ADVERTISEMENT

Rosanne tweets end her show

Dang, just when I was getting ready to continue not watching the show.

ETA: For the record, never watched the original, she just has never been very funny to me. Only reason I would have been interested is for John Goodman. So for me at least, it had nothing to do with the fact her beliefs differ wildly from my own.

Reactions: CanuckChuck
Dang, just when I was getting ready to continue not watching the show.

ETA: For the record, never watched the original, she just has never been very funny to me. Only reason I would have been interested is for John Goodman. So for me at least, it had nothing to do with the fact her beliefs differ wildly from my own.

I never watched the new one because I really don't watch tv shows much anymore.

I used to watch the old one years ago. I wasn't a loyal follower or anything like that but it was mildly funny.

I really have no feelings on Rosanne one way or another. I've seen her be funny and I've seen her be crude and lame. I won't lose any sleep over that show not being on TV.

Reactions: grillheel
Honestly, I think she did it just so she could get off the show. She knew what would happen. I think she is completely full of shit when she says she supports Trump. Haven't watched the reboot, so it doesn't matter much to me.

Roseanne's show was back on?

And supposedly it was a show aimed at conservatives or middle America or something for the every man. I don't know. But I know liberals had become anti-Rosanne recently so it's no surprise to see it yanked off the air as quick as it was. It's almost like ABC didn't really want to air it and was sitting around waiting on a good reason to jerk it.

In unrelated news that's kind of related, that liberal cow that teaches at Fresno still has a job.

God Bless America.

But I know liberals had become anti-Rosanne recently so it's no surprise to see it yanked off the air as quick as it was. It's almost like ABC didn't really want to air it and was sitting around waiting on a good reason to jerk it.
I don't think this is true, ABC had previously renewed the reboot for a second season like the day after the first episode aired. It was the highest rated show that ABC had by a considerable margin. I think they were happy to have it on the air as long as the pros outweighed the cons, which apparently shifted today.

People didn't give Bill Maher a pass last year when he dropped the N-word. He didn't lose his show, but plenty of people called for him to.

Ya, I disagree that liberals get passes for racism and that conservatives don't. It really has nothing to do with which political leaning you have, and everything to do with which race you're "attacking" in the joke.

The ratings declined from the premier. It ended up being third, behind football and This is Us.
This is Us is on NBC. Just ABC shows, Roseanne was pulling a 3.49 in the 18-49 demo and 13.5 million viewers, both of which were the highest for ABC by a considerable amount.

Ya, I disagree that liberals get passes for racism and that conservatives don't. It really has nothing to do with which political leaning you have, and everything to do with which race you're "attacking" in the joke.
I think there is some truth to that, but I would say there are two other factors that come into play.

Factor 1: what race the person saying the joke is. Chris Rock can do different jokes than George Lopez can which are different than jokes John Mulaney can. It's not necessarily right, but that often factors in.

Factor 2: Context. Context is everything in comedy, with it, any subject can be funny. I have long held that any topic can be funny if its done properly. Rape, murder, death, illness are not inherently funny subjects but I have seen movies or television or standup routines where any of these subjects have been presented in a funny way.

So I think the big thing that got Roseanne in trouble was the 2nd factor. If she said something off-color in character on the show, about Obama or Hillary or whatever, she probably could have gotten away with it. Saying it in "real life" or as close to real life as twitter is puts more of the pressure on her and the studio since this was a "real" comment, if that makes sense.

i don’t know whether or not she’s a “conservative” but i definitely know she supports trump.

by the way, i don’t exactly know what a conservative is nowadays...haven’t seen, heard, or read anything from one in years.

Reactions: strummingram
This is Us is on NBC. Just ABC shows, Roseanne was pulling a 3.49 in the 18-49 demo and 13.5 million viewers, both of which were the highest for ABC by a considerable amount.
I misread the article. Thought it was saying just ABC. The 13.5 isn't as good as it seems. It's kinda skewed because the premier was 25, but it was declining and finished with 10.3.

i don’t know whether or not she’s a “conservative” but i definitely know she supports trump.

by the way, i don’t exactly know what a conservative is nowadays...haven’t seen, heard, or read anything from one in years.
She says she supports him. I don't think she really does.

Her past would indicate that she's a liberal. She was just using Trump to keep herself relevant.
Maybe her being a liberal when she was younger was part of her act. She is definitely not liberal now. Thus she cannot make off color jokes anymore.

If y'all want a show that ABC actually (probably) did cancel due to the political beliefs of its star, that would be Last Man Standing.

(Yes, @heelz2345 I'm aware that ABC's officially listed reason for cancelling was they were unwilling to pay the production costs for another season).

Reactions: tarheel0910
Maybe her being a liberal when she was younger was part of her act. She is definitely not liberal now. Thus she cannot make off color jokes anymore.
She was liberal until about 5 minutes after Trump decided to run. It's an act now so she can stay relevant. When's the last time you heard of her before she said she supported Trump?

If y'all want a show that ABC actually (probably) did cancel due to the political beliefs of its star, that would be Last Man Standing.

(Yes, @heelz2345 I'm aware that ABC's officially listed reason for cancelling was they were unwilling to pay the production costs for another season).
Agreed. It's been picked back up by Fox though. I also think that the backlash from them cancelling LMS caused them to push forward with the Roseanne reboot.

She was liberal until about 5 minutes after Trump decided to run. It's an act now so she can stay relevant. When's the last time you heard of her before she said she supported Trump?
Doesn't matter. She is a conservative comedian, thus cannot do off color jokes. Yes, double standards exist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT