ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels -vs- Bruins Game Thread (Game 1)

Body language says its over! Great season though ACC CHAMPS, ACC TOURNAMENT CHAMPS, REGIONAL CHAMPS, SUPER REGIONAL CHAMPS, and FINAL 4 in CWS.. Tough to come back from opening game loss

I'm not blaming anything on these kids. If anything, this loss, IF we lose, has more to do with the way Mike Fox used his pitchers since the ACC tournament than anything else. I expect the kids to want to be out there and I am sure if you told Hobbs Johnson to suit up he would be out there in a second, so I can't blame Kent for doing what the coaches asked him to do. Emmanuel pitched well enough to win tonight, but got no help from the bats. We are the best hitting team in Omaha and can't get it done tonight.

You can point to a lot of things we have done wrong or not done with this game, but you can't overlook the fact that UCLA has done exactly what they needed to do in order to win every game here this week. It ain't pretty, but it is exactly how almost every Little League, Middle School and High School coach teaches their kids to play. You do the little things to win because you never know how those little choppers, rollers and tough at-bats will pay off.

We leave one on in the 8th and fail to score again. We have one more shot or it's over.

This post was edited on 6/21 11:11 PM by Littlejon

When we have gotten guys on base we have done nothing to get them moving, no hit and runs, steals or anything.... Frustrating.

Just not our night. Really going to take something special. Got to hold them and do whatever it takes. Stranger things have happened!

If this is the end of the season, I'm okay with that. At least we didn't lose to the Peckers or Yard Chickens. It's a little disappointing to make another CWS appearance without finally winning a NC, but I've always been the kind of fan that enjoys the journey more than the destination. There are rare exceptions, like the 2009 basketball team, but that season was actually miserable for me because I expected us to win every game. It's a crappy way to watch college sports. Fortunately we got it done.

I've been on this board for almost every game this season. Sometimes it was just me and DF talking to each other (he has probably gone to bed) but it was a lot of fun.

Munnelly pitching for UNC now. Retires the first two batters.

Benton Moss coming in.

Moss opens with 2 balls before throwing back to back 93 mph heaters.

Next pitch misses low to load the count. 2 outs, nobody on.

Struck him out!

Well, this is it fellas. Skye Bolt will lead things off. Would be nice to avoid the shutout.

Excellent post RH and I couldn't agree more. I am not happy with the way this game has gone, nor do simply relish sending the peckers home, but I do love baseball and I do love college baseball probably better than anything else. This has been a great season by any measure and as disappointing as it is to come to Omaha and go home without the hardware again (assuming we lose, which we look to be about to do!), I sure did love watching this team play ball.

Stubbs lays off a couple low pitches. Watching him pitch against NC State, there were plenty of Wolpfackers who chased stuff low. Have to hold off.

Stubbs drives one into right field for a base hit. Runner on with no outs.

Originally posted by Littlejon:
Excellent post RH and I couldn't agree more. I am not happy with the way this game has gone, nor do simply relish sending the peckers home, but I do love baseball and I do love college baseball probably better than anything else. This has been a great season by any measure and as disappointing as it is to come to Omaha and go home without the hardware again (assuming we lose, which we look to be about to do!), I sure did love watching this team play ball.
Agree, +1

Pitch in the dirt that the catcher knocks down, but it rolls away. Would have been nice to advance the runner there.

Bolt fights off a pitch to stay at 2-2 here. He answers with a well-hit ball right back past the pitcher.

2 runners on, no outs.

Excellent post RH and I couldn't agree more. I am not happy with the way this game has gone, nor do simply relish sending the peckers home
But you have to admit, it felt pretty dern good.
wink.r191677.gif

Well, we might be seeing some FAU deja vu here.

Berg gives up hits to the first two batters and then walks Russell to load the bases with no outs.

Bruins have some action in the bullpen.

Zoom at the plate.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Excellent post RH and I couldn't agree more. I am not happy with the way this game has gone, nor do simply relish sending the peckers home
But you have to admit, it felt pretty dern good.
wink.r191677.gif
Yes, YES it DID feel dang good!

Rally going here in the 9th!

No outs, bases loaded and their best pitcher can't find the strike zone. What we need now is a rip to the corner for a double or triple.

OK, we DON'T get a call because they say our guy was off the bag at second last night and this guy is further off than we were and gets the call.

Need a hit here now.

Parks Jordan at the plate watches two strikes, the second of which looked a little low.

Got him to chase the low pitch, which is what Berg does so well. And with that, the Heels have 1 out left in their season.

Chaz Frank to bat.

The senior watches strike 1.

Ball and a foul tip bring the count to 1-2.

Ball low even the count 2-2.

C'mon Chaz. Stick with him.

Another low pitch and we have a full count. Tension!

Chaz fouls it away to stay alive.

Another payoff pitch.

Walked him!

Bases loaded, 2 outs, bases loaded, tying run at 1st.

Landon Lassiter up here.

This post was edited on 6/21 11:41 PM by Raising Heel

Watches strike 1. Next pitch is low.

Lassiter takes a big swing at one over the heart of the plate and it's 1-2.

Line drive to center field and that's the ball game.

I love that we made Berg work for it, but too little too late.

Great, great season Heels. And thank you seniors!!!

Great season but I'm too disappointed right now to post anything positive that would be worthwhile to read. Best of luck to the seniors and departing pro draftees.

Well, that is it, boys. Great season and dang if we didn't make it interesting right up to the very end. Wish we had hit it like that earlier in the game and maybe it might have been a little different, but you have to tip your hat to UCLA.

I hate going home again. I hate getting beat like we did. I hate that Epic Fail U beat us in the first game to put us in this situation. It is SO important to stay out of the loser's bracket, but we still fought hard and battled to the end.

This has been one of the most fun teams to watch that I can remember. As much as this loss hurts, I take comfort in knowing that we will be right back in the hunt again next season. We have a great class coming in and some key guys coming back, so we should have a good shot at being right back in Omaha once again.

Congratulations Tar Heels and thank you for a fantastic season!

Congratulations to UCLA. Good team all season that is peaking at the right time. Undefeated in the NCAA tourney and now they have one less game and more time to rest their pitchers.

I'd wish them good luck on their free board but that place is a ghost town.
wink.r191677.gif

Good night, my fellow Tar Heels. I can't remember a more exciting post season so I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Tip of the cap to UCLA. I was angry watching them push runners across with clutch hits. But they did what they had to do tonight. And it seems like that's been the case for them.

But I really wanted to congratulate our Heels for a tremendous season! It's always frustrating getting this close and having to watch someone else celebrate. But this season was awesome and full of great memories that we'll all remember.

Also, thanks to RH, DF, and all the others that post. It's nice to come get updates, or just to see if my fellow fans are having the same reactions as me, like after those blows calls!! lol.

But one of the things that always sticks out to me is, watching that woman get trampled and watching GIO housing the pack countless times.
Thanks RH!

Go Heels!

Originally posted by NoLaHeel:

But one of the things that always sticks out to me is, watching that woman get trampled and watching GIO housing the pack countless times.
Thanks RH!
NoLa, you made my night.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Gotta love the board that doesn't hide people's signatures!

Did you know that neither the woman nor the long jumper were injured? You can actually click on the video to read the back story. When I first added it to my sig, so many people asked that I decided to link it.

Great season but I'm too disappointed right now to post anything positive that would be worthwhile to read. Best of luck to the seniors and departing pro draftees.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
If this is the end of the season, I'm okay with that. At least we didn't lose to the Peckers or Yard Chickens. It's a little disappointing to make another CWS appearance without finally winning a NC, but I've always been the kind of fan that enjoys the journey more than the destination. There are rare exceptions, like the 2009 basketball team, but that season was actually miserable for me because I expected us to win every game. It's a crappy way to watch college sports. Fortunately we got it done.

I've been on this board for almost every game this season. Sometimes it was just me and DF talking to each other (he has probably gone to bed) but it was a lot of fun.
Well put. I have really enjoyed this team and this season and the post season, up till this game, has been a blast. The team represented UNC well and I wish all the guys who just played their last game success in whatever endeavor they choose.

I am interested to see how I feel come September and January, but I really do think I might have the baseball team over the revenue sports in order of my preferences. Guys play hard every night and there are no sidebar issues to worry about.

Another CWS disappointment...BUT gonna pat my Heels on the back and wish them good luck next season. This Skye Bolt really impresses me, he is cocky and has some game .I wish the 2013-14 Heels nothing but the best

Phantom force out at second when he was two feet off the bag was HUGE! What a screw job. Should have been everybody safe, a run in, and the bases still loaded with none out. And right after getting the same call right to our disadvantage in the State game. CLOSE DOES NOT COUNT IN BASEBALL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT