ADVERTISEMENT

Shannon Off the Board

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
SIAP

I see he committed to Illinois yesterday.

Was he waiting to see if something would open up here, or did that door close when Caleb decided to return? Or something else?

Either way, nice pick up for Brad Underwood.

Even if Caleb hadn't returned, I thought we needed a Manek replacement more than yet another wing - although I would love to have had Shannon too. But it looks like both of those boats have sailed.

Reactions: Archer2
SIAP

I see he committed to Illinois yesterday.

Was he waiting to see if something would open up here, or did that door close when Caleb decided to return? Or something else?

Either way, nice pick up for Brad Underwood.

Even if Caleb hadn't returned, I thought we needed a Manek replacement more than yet another wing - although I would love to have had Shannon too. But it looks like both of those boats have sailed.
So in your mind UNC is 0-2. Meanwhile, I see a big blue 4-0 being a far more important issue.

Lineup I want to see at some point, Mando, Styles, Puff, Love, RJ. That team could get out and run. Could they defend and rebound? Good question. Whoever played the four would be at a disadvantage defensively but would have an advantage offensively. I think Hubert will play more guys and will add a couple of wrinkles with a veteran team. For instance, I think we look to run more next year. I think we’ll also see a little zone consistently, a la Dean. Hubert will only grow in his role. As he said, it’s the difference between making suggestions and making decisions. LOL, so true.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Did you catch all the Michigan drama? Two players from Michigan tweeted at Texas Tech's head coach and insulted him for denying Shannon the opportunity to take summer classes to graduate so he could transfer to Michigan.

Apparently Michigan was his choice over Illinois. But Michigan has some very difficult transfer admissions, so they needed him to go ahead and graduate this summer at Texas Tech. Grad student admissions are easier. But when Shannon announced he was transferring, that was the end of his basketball scholarship at TT. TT wasn't about to pay for his summer school classes, and I guess it wasn't important enough for Shannon to pay for those classes himself. So he picked Illinois, who can admit him easier.

Lineup I want to see at some point, Mando, Styles, Puff, Love, RJ. That team could get out and run. Could they defend and rebound? Good question. Whoever played the four would be at a disadvantage defensively but would have an advantage offensively. I think Hubert will play more guys and will add a couple of wrinkles with a veteran team. For instance, I think we look to run more next year. I think we’ll also see a little zone consistently, a la Dean. Hubert will only grow in his role. As he said, it’s the difference between making suggestions and making decisions. LOL, so true.
Could certainly be, but other then injury I can't see Leaky not in that mix as a big minute guy, and as the best option if we do RUN UNC more. I do not see zone as more then a change of pace strategy, but traps in the half, utilizing Dean's pressure schemes being more in play, I do think that will be implemented more.

I do agree they will have to be creative at the 4, but I am hoping Washington can handle big minutes there, which would eliviate some of the issue.

I also think Hubert is not going deeper then 8, unless there are injuries on a regular, others will get spot time, be ready and have the opportunity to get in that 8, maybe a soft 9. I think he believes in the best play in games, and keep the others ready in practice, but not subbing to just rest and develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
Oh I agree Leaky starts and plays 28-30 mpg. I also agree that we’ll play man-to-man most of the time. But we’ll have the depth to pressure a little as well as throw in a little zone to give our opponents a different look from time to time. I do think we’ll go a little deeper bench wise. It’s yet to be determined how deep Hubert likes to go but I think this year was an outlier, being forced due to injuries.

While I don't expect us to use zone much, I do think it could be a way to get more minutes for some freshmen, sophs and Kerwin. When our starters who are good at man D need a blow, put in some of those guys and switch to zone for a couple of minutes.

Another thing that some of us cry out for when we have the manpower for it - usually in vain - is to press more. It's another way to disrupt, and might also be another way to give certain players on the bench some extra PT. Is that something we might see more under Hubert?

Why do you think there's a big issue with our incoming class? Or is it our returnees that you think are a big issue?
Unlike you, I think that our four incoming freshmen can and will get the job done. Also unlike you I happen to believe that our current roster for next season, is as good as it needs to be in order to win any game that we will play next season...

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
A shame that Shannon committed before Kerwin decided to enter the portal.

Again, I'm not sure Shannon would have been our top choice, but he looked good and would have been a fine addition to the roster. It would have been interesting to see if Hubert would have gone after him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT