ADVERTISEMENT

SI's Thamel and Evans slam Jeremy Foley

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
for botching the coaching search.

For us, the foul up and resulting embarrassment could mean that Foley is back to orther options, and that could start balls rolling that creat waves that reach Chapel Hill.

I reckon is is waste of time to pray that Foley demands his new HC take Koenning and Disch as Co-DCs.

But if Foley is embarrassed with his back to the wall, he may turn to a former Gators assistant he apparently liked. Fedora fits the bill.

If Fedora intends to keep Koenning and Disch come Hell or hig water, I would prefer he leave and take them with him.

Just don't see Fedora to UF. The fanbase would riot , loot and burn Gainesville to the ground.

First of all, what a stupid effing article. How do they follow this sentence...:

We'll reserve judgment on McElwain for what he does on the field.

...with this one?:

But ... squandered opportunities for Foley to hire a more established and bigger name coach shows just how far he and the Gators have fallen.

If they're reserving judgment on McElwain, how can they criticize the hire? Oh, because he's not "established" or a "big name" coach? Gimme a break. You know, Mike Leach fit both criteria and his tenure at Wazzu has been a disaster so far. Ditto Charlie Weis, and how did that work out for Kansas?

Oh, wait. They specifically mentioned Dan Mullen, Charlie Strong, and James Franklin. Well Dan Mullen is 46-30 overall, 22-26 in the SEC after 6 years on the job. This is his best season to date and I'd bet good money they regress next year. Strong and Franklin are in their first years on the job so it's too early to tell whether those were truly great hires. But for the record, they both finished 6-6 this season.

I happen to think McElwain would be a terrific hire for UF. He took a CSU team that went 3-9 three straight years and turn them into a 10-win team. In any event, the Fedora-to-Florida ship sailed a long time ago.

This post was edited on 12/4 12:21 PM by Raising Heel

Should've canned Muschamp one year earlier and hired Strong.

I am still shocked that this did not come to pass. Makes way too much sense to everyone (except Foley).

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
Should've canned Muschamp one year earlier and hired Strong.

I am still shocked that this did not come to pass. Makes way too much sense to everyone (except Foley).
I think Foley is one of those guys who will not do anything to acknowldge a mistake. He made a mistake rushing to hire Muschamp, in part because Muschamp was a very hot item and was Coach in Waiting at Texas. I think Foley's ego wanted to prove he could take something away from big Tex.

Firing Muschamp after 3 years and hiring Strong would have led to all fans of FSU and other SEC schools as well as most Gators to say that Foley was a failure for not hiring the Gators DC.

He probably expects to be praised by UF fans for getting a former Bama OC for 2 National champs who has gone 10-2 at Colorado St.

I think McElwain can win in Gainesville, but he is not what I would call a Home Run hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT