ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

John Bol Ajak from Cuse & Brizzi (a kid a lot of fans here were interested in before he went to Villinova) are in it. Want a big man, 6'11" 295lbs TT transfer Eddy Lampkin is there.

I think PG is a primary need. I see Skyy 6-3 PG Clark (Illinois) is in the portal. I like his game.
I understand that many of us feel that way but I'm comfortable with RJ handling those duties. With Seth and D'Marco lightening his load so he isn't out of gas offensively at the end of games.

I'd be curious to see how RJ's offensive stats might change if he turned most PG duties over to someone else, but unless we get more shooters, it's hard to see how we can afford to do that.

Bring in a hot-shooting SF and PF and we could try that experiment. Similarly, bring in a hot-shooting PG and RJ could play more off ball.

Obviously if players like Seth and D'Marco stick around and turn into hot shooters, we have much less need to bring in new guys.

Clark has already quit on two teams in less than one season. Normally I'd believe this is primarily the type of guy we should avoid, but this is Nu-NC Basketball so I'm sure he's perfect for a guy like Hubert. Another clown for the circus.

Clark has already quit on two teams in less than one season. Normally I'd believe this is primarily the type of guy we should avoid, but this is Nu-NC Basketball so I'm sure he's perfect for a guy like Hubert. Another clown for the circus.
Ouch.

TOS reranks some in the portal with a T (transfer) rating as opposed to their HS rating. Skyy dropped a lot from HS to T.

I can’t resist. I’m entering the portal as well. The portal might lead directly to the Twilight Zone but I’m willing to sign with anyone that can secure a million dollar NIL deal for me. Playing time not so important.

You can only transfer to another message board. Pack Pride might get you a nice NIL deal with Char-Grill though. ;)

As long as they pick up a dead eye three point threat, that is all I am worried about. Give us a consistent three point shooter and this team
Will be better. Not one of those slasher, scorers, have seen plenty of that. And it doesn’t need to be the super athletic type that everybody wants. Give me a Jeff Lebo clone and it will make a world of difference

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I understand that many of us feel that way but I'm comfortable with RJ handling those duties. With Seth and D'Marco lightening his load so he isn't out of gas offensively at the end of games.

I'd be curious to see how RJ's offensive stats might change if he turned most PG duties over to someone else, but unless we get more shooters, it's hard to see how we can afford to do that.

Bring in a hot-shooting SF and PF and we could try that experiment. Similarly, bring in a hot-shooting PG and RJ could play more off ball.

Obviously if players like Seth and D'Marco stick around and turn into hot shooters, we have much less need to bring in new guys.
RJ isn't a great point and Seth/D'Marco currently would be terrible options there. Pretty sure we're going to add another lead ballhandler, though it may be Cadeau reclassing. Don't worry, we'll add wing shooters too.

Khalif Battle looks good to me. We need a big time scorer to replace Love. Would like to have Brakefield also.

Hate to say this, but what exactly is going to draw them to UNC at this point? Not like HD has given them reason to hope. NIL money, maybe....reputation/history of UNC, maybe.....

Hate to say this, but what exactly is going to draw them to UNC at this point? Not like HD has given them reason to hope. NIL money, maybe....reputation/history of UNC, maybe.....
Thats true. I cant remember which recruit it was (maybe Ian Jackson) who mentioned in his commitment that UNC just went to the National Championship game last season, which was a big reason for him wanting to come here.. What are recruits or transfers going to say now? What can Hubert do to draw them in? Being a nice guy isn't going to cut it.

Thats true. I cant remember which recruit it was (maybe Ian Jackson) who mentioned in his commitment that UNC just went to the National Championship game last season, which was a big reason for him wanting to come here.. What are recruits or transfers going to say now? What can Hubert do to draw them in? Being a nice guy isn't going to cut it.
I know the season was terrible but you guys are still being too pessimistic. Dook and UK have missed the tournament recently, they're still doing okay with recruiting. We went to the championship last year, that's better than lots of teams getting good transfers (Miami, Illinois, K-State, Wake) have done in a long time, if ever. What do you think these schools can pitch?

If the money is competitive UNC is a better place to play than just about anywhere.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Sk1310
I know the season was terrible but you guys are still being too pessimistic. Dook and UK have missed the tournament recently, they're still doing okay with recruiting. We went to the championship last year, that's better than lots of teams getting good transfers (Miami, Illinois, K-State, Wake) have done in a long time, if ever. What do you think these schools can pitch?

If the money is competitive UNC is a better place to play than just about anywhere.
The difference is Calipari did not miss the tournament until his 4th season at Kentucky. Calipari made it to Elite 8, Final 4, and won a championship in his first 3 seasons prior to that. So when he misses the tournament, he has an easy track record to back that up.. Hubert has no track record other than that 1 fluke championship run as an 8 seed. Kentucky was 1 and 2 seeds all 3 years prior to missing the tournament.

So yes, I do worry more with recruits when it comes to Hubert vs Calipari.

I‘ve got no concerns about Hubert’s recruiting yet, I have confidence in him on the trail and with the portal. Manek was a great get and Nance was an obvious take that just didn’t pan out as it might have, in part because of his injury struggles, in part because the 4 wasn’t the best spot for him with the rest of our starting group - but I think the decision to take him was defensible. I still believe Hubert will land some key portal pieces - though Love clearing out to make room for portal guys who want some usage is likely an important factor too.

Hubert has no track record other than that 1 fluke championship run as an 8 seed. Kentucky was 1 and 2 seeds all 3 years prior to missing the tournament.
I think the question is whether the championship run was the fluke or missing the tournament is the fluke.

The next season or 2 should answer that question. Unless there's some Doherty-like melt-down, it's not like Hubert is going anywhere for at least 2 more years.

First question is who else, if anyone, heads to the portal. A lot of us would like to free up a little more room to give Hubert a chance to plug the holes with players that fit his system better. If he can do that, then the coming season will be a better test of his abilities than the last 2

Last edited:
I think the question is whether the championship run was the fluke or missing the tournament is the fluke.

The next season or 2 should answer that question. Unless there's some Doherty-like melt-down, it's not like Hubert is going anywhere for at least 2 more years.

First question is who else, if anyone, heads to the portal. A lot of us would like to free up a little more room to give Hubert a chance to plug the holes with players that fit his system better. If he can do that, then the coming season will be a better test of his abilities than the last 2
Hubert Davis and Jeff Lebo (and staff ) both know how to coach. They do not need your approval at any time...

Based on what we've seen, it's closer to the latter. As a whole, they've looked far more like a tournament missing team than the one that made it to the Championship.

People only remember those last 5 1/2 games. Which is understandable because winning, or coming close to winning, cures all. But this was the same team that was still considered a bubble team and being down ~20 and losing to a future 11-21 Pitt team. That loss seemed to light a fire under them because we caught rhythm after that. Shame it never lasted.

Game, set, match 👏
Weird how the only thing you ever remotely contribute to this board is always a cosign from you gargling the nuts of gary, AmySchapelle or someone else. I know it's hard for someone like you, but try forming your own opinion for once 😂

Hubert Davis and Jeff Lebo (and staff ) both know how to coach. They do not need your approval at any time...
Not that I offered my approval in that post. But I understand that you may not have met your quota this early in the day.

Always glad to help out.

Fortunately, none of us needs your approval, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
UNC could have won almost every game they played this past year, so it's not like we were terrible. Hubert screwed the pooch with regards to developing a bench, but a good floor leader (or X's and O's coach) would have had UNC winning a lot more games than we did. Team chemistry was non-existent ... I'm not sure where the blame lies on that one. I'm hoping that we'll have a better season next year, but the jury is still out on HD.

Lebo was a great player for us, but only a mediocre coach. He had 9 winning seasons out of 20, and 5 of those were early gigs at small schools (Tennessee Tech and Chattanooga). Only five 20-win seasons, 3 of them at those lesser schools.

That doesn't mean he isn't a great assistant coach. Might be.

Reactions: chickenhunter

Andrew Jones has said the staff is aware of who is staying/ going for the most part, even if the general public is not.
Come Monday, see who the staff targets in the portal ( only 25 -30 teams still playing at that time) that will give you a good idea of what positions the staff is trying to fill.
My prediction is an Athletic talented basketball player at the 4 spot.
An athletic, talented basketball player at the 3 and perhaps a sharpshooter at the 2/3 spot.

I thought I had asked in this thread but I can't find it.

Has anyone seen former Georgetown guard Primo Spears play? He's got good numbers for a really bad team. Good size at 6'3". Good assist numbers presumably with nontalanted teammates. Not a great shooter and more of a volume shooter but plugging a guy like him at PG might not be bad.

I thought I had asked in this thread but I can't find it.

Has anyone seen former Georgetown guard Primo Spears play? He's got good numbers for a really bad team. Good size at 6'3". Good assist numbers presumably with nontalanted teammates. Not a great shooter and more of a volume shooter but plugging a guy like him at PG might not be bad.
We won't be recruiting a pg.

Why do you say that? We don't have a competent one.
R.J. and Wilcher tandem with Trimble and ?? In reserve is the plan for 2024 season.
I am hopeful Wilcher in a " Lead guard role" can push R.J. off the ball, similar to Berry pushing Paige off the ball, and Proctor pushing Roach off the ball recently at Dook.
I am pretty comfortable saying a portal pg WILL NOT be seeked out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT