ADVERTISEMENT

Several NCAA assistant basketball coaches arrested

View image on Twitter
DKv92P4VAAEOF1R.jpg:small

Follow
Darren Rovell

✔@darrenrovell

Confirmed that Haley Jurich, daughter of Louisville's Tom Jurich, is an adidas employee. LinkedIn says she joined company in March.
Wood.

Going to get deeper, and wider, in scope. In a year it wouldn't surprise me if the kids are playing in Sketchers. Anyone who thinks that Nike and Under Armor, are not just as guilty aren't living in the current basketball world. This stuff is exactly what drove Gary Williams to retire at Maryland. He refused to deal with the AAU folks and the program started to slip.
If AAU is what caused him to retire that means they did one good deed.

Reactions: carolinablue34
I can't help but laugh at that statement. If there were no violations why would he resign and what were the other coaches not involved with?
You guys don't live with it on a regular basis, but suffice to say bama is the Secretariat of "getting out in front" of impending trouble and claiming to have solved the issue internally. That has often worked with the NCAA --- lessee if the FBI is so forgiving. Tom Emmert isn't running the Bureau.

What makes you think that? His father has already proven that he has no problem pimping his kids out.

You just answered your question. Its not illegal to get money from your dad, its illegal to get money from agents and shoe companies, both of which Lavar told to f off

You just answered your question. Its not illegal to get money from your dad, its illegal to get money from agents and shoe companies, both of which Lavar told to f off
It's illegal for family members to get money. What makes you think he wouldn't sell his kids to the highest bidder? He made it clear it's all about the money for him.

Some folks need to re-read the compliance manual. Or do they use the cliff notes version down to the SEC and Indy with Emmert?

What do you guys think about Washington? I never thought they were a high powered basketball school, but lately they have gotten a lot of high level recruits. And didn't Julius Randle commit to them prior to being "lured" away to UK for the honor of playing for Calipari? Maybe I'm wrong about that

What do you guys think about Washington? I never thought they were a high powered basketball school, but lately they have gotten a lot of high level recruits. And didn't Julius Randle commit to them prior to being "lured" away to UK for the honor of playing for Calipari? Maybe I'm wrong about that
Given everything we know so far, pretty much anything is possible.

Terrence Jones

This is getting out of hand quickly; I saw yesterday where a wolfpack fan was saying that UNC carried a big stick, because we got the feds to investigate everyone, so the NCAA could quietly drop our case.
False. Nike got the feds involved to protect us. UNC is paying all of our 5 star OAD players to stay in school instead of getting drafted in the first round like they are projected to do. Get it right!

Okay so this is the timeline and process as i’m thinking. Feel free to weigh in and correct where i’m wrong

The aau circuit takes off big time about a decade ago

Aau teams are financed by shoe companies

Elite recruits sign up for aau teams. Why they choose one or the other? Good question

“Handlers” associated with these teams start being used on a widespread basis by elite recruits about the same time. The assumption is these handlers are paid by the shoe companies to steer recruits to certain schools, agents, and financial advisors.

Coach williams refuses to go the handler route

Ky, dook, ariz, louisville, nc state go all in. Ky especially with ww

Ky, dook, ariz, louisville and even nc state out recruit unc the last decade.

Now we know some of these recruits at ariz and louisville got cash from the shoe companies to go there.

So follow and connect the dots from Byrne (ariz, Miss.St. and now bama) cause he as been involved with ea offender so far...does it lead to his buddies in Indy, Sankey and Emmert? Hmm?

Okay so this is the timeline and process as i’m thinking. Feel free to weigh in and correct where i’m wrong

The aau circuit takes off big time about a decade ago

Aau teams are financed by shoe companies

Elite recruits sign up for aau teams. Why they choose one or the other? Good question

“Handlers” associated with these teams start being used on a widespread basis by elite recruits about the same time. The assumption is these handlers are paid by the shoe companies to steer recruits to certain schools, agents, and financial advisors.

Coach williams refuses to go the handler route

Ky, dook, ariz, louisville, nc state go all in. Ky especially with ww

Ky, dook, ariz, louisville and even nc state out recruit unc the last decade.

Now we know some of these recruits at ariz and louisville got cash from the shoe companies to go there.

Well it goes much further back than a decade, it was pretty much wide open in the 90s, what we have seen is the exponential growth of sports agent involvement, which honestly is worse than the shoe company involvement. But what has changed over the last decade is that the 2 seem to have united together rather than be separate but with common goals. The shoe companies are the public face of this (example Nike with EYBL or the Addias circut) but the sports agents are the more silent partners and their roots can trace back to some VERY interesting involvements, you know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...

But this is what Dean was referring to when he shared how recruiting had changed and that he just couldn't do it any more, the pressure to do what everyone else is doing or fall behind was on him and Dean just refused to vacate his values.

The AAU system got to the point that they were beginning to funnel kids directly to the NBA and by pass college, quickly the NBA saw they didn't want to sign them so young with so little to compare them to and having no established developmental league installed the 1&D rule that forced these agents and shoe company folk to once again deal with college coaches. For WWW and his buddy Calipari it was a marriage made win win, other coaches were left behind as Calipari got 5star after 5star handed to him. It was either do what he does or get left behind, K jumped in, others like Kansas and Arizona to a lesser extent. Over the last few years we have seen programs come from no where to sign big time classes, look at Miss st this last cycle. So others hopped that band wagon, it was green flag racin until tuesday when a red flag went up and all cars were called to the pitts for inspection...

I am telling you right now, duke and Ky will get hit in this, the NCAA will cover them as much as it can but the FBI don't care who the program is or who their coach is, way to many 5 stars to come out of this without a scratch.

Well it goes much further back than a decade, it was pretty much wide open in the 90s, what we have seen is the exponential growth of sports agent involvement, which honestly is worse than the shoe company involvement. But what has changed over the last decade is that the 2 seem to have united together rather than be separate but with common goals. The shoe companies are the public face of this (example Nike with EYBL or the Addias circut) but the sports agents are the more silent partners and their roots can trace back to some VERY interesting involvements, you know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...

But this is what Dean was referring to when he shared how recruiting had changed and that he just couldn't do it any more, the pressure to do what everyone else is doing or fall behind was on him and Dean just refused to vacate his values.

The AAU system got to the point that they were beginning to funnel kids directly to the NBA and by pass college, quickly the NBA saw they didn't want to sign them so young with so little to compare them to and having no established developmental league installed the 1&D rule that forced these agents and shoe company folk to once again deal with college coaches. For WWW and his buddy Calipari it was a marriage made win win, other coaches were left behind as Calipari got 5star after 5star handed to him. It was either do what he does or get left behind, K jumped in, others like Kansas and Arizona to a lesser extent. Over the last few years we have seen programs come from no where to sign big time classes, look at Miss st this last cycle. So others hopped that band wagon, it was green flag racin until tuesday when a red flag went up and all cars were called to the pitts for inspection...

I am telling you right now, duke and Ky will get hit in this, the NCAA will cover them as much as it can but the FBI don't care who the program is or who their coach is, way to many 5 stars to come out of this without a scratch.

Let me say this clearly, players have been bought and paid for to go to schools for a VERY long time, I know back to the 70s and strongly suspect well before then. But when it was done back then the coach would let it be known to 2 or 3 close boosters that he could get a kid for X-amount of money, usually in the $5-10K range but sometimes more. The boosters would raise the money, coach pass it to the kid or his family and everyone kept their mouths shut. There was always big time risk that someone would talk but all had reason not to. Now that was how it was done back in the day when most kids stayed in your program for 4yrs,of course plus the golden handshakes that occurred and all the extra perks kids enjoy out and about town.

What changed was due to 2 men, William Wesley and John Calipari, Calipari was well known as a guy not above putting getting talent above anything else, he did it at UMass by buying players and skirting the entrance rules to phoney up grades that allowed non-qualifier kids to get admitted and play. But it was William Wesley (WWW) that figured out how to put this all together. He went from being a shoe salesman to what many considered to be the main power broker in college basketball.

WWW, as a independent broker rather than company employee moved forward the idea at first to Phil Knight and Nike that they could expand their business model and lock in shoe deals with the very best players coming thru college if they could get in really early with these kids, before they get to college. Slide them money, give their shoes to their AAU program, get in solid with the AAU coaches by sliding them money, sponser events for them, remove the cost of running AAU programs for teams that typically had the big time talent. Get in on them early like that and have that relationship built before they figure out what college program they will play for and it will be easy to steer them to one of your Nike schools, especially Nike schools that will not hold them in college more than the 1yr rule and I know a coach perfect for that. Right now he coaches at Memphis but is looking for a higher profile gig, he will do anything it takes to get the top talent.

The kick is, WWW was not actually exclusive to Nike, he also brokered a couple other shoe companies but Nike was his go to because Nike had more existing deals with college programs. Of course Calipari jumped on this, some of those folks he was dealing with in Memphis were as Trump says, bad hombres, but in this way Cal didn't have to personally broker the deal, he had that degree of separation and he didn't have to include boosters or those guys in Memphis who can have big mouths at times. So WWW was able to handle the arrangements for the money, had big money from the shoe companies to throw around, he got his up front cut and back end cut when the kid was finally able to officially sign his shoe deal publicly, and the only other thing WWW had to do was handle the grade eligibility issue but that is rather easy when you have money to spend. Maybe you really thought Derrick Rose took that final SAT in Chicago, WWWs home town, while he was on a vacation to watch the Bulls play? LOL

OK, so flash forward, WWW puts together a deal with a sports agency group, one that in addition to pro players also have a good number of coaches under agent contracts, wut wo, so ya wonder how the shoe companies and sports agents ended up in the same bed together, there ya go, from there the die was cast as they say. But other coaches felt this thing was more than they could control, it was causing kids to leave to early, you had to play to many freshmen and after all you can't win led by freshmen. But then Cal wins it all with a team lead by freshmen and all the sudden the game changed.

Amazing how all the sudden K was putting together big time 5 star freshman classes of kids that became 1&D and they as well win a Natty? Yeah, amazing how since that it is duke and Ky dominating recruiting and Roy can't get a 5 star big man if he married his mom? And now all the sudden Roy loses recruits to such power house programs as Miss St, Texas, ect? Arizona gets big time recruiting class but have won exact squat in dang near fo ever? Give Self credit, he may have had 1 or 2 a year bought but at least he won with them and he didn't load up on so many of them that he had to totally rebuild his program every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT