ADVERTISEMENT

THUG who killed NYPD officer.....

I'm not a trained police officer but I'm 100% certain I could restrain a teenage girl, even a violent one, without having to throw a desk. But hey maybe some of you guys just aren't as tough as you like to insinuate from behind a keyboard

Let's see it. She would destroy you.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I'm not a trained police officer but I'm 100% certain I could restrain a teenage girl, even a violent one, without having to throw a desk. But hey maybe some of you guys just aren't as tough as you like to insinuate from behind a keyboard

I'm 100% certain you have no idea how difficult it is. I'm firmly on the side of understanding there is blame both ways here. The cop was fired and I agree with that. The girl should be punished by the school. However, I'm trained in how to safely restrain and deal with violent and aggressive and non-aggressive students/people. It is much more difficult than you think. The cop made some huge mistakes here and did not follow the proper steps. He is facing the consequences. I know you said without 'throwing a desk' which is pretty specific. Your tone suggests you could do it without it looking violent at all. You could not.

Reactions: DeanFor President
I'm 100% certain you have no idea how difficult it is. I'm firmly on the side of understanding there is blame both ways here. The cop was fired and I agree with that. The girl should be punished by the school. However, I'm trained in how to safely restrain and deal with violent and aggressive and non-aggressive students/people. It is much more difficult than you think. The cop made some huge mistakes here and did not follow the proper steps. He is facing the consequences. I know you said without 'throwing a desk' which is pretty specific. Your tone suggests you could do it without it looking violent at all. You could not.

Good post. The training you mention, is it the Mandt system? I'm familiar.

Good post. The training you mention, is it the Mandt system? I'm familiar.

No, we use Nonviolent Crisis Intervention/CPI. I think it is heavily geared towards use in schools. I may look up the Mandt later and see how similar they are though.

No, we use Nonviolent Crisis Intervention/CPI. I think it is heavily geared towards use in schools. I may look up the Mandt later and see how similar they are though.

I'm familiar with CPI as well. But about 15 years ago, I heard that CPI was an outdated model and that's why the Commonwealth of VA (I was working for VA Dept of Mental Health at the time) switched to using the Mandt system. CPI must have updated their methods. But I remember the CPI holds being very aggressive and I think I remember hearing stories about injury and even death resulting from them.

I'm familiar with CPI as well. But about 15 years ago, I heard that CPI was an outdated model and that's why the Commonwealth of VA (I was working for VA Dept of Mental Health at the time) switched to using the Mandt system. CPI must have updated their methods. But I remember the CPI holds being very aggressive and I think I remember hearing stories about injury and even death resulting from them.

Yeah, it is way different than it was even two or three years ago. I can't imagine how different it is from the way it was way back then. I don't know that it is better or worse than any other system though. I just know it because it is what our district uses.

I'm afraid you misinterpreted my "tone." I said without throwing a desk, and I meant without throwing a desk. Not sure how that means that blame shouldn't go both ways. I never said the girl wasn't in the wrong. Just that she shouldn't have been thrown around like a rag doll by a douchebag on a power trip.

I'm afraid you misinterpreted my "tone." I said without throwing a desk, and I meant without throwing a desk. Not sure how that means that blame shouldn't go both ways. I never said the girl wasn't in the wrong. Just that she shouldn't have been thrown around like a rag doll by a douchebag on a power trip.

Without throwing a desk just seems so specific. Honestly, the worst thing he did (besides not taking the proper steps like waiting for help and then using proper procedures) was not the desk but dragging her after she was on the ground. I could at least see how the desk was a byproduct of the struggle itself. The dragging her afterwards can't really be defended IMO.

The dragging her afterwards can't really be defended IMO.
That's what looks really intentional and out of control. It looks like he took it personal.

What the student did was dumb, it was disrespectful, and it was a prime example of how teenage kids act-out toward authority. Teenagers have been doing that for decades and decades. You can see it personified, in it's own relative way, going back to the 1950's.

Clear the room, remove her audience, make her realize she's up against more than ONE adult person... and no violence ever needs to occur. And, it sends the message to other kids- "Are you sure you want this?" Doing what the cop did has caused millions and millions of people to be involved and set a bad standard for future altercations. It's made bad become much worse. I don't want police to feel emasculated and like "it's not worth me getting fired if I get involved." But, I don't believe most police officers would have gone to the length that one did. You also don't want a repeat performance of that episode either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT