ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Confederate Removals?

You can't be serious. Like Georgia I would understand but Minnesota fought for the damn union. They're the furthest thing from southern as humanely possible.
I'm absolutely serious. He texted me photos from it! It has nothing to do with "Who fought for what" 150 years ago.

Well clearly they don't know their history, if they did they wouldn't be flying that damn flag.
I don't think they really cared about Minnesota fighting for the Union. That's another example of how that flag has been co-opted.

My brother's fiance' was friends with the bride, and she was shocked! The groom was a truck-nuts redneck from a place called Foley, MN, near Red Cloud.

I gotta give my kid brother props. He doesn't pay ANY attention to anything political at all, but we see eye-to-eye on almost everything from a social perspective. He pays no attention to news or politics at all.

I don't think they really cared about Minnesota fighting for the Union. That's another example of how that flag has been co-opted.

My brother's fiance' was friends with the bride, and she was shocked! The groom was a truck-nuts redneck from a place called Foley, MN, near Red Cloud.

I gotta give my kid brother props. He doesn't pay ANY attention to anything political at all, but we see eye-to-eye on almost everything from a social perspective. He pays no attention to news or politics at all.

I dislike it when people co-opt that flag. I'm not going to sit here and whine like a lot of my fb friends about how it represents "pure evil" and all that emotional crap, but I don't exactly heap praise on wannabes who think it's some fun symbol.

I give a slight pass to those living in the former Confederacy. Not because it's any less dumb but at least those states can claim the flag as part of their history. Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, etc. cannot claim the same. So when I see some idiot with a pick up truck where I live, even if it's extremely rare, with a confederate sticker on the back, I just shake my head.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I dislike it when people co-opt that flag. I'm not going to sit here and whine like a lot of my fb friends about how it represents "pure evil" and all that emotional crap, but I don't exactly heap praise on wannabes who think it's some fun symbol.

I give a slight pass to those living in the former Confederacy. Not because it's any less dumb but at least those states can claim the flag as part of their history. Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, etc. cannot claim the same. So when I see some idiot with a pick up truck where I live, even if it's extremely rare, with a confederate sticker on the back, I just shake my head.
I may have shared this before, but here is Shelby Foote on the flag:

Has everyone noticed how much better everything has gotten since they have started removing the statues? Minority employment is up, wages are up, prison population is down, the list goes on and on.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Has everyone noticed how much better everything has gotten since they have started removing the statues? Minority employment is up, wages are up, prison population is down, the list goes on and on.
Of course. All of those results usually only take a few weeks, right? Regardless of the shift, the results are clearly visible in a few hours, if done correctly.

Reactions: nctransplant
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/27/george-washingtons-church-tear-down-memorial-honor/

George Washington has now started coming under fire. I wonder if he'll eventually be removed from Mt Rushmore, the $1 bill, and the quarter. Maybe Washington state and DC will change their names to distance themselves so people dont constantly have to endure the hardship of being reminded of such a twisted racist man.
18th and 19th Century white guys from America aren't exactly the most popular people right now.

Well ya, and I can see why. They were all a bunch of racists and thus not worthy of being remembered.
Well, people see them as racist by today's standards, which I don't agree with, but I can't make them change their mind.

What's peculiar to me is that white men from 50 75 100 Years Ago, by today's standards, are racists. I don't understand the need to try to hold people from different eras to a standard that's not from their era. You can be conscious and aware of a condition now without being judgemental of people who are no longer here.

Well, people see them as racist by today's standards, which I don't agree with, but I can't make them change their mind.

What's peculiar to me is that white men from 50 75 100 Years Ago, by today's standards, are racists. I don't understand the need to try to hold people from different eras to a standard that's not from their era. You can be conscious and aware of a condition now without being judgemental of people who are no longer here.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Not only that, but there tends to be only a focus on the bad rather than the more positive accomplishments of these evil, racist, white men, many of which were crucial to the republic as we know it.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Not only that, but there tends to be only a focus on the bad rather than the more positive accomplishments of these evil, racist, white men, many of which were crucial to the republic as we know it.
Yeah... I was having an "intellectual discussion" with one of my uber-uber liberal friends who was ranting about the Civil War statues mostly. She's all for renaming Tillman Hall (legacy building on Clemson's campus). I said "Why? You wanna bulldoze John C. Calhoun's home, too? I hate to tell ya, but Martin Luther King, Jr. disliked homosexuals big-time! George Orwell also had a huge disdain for homosexuals. For every person that you champion as some kind of hero, I guarantee you that there is something(s) about them that are very unsavory in a social/political sense, by the present standard."

I even brought up the story behind Julian Carr. I explained about how he was a hardcore racist who believed blacks were an inferior race and was proud of his white supremacist ideology. I also explained that without him, women might not have succeeded with the right to vote as soon as they did. I explained how Carr was partly responsible for the Equal Suffrage League of North Carolina and was held in high regard by Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Stanton. It's all about perspective, I guess.

There's something wonderful about every human being, even the really bad ones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT