ADVERTISEMENT

Since Hansrbough left

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
UNC teams have become less and less able to play half court offense. Teams that cannot play at least slightly above average half court offense and defense cannot win the NCAA tournament.

Roy either will adjust his recruiting to land 3 point shooters and other players who can star in the half court, or his career will end as it has been the past few years.

Originally posted by keysersosay#1:

Ok glad we got that settled
happy0002.r191677.gif

Yep, injuries have plagued UNC since then (along with transfers, early entries, etc.) but they can still make some noise and have dooK at home still.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
UNC teams have become less and less able to play half court offense. Teams that cannot play at least slightly above average half court offense and defense cannot win the NCAA tournament.

Roy either will adjust his recruiting to land 3 point shooters and other players who can star in the half court, or his career will end as it has been the past few years.
Accurate post.

You can not play effective halfcourt offense without quality guards. It just is hardly possible. Right now our guards are struggling big time. Until that changes, the HC game will struggle.

not being able to play half court offense is what got us over 60 points in the paint vs Dook.

We just had a bad game guys. After we beat Miami all of you will climb back out of the cellar.

Originally posted by ROYANDDEAN:
not being able to play half court offense is what got us over 60 points in the paint vs Dook.

We just had a bad game guys. After we beat Miami all of you will climb back out of the cellar.
Duke has absolutely zero interior defense and did not collapse their defense. Our bigs are very good players. If you play them one on one all night we can get the ball to them and score. State collapsed everything. I don't how good your bigs are they will struggle with the entire defense collapsing. With good guards teams can't do this. I am hardly ever a glass half empty kind of guy and still can't wait until Saturday. I most certainly don't want to fire Roy. I definitely think this team can make a run in the tournament with the right matchups. However, you have to understand the limitations of this team. It is reasonable to discuss them. In games with less than 65 possessions we are 1-6. That is a halfcourt offense issue and it starts with the guards. It doesn't mean they can't win some games and be pretty good. They can. It just means that is the weakness of this team.

Originally posted by coryfly:
Originally posted by ROYANDDEAN:

Duke has absolutely zero interior defense and did not collapse their defense. Our bigs are very good players. If you play them one on one all night we can get the ball to them and score. State collapsed everything. I don't how good your bigs are they will struggle with the entire defense collapsing. With good guards teams can't do this. I am hardly ever a glass half empty kind of guy and still can't wait until Saturday. I most certainly don't want to fire Roy. I definitely think this team can make a run in the tournament with the right matchups. However, you have to understand the limitations of this team. It is reasonable to discuss them. In games with less than 65 possessions we are 1-6. That is a halfcourt offense issue and it starts with the guards. It doesn't mean they can't win some games and be pretty good. They can. It just means that is the weakness of this team.
...and what the NCAA tournament is all about.

not just him,you can't leave out Danny,Wayne,Deon,Bobby, and Ty.You need to look at Cal's OAD scheme and some potential guys we lost to them.that 2009 team was more than Psycho T.

Very good post Cory, yes half court offense is a real problem but in my opinion not as large a problem as our half court defense by our back court. Our guards are getting abused, that is especially troubling when we do get bogged down in to a half court offense with a lack of real jump shooters. We don't have the rim protectors to erase the back courts defensive mistakes, not staying in front of your guy, allowing paint penetration with the dribble, forcing us to help and that forcing a man to leave his primary assignment leaving someone with another wide open jump shot.

Had a few transfers to West Coast, which gave us less players for games (sub & fouls) and practices.

The Wear Twins left after the 2009-10(NIT season) real late in the calendar year.Will Graves was kicked off the team then the next season Larry Drew II would leave out before we played @ Dook because Roy decided to go with Butter as our starting PG.
The BIGGEST HITS thought were after the 2011-12 season where Black Falcon,Butter,and Henson ALL Left early to go with Zeller graduating too.

Butter's injury, and various injuries throughout one-and-dones and other early entrants, injuries taking up a lot of their eligibility.

If Theo back next game, we can tune up for dooK.

Originally posted by C-Smoove:
The Wear Twins left after the 2009-10(NIT season) real late in the calendar year.......
I firmly believe this has been a long-term negative for the program.
When the where-are-they? twins left, Roy had no back-up in the front court and no recruiting momentum for that year. He lucked out getting Justin Knox to come on as a 5th year graduate transfer but by the time 11-12 came around he was recruiting Des Hubert as a back-up (when the twins should have been impact juniors!)

11-12 was de-railed by Cretin and their treatment of Kendall, but remember, Henson was also banged up and getting hacked by the poojays. All this was (I believe) because the Heels lacked a quality bruiser who could protect his players on the floor. One (or both) of the twins were intended to fulfil that role.

Had the 11-12 team had the bodies it needed and fulfilled it's potential by playing the NC game (maybe even won) then the last few years would have been very, very different.

So to the OP, yes, it hasn't been the same since Hansbrough, but there's only ever going to be one #50!

Hansbrough's toughness on display last night. He knew what to do when some chump grabbed him by the neck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT