ADVERTISEMENT

The Grad Transfer Thread

My intent wasn't to defend any "one" poster, rather to keep us on topic and thinking about yesterdays great haul. Why bicker with other UNC fans about their personal opinions about who was the best???

You wont sway their view and they likely wont sway yours. Its all good... i dont know Gary, or anyone else. I enjoy reading comments in hopes of looking at things from different perspectives. All good ladies and gents... thanks

Would be great. Seems like it makes sense for him to commit in the next few days if he's going to come here. Does a guy really need to wait 10 days for an NC State visit if he's excited about UNC?

He mentioned in an interview wanting to enroll in a business school. UNC and UM have quite a bit better b-schools than ND, to go along with better basketball teams. If I was trying to build a resume for a post-basketball career I know who I'd play for...
Jordan Poole is staying in the draft I believe, so there is an open starting spot at Michigan for Pierce too. :(

It's not if you believe BRob and Leaky can both play the three. That means adding Keeling puts them both at that spot, meaning we'd have plenty of depth.

Here's a list of the primary 3s in the Final Four last year:

Kyle Guy: 6-2, 175
Jarrett Culver: 6-5, 195
Aaron Henry: 6-6, 210
Samir Doughty: 6-4, 195

Leaky is as big as any of those guys, and Brob would only really be giving up much size to Henry. We'd be fine at the three. Really would only ever see a mismatch with a big wing like Hurt or Barrett, but they're rare and we might also have an offensive advantage.

You (collective you) really want to pass up a great scorer who is a hard defender because of nitpicking about defensive positions? We have room to add Pierce in addition to Keeling, so there's no reason to pass on Keeling upfront.
I am in this camp as well. I want Pierce too if possible, but can't pass on Keeling if he wants to come.

My personal opinion is if Keeling commits first then Pierce will go elsewhere. Just my feeling on it.

I agree with this.

I think if Roy continues to pursue Pierce after Keeling commits it says more to Roy not feeling great about Leaky and BRob. I think Roy is high on both so we would only take one of the grad transfers at the wing.

I’d be curious if he turns his attention to a grad transfer big if keeling commits.

Blackshear would be sweeeeeet :cool:

Man, there are SEVERAL bigs I would LOVE to see us snag, Blackshear for sure, Jordan Brown, Smits, just off the top of my head. Yeah, not really an area of need but to me, especially now with Ant committed, 2 guard is not an area of need either.

I would LOVE to see a big man transfer for us because I am just not sold that Manley being first big man off the bench is what I feel we are going to need. Think about it, say Brooks or Bacot get in to foul trouble and we need to bring in a big off the bench for extended minutes, do you feel good about what you have seen in extended minutes with Manley or Huff (after 3mins so far both seem to be gassed).

I can almost assure you, as a freshman, Bacot is going to find foul trouble, Brooks has shown that he is going to pick up fouls and have to sit. So first big man off the bench is not only a near if not over 20mins a game role but you have to be solid for that extended time and neither Manley nor Huff have shown that to the extent that if we combined them both the 2 of them I would question if they could play 10mins at a high level. I think both could help us for 3 or 4min stretches at most and I am not sold that will noticeably improve next season over this past one (stamina).

I thought when the coach leaves, you can transfer out with no penalty?
To be honest the rule is not clear to me, and according to some there is a lot of vagueness and "grey" area. To play immediately there has to be a waiver approved and from what I've read only about half of the waivers submitted get approval. It's not an automatic rubber stamp if the coach leaves. I could be wrong. There's a lot of vaguely worded stuff out there on the Internet.

I think there was a rule change proposal that would relax the restriction in the cases of coaching change, but I'm not sure that proposal was adopted and in effect as yet.

Reactions: Sk1310
Justin Pierce. Granted, it’s a highlight video, but how can you not like this guy:

Does anyone else wonder at the number of division 1 basketball players who have graduated in 3 years from major academic universities? Guys who are spending hours in the gym each week and missing big chunks of class time during the season with travel etc. folks we have some brilliant athletes out there.

Does anyone else wonder at the number of division 1 basketball players who have graduated in 3 years from major academic universities? Guys who are spending hours in the gym each week and missing big chunks of class time during the season with travel etc. folks we have some brilliant athletes out there.

Honestly. If you're prepared for college it is not that hard. Especially if you throw in some summer work, and the fact that many are taking at least a few super easy classes.

You have to be more focused than non-athletes, but there is plenty of time.

Most of them stick around for both summer sessions and any of us that have taken summer classes in college can attest that they are much more student friendly if you know what I mean. These guys are getting an extra 12-18 credit hours each summer which allows them to easily graduate in 3 years.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Most of them stick around for both summer sessions and any of us that have taken summer classes in college can attest that they are much more student friendly if you know what I mean. These guys are getting an extra 12-18 credit hours each summer which allows them to easily graduate in 3 years.

They take one class over the summer just so they can be on campus and do workouts. Some will MAYBE take two but that's extremely rare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT