ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels vs. Canes game thread

No, you're right. The Heels played perfectly. Not a single thing they could have done better. Bring on the Patriots, UNC would roll them. Tell Fedora he can take the rest of the season off, no need for a coach when the team has nothing to correct.
Someone needs to tell Andrew and the THI staff that they are horrible fans. They always write a "concerns" article after every game win or lose. Obviously they are closet duke fans.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Win, lose, or draw, fans are going to critique the staff and the team's performance. It doesn't just happen on the basketball board, it happens here as well. And the better the team does, the greater the expectations from fans become.

I think we're all glad to have Fed and staff onboard. He, like Roy, took the reins when the program was in need of a fresh start and has done a great job of weathering a vicious five year storm due to the NCAA investigation. He led us to 11 wins last year and we've now won 8 straight road wins, including 2 against top 25 teams this year.

TBS, some of his decisions are mind boggling and they do open him up to some criticism. The same can be said of Roy at times and he is routinely criticized. But we're all Heels fans and we all want nothing but the best for UNC.

Win, lose, or draw, fans are going to critique the staff and the team's performance. It doesn't just happen on the basketball board, it happens here as well. And the better the team does, the greater the expectations from fans become.

I think we're all glad to have Fed and staff onboard. He, like Roy, took the reins when the program was in need of a fresh start and has done a great job of weathering a vicious five year storm due to the NCAA investigation. He led us to 11 wins last year and we've now won 8 straight road wins, including 2 against top 25 teams this year.

TBS, some of his decisions are mind boggling and they do open him up to some criticism. The same can be said of Roy at times and he is routinely criticized. But we're all Heels fans and we all want nothing but the best for UNC.
I think maybe some of the need for critique, even after wins, is due to each individual's expectation of the UNC football program in general.

As fans, we have experienced the pinnacle of greatness in basketball, so we're accustomed to it. If we're old enought o have been around when Mack Brown got us intot he top 5, and back when Dick Crum and Bill Dooley made UNC conference contenders every year, then you know how that feels, too.

Then, you factor in how you see the dominant NCAA football schools fare year-in and year-out. If you want, or expect, UNC to be on that level, where we're playing Ohio State or Alabama in the national championship... you may have your sights set too high for the coaching staff we have now. They will deliver thrilling wins in the ACC and hopefully in some bigger bowl games. But, they aren't going to be perennial national championship contenders like Clemson. I don't see how they can be with the offense going at the pace it does and expecting to field a defense like Bama's or even Clemson.

But, I could be proven wrong and be pleasantly surprised. So, I'm good either way. I'm happy with a yearly Peach Bowl invitation.

I'm divided about the hurry up offense. I'ts exciting and puts pressure on opposing defenses. OTOH, it puts additional pressure on our defense by putting them back on the field very quickly at times. It's a double edged sword that cuts both ways.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I'm divided about the hurry up offense. I'ts exciting and puts pressure on opposing defenses. OTOH, it puts additional pressure on our defense by putting them back on the field very quickly at times. It's a double edged sword that cuts both ways.
With more depth on D, the pressure on the D because of hurry up offense will lessen.

Reactions: tarheel0910
With more depth on D, the pressure on the D because of hurry up offense will lessen.

^ This, and the better the D gets, the more they will give opportunities to the O, or score themselves, which takes even more pressure off of them.

And this is where we fans need patience. It takes multiple seasons of good recruiting to build up to that level. We are moving in the right direction, but it's not gonna happen overnight.
Dunlap playing, and playing surprisingly well, at Miami is an example of that depth. He may be the spark we need at DT to make our depth there just right. Add experience to that crew, and it could be a very tough unit.

Just getting around to reading some of this thread, but my question to those of you questioning the play calling:

What exactly are your complaints? What plays should we have run instead, and in what situations? I didn't get a chance to watch the first half on tv and haven't watched the DVR yet so maybe I missed something. I was right here with everyone else bemoaning the play calling against UGA so I'm certainly not above criticizing the coaches when it's deserved but I don't recall any "baffling" play calling in this one. What I saw:

- Run/Pass Balance (I believe 46 passes and 43 rushes; that's 89 total plays)
- 463 total yards against a defense that was giving up a lot less than that on average coming in
- 32:00 minutes TOP. Isn't that what everyone on here constantly bitches about? How this offense will never work because it wears the defense out and doesn't stay on the field long enough?

If we make a short field goal (instead of it being blocked) and punch it in from the 1 and score 30 points instead of 20, would the play calling still have been "baffling"? Is it the goal line play calls that were "baffling"? If you think we should have given it to Hood 4 times, let me ask you this: if we couldn't get 3 inches on a QB sneak what makes you so sure Hood would have scored? He got a carry from inside the one and was stuffed. And were there other "baffling" play calls during the game or was it just that sequence?

I'm not calling out anyone's fan hood, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I know we all want to see UNC holding that crystal football one day. Just trying to figure out what some of you saw that I didn't. My hypothesis is that those of you who aren't fans of the play calling really just aren't fans of this offense or philosophy in general. But maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
whenever we don't score on first and goal there is going to be complaining about the play calling.

But I guess my question is why? Sometimes the players just get beat by the other teams players. It's not like we lined up 4 wide in shotgun and threw four fades to switzer.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Just getting around to reading some of this thread, but my question to those of you questioning the play calling:

What exactly are your complaints? What plays should we have run instead, and in what situations? I didn't get a chance to watch the first half on tv and haven't watched the DVR yet so maybe I missed something. I was right here with everyone else bemoaning the play calling against UGA so I'm certainly not above criticizing the coaches when it's deserved but I don't recall any "baffling" play calling in this one. What I saw:

- Run/Pass Balance (I believe 46 passes and 43 rushes; that's 89 total plays)
- 463 total yards against a defense that was giving up a lot less than that on average coming in
- 32:00 minutes TOP. Isn't that what everyone on here constantly bitches about? How this offense will never work because it wears the defense out and doesn't stay on the field long enough?

If we make a short field goal (instead of it being blocked) and punch it in from the 1 and score 30 points instead of 20, would the play calling still have been "baffling"? Is it the goal line play calls that were "baffling"? If you think we should have given it to Hood 4 times, let me ask you this: if we couldn't get 3 inches on a QB sneak what makes you so sure Hood would have scored? He got a carry from inside the one and was stuffed. And were there other "baffling" play calls during the game or was it just that sequence?

I'm not calling out anyone's fan hood, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I know we all want to see UNC holding that crystal football one day. Just trying to figure out what some of you saw that I didn't. My hypothesis is that those of you who aren't fans of the play calling really just aren't fans of this offense or philosophy in general. But maybe I'm wrong.
Not sure I should respond to this because I'm not into pissing contests on message boards but since I used the word "baffling", I guess it's me you are calling out. First, I prefaced my comments by giving credit to the players and coaches for pulling out a win on the road against a good Miami team that was ranked. I am thrilled that we won, on the road, against both them and FSU.

I am actually a big fan of Fedora and the job he has done in bringing us through difficult times and putting a winning product on the field. I like the spread personally and the excitement it brings on the offensive side of the ball. And there is the rub for me. We run a hurry up, spread offense, get the ball to the one yard line, first down, and what do we do? We huddle up for the first time all game, run up to the line (like that is going to fool somebody) and run a QB sneak twice, a failed pass to the tight end, and one run by Hood. Now, if we had scored, you are right, I wouldn't be bitching. However, we didn't. So, I think the play calling could have been a little more creative. Didn't Bug catch two TD passes against Pitt when we had the ball inside the five. I'm sorry, I would have liked to see us spread them out and then, maybe, run the ball against a defense that wasn't so stacked to stop the run. Just my two cents, but aren't message boards in existence to discuss things like this?

BTW, I've also questioned Roy's strategies and even Dean's (not on message boards) on occasion. If someone wants to question my credentials as a Carolina fan, have at it, but I don't think you'll win that argument either.

Once again, I am thrilled with the win but I reserve the right to question coaches' decisions, just like everyone else.

Not sure I should respond to this because I'm not into pissing contests on message boards but since I used the word "baffling", I guess it's me you are calling out. First, I prefaced my comments by giving credit to the players and coaches for pulling out a win on the road against a good Miami team that was ranked. I am thrilled that we won, on the road, against both them and FSU.

I am actually a big fan of Fedora and the job he has done in bringing us through difficult times and putting a winning product on the field. I like the spread personally and the excitement it brings on the offensive side of the ball. And there is the rub for me. We run a hurry up, spread offense, get the ball to the one yard line, first down, and what do we do? We huddle up for the first time all game, run up to the line (like that is going to fool somebody) and run a QB sneak twice, a failed pass to the tight end, and one run by Hood. Now, if we had scored, you are right, I wouldn't be bitching. However, we didn't. So, I think the play calling could have been a little more creative. Didn't Bug catch two TD passes against Pitt when we had the ball inside the five. I'm sorry, I would have liked to see us spread them out and then, maybe, run the ball against a defense that wasn't so stacked to stop the run. Just my two cents, but aren't message boards in existence to discuss things like this?

BTW, I've also questioned Roy's strategies and even Dean's (not on message boards) on occasion. If someone wants to question my credentials as a Carolina fan, have at it, but I don't think you'll win that argument either.

Once again, I am thrilled with the win but I reserve the right to question coaches' decisions, just like everyone else.

I wasnt calling out anyone in particular, just referencing a cluster of posts expressing the same sentiment. And like I said not questioning anyone's fan hood. Nothing wrong with thinking we could have or should have done something different in a given situation but I guess it hit a nerve a little bit after a huge win to see people taking shots at the coaching staff. I mean, how often do we go on the road and win must win games against ranked teams like FSU and Miami? Then some people's first thought is to turn around and say yeah well we won but the play calling sucked. Really? Again, not calling you out specifically or saying this directly to you but we have an extremely whiny and entitled fan base and it's very frustrating. I get in basketball and fall victim a little bit myself because of the heights we've reached. But football? It's like we have some fans that expect us to play like Alabama every week and Fedora to be Nick Saban, and then get all pissy when those lofty expectations are inevitably not met. It's just a weird dynamic that drives me up the wall. Fedora is arguably the second best coach in school history and we still have a ton of fans just waiting to pounce on every perceived misstep of his.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I can love UNC football, be proud of the win, back/support our coaching staff... and still wonder what in the hell we are doing with the play calling at times. I don't think there necessarily has to be two sides to it.

In the same regard: I can love my wife unconditionally... but also wish she would shut up while the game is on TV :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT