ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Confederate Removals?

In recent poll 40% of African Americans thought statues honoring leaders of the Confederacy should be "removed because they are offensive to some people". 25% Whites agree to removal.

Education-wise remain/remove/unsure:
Not college graduate 68% 22% 11%
College graduate 54% 34% 12%

Race
White 67% 25% 8%
African American 44% 40% 16%
Latino 65% 24% 11%

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3933461/NPR-PBS-NewsHour-Marist-Poll-Aug-17-2017.pdf
Interesting. I would have guessed that a higher percentage of black people would want to remove them.

Interesting. I would have guessed that a higher percentage of black people would want to remove them.

Holy shit, disregard the whole poll. People clearly aren't listening to the questions. 4% of black people and 7% of latinos said they agree with the white supremacy movement!

"From what you have heard or seen about each of the following do you mostly agree or mostly disagree with their beliefs: The white supremacy movement?"

Mostly agree /Mostly disagree /Vol: Don't have an opinion either way /Unsure

White 3% 88% 3% 6%
African American 4% 90% 2% 4%
Latino 7% 76% 8% 8%

Never had nothing to get over.....dealt with it and moved on!! You don't see me out in NM tearing down statues of historical spanish/latin figures....because I am a rational human being and NOT some sissy who is crying over something that happened hundreds of years ago.

get your head out of the sand if you cant see the progress that this country has made....guys like you will never ever be happy/satisfied!

Me oppressed...you are the one crying like a little pu&&y about some statues......getting your self in a tizzy because you got triggered.....

lol, nobody is crying here, i assure you...doesn't look like progress to me unless every news channel is fake news.

you really sound upset about this...there's a pill for it in case you didn't know.

I definitely see where you're coming from, and on this particular issue I may even agree. But once we start giving these nazis power by destroying anything they say they like, they could get smart about it. If they somehow correlate puppies to being symbols of Hitler, do we just go and slaughter all the puppies in the country to spite the nazis?

okay, i see this...agree

hope it doesn't get to that point, though.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
lol, nobody is crying here, i assure you...doesn't look like progress to me unless every news channel is fake news.

you really sound upset about this...there's a pill for it in case you didn't know.
You're rapidly becoming unbearable to read. Not because of your overall lack of intelligence, but because you're just turning into an internet bully. You might need to step away for a bit.

I didn't read all the poasts in this thread but I'll share my thoughts.

I think the removal of the statues is wrong. I did read @ticket2ride04's poasts where he says "many of these statues were put up for the sole reason of disrespecting blacks". I'm going to need proof of that before I believe it.

Secondly, here's a newsflash - people in the North owned slaves. They freed their's just a few years before slavery was abolished nationwide. So I'm supposed to look at Ulysses Grant as some beacon of righteousness and demonize Lee because Grant jumped on the "slavery is bad" train just a few years before those in the South? That's bullshit. If slavery is bad, it was always bad. A few years shouldn't make one a hero and another the devil.

Lastly, the South needed slaves to prosper. Lincoln knew that. The war was about control. Save all that humanitarian bullshit for someone that might believe it. The North was not outlawing slavery for the reasons you were told in elementary school.
Mash here

In fact, most of these Confederate monuments were built during the Jim Crow era and in response to the civil rights movement — a sign that they were meant to explicitly represent white supremacy in the South:

In recent poll 40% of African Americans thought statues honoring leaders of the Confederacy should be "removed because they are offensive to some people". 25% Whites agree to removal.

Education-wise remain/remove/unsure:
Not college graduate 68% 22% 11%
College graduate 54% 34% 12%

Race
White 67% 25% 8%
African American 44% 40% 16%
Latino 65% 24% 11%

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3933461/NPR-PBS-NewsHour-Marist-Poll-Aug-17-2017.pdf

So we're gonna do something that the majority of every "type" of person disagrees with (including the race of people that are supposedly negatively impacted by this)?

Did you honestly think that poll helped your argument? It looks like it shoots it right in the foot to me.

You're welcome to re-read the poast to which I originally responded. My response was completely warranted, thank you very much.
tenor.gif

Grant never owned slaves GSD. No Union general did.

"Many visitors to Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site are surprised to learn that slaves lived and worked on the nineteenth century farm known as White Haven. During the years 1854 to 1859 Grant lived here with his wife, Julia, and their children, managing the farm for his father-in-law, Colonel Dent. At that time no one suspected that Grant would rise from obscurity to achieve the success he gained during the Civil war. However, his experience working alongside the White Haven slaves may have influenced him in his later roles as the Union general who won the war which abolished that “peculiar institution,” and as President of the United States. The interpretation of slavery at White Haven is therefore an important part of the mission of this historic site."
https://www.nps.gov/ulsg/learn/historyculture/slaveryatwh.htm

http://pres-slaves.zohosites.com/

You're rapidly becoming unbearable to read. Not because of your overall lack of intelligence, but because you're just turning into an internet bully. You might need to step away for a bit.

wow, i don't think you understand what a bully is if you think that...have you seen the characterizations and the name calling on here?

Last edited:
"Many visitors to Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site are surprised to learn that slaves lived and worked on the nineteenth century farm known as White Haven. During the years 1854 to 1859 Grant lived here with his wife, Julia, and their children, managing the farm for his father-in-law, Colonel Dent. At that time no one suspected that Grant would rise from obscurity to achieve the success he gained during the Civil war. However, his experience working alongside the White Haven slaves may have influenced him in his later roles as the Union general who won the war which abolished that “peculiar institution,” and as President of the United States. The interpretation of slavery at White Haven is therefore an important part of the mission of this historic site."
https://www.nps.gov/ulsg/learn/historyculture/slaveryatwh.htm

http://pres-slaves.zohosites.com/
So his FIL owned slaves?

wow, i don't think you understand what a bully is if you think that?...have you seen the characterizations and the name calling on here?
Oh I'm not offended by it. I just think you're being a dick for no real reason. @GACMAN brought an interesting perspective and you shot him down needlessly. JMO. You do you, fam. Lord knows I'd be a bully too if I lived in Cola. I'd be miserable 25/8 :)

...doesn't look like progress to me unless every news channel is fake news.

That's absurd. So because a few dozen racist marched in C-ville last week, we're not progressing?

Look, if you or anyone else here is thinking there will one day be no racism, y'all need a reality check. There will always be racism. There will always be prejudice. We need to focus more on helping people determine their own self worth than we do on eradicating something that cannot be eradicated. And in fact, the more we focus on racism, the more it will grow.

That's absurd. So because a few dozen racist marched in C-ville last week, we're not progressing?

Look, if you or anyone else here is thinking there will one day be no racism, y'all need a reality check. There will always be racism. There will always be prejudice. We need to focus more on helping people determine their own self worth than we do on eradicating something that cannot be eradicated. And in fact, the more we focus on racism, the more it will grow.
You are being willfully ignorant if you think only a few dozen racists marched last weekend? Leaving out the fact a neo-nazi killed an innocent woman is even worse.

You are being willfully ignorant if you think only a few dozen racists marched last weekend? Leaving out the fact a neo-nazi killed an innocent woman is even worse.
You are willfully ignorant if you think the people who marched in Charlottesville represent the view of the average white American.

Yes. As did he. Or he was complicit. Either way, it doesn't appear he was the beacon of righteousness that we were made to believe.
I don't think was very righteous. He ran one of the most corrupt administrations this country has ever seen. But he was a pretty effective general for the good guys.

Reactions: strummingram

Good poast!

The American Civil War is a pretty amazing phenomenon. Americans are a very, VERY unique breed because we come from every other breed and we're bred together.

As someone who has spent virtually my whole life as a Civil War "buff" (hate that term), and descended from a famous Rebel general, and I know my lineage in great detail to the war. I had a great-great grandmother endure an attack by Union soldiers much like the scene with Natalie Portman in Cold Mountain. I participated in a dozen or more Civil War reenactments. I was an extra in "Gettysburg" and at the 130th Anniversary Gettysburg reenactment. I even marched in Myrtle Beach to keep the Rebel Flag on top of the Capitol Building in 1993.

I'm ashamed of much of that now. I don't regret it, but I am ashamed of it. The reenactments and marching, especially. I'm not ashamed of my lineage. But, I am very much ashamed of the institution of slavery that they were fighting to keep alive. I understand that war is rich men getting poor men to fight for property, resources and influence. But, without the institution of African slavery, there would never have been a Civil War.

Sorry for the long diatribe. But, if I can accept that these symbols are praising (directly or indirectly) the institution of slavery, and a superior white race, that it was being fought to preserve, and know that is a bad idea, then anyone can. If Nazis are using them as symbols to embolden them HERE, then they served their purpose and can be removed. I don't want Nazi ideology to get more popular. If taking Jefferson off of Mt. Rushmore helps to stem Nazi ideology of white race supremacy, then take it off.

Oh I'm not offended by it. I just think you're being a dick for no real reason. @GACMAN brought an interesting perspective and you shot him down needlessly. JMO. You do you, fam. Lord knows I'd be a bully too if I lived in Cola. I'd be miserable 25/8 :)

@GACMAN brought insults and hypocrisy, but that's your opinion.

offended by what?...just wtf are you talking about, anyway?...we have different opinions now on being dick and obama inciting tensions and division; that's not even counting sports.

and you live in atlanta, right?

Punish all of white America, duh. We must apologize for our white privilege.

Yes!! And we must talk about it...all the time. Because to the clueless, talking about it will fix it. So we should make movie after movie about it. We should highlight anytime a person of color is done wrong and dissect it to unveil the institutional racism that exist.

So we're gonna do something that the majority of every "type" of person disagrees with (including the race of people that are supposedly negatively impacted by this)?

Did you honestly think that poll helped your argument? It looks like it shoots it right in the foot to me.

What do you think i'm arguing for? I posted the poll link because I thought it had some interesting info. The only arguments i've made in this thread and the other is that a) we can't discard the perspective of others b) we should be looking for compromises before things get destroyed/lost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT