ADVERTISEMENT

Screw Politics, Let’s Talk NC BBQ

I don’t think it’s accurate to call Lexington style tomato based. I have found most Lexington sauces to be nothing more than an eastern style with a little ketchup added. The point is the two have a lot more in common than people make out to be. But, of course if they didn’t we wouldn’t have anything to argue about. I was always told that the two Bridges were not related but who knows? They both make very good bbq.

which is exactly what makes it tomato-based (compared to eastern style) and clearly distinct from non-tomato-based Eastern style. It's referred to being tomato-based to distinguish it from the original, not because tomato tends to dominate that much.

that would probably be true since the one north of CH does not at this time even exist, as a business or part of one. But if you're saying that two BBQ joints on either side of Chapel Hill, NC., both named Allen and Sons BBQ and both operating concurrently, were in no way connected...well, I'll just be nice and chuckle a little and SMH.
From the book ”Holy Smoke”. “The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue”

”Keith Allen has served fine barbecue to a couple of generations of UNC students and locals at Allen and Sons on hwy 86 north of Chapel Hill (There’s another Allen and Sons on 15-501 toward Pittsboro but someone else runs it now who doesn’t cook with wood”

The two places have not been connected for many years.

There is a tiny air strip with a fantastic BBQ joint in Carthage. Good q, good sides, hummingbird-attracting-tea, and you if you get lucky an airplane lands or takes off in front of you. Pik n Pig.

There is a tiny air strip with a fantastic BBQ joint in Carthage. Good q, good sides, hummingbird-attracting-tea, and you if you get lucky an airplane lands or takes off in front of you. Pik n Pig.
They are on my list, I heard about them on PBS.

From the book ”Holy Smoke”. “The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue”

”Keith Allen has served fine barbecue to a couple of generations of UNC students and locals at Allen and Sons on hwy 86 north of Chapel Hill (There’s another Allen and Sons on 15-501 toward Pittsboro but someone else runs it now who doesn’t cook with wood”

The two places have not been connected for many years.

from your previous post:
"I don’t think the one open now is connected to the Norh CH one at all."

Again, there no longer is a 'north CH one' to be connected with so the above statement is off-target and must be saying something else. But the south one was definitely and unquestionably one of two Allen and Sons BBQ joints, both owned and operated jointly as a single business. That the south one apparently has continued under new ownership from some point in time doesn't mean that it isn't the same Allen and Sons BBQ joint that at one time was a sister joint to the north one...it still has that historic connection and as far as I can tell, is still operated the same and with much the same menu (the banana pudding is still phenomenal, as it used to be so many years ago).

I'm pretty sure you were trying to say that they never were connected. You are sidestepping now.

BTW, this gleaned from Trip Advisor..." in his book The 100 Best Barbecue Restaurants in America, Johnny Fugitt scores the pulled pork at Allen and Son #7, " He's talking about the south of CH one.

from your previous post:
"I don’t think the one open now is connected to the Norh CH one at all."

Again, there no longer is a 'north CH one' to be connected with so the above statement is off-target and must be saying something else. But the south one was definitely and unquestionably one of two Allen and Sons BBQ joints, both owned and operated jointly as a single business. That the south one apparently has continued under new ownership from some point in time doesn't mean that it isn't the same Allen and Sons BBQ joint that at one time was a sister joint to the north one...it still has that historic connection and as far as I can tell, is still operated the same and with much the same menu (the banana pudding is still phenomenal, as it used to be so many years ago).

I'm pretty sure you were trying to say that they never were connected. You are sidestepping now.

BTW, this gleaned from Trip Advisor..." in his book The 100 Best Barbecue Restaurants in America, Johnny Fugitt scores the pulled pork at Allen and Son #7, " He's talking about the south of CH one.
Why do you feel the need to come into every thread and fvck it up? Are you that starved for attention? What I posted was true, they have not been connected in well over 20 years. I started this thread so we could have something to talk about that EVERYBODY would have in comman but you weren’t getting any attention so you started this bullshit. Tell you what, why don’t you do everybody a favor and stay the fvck out of it? BTY, the book you referred to was written in 2013 and if the guy was really talking about the one opened now and not the original one shows he doesn’t know shit about NC bbq. The famous one has been closed less than 2 years, he was talking about the original one I bet.

Last edited:
Why do you feel the need to come into every thread and fvck it up? Are you that starved for attention? What I posted was true, they have not been connected in well over 20 years. I started this thread so we could have something to talk about that EVERYBODY would have in comman but you weren’t getting any attention so you started this bullshit. Tell you what, why don’t you do everybody a favor and stay the fvck out of it? BTY, the book you referred to was written in 2013 and if the guy was really talking about the one opened now and not the original one shows he doesn’t know shit about NC bbq. The famous one has been closed less than 2 years, he was talking about the original one I bet.

LMAO.

I have been going sporadically to the south one since the late 80's at the least, as well as the north one. My last visits were last summer (2019).

The south one is the original one, BTW, started by the father. His son opened the other one and at this time, is back involved with the original Pittsboro location.

You responded to my post determined to correct me in spite of your ignorance and then you refused to admit that you were wrong, just as you are still doing. You started a nice thread and then YOU fvcked it up because you're just an asshole by nature. I tried being nice to you but apparently your need to be right overrides any sense of courtesy you might have. Just because you start a thread doesn't mean we have to anticipate what you will object to and avoid bringing it up.

The author identifies the location he was referring to in the book, and it is the south one, BTW. You don't have to take my word for it, you can google it just like I did. But you won't do that will you? He favored the south one when the north one was still open, FWIW.

Everyone has an opinion and that fact is magnified when it comes to BBQ. You are such a prick that you challenge that BBQ expert's opinion on a BBQ joint when you didn't even know the joint existed (let alone that you have never eaten their BBQ), just because I made a comment that in no way challenged you. That tells the tale on what a dickhead you are.

LMAO.

The south one is the original one,

that you challenge that BBQ expert's opinion on a BBQ joint when you didn't even know the joint existed (let alone that you have never eaten their BBQ), just because I made a comment that in no way challenged you.
I think you are correct, the south one was the orginial but it is not the one that became well known all over the state, it was the north one.

I have been to all the really well known places in NC. I’m sure your place serves fair bbq, I wouldn’t know but I would know it if it served really good. Your place is not in the same league as others mentioned through out this thread. Hell, they don’t even cook with wood, that alone is enough to make it fair at best. Have you ever ate at any of the great places?

I think you are correct, the south one was the orginial but it is not the one that became well known all over the state, it was the north one.

I have been to all the really well known places in NC. I’m sure your place serves fair bbq, I wouldn’t know but I would know it if it served really good. Your place is not in the same league as others mentioned through out this thread. Hell, they don’t even cook with wood, that alone is enough to make it fair at best. Have you ever ate at any of the great places?
a lot of people in Chapel Hill weren't even aware of the Pittsboro joint. The north one is on the outskirts of CH while the south one is out all by itself in the middle of nowhere, miles away from CH. When I was going to either one way back when, the BBQ was pretty much the same at either place. They (the south one) did cook with wood for a very long time, and people like me who had been to both agreed that they were very much the same.

Cooking with charcoal or even gas does not necessarily result in low-quality BBQ. You can still use wood to impart smoke with either method, and truth be told I'm sure many people if not most would not be able to tell the difference. If you can fine, but that doesn't mean the south A&S makes inferior BBQ. I assure you it does not.

I used to live in Greenville in the early eighties, and I ate at Parker's a lot. That was when it was top notch. The other Parker's was also very good, as was Wilber's in Goldsboro. There was a joint in or around Ayden back then (not the Skylight) that was very good. I've been to The Pit and Coopers in Raleigh, Bullock's in Durham and a whole bunch I can't remember the names of. Going to the tomato side of things, I have been to Stamey's and another place in Greensboro that is supposed to be the equal, but I can't remember the name.

I've eaten lots of good BBQ and as I mentioned before, the best BBQ is cooked in a cooker in somebody's backyard. All I did was mention that Allen and Sons was pretty good. If you want to be a self-proclaimed connoisseur of fine BBQ, I have no objection and I don't see the need to discredit me or anyone else for that purpose. You enjoy what you enjoy and I'll enjoy what I enjoy...and comment on it...as I so desire.

Bon apetite!

One of these days a fist fight is gonna break out in this joint.

It's how we roll.
Didnt @Formercat and @tazki meet up after all the Bush years of fighting? I think they had a civil discussion. Or maybe im thinking of someone else

a lot of people in Chapel Hill weren't even aware of the Pittsboro joint. The north one is on the outskirts of CH while the south one is out all by itself in the middle of nowhere, miles away from CH. When I was going to either one way back when, the BBQ was pretty much the same at either place. They (the south one) did cook with wood for a very long time, and people like me who had been to both agreed that they were very much the same.

Cooking with charcoal or even gas does not necessarily result in low-quality BBQ. You can still use wood to impart smoke with either method, and truth be told I'm sure many people if not most would not be able to tell the difference. If you can fine, but that doesn't mean the south A&S makes inferior BBQ. I assure you it does not.

I used to live in Greenville in the early eighties, and I ate at Parker's a lot. That was when it was top notch. The other Parker's was also very good, as was Wilber's in Goldsboro. There was a joint in or around Ayden back then (not the Skylight) that was very good.

I
Do you mean Parker's in Wilson? I bet the one in Ayden you are thinking about is Bum's. You're right, Bum's is very good and they are famous for their collards.

Do you mean Parker's in Wilson? I bet the one in Ayden you are thinking about is Bum's. You're right, Bum's is very good and they are famous for their collards.
yes, Parker's in Wilson. Bum's isn't ringing a bell to me, but maybe. It's been a long time.

I would walk to Wilber's before I'd ride to Parker's to eat.
Not even close IMO. To be fair though, I never ate at Parker’s when they were cooking with wood. Wilber’s and Skylight are the two best in the state. Imo

Reactions: heelbent
I live in the western part of the state but I go through New Bern from time to time, I’ll have to check Moore’s out.
Last time I was in there the guy behind me ordered a fish plate. It was all I could do not to throat punch him.

Last time I was in there the guy behind me ordered a fish plate. It was all I could do not to throat punch him.
Yeah, the good places concentrate on bbq and little else. A good rule of thumb is the shorter the menu the better.

I remember when @blazers almost killed a guy with his advice to smoke a pork shoulder at 100 degrees for 10 minutes or something inane like that. @ticket2ride04 and @UNC '92 should remember that.
typed 120 but meant 220 - those pesky keyboards. I'm not sure if you can cook anything at 120 - maybe cold smoked salmon 🤷‍♂️?

Glad you're thinking of me though. Rent free baby!

typed 120 but meant 220 - those pesky keyboards. I'm not sure if you can cook anything at 120 - maybe cold smoked salmon 🤷‍♂️?

Glad you're thinking of me though. Rent free baby!

Nah. Your smoked meat takes are just as notoriously bad as your political and social commentary. However, I had heard about you before you even started poasting at OOTB. You were known as the board dumbass on Blitz.

Nah. Your smoked meat takes are just as notoriously bad as your political and social commentary. However, I had heard about you before you even started poasting at OOTB. You were known as the board dumbass on Blitz.
As usual, you're full of shit. 220 is a fine starting temp for slow & low, and tons of people do tricks like wrap in foil and increase the heat a bunch to get past the stall.

I'm in your head on every thread.

I am an expert on Allen and Son- the one that closed down is 5 miles from my office.

First off- the original one was the one on 86N, That was where it all started and where Keith Allen cooked up until the day he closed it down last year. The one south of town was a sort of franchise. Screw you @bluetoe for making me post an N&O link, but you are talking out of your ass.

Second, it was a good BBQ sammich, but I certainly wouldn't say it was anywhere close to the Ayden joints (if you like down east Q) or Lexington (if you like western Q). Allen and Son on 86N had all sorts of stuff on their menu too, which is a sure sign of inferior BBQ.

Reactions: heelbent
As usual, you're full of shit. 220 is a fine starting temp for slow & low, and tons of people do tricks like wrap in foil and increase the heat a bunch to get past the stall.

I'm in your head on every thread.

220 is a good temp. You, however, thought it was 120. You can act like it was a typo but you're so stupid, that's a hard sell. Like, if all of your other poasts weren't riddled with idiocy, I might believe you. But you've shown time and again to have no idea what you're talking about yet you still write something and make yourself look bad.

But the south one was definitely and unquestionably one of two Allen and Sons BBQ joints, both owned and operated jointly as a single business. That the south one apparently has continued under new ownership from some point in time doesn't mean that it isn't the same Allen and Sons BBQ joint that at one time was a sister joint to the north one...it still has that historic connection and as far as I can tell, is still operated the same and with much the same menu (the banana pudding is still phenomenal, as it used to be so many years ago).

The only connection between the 2 was that Keith Allen licensed his name and rents them space. Other than that, they have no connection. They weren't owned by the same person and had no JV agreement or anything else.

I never thought I would say this, but @prlyles is kicking your ass in this thread.

• Wow
Reactions: tarheel0910
220 is a good temp. You, however, thought it was 120. You can act like it was a typo but you're so stupid, that's a hard sell. Like, if all of your other poasts weren't riddled with idiocy, I might believe you. But you've shown time and again to have no idea what you're talking about yet you still write something and make yourself look bad.
He slept in a Holiday Inn.

• Haha
Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
And like all of your poasts you are full of shit and just trying to derail because mommy didn't love you as a child. Nothing cooks at 120, that's not a thing.

Nothing cooks at 120, that's not a thing.

Who are you telling? I already know this. You're the one with the moronic take. But as I said, it fits you. This is what we've all come to expect from you. There's another board that many of us poast on and literally every day someone comes there and says, "wow, you have to see the dumbassery that @blazers poasted at OOTB today." When you were just starting to poast here, all those same folks cringed as they thought of you as the moron of Blitz. I didn't know what to expect because I don't poast at Blitz anymore. Haven't in 5,6,7, 10 years. But pretty much all the poasters I correspond with said your takes were the worst on the board. This is your reputation, fella. Just own it at this point. You're a certified idiot. But you can be King of the Idiots. That's what you should shoot for.

Who are you telling? I already know this. You're the one with the moronic take. But as I said, it fits you. This is what we've all come to expect from you. There's another board that many of us poast on and literally every day someone comes there and says, "wow, you have to see the dumbassery that @blazers poasted at OOTB today." When you were just starting to poast here, all those same folks cringed as they thought of you as the moron of Blitz. I didn't know what to expect because I don't poast at Blitz anymore. Haven't in 5,6,7, 10 years. But pretty much all the poasters I correspond with said your takes were the worst on the board. This is your reputation, fella. Just own it at this point. You're a certified idiot. But you can be King of the Idiots. That's what you should shoot for.
You hate it when people disagree with your shitty world view. Instead offering legit arguments you just piss and moan. That's your strength in life, congrats.

You hate it when people disagree with your shitty world view. Instead offering legit arguments you just piss and moan. That's your strength in life, congrats.

I do hate when people don’t agree that smoking meat should be done at a temp higher than 120 degrees.

We’re all still trying to figure out your strength in life. Politics? Nope. Football? Nope. Smoked meats? Nope. What else would you like to opine on? I’m sure your take on whatever it is is equally as moronic.

Congrats.

I do hate when people don’t agree that smoking meat should be done at a temp higher than 120 degrees.

We’re all still trying to figure out your strength in life. Politics? Nope. Football? Nope. Smoked meats? Nope. What else would you like to opine on? I’m sure your take on whatever it is is equally as moronic.

Congrats.
And congrats on doing what you do, derailing a good thread.

The only connection between the 2 was that Keith Allen licensed his name and rents them space. Other than that, they have no connection. They weren't owned by the same person and had no JV agreement or anything else.

I never thought I would say this, but @prlyles is kicking your ass in this thread.
I'm sorry but he's not. How can you possibly believe that two BBQ restaurants on either side of Chapel Hill, both named Allen and Sons, have no connection? The old man started the one near Pittsboro and the son worked with him until he opened the one above Chapel Hill. Now that that one is closed, the son is back involved with the one near Pittsboro.

I'm sorry but he's not. How can you possibly believe that two BBQ restaurants on either side of Chapel Hill, both named Allen and Sons, have no connection? The old man started the one near Pittsboro and the son worked with him until he opened the one above Chapel Hill. Now that that one is closed, the son is back involved with the one near Pittsboro.

Did you read what I linked? Open the ****ing article you moron.

I was born in Chapel Hill. I currently live 35 minutes from Chapel Hill. I went to UNC. I work now in Hillsborough and it is about 5 miles with no turns (other than parking lots) from my office door to the old Allen and Son front door. Trust me when I tell you I am much more informed about this than you. Hell, @prlyles is more informed than you.

Now if you are trying to claim that Keith Allen's grandfather opened a restaurant near Pittsboro which no longer exists, I have no knowledge of this either way. But the one that is now south of Chapel Hill is not owned by Keith Allen, although he does own the building. Again, it's all in the article I linked.

Also, it is Allen and SON- singular.

5c12a36536606.image.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT