ADVERTISEMENT

The Grad Transfer Thread

It's amazing how folks will use per 40 adjustments or rationale that offensive and rebounds will improve but don't use that same logic, defensively. If Brooks plays more minutes, is it likely that he'll grab a few more boards, I think so. But it's also fair to say that if Brooks plays more minutes, he will get in foul trouble more given his struggles at times against good to great to elite bigs this year. He struggled mightily against some that we played. Just a thought.
I'm not supporting per 40 or that based on Brooks %'s last year, that he will improve in rebounding this year. Just clearing up CC's response. Based on his response to unchampions, he seemed to take it as if unchampions was saying Brooks was being historic, which wasn't so.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Agreed we don't know how much he'll improve. My point is there are only so many rebounds and we had a lot of good rebounders including a historically good one. Garrison in the top 2 is very promising.

I disagree. This years team had one good rebounder in Maye and several OK rebounders like Brooks. By your definition Hicks played with 2 historically great rebounders, 1 historically good rebounder and still had a similar rate as Brooks. The fact that Brooks was #2 ahead of Cam and Leaky is not that impressive.

Can someone give a rundown on what we’d get in all of the grad transfers, what sort of role would they play? I.e: Justin Pierce, Keeling, Tucker, etc. I’ve tried to get a scouting report from these threads, but it’s hard to sort through all the Mumbo jumbo about non-grad transfer things

Reactions: TheFamily22
Can someone give a rundown on what we’d get in all of the grad transfers, what sort of role would they play? I.e: Justin Pierce, Keeling, Tucker, etc. I’ve tried to get a scouting report from these threads, but it’s hard to sort through all the Mumbo jumbo about non-grad transfer things

...dude

Reactions: viking131
Pass.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Just look at this. If you see something unrelated to grad transfers, click on the down arrow on the right side of your screen. You can also use your finger to scroll down past any unrelated info as well.

https://northcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-grad-transfer-thread.69139/

I think Roy can use this grad transfer thing to his advantage. Experienced players who are really good that we have had success with in the past. Roy can point to Cam and use him to recruit others especially if Cam goes first round in the draft.

Reactions: DaSheed
Luke is a great defensive rebounder and a good offensive rebounder. Coby White is an excellent defensive rebounder and a fantastic off-the-ball defender. Luke is a wonderful basketball player and athlete. I suspect if he played Tight End for the football team next year, he would be a 3rd or 4th round pick.

So with Cole on board will the dominoes start to fall in place with a grad transfer or two? Did this have to happen for them to pull the trigger? I would hope they can land two and Harris as it sounds like precious ship has sailed.

Definitely Cole on board makes UNC more attractive for grad transfers, IMO. He is the kind of leader, play-maker, distributor, facilitator (however you want to favorably describe it) whose impact makes UNC immediately a much better team and makes the game a lot easier for teammates. Plus you have the fact that with Cole it instantly improves UNC's outlook for competing at a top-3 in the ACC level and going far into the NCAA tourney.

So with Cole on board will the dominoes start to fall in place with a grad transfer or two? Did this have to happen for them to pull the trigger? I would hope they can land two and Harris as it sounds like precious ship has sailed.
I wouldn't get carried away. We have more returning than many acknowledge. As for Precious, he has a decision to make, i.e., handler or no handler --- we shall see. As for grad transfers, grabbing just anybody doesn't really help. Tucker, I'm pretty sure, is Auburn or NBA. Keeling could be a nice add though.

Reactions: CURRY2WOODYR80
I wouldn't get carried away. We have more returning than many acknowledge. As for Precious, he has a decision to make, i.e., handler or no handler --- we shall see. As for grad transfers, grabbing just anybody doesn't really help. Tucker, I'm pretty sure, is Auburn or NBA. Keeling could be a nice add though.

What's the deal with Tucker? Seemed like he wanted to come here, and I don't buy the academic speculation because if he has a degree from another school, it makes it much easier to be admitted.

What's the deal with Tucker? Seemed like he wanted to come here, and I don't buy the academic speculation because if he has a degree from another school, it makes it much easier to be admitted.
What needs to be mentioned here was that Tucker was originally recruited to Little Rock by now-Auburn Asst Wes Flanigan, and they have a strong relationship. They're also selling him on stepping right in for Bryce Brown.

Last edited:
Don't buy the academics. But it's the truth.

Reactions: TheGLOV
He actually said at UNC period. Not just under Roy.
Which means you need to believe JB was better than all those guys under Roy.... plus Phil Ford who is acknowledged widely as a top 5 player ever at UNC, and Ed Cota, just off the top of my head.....
not to mention guys probably close to JB such as Phelps, King Rice, Jimmy Black, etc..... just from people I got to watch, from early 80's on.

Just wow

I'm well aware of that. Thus, my reaction of LMAO.

then you’ve missed a lot the last 14 years...and what a ride it’s been...felton is my favorite pg, maybe more so than cota and phelps(might be before your time)...won’t bore you with the details, but true dawgs, generals, if you will...also enjoyed felton’s career up close when he was in high school...i can see the allure of lawson and marshall, though...white was an amazing gift as it turned out, right?...couldn’t have asked for more for one season.

and i won’t go there with black and ford.

youtube and team stat pages are your friend if you need a refresher...congrats on auburn making the f4...hope pearl stays away from “bbq’s” and such...i know he loves the gray area.

Reactions: heelfan1961
then you’ve missed a lot the last 14 years...and what a ride it’s been...felton is my favorite pg, maybe more so than cota and phelps(might be before your time)...won’t bore you with the details, but true dawgs, generals, if you will...also enjoyed felton’s career up close when he was in high school...i can see the allure of lawson and marshall, though...white was an amazing gift as it turned out, right?...couldn’t have asked for more for one season.

and i won’t go there with black and ford.

youtube and team stat pages are your friend if you need a refresher...congrats on auburn making the f4...hope pearl stays away from “bbq’s” and such...i know he loves the gray area.
Um that's nice and all but I don't need refreshers, as I miss almost nothing. Thanks anyway though. As for last season, well.. nothing about that fits in with a conversation about any of the PG1s you mentioned.

The staff has expressed interest in Blackshear. It's unclear if Blackshear expressed it back.

It sounds like he's either UK or NBA bound until we hear otherwise.

Um that's nice and all but I don't need refreshers, as I miss almost nothing. Thanks anyway though. As for last season, well.. nothing about that fits in with a conversation about any of the PG1s you mentioned.

Neither does berry. At barely 3 assists/gm Hes prob 7th or 8th all time best unc pg AT BEST. No way in hell hes ahead of ford, smith, cota, felton, paige and marshall. ABSOLUTELY ABSURD to rank him ahead of those guys. I could also make a damn good argument for larry brown and phelps as well. A great pg for sure. Top ten in unc history says a lot. But best ever? Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Neither does berry. At barely 3 assists/gm Hes prob 7th or 8th all time best unc pg AT BEST. No way in hell hes ahead of ford, smith, cota, felton, paige and marshall. ABSOLUTELY ABSURD to rank him ahead of those guys. I could also make a damn good argument for larry brown and phelps as well. A great pg for sure. Top ten in unc history says a lot. But best ever? Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!
First, when did I ever say "best ever"? Never.
And second, grow up. Seriously.

First, when did I ever say "best ever"? Never.
And second, grow up. Seriously.

First, and i quote, “berry ran the show better than anyone ever played here” so are you saying thats not the same as saying “best ever”? really? Gmafb

Second, in your face, seriously

Third, if you’re stepping back from such an idiotic opinion (as you should) then where do you rank him? I’m always curious how auburn fans rank our pg’s.

Last edited:
I’ll give u kudos gary. Theres been some stuff posted on radar over the years that’s been beyond the realm of ludicrous. From ncaa conspiring with refs to make us lose to nova, pollsters conspiring to keep dook ranked ahead of us, ncaa tourney committee conspiring to give us a harder bracket than dook, to espn announcers conspiring to hate on us. But to claim that berry “ran the show better than anyone ever” at unc.....omg that might just beat them all!!!!!!

I’ll give u kudos gary. Theres been some stuff posted on radar over the years that’s been beyond the realm of ludicrous. From ncaa conspiring with refs to make us lose to nova, pollsters conspiring to keep dook ranked ahead of us, ncaa tourney committee conspiring to give us a harder bracket than dook, to espn announcers conspiring to hate on us. But to claim that berry “ran the show better than anyone ever” at unc.....omg that might just beat them all!!!!!!

This is so cool. I mean, to keep checking this thread for grad transfer news & to see another pissing match because someone doesn't agree with @gary-7. Thanks.

This is so cool. I mean, to keep checking this thread for grad transfer news & to see another pissing match because someone doesn't agree with @gary-7. Thanks.

Cool. Obviously your problem is with the person hi jacking the grad transfer thread to throw shade at colby and claim berry is the best unc pg ever. If u dont like someone taking issue with such crap then feel free to ignore me. Thanks

Reactions: heelfan1961
Cool. Obviously your problem is with the person hi jacking the grad transfer thread to throw shade at colby and claim berry is the best unc pg ever. If u dont like someone taking issue with such crap then feel free to ignore me. Thanks

My neighbor pisses me off but I don't feel the need to go tell him all the time.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Petty guys. You each have an opinion. We share it and if u dont agree.. it doesnt make your opinion better or right. If Gary feels player "x" is better than player "y"... does it matter? Hell both were Heels.

Reactions: gary-7
First, and i quote, “berry ran the show better than anyone ever played here” so are you saying thats not the same as saying “best ever”? really? Gmafb

Second, in your face, seriously

Third, if you’re stepping back from such an idiotic opinion (as you should) then where do you rank him? I’m always curious how auburn fans rank our pg’s.
BS as usual. I was talking about the floor-general role and I stand by that. He did that as well or better than anyone. But then, you wouldn't know the difference or the nuances among the various roles of PG play, would you? No, of course not. You just wanted to take some juvenile pot-shot. Too bad it blew up in your hand.

You're what, 5 years old? Go play in the traffic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT