ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels vs. Canes game thread

When you see how VT lost today, it really makes me wonder WTH happened. But, it's done and I'm glad we won today.

I won't be naming any future child or pet- Matthew.

Yeah it's not a great time to be a tar heel fan named named Matt :(

Running the spread offense in a monsoon is damn near impossible. Seriously for anybody who has never tried it, go run some water over a football and then try to throw/catch it. I could throw the ball 60 yards in the air in high school, but in heavy rain I could barely throw it 20.

Great news is we really seized control of the coastal today. We by far have the easiest remaining schedule of any team in contention. The closest would probably be Miami who we have the head to head advantage over and who already has two losses.

Its ours to lose at this point

And, I know many might disagree, but I think Mark Richt is way, WAY overrated as a coach.
Are you under the impression that he inherited a well running machine? He inherited a program under-performing for a solid decade. Nobody turns that around in less than a year.

It's the same basic reason that VT beat us and then lost to Syracuse. Fuente can't get it all done in less than a year.

Are you under the impression that he inherited a well running machine? He inherited a program under-performing for a solid decade. Nobody turns that around in less than a year.

It's the same basic reason that VT beat us and then lost to Syracuse. Fuente can't get it all done in less than a year.
I mean, I was never impressed with him when he was at UGA. Neither was UGA, that's why he was finally let-go.

I'm aware that Miami is not the powerhouse they were 20 years ago. Mark Richt doesn't impress me and I don't think Miami will even be as good as his UGA teams. I've always thought he was overrated. He's not terrible, but he's not going to bring Miami back to it's "old glory" either.

I love that we beat a decent team on the road. Kudos for that to the team and coaching staff. However, I am baffled by the play calling. Totally baffled by wth we were doing with four downs inside the two. And, we must be one of the worst first down teams in the country. Thank goodness, we have come through on third or fourth down like we have. I'm sorry, baffling!

I wanna make it one more next week in Charlottesville.

Me too! I remember all too well how long it took to get that monkey off our back up there. I don't want to EVER go back to losing there like we used to. We need to pound UVa into the turf and keep on rolling the rest of the way. We may have the easiest slate on paper, but I don't think it will be that easy to win out given who we are playing.

Frankly, I can't figure out what to make of the dook/UL game nor the Moo/Clemson game. There is NO WAY dook and moo should have even been close to either of those teams for most of their games, much less at the end. And moo came within a gnat's rear-end of beating Clemson today, which is laughable at best. Either Clemson and UL were looking WAY past them or they really aren't as good as they have looked at times this year.

With that said, I don't think we are going to roll over dook and moo like we should. I think they will be tougher than a lot of people think. Plus, we have to play GT and UVa and those two teams has historically given us problems. UVa more so in their house, which is where we play, and GT in general.

Still, we are in complete control of our destiny from here on out. If the defense can keep playing good enough like they have and the offense can get back to where it was before the VT game, then we should be fine.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I love that we beat a decent team on the road. Kudos for that to the team and coaching staff. However, I am baffled by the play calling. Totally baffled by wth we were doing with four downs inside the two. And, we must be one of the worst first down teams in the country. Thank goodness, we have come through on third or fourth down like we have. I'm sorry, baffling!

This.

Our play calling is head scratching to say the least. Compound that with stupid penalties and it makes you want to scream.

Very nice win although I was ticked and thought we were doomed after the failure to get it in the end zone from the 2 yd line..Also just baffling WHY we GAVE them extra time at the ends by Logan going OOB and then Mitch grounding the ball Well the good guys won it anyway with a huge defensive play by Carney.

On to C Ville for another big road game

GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Archer2
We still need VT to lose again.
I think they will lose at least one more game, probably 2. Aside from Miami, Pitt, dook and ND could all give them fits. And don't overlook GT. I know Bud Foster is a defensive genius, but GT might be tougher for them than expected. Plus UVa always seems to play them well when you least expect them to.

Unlike some others, I think Miami is better than we saw today. I think they will beat VT and I am not sure it will be that close if they do. Then again, Miami could lay an egg up there, too. If they don't beat VT then it becomes more interesting for us as we wait to see if VT loses again.

Still, I think they will lose at least one more.

Reactions: UNC71-00
This game delivered in some areas that most of us have wanted to see...

Offensive balance: 46 passes, 43 rushes
TOP: UNC 33 - Miami 27 minutes
D: held da U to 4-15 on 3rd down
And Kaaya's QBR was 27.5
Plus no turnovers!

Despite a butt-load of penalties on false starts, we didn't let our mistakes bury us like we did last week.

I'm thrilled with a solid road win over a ranked team, especially after last week's debacle.

GO HEELS!

bartended at oktoberfest this weekend, still tomorrow if any columbia peeps wanna come tell me they love me.

anyway, just watched the game on dvr...that switzer catch might be the best of the year, we'll see...d-line looked way prepared, at least for the canes that don't do a lot of tricks.

larry looked way more patient and more willing to let mitch swim or drown...hood is figured out, imo, either by formation or him being cognizant of being a pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
True, but they have the toughest schedule left IMO with Miami, Pitt and GT being notable potential losses. Miami could do us a huge favor by beating them next week
What's the likelihood of Miami losing 3 games in a row?

Redzone nonscores were bothersome but 400+ yards with our beat-up ol was impressive to me. Heck and Peterson out, hatton switched to lg (guess they like him better than polio)... But the game plan produced.

Dalton was disruptive, Crawford obviously isn't too hurt.... I'm feeling good about our gm vs the hood!

And as some constantly remind us it is so much easier to find fault, even after a win then it is to say good game players and coaches for a win over a team that was averaging 41 points a game and had the contest at home.

Some hand wringing is definitely justified. Heck may well have a concussion and our OL has already taken several hits(pun intended) personnel wise , our best deep threat has a broken collar bone and we have one of our better LB's out for the first half of next game. I surely enjoyed the win especially with a VT fan present where I was watching but hopefully we can get by UVa and get to the bye.

And as some constantly remind us it is so much easier to find fault, even after a win then it is to say good game players and coaches for a win over a team that was averaging 41 points a game and had the contest at home.

No, you're right. The Heels played perfectly. Not a single thing they could have done better. Bring on the Patriots, UNC would roll them. Tell Fedora he can take the rest of the season off, no need for a coach when the team has nothing to correct.

I mean, I was never impressed with him when he was at UGA. Neither was UGA, that's why he was finally let-go.

I'm aware that Miami is not the powerhouse they were 20 years ago. Mark Richt doesn't impress me and I don't think Miami will even be as good as his UGA teams. I've always thought he was overrated. He's not terrible, but he's not going to bring Miami back to it's "old glory" either.

^ This, exactly how I feel. He had MORE talent at UGa than he has at Miami now, and he always managed to lose a couple of games he shouldn't there, no reason to expect that to stop now that he is at Miami.

Now, he IS an upgrade over Golden, but he isn't going to bring back the Butch Davis Miami era teams, or JJ era teams.

Reactions: strummingram
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT