ADVERTISEMENT

Talk about chicken sammiches...

TarHeelMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2006
Southern Part of Heaven
So I finally tried this Popeye's chicken sammich that everyone says is better than Chic-Fil-A, and while I thought it was good, I'm not sure I will call it better. I'd call them basically equal and just depending on what mood I'm in as to which one I'd get. And by what mood, I mean if I feel like being served by someone who is "pleasured" to serve me (CFA); or if I feel like dealing with a fast-food joint that's slightly dumpy (Popeye's).

Regular
1a: Chic-Fil-A
1b: Popeye's
3rd: Wendys

Spicy
1st: Chic-Fil-A
2nd: Wendys
3rd: Popeye's
HM: Bojangles

For the spicy version, Popeye's is the same sammich except with a healthy slathering of some kind of spicy mayo. I thought it was pretty good, but CFA and Wendys are better as they actually have the spices in the breading. Plus with all that mayo on the Popeye's sammich, it caused the bun to get soggy and start falling apart on me. Not cool.

Reactions: Heelicious
My last two cfa’s have sucked. Breasts very thin chewy and over cooked. And got inedible stone cold fries as well last time. Very unusual for them.

Never tried popeyes. Wendys is way underrated.

It's good, but some people are trying to act like its WAY better than CFA, and I don't agree with that. Like you said, it's hard to beat CFA.
Most of the reviews I've read that say Popeyes is better have at least one paragraph about the owner's LGBT opinions. Personally I don't think that should factor into how you judge which product taste better, but everything is political in today's world.

I've never had Popeye's but I think CFA's spicy chicken sandwiches with CFA sauce is the best fast food.

And they actually have top notch customer service in the sit down restaurants. Fast and friendly cashiers, and they walk around and refill your drinks for you at the table, etc.... and if thee is ever one hint of an issue they tend to give you something for free to accommodate. And they give away lots of free food for promos or for specific celebration days throughout the year.

And all summer and fall, locally you could get a free chick fil a regular sandwich if your bring in your ballpark ticket the day after the MLB team hit a double in a home game. Which is almost every home game we attended, really. I know you end up buying more food or upgrading once you're in the store but that is a pretty good giveaway. More frequent than getting biscuits for over 100 points for the Heels.

Most of the reviews I've read that say Popeyes is better have at least one paragraph about the owner's LGBT opinions. Personally I don't think that should factor into how you judge which product taste better, but everything is political in today's world.
I wasn't aware of that. But totally agree that it's about the sammich, and not where the company stands on political or social issues.

However, like I mentioned, the overall experience at CFA is almost always better than any other fast food joint. And that does factor into where I feel like eating my chicken sammich.

I wasn't aware of that. But totally agree that it's about the sammich, and not where the company stands on political or social issues.

However, like I mentioned, the overall experience at CFA is almost always better than any other fast food joint. And that does factor into where I feel like eating my chicken sammich.
No doubt their customer service is top notch. Better than most restaurants I've been to, not just the fast food ones. And as @Heelicious said, if you have an issue they are quick to give you something for free to make up for it.

I've never had Popeye's but I think CFA's spicy chicken sandwiches with CFA sauce is the best fast food.

And they actually have top notch customer service in the sit down restaurants. Fast and friendly cashiers, and they walk around and refill your drinks for you at the table, etc.... and if thee is ever one hint of an issue they tend to give you something for free to accommodate. And they give away lots of free food for promos or for specific celebration days throughout the year.

And all summer and fall, locally you could get a free chick fil a regular sandwich if your bring in your ballpark ticket the day after the MLB team hit a double in a home game. Which is almost every home game we attended, really. I know you end up buying more food or upgrading once you're in the store but that is a pretty good giveaway. More frequent than getting biscuits for over 100 points for the Heels.
Best customer service you'll ever get in a fast food restaurant. And the food is very good to boot.

Reactions: Old_School59
Haven't eaten fast food in years but man I lived off of those Chic-Fil-A sandies in college.

My Bigma would normally kill a chicken on Thursday evening if she were going to cook it on Sunday. She'd clean then let the parts sit in a bowl in the fridge til Sunday morning so the meat would relax. She would keep the skin on it as much as she could. She would have a foot-tub full of flour and an old mesh colander that she would shake the chicken around and around then drop them in the hot grease. OMG...the smell was indescribable. Bigma knew how to season chicken specifically for cooking in the kettle. I don't know what she used but I've never been able to duplicate the taste.

There is absolutely no store bought chicken that can compare to eating chicken that's deep fried in a black kettle in the yard.

I would get so excited when I found out were going to her house Sunday...especially if there were others coming cause I knew she'd cook a bunch of chicken and I was the only person, other than my aunt, that likes dark meat so I knew there would be plenty of chicken for me. I sure miss those days in Lumber Bridge, NC.

I just love driving in my car and suddenly coming to a screeching halt because the drive-through lane at Chick-fil-A extends out into the street for two and a half blocks. There's no chicken on the damn planet worth all that.

I just love driving in my car and suddenly coming to a screeching halt because the drive-through lane at Chick-fil-A extends out into the street for two and a half blocks. There's no chicken on the damn planet worth all that.
And this just goes to prove you put out a superior product, combined with the best customer service in the industry and you get long lines. Which by the way you get through much faster than a 2 car line at McDonalds.

And this just goes to prove you put out a superior product, combined with the best customer service in the industry and you get long lines. Which by the way you get through much faster than a 2 car line at McDonalds.
Since they're making so much money they should build bigger parking lots with longer drive-thru lanes.

regarding the CFA lines: i havent waited in line since they created their app. you can order ahead of time and then either walk inside and pick it up OR park and they'll bring it out to you. typical CFA, their timing is always good - the food is ready when you arrive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT