ADVERTISEMENT

Stats and stuff (Wake game)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post. I'll add another qualm about this imaginary statistic-the inherent biases from the scorekeeper keeping said imaginary stat. I'm fairly certain a certain "dirty ole nasty dawg" gets more leeway when making a potential assist that turns blown than a less favored member of the heels. Besides that, by its very nature the blown assist is a canard because two people watching the same game may not agree upon wether said assist ending in a blown should be categorized as such.

Statistics need to be objective, something which all scorekeepers can agree on. The blown assist by its very nature is subjective and as I've explained very vulnerable to biases.

Just curious, but why do you or anyone else care what stats gary tracks - real or fake? I mean, who gives a shit?

- Young is averaging the most points scored or assisted on in NCAA history.
- Berry has hit Young's current points/game in one game in his entire career.
- Berry has hit Young's current assists/game in one game in his entire career.
UNC's offense is #22. Oklahoma's offense is #12; last year (before Young) it was #118.

I get the "big game experience" angle as a tiebreaker, but Young is so far ahead of Berry that there's no need for a tiebreaker.

My comment about Berry is in no way a knock on Young. He's a great player and will be a far better pro than Berry if he stays healthy. But if comes down to a tie game with under a minute left in an NCAA tournament final this year, I will take Berry every time. In my opinion, experience matters in those situations. Just ask Kentucky fans.

[
Just curious, but why do you or anyone else care what stats gary tracks - real or fake? I mean, who gives a shit?

Why do you give a shit why I inquire and or try to decipher the meaning of a made up stat? We are on a public message board where thoughts and ideas are continuously volleyed back and forth. It also appears I'm not the only one who doesn't really get this mythical "blown assist" thing so I'm not sure why you singled out my post(s).Furthermore, just because I comment on something doesn't mean I "give a shit" to the extent you're pretending in your post-which I'm sure you can tell by the humorous and or sarcastic nature with which I approach the subject.. but you're smart so you figured that out, right?

I don't believe there'll be quite that much need for bracing.

Well i certainly hope not but really bad teams are giving us all we can handle. Wake lost to drake and liberty and shoulda lost to coastal. Wofford is 8-5. Mich st went thru is like shit thru a goose. We have beaten two prob tourney teams in ark and tenn. Sorry but finishing over .500 in conf is gonna be a struggle. Just being realistic given what i’ve seen.

Well i certainly hope not but really bad teams are giving us all we can handle. Wake lost to drake and liberty and shoulda lost to coastal. Wofford is 8-5. Mich st went thru is like shit thru a goose. We have beaten two prob tourney teams in ark and tenn. Sorry but finishing over .500 in conf is gonna be a struggle. Just being realistic given what i’ve seen.
I can't blame ya... but have faith. New parts to mesh in and stuff, and conference is a bear for sure but we tend to get better.

You make some good points. I just want to see the young players continue to develop so they're more ready to contribute at the beginning of the 2018 season and I want the team to make the tournament. It's important for the younger guys to have some "big game" experience heading into next year. If those two things happen, I will consider this season a success regardless of the final win-loss record.

Reactions: shun1
[

Why do you give a shit why I inquire and or try to decipher the meaning of a made up stat? We are on a public message board where thoughts and ideas are continuously volleyed back and forth. It also appears I'm not the only one who doesn't really get this mythical "blown assist" thing so I'm not sure why you singled out my post(s).Furthermore, just because I comment on something doesn't mean I "give a shit" to the extent you're pretending in your post-which I'm sure you can tell by the humorous and or sarcastic nature with which I approach the subject.. but you're smart so you figured that out, right?

A. The stat is neither mythical, nor made up. In fact, it is very useful.

B. You are not deciphering or inquiring about anything, you're a pot stirrer.

C. (From another post). However, I do agree that there is favoritism toward Berry in his posts, some deserved, some not. Berry is a winner & will go down as one of the best players to ever put on a UNC uniform, so I have no problem reading whatever Gary writes, it is very informative even if slightly biased at times.

All of this may be true but the bigger moron is the idiot that opens and reads a thread originated by a poster that he assumes to be "a moron who wants to stroke his own ego by throwing around bullshit stats to make it sound like he understands the game". What kind of fool does that? Again, if you have such animosity towards Gary, use the sense the Good Lord gave you and go on to the next thread!
No shit. While there is no official stat that tracks "blown assists", there is no doubt that they exist. When a guy misses an uncontested layup, that's a blown assist, even Dean used to track those. But perhaps you're smarter than Dean.

Gary is opinionated and abrasive at times. But he knows more about basketball than most of our posters. So take what he says for what you think it's worth. Stop this petty bickering where some of you disagree with everything he says just because he's the one who said it. It's like the Never Trumpers, you're going to disagree just because you dislike his character, regardless of the veracity of his comments. That's BS.

Less petty bickering and more exchange of ideas would be very welcome here. I'll give that to OOTB, they welcome any comments, intelligent and other wise. the latter of which allows me to poast there from time to time.

Strikes me that your passionate take on a blown assist is more due to who believes in it more than what is actually is or its value. You clearly as well as a few others have a ax to grind with gary, I get that, I as well that gary does bring a lot of it on himself due to his brashness and desire to have the last word. I actually do get all that. But when you become what you seem to dislike you become no better than the object of your dissatisfaction. I do think by now we all get it, gary can rather easily be baited in to stating a brash retort to something he does not like and yet so many seem to have this need to drag him in to a pissing match, as if that were some kind of sport? Yet in doing so, they in my view become so much worse than that guy they hate because they are dwelling in and inspiring pettiness. Gary is actually rather easy to discuss things with, but you have to be willing to actually discuss and not be childish about it. he says things I do not agree with all the time and I call him on it but I am not looking for an argument, simply stating that I see it another way. When he does or in your opinion step over the line, if he acts in your opinion like a idiot or jerk, why match that in like kind? It is as if some feel this strange need to raise the bar of lunacy and then complain that things are out of hand? It is petty, it is childish, and it is inmature and it isn't on gary, it is on those that prod the nonsense on. I am not going to stir up a hornets nest and stand there to see what happens then complain because I got stung, the fact I got stung was my own damn fault for stirring up that nest in the first place and then after I did not getting the heck out of the way.
Amen.

I agree on the Trae Young at #1 view... it’s hard to argue with the line he’s producing this year and it’ll show when he’s the first lead guard selected in the ‘18 draft.

That said, I still love JB’s game and would put him in the top 2-3 floor generals in the college game.

And yeah, if people don’t like these threads or the content within, start your own thread with analysis, insight and food for discussion. I agree, Gary can be prickly, but he’s copped a fair whack of abuse over the years and it might be he’s sick to death of being ‘ganged up on’ by a bunch of internet bullies, some of whom have openly admitted they like stirring the pot to get a rise out of people.

A. The stat is neither mythical, nor made up. In fact, it is very useful.

B. You are not deciphering or inquiring about anything, you're a pot stirrer.

C. (From another post). However, I do agree that there is favoritism toward Berry in his posts, some deserved, some not. Berry is a winner & will go down as one of the best players to ever put on a UNC uniform, so I have no problem reading whatever Gary writes, it is very informative even if slightly biased at times.

Blown assists are a real stat? Please show me where any reputable statistical site uses it and I'll gladly say it's legit. I've never seen it referenced other than on thr.

No shit. While there is no official stat that tracks "blown assists", there is no doubt that they exist. When a guy misses an uncontested layup, that's a blown assist, even Dean used to track those. But perhaps you're smarter than Dean.

Gary is opinionated and abrasive at times. But he knows more about basketball than most of our posters. So take what he says for what you think it's worth. Stop this petty bickering where some of you disagree with everything he says just because he's the one who said it. It's like the Never Trumpers, you're going to disagree just because you dislike his character, regardless of the veracity of his comments. That's BS.

Less petty bickering and more exchange of ideas would be very welcome here. I'll give that to OOTB, they welcome any comments, intelligent and other wise. the latter of which allows me to poast there from time to time.

Amen.
Dude, you out-posted me again!
Happy New Year Arch’

Blown assists are a real stat? Please show me where any reputable statistical site uses it and I'll gladly say it's legit. I've never seen it referenced other than on thr.
Why does it matter if they're "real" or not? This egomaniacal desire on the part of several of our posters to prove who's right and who's wrong is ruining our board. If you disagree, politely say so. This childish feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys is unnecessary and counter productive to open discussion of ideas. IMO, both Gary and those who constantly goad him should back off.

Why does it matter if they're "real" or not? This egomaniacal desire on the part of several of our posters to prove who's right and who's wrong is ruining our board. If you disagree, politely say so. This childish feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys is unnecessary and counter productive to open discussion of ideas. IMO, both Gary and those who constantly goad him should back off.
Arch, do you feel like Andy?

Reactions: tarheel0910

It has nothing to do with being right or wrong. It's not a real stat, end of story. There are those here who would like a clear definition of what the stat even means since it's so nebulous and used in almost every paragraph of his game breakdowns. I like his recaps, fwiw, although I think he gives himself way to much credit for pointing out the obvious while also alienating people(and sometimes throwing it in people's faces how "right" and smart he thinks he is) at the same time.

And yeah, if people don’t like these threads or the content within, start your own thread with analysis, insight and food for discussion. I agree, Gary can be prickly, but he’s copped a fair whack of abuse over the years and it might be he’s sick to death of being ‘ganged up on’ by a bunch of internet bullies, some of whom have openly admitted they like stirring the pot to get a rise out of people.
Yeah Oz... and ain't it funny how they're the first to whine when it comes back on them?

But, hey... Mike's right. I shouldn't have poked anybody in the OP. The validity of Blown Assists as a stat should speak for itself. For those who don't get it --- or don't want to --- I laid out an air-tight explanation in response to one of them above. Funny too, how that's being conveniently ignored, ain't it?... :D

It has nothing to do with being right or wrong. It's not a real stat, end of story. There are those here who would like a clear definition of what the stat even means since it's so nebulous and used in almost every paragraph of his game breakdowns. I like his recaps, fwiw, although I think he gives himself way to much credit for pointing out the obvious while also alienating people at the same time.
I think you and others "poke the bear" at every opportunity, enjoying the atmosphere it creates. I believe most of us would prefer an open exchange of opinions without all the petty bickering. Just agree to disagree without all the personal stuff.

Don't like the concept of "blown assists'? Just say it's too subjective or that you just don't see it and move on. Simply agree to disagree or else ignore those posters you deem to have no credibility. It's not rocket science. But some of you delight in antagonizing Gary, knowing he can't resist striking back. To me, that's even worse.

Guys, what we are doing on here is not right, this board is meant to bring us Heels fans together in a way that is filled with some debate and disagreement, but like Archer said it really should be done without basically dissing someone’s post and their opinion, just respectfully disagree. Gary’s posts really break down a lot of great stuff and a lot of us enjoy it, if you don’t thats fine too, it’s what makes everyone who they are, we all differ in opinions, yet we all connect on one and that is our love for Carolina basketball.
We have a great way to connect with each other on here and I really enjoy being able to hear all different opinions, so I say let’s use one of Roy’s timeouts that he left for us over the years and take a quick seat on the bench to think things over and get back on track and start discussing our Heels.

Have a Happy New Year all, hope you enjoy the time with your friends and family while also knowing that your Heels rocked the world in 2017 and have a beautiful new banner hanging in the Smith Center to show for it!!

Guys, what we are doing on here is not right, this board is meant to bring us Heels fans together in a way that is filled with some debate and disagreement, but like Archer said it really should be done without basically dissing someone’s post and their opinion, just respectfully disagree. Gary’s posts really break down a lot of great stuff and a lot of us enjoy it, if you don’t thats fine too, it’s what makes everyone who they are, we all differ in opinions, yet we all connect on one and that is our love for Carolina basketball.
We have a great way to connect with each other on here and I really enjoy being able to hear all different opinions, so I say let’s use one of Roy’s timeouts that he left for us over the years and take a quick seat on the bench to think things over and get back on track and start discussing our Heels.

Have a Happy New Year all, hope you enjoy the time with your friends and family while also knowing that your Heels rocked the world in 2017 and have a beautiful new banner hanging in the Smith Center to show for it!!
Couldn't agree more. Happy New Year to all Carolina fans!

I just do not know how Gary uses "Blown Assist".

For example is a wide open pass to Theo Pinson who is shooting like 13% on the year for a 3 a blown assist?

What about a pass to Kenny Williams coming off a screen who is blocked by the defender?

No shots are really sure things besides dunks and point blank uncontested layups which is why I do not know how you can count blown assists on most things.

Is a pass to a 3 point heave before halftime a blown assist?

Can you describe what a blown assist entails to you, Gary?

As of now, I feel the numbers are just picked out of the sky and have no idea how you pick it. Like, I am assuming an play where a player takes less than 2 or 3 dribbles after a pass and misses a shot. But, those are not really plays worthy of being tallied in most cases to me.

For example is a wide open pass to Theo Pinson who is shooting like 13% on the year for a 3 a blown assist?

What about a pass to Kenny Williams coming off a screen who is blocked by the defender?

No shots are really sure things besides dunks and point blank uncontested layups which is why I do not know how you can count blown assists on most things.

As of now, I feel the numbers are just picked out of the sky and have no idea how you pick it. Like, I am assuming an play where a player takes less than 2 or 3 dribbles after a pass and misses a shot. But, those are not really plays worthy of being tallied in most cases to me.
Uhhhh, he explained it about 20 posts up.

anyway, happy new year

It's actually just a reverse of an Assist, in that someone gets fed with a legit pass that, had the recipient converted, would've gone down in any stat sheet as a dime. Obviously a shot has to be attempted or the ball lost on the way up for the shot. In other words, the criteria for the miss being "Blown" is the same as the criteria for a successful finish being an "Assist".

To answer a specific question, no, a pass for a desperation heave isn't counted.

Nor do I include "Coach's Assists" (where a guy gets fouled on the miss) --- I actually count those separately in another column (and occasionally mention them in the posts separately).

As I said in another response above, the key to this being meaningful is that the shots that qualify for Assists in general are relatively-high-to-very-high-percentage looks. Thus, if we're having too many of those blown that means we are not being efficient with the high % shots our offense works so hard to get. We certainly shouldn't be blowing more than we cash in, as happened Saturday.

One other thing, the shooter's personal shooting prowess has nothing to do with a pass being an Assist or Blown. If Theo knocks down an open look on a pass from Luke, Luke gets a dime. If Theo misses, he doesn't. The dime is blown. Whether the shooter is Theo or Cam or JB, an Assist is an Assist, and thus, blown if missed.

Last edited:
So your blown assists could potentially be very low percentage shots. Based on your Theo example. It doesn't matter the percentage of the shot taken, it just matters if they shot it and missed in what would be considered an assist timing.

Hi Gary, as I have mention before and will again, that PRAYER is required/needed and dealing with us HUMAN BEINGS...plus a big...SMILE.

!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GO GARY !!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: MWHeels

Kinda my view to this as well, I do think a blown assist stat is more subjective but not without a degree of merit. WE all see our guys, every year it seems miss a bunch of bunnies, Meeks specialized in that but then got his own rebound! Most have screamed how darn many bunnies are we gonna miss, well this blown assist deal is a stab at measuring just that. I can maybe not agree with the total numbers of those but yeah it is interesting to see someone's take on how many points we may have left off the score board because we couldn't finish what you would assume should be finished.

Thing with gary is, at very least he puts his thoughts out there and he puts them out there in as much depth as he can. I would challenge those so opposed to what he says to do the same, not just scream how wrong he is but lay your own thoughts out there clearly in depth and lets see who agrees and disagrees with you? I try never to tell someone they are wrong or even IMO wrong without offering very clearly what I see they are wrong about as well as my opposing view in as clear terms as I can, exactly why my posts get long at times, because I try to be clear, no other reason.

So what if gary or anyone else wants to be seen as an expert, why does that matter to you individually? Those most vocal against the guy strike me as having to be always right and having to have the last word themselves and yet can not tolerate it in gary? News for ya guys, you are the very thing you proclaim to dislike, fix yourself before you worry about fixing someone else. Just IMHO

So your blown assists could potentially be very low percentage shots. Based on your Theo example. It doesn't matter the percentage of the shot taken, it just matters if they shot it and missed in what would be considered an assist timing.

That is where the subjectivity come in, example, pass goes in to Luke in the post and Luke misses it, saw that several times last 2 games. Now did Luke miss a bunny or was his shot altered and he missed it under duress? Specific example vs wake, pass goes in to Luke in the post, Luke draws the double and puts a tuff shot up over the rim. Brooks defender left to double Luke and Brooks goes directly to the rim and flushes Luke's miss. Now you could call that a blown assist because Luke missed a shot in the post under conditions we have seen him make and yet getting it up on the rim was the smart play because it was either going in or Brooks was in perfect position to flush the miss. Tagging that a blown assist is not accurate to me because what happened is what you would want to see happen. IT was smart rather than a play blown, IMO.

Its legit HERE. Dont like it? Leave it alone.

Gary is very biased when it comes to J B. So what? Ive been that way over many of our past players. But then, im a TAR HEEL!

Hi Mike, you are a GOOD person & UNC TAR HEEL FAN!

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
Thanks so much for all the hard work G-7! I appreciate your breakdown and this time I think you were too nice to the refs! The youngish, black haired ref is the worst I have ever seen. He seemed to guess more times than not, but at least his blown calls effected both teams!

I have one question, however:
Why do you all even respond? Adults don't argue just for the sake of argument therefore, the above posters must be:

Children,
Trolls,
Immature,
or
Complete arse-hats!

I simply don't respond directly to them until they say something relevant to the OP. Their obvious intention is to derail all threads and disrupt the community.

I was at the game and it was stressful the entire time! I couldn't believe how many assists we blew. From Bigs fumbling easy passes to TP simply throwing the rock to nobody our team was definitely rusty! The best part was a feeling inside that we would pull it out the entire time. You could see the determination on the faces of our Furious 5 and nobody seemed to panic for even one second. The heart and poise we displayed on a day we had our C+ game at best will serve us well going forward!

Can't start much better than 1-0!

Love you Shun. May 2018 be a great year for you and yours.
Hi Archer2..SMILE...I wish the same for you my BROTHER & the ones you LOVE.

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT