any success those players might have could cost us in future recruiting battles.
winning big would offset that but history hasn't been kind in that regard.
i still want to kick butt in nc if only to shut doeren up.

You could go ask 10 die-hard SEC football fans here about it and maybe 1-2 would know what you're talking about, and neither would care.

I'm not sure using a group with the intelligence level of SEC fans to base "common knowledge" is a fair sample group :D

Kidding aside, I live in Boston, and maybe its because people I talk with know I went to UNC, but it seems like a pretty well-known topic around here. With the disgusting amount of coverage this whole saga has gotten on ESPN and the like (even some non-sports media), I think anyone who even casually checks sports related news is at least aware of the general basics of the situation (or maybe more accurately, the basics that have been portrayed in the media).

As to whether anyone cares - I agree, outside of the ABCers and the rogue "college athletics is the specimen of amatuerism" fan - no one cares one iota about the situation

I'm officially changing my stance from "no one knows" to "some people know, but even if they do know, they just don't care." I agree with y'all on that.

As for getting in-state talent, yes I want to get in-state talent of course. I'd be lying to you if I said my eye doesn't automatically gravitate toward the "home town" column when I consult a roster or consult a recruit's profile. But....it is far away from being the proverbial 'end-all, be-all.' It's a cold, hard fact that Florida and Georgia produce more and better talent than North Carolina, generally speaking. It would be foolish not to mine those two states heavily.

We don't want to fall in to the trap of taking N.C. recruits simply for the sake of boosting in-state numbers. You want dudes who can play, regardless of where their mailbox is located (provided that it's located below the Mason-Dixon Line ;) ). And Like I said above, it's a unique time right now as we get through the end of this NCAA process. These high school juniors and seniors from N.C. have heard nothing but negative press about Carolina since they were in elementary school. Think about that for a second. Makes total sense to farm other states (again, I repeat, ones noted for producing even better talent than North Carolina), use that talent to kick some butt on the field, then let the wins and our cleared name do the talking. In-state recruits will be banging down the door to commit to Carolina.

I'm not sure using a group with the intelligence level of SEC fans to base "common knowledge" is a fair sample group :D

Kidding aside, I live in Boston, and maybe its because people I talk with know I went to UNC, but it seems like a pretty well-known topic around here. With the disgusting amount of coverage this whole saga has gotten on ESPN and the like (even some non-sports media), I think anyone who even casually checks sports related news is at least aware of the general basics of the situation (or maybe more accurately, the basics that have been portrayed in the media).

As to whether anyone cares - I agree, outside of the ABCers and the rogue "college athletics is the specimen of amatuerism" fan - no one cares one iota about the situation

I think many SE fans care little about it because they arew smart enough about college sports to know it is no big deal - save to Ivy League types. As most who have seen me post fdor a while know, I am a Tennessean with family ties to Vandy. And something we all klnow about Vandy sports is that back when the school made its big push to integrate, and not just for sports, it created PE majors and then other easy majors. The defense of the PE major was - you got to have school coaces and PE teachers, and they are better off with Vanday degrees. The defense of new classes like Urban Politics was that they would help black students get their footing - and the coaches realized such classes could be used to get better black athletes into Vandy and keep them eligible.

It's not something they talk about openly - but they aren't stupid enough to think that Vandy could even have a shot at next to last place in SEC football without such courses.

A neighbor of mine is a Minnesota grad. He's lived in TN for more than 30 years, and both his sons are UT grads. When he aske dme about what exactly was this UNC mess, I told him. His reponse was to ask what I knew about Minnesota when Dave Winfiled and his buds were there. The nastiest fight in BT basketball hsitory featured Winfield and buds attacking the Ohio State Center, kneeing him as hard as possible in the groin and then rushing and swinging at the heads of the other 2 white Buckeyes on the court. He said that Winfiled and many other black athletes at Minnesota then were admitted under an open admission policy to increase diversity and atone for racism. He said that a number of courses had been created in various departments that would be easy As to keep them eligible.

So nothing about UNC's AFAM struck him as remotely new or outrageous. As he laughed and stressed, none of our AFAM jocks ever played the role of gang thugs on the baksetball court.

The academic abuses like AFAM go on all over the country, and as at UNC, they begin not with sports but with PC politics. And only hyper naive academics, like the many at UNC, are shocked to learn about such fake classes and very easy As at their school. Only sports-hating fools like Jay Smith blame it all on sports and assume the politically-based academic fraud goes away if UNC sports is destroyed.

SEC fans understand the basics of all that even when they don't know any opf the particulars. So they shrug at it.

Ok, "don't know" and "don't care" are synonymous. Not sure why people know about it in Florida, to be honest with you. Unless they're seeking out information about it. I mean, dang, here in Atlanta, NO ONE knows and/or cares about it. You could go ask 10 die-hard SEC football fans here about it and maybe 1-2 would know what you're talking about, and neither would care.

Every college football fan "knows the score" -- so to speak -- when it comes to academics. A large percentage of these players wouldn't get admitted to the university they play for. That isn't a knock whatsoever -- they bring a unique talent and skill, which is why they're admitted. People who are raising cane about our issues are people who either 1). Hate Carolina already or 2) are naively hanging on to the belief that every college football and basketball athlete are students first, athletes second. No one in SEC country would care if athletes are their favorite school were taking easy courses. They would care if the athlete became ineligible and couldn't play because he had to take tougher courses!
I moved here from Atlanta in 2006. All of my friends there know about it. That may be because of my relationship with some of them, but not all. I mean its been national level news (espn, si, etc.). They just don't care and the ones who I've had lengthy conversations with don't want the NCAA poking around the way they did with us. It seems the only ones really fired up about this are desperate ncstatelol fans and the chokie board. Oh yeah, and Facebook people too because everyone on Facebook is morally superior to everyone else.

Awareness depends on whether you are a football fan and where.....ACC football fans are aware.

FSU fans are very aware as are GT fans and Clemson fans.

Ah yes, FSU fans -- who like UNC, think they're God's gift to the ACC and to college sports -- I'm sure they are aware.

And Clemson fans are aware because they still have generational (mis-applied) hate towards Swofford that they can't shake.

In summary: Swofford!!!!!!11!!1!!!!11

Reactions: UNC '92
The battle we need to win instate is for the Top 10 kids....The highest rated guys...Need to get at least 4 or 5 every year....I would rather have 3 stars from Ga and Fla...The high school football is just better....But you have to keep those Top 10 guys with the Tar Heels....

The battle we need to win instate is for the Top 10 kids....The highest rated guys...Need to get at least 4 or 5 every year....I would rather have 3 stars from Ga and Fla...The high school football is just better....But you have to keep those Top 10 guys with the Tar Heels....
When have we ever done this on a consistent, multi-year basis, though?

That's the problem we haven't....I see that their are 6 guys in the top 10 of NC right now that have not committed....Of those 6 how many do we have a real shot at...

Also last year we got 3 from the top 10 including the No. 1 guy in the State...That's a start....

Last edited:
Don't get seduced by the FL and Ga 3 stars. There are many 3 stars in our state just as good and we are like the #8 state for Division 1 recruits. Dick Crum took our program down several notches when all he wanted to recruit was sloopy seconds from OH , Penn , and Mich , and got away from Dooley's NC-VA base. The NC HS coaches also didn't like Crum.

in football so many kids mature faster than others so it's difficult to evaluate kids before their senior year.
i don't pay a lot of attention to stars i look at who we beat out for kids.

Don't get seduced by the FL and Ga 3 stars. There are many 3 stars in our state just as good and we are like the #8 state for Division 1 recruits. Dick Crum took our program down several notches when all he wanted to recruit was sloopy seconds from OH , Penn , and Mich , and got away from Dooley's NC-VA base. The NC HS coaches also didn't like Crum.
No one's advocating going after OH, Penn, or Mich recruits. I agree, that would be an alarming and downright scary sight if Fedora and staff were going after lots of recruits from those states.

Speaking of 3*'s Cade Carney (Davidson Day) has committed. I hear he is tough as nails 5'11" 213. Maybe some people from Davidson can add comments from actual viewing him play? Finally an NC recruit.

No one's advocating going after OH, Penn, or Mich recruits. I agree, that would be an alarming and downright scary sight if Fedora and staff were going after lots of recruits from those states.
Yeah I know that ,the emphasis was on sloppy seconds and I am not in any way insinuating any of our current recruits are but that was how it played out with Crum and we were passing on great kids in our own backyard. I also realize the increased technology and mass info sharing has really helped the rating of kids too. Playing top 20 FB will require getting some of the best in state recruits and pulling some from out of state by virtue of being a national brand.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT