ADVERTISEMENT

**Those in the know: How did the Wilcher visit go?"

Looks like a shoe NIL may already be in the works. ;)

Just kidding. But that was a thought that came to mind when I saw this pic.

FBV4VsMWQAcDwxV

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
For any who may have wondered, he isn't related to the former Kentucky-then-Gonzaga center, who spelled his name Wiltjer.

Which means that although Gonzaga is also interested in Wilcher, they don't have the inside track based on family.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I would love to hear some scouting reports on this kid, I am a bit on the fence with him right now? I have some questions for now about his ball handing and I need to see him jump shooting more, not yet sold on his jump shooting but think I may be in time? I am having a hard time getting a good feel for what his game is and may become and I need that feel to be better before I can get off the fence about him?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sounds like he's a pretty good floor general.

Not sure how he fits playing with a sophomore Trimble and a senior Davis. Obviously Hubert is keen on playing 2 point guards together.

But if we're being honest, I didn't get the impression we wowed him enough to land him. I'm not sure UNC is doing the thing$ necessary in the NIL era to land 5-star recruits.

Not sure how he fits playing with a sophomore Trimble and a senior Davis. Obviously Hubert is keen on playing 2 point guards together.

But if we're being honest, I didn't get the impression we wowed him enough to land him. I'm not sure UNC is doing the thing$ necessary in the NIL era to land 5-star recruits.
My firm has logged 144 NIL Deals and I can tell you that UNC is not lagging behind in NIL deals. Yes, there are some deals out there throwing around some big money i.e FedEx ( Memphis) and Nike (Oregon) , but UNC is right in there with a lot of schools.

Here is a UNC NIL deal. Each player on the team will make at least 1K on this one event. If this company does 5 more of these doing home games this season, these players will pull in several thousand dollars. Now, this is only one NIL deal. There are some estimates out there that the average player will make at least 10K in NIL.

There is an old saying in football that if you play 2 QBs then you really don't have a QB. I do thin k that to an extent the same should apply to basketball PGs. What I think most, including Hubert want isn't as much 2 true PGs but more a true PG and a combo guy that can roll over to the point and facilitate. To me, Marcus was always more of a 2 that needed to look for his shot more than a guy that sets every one else up. I love my primary PG to be a jet quick really good ball handler that shots just enough to force the defense to respect his jump shot but is more focused on setting his team mates up for good ops. I want my 2 guard to be more looking for his shot and be able to drain it. I love really great passing from our PG and a guy that does not throw it away for a lot of TOs. Meaning, I prefer the Ty Lawson, Ray Felton, Kendal type of PGs. But I love them playing beside a guy like Marcus, Coby, Cole, or Caleb.

No down grading a guy like Caleb but I really do hope he has realized the value of being more of a facilitator than scorer. With the less congestion in the lane Caleb may be able to get to the rim any time he wants but you want to get your other guys game cranked up to. The stat I value more than any for our PGs is a strong assist to TO line and I think a PG for UNC, especially with what Hubert wants, should be able to flirt with 10 assists every game and if the TOs are down your teams wins and wins a lot!

3 or 4 years ago, had a disagreement with gary (not looking to inflame that now, just using an example) that I wanted Joel to focus more, especially early in games on getting Hicks more involved in easy scoring ops and maybe not jump shoot quite as much. I said that because I noticed, Hicks tended at times to not be a real offensive factor when he did not get good ops early in games and when that happed we played teams much closer than I felt we should have but when Hicks did get cranked up early it set the tone for a great game from us. So I felt it more important to get Hicks cranked up than Joel hit a jump shot. I wanted Joel's assist rate to be higher, I now want Caleb's assist rate to ramp up so his mates can get their game cranked up early in games. I don't think we need our PG to lead us in shot attempts, Caleb did last season, that didn't work out real well. I very much want UNC PGs to dominate a game but I don't need them to lead us in scoring or feel as if they have to gone in to "super man" mode to save us, I want the whole team to play as a unit and score and not need saving.

My firm has logged 144 NIL Deals and I can tell you that UNC is not lagging behind in NIL deals. Yes, there are some deals out there throwing around some big money i.e FedEx ( Memphis) and Nike (Oregon) , but UNC is right in there with a lot of schools.

Here is a UNC NIL deal. Each player on the team will make at least 1K on this one event. If this company does 5 more of these doing home games this season, these players will pull in several thousand dollars. Now, this is only one NIL deal. There are some estimates out there that the average player will make at least 10K in NIL.

How many NIL deals have UNC boosters provided to 5-star recruits so far? Because that is what I'm talking about. That is what dook, UK, and Memphis boosters are doing to land elite recruits... and they don't have to report any of it unless there is a specific state law requiring them to do so.

Elite recruits and their families don't want to wait until they get to college to start making money. They damn sure don't want to wait until college just to be rewarded with "a few thousand dollars." Overtime Elite is offering a minimum of $100,000 in salary plus bonuses. UK, dook, and Memphis boosters are offering more than that. If UNC wants to start landing 5-star recruits in the NIL era, then some boosters need to step up. Otherwise we might as well stop discussing 5-star recruits because we aren't going to land any.

Then let's stop discussing 5* recruits!

I'm fine with beating their arses with a collection of elite and those who grow into their games like we used to! We take the elite peeps who want to be Heels and discover + groom those with the skills/temperament/and work ethic to become part of something bigger than themselves!

Family First!

How many NIL deals have UNC boosters provided to 5-star recruits so far? Because that is what I'm talking about. That is what dook, UK, and Memphis boosters are doing to land elite recruits... and they don't have to report any of it unless there is a specific state law requiring them to do so.

Elite recruits and their families don't want to wait until they get to college to start making money. They damn sure don't want to wait until college just to be rewarded with "a few thousand dollars." Overtime Elite is offering a minimum of $100,000 in salary plus bonuses. UK, dook, and Memphis boosters are offering more than that. If UNC wants to start landing 5-star recruits in the NIL era, then some boosters need to step up. Otherwise we might as well stop discussing 5-star recruits because we aren't going to land any.
Hubert wants recruits that "want" to be at UNC, plus they must be kids that are "recruitable"

I doubt UNC will be focusing on many Top 20 kids in the future. There will be a few exceptions (i.e GG Jackson) and a few others, but I doubt Hubert is going to waste his time on a lot of OAD kids.

You build national title teams with experienced players sprinkled in with an occasional OAD.

Plus, the Portal is out there. Darson Garcia is 5-star portal guy and an argument can me made that Manek is a 5-star portal guy as a 5th year senior.

Last edited:
I wonder if Kessler is making more at Auburn than he would have staying here?

I mean we were all expecting him to be a star if he stayed, so presumably he would have had good NIL opportunities.

No, I'm not suggesting he left for that reason. Just curious what the difference might be.

Then let's stop discussing 5* recruits!

I'm fine with beating their arses with a collection of elite and those who grow into their games like we used to! We take the elite peeps who want to be Heels and discover + groom those with the skills/temperament/and work ethic to become part of something bigger than themselves!

Family First!
Post of the Month!

I wonder if Kessler is making more at Auburn than he would have staying here?

I mean we were all expecting him to be a star if he stayed, so presumably he would have had good NIL opportunities.

No, I'm not suggesting he left for that reason. Just curious what the difference might be.
NIL can go both ways.

Some companies may be reluctant to give the big freshmen OAD kids the big bucks before they have had some success.

The quarterback for Clemson signed a huge NIL deal with Dr. Pepper and thus far he has been a flop. His claim to fame? He played one game in his freshman year when the starting quarterback was hurt.

Please take a look at this article. Here are examples of 3 potential QB flops on NIL this year.

NIL can go both ways.

Some companies may be reluctant to give the big freshmen OAD kids the big bucks before they have had some success.

The quarterback for Clemson signed a huge NIL deal with Dr. Pepper and thus far he has been a flop. His claim to fame? He played one game in his freshman year when the starting quarterback was hurt.

Please take a look at this article. Here are examples of 3 potential QB flops on NIL this year.

"Then there is King, who is expected to make seven figures this year."

Yikes! That's serious money - compared with what he could have gotten last year (honestly).

Makes me feel sorry for a guy like Hansbrough.

Also makes me wonder if good NIL deals will make borderline draft picks decide to stick around a little longer. I mean why risk going undrafted and maybe unwanted if you are making good NIL money? Stay in college longer and hone your skills, while doing OK.

Hubert wants recruits that "want" to be at UNC, plus they must be kids that are "recruitable"

I doubt UNC will be focusing on many Top 20 kids in the future. There will be a few exceptions (i.e GG Jackson) and a few others, but I doubt Hubert is going to waste his time on a lot of OAD kids.

You build national title teams with experienced players sprinkled in with an occasional OAD.

Plus, the Portal is out there. Darson Garcia is 5-star portal guy and an argument can me made that Manek is a 5-star portal guy as a 5th year senior.
So you are basically saying UNC should never waste time on players like Worthy, Jordan, The Jet, Reid, Lynch, Montross, Stackhouse, Wallace, McInnis, Jamison, Carter, Cota, Forte, Haywood, Felton, May, Marvin Williams, Jawad Williams, Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Wright, Davis, Zeller, Henson, Barnes, Bullock, McAdoo, Hairston, Jackson, Hicks, Bradley, Little, White, Anthony, Bacot, Love... the 5-star/top 25 recruits that have basically been the bedrock of our success and carried our flag in the pros to inspire future players to become Tar Heels.

The NIL rules pass, and we are finally on even footing with the cheating programs who have been buying recruits, and you want to see us give up on the type of talent that made Carolina successful??? Are you actively trying to turn us into NC State, or are you just too dumb to realize you are trying to turn us into NC State?

So you are basically saying UNC should never waste time on players like Worthy, Jordan, The Jet, Reid, Lynch, Montross, Stackhouse, Wallace, McInnis, Jamison, Carter, Cota, Forte, Haywood, Felton, May, Marvin Williams, Jawad Williams, Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Wright, Davis, Zeller, Henson, Barnes, Bullock, McAdoo, Hairston, Jackson, Hicks, Bradley, Little, White, Anthony, Bacot, Love... the 5-star/top 25 recruits that have basically been the bedrock of our success and carried our flag in the pros to inspire future players to become Tar Heels.

The NIL rules pass, and we are finally on even footing with the cheating programs who have been buying recruits, and you want to see us give up on the type of talent that made Carolina successful??? Are you actively trying to turn us into NC State, or are you just too dumb to realize you are trying to turn us into NC State?

Hubert has not coached a game yet and you are going wacky. Man, settle down!

UNC was projected preseason rank over 30 and the portal moves in the off-season pushed the rankings to 10-15, depending on the poll. Funny that you ignored that fact.

As far as the former UNC players you mentioned, Hubert can get some of those type players in the Portal, sprinkled in with some occasional 5-star freshmen.

Man, chill out and let Hubert coach his first season. LMFAO

Last edited:
I would respond to the ridiculously over the top rant, but as a high school administrator I have learned to never engage when someone acts is such a childish manner. Once we return to adult conversation without the sophomoric need to call names, I will gladly re-enter the "debate". If you find you are unable to do this, that's fine as well since my ignore list is vast and welcoming!

You list an impressive list of former UNC players this will be the first season any of them have played under the NIL era. Many of your list are players that played n an era where guys rarely even left early, how things were done then is very different from how they are done now, I don't see the value of your list of names as it applies to this argument? It is the current day 5stars that are much more likely to by pass college all together, it was highly rated players that were involved in the FBI investigation stuff.

Point being it is the 5 star freshman player that is the highest risk do they now days give you the greatest rewards to off set that risk? Not really, over he last few years it is very experienced teams that have been winning nattys, not the 5 star 1 & done freshman led teams. The trend is more and more 5 stars going in other directions rather than college and that trend does not seem to be slowing
at all.

Back in Marvin's class, the last class where a kid could enter the NBA right out of high school, there were double digit highly ranked kids that skipped college. The NBA installed the 1&D to try to slow that down but now with the G-league and other newly formed leagues that pay kids, the NBA has more time to evaluate before they spend the huge bucks. We are getting to a time when most, if not all of the top 20 kids in a class will bypass college. So you can recruit them if you want but why if it appears they will not play college ball?

It will force the power programs, that today go after a lot of 5star players to look harder at 4 star kids. Those programs, like the wuffies, that today try to farm the 4star kids will get kicked back to farming 3 stars and across the board the premium will turn back to developing players rather than having as huge a talent gap. I have always said, let the kids that want to become pros, that really do not want to play college ball but feel like they have to in order to see their future NBA dreams come true, let them go out of college, the college game will still be just fine. Yes, you still recruit the kid that you feel you have a decent shot at getting, like GG, but going all in on 5 stars and not building your program on a solid base of returning experienced college players, well that isn't winning nattys now days...

What this boils down to is that college programs will have to recruit the best "available" kids rather than the best talents and focusing more on developing the guys they can get rather than being as able to club opposing teams in to submission with so much shear talent. College basketball has built itself based on the name on the front of the jersey more than the names on the back, it's fan base cheers for the program more than for individuals, the pro game is the direct opposite...

I would respond to the ridiculously over the top rant, but as a high school administrator I have learned to never engage when someone acts is such a childish manner. Once we return to adult conversation without the sophomoric need to call names, I will gladly re-enter the "debate". If you find you are unable to do this, that's fine as well since my ignore list is vast and welcoming!

Excellent response sir.

Discretion is the batter part of valor!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT