ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Walker Miller transferred to Monmouth after Hubert got the job. He started every game, averaged 30 mins, 14.6 ppg, and was selected second team All MAAC.
I didn’t think of this but a sneaky important reason to have an extended coaching tree from your program in today’s transfer era.

I know, there seems to be a whatever HD does, bash him going on right now. So I wanted to know the reaction of them reaching out to two good shooters.
Sk I promise there was no ill will meant toward coach. Just don’t like offers to bad shooters when it’s obvious that’s what’s been killing us as of late. Btw I just waded through this message must have missed the other recruit interests. Who are they?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Sk1310
With RJ, Seth, and Wilcher I do not see PG spot as area of need for next season, if Dunn comes back I think the 2 spot is in pretty good shape but a really sweet jump shooting guy would help us if he can at least stay in front of his man on the defensive end, I like the Timberlake kid, a kid that has made over 600 treys in college and shoots them at a 38% clip, same 3pt distance the blue blood players shoot treys from.

The wing spot (3) is a concern, hard to count on Puff with his injury issues and frankly, his shooting has not been really dependable, I didn't see him progress much last season, other than got a bit more PT. We could small ball with a guy like Timberlake added or portal in a more traditional sized wing shooter. At the 4 I think we need a more physical guy, big broad shoulder guy with a touch of a mean streak that is not scared to flush it! We have Jalen and High who should become reliable stretch 4 types but lets get more physical help for Bacot. And I would LOVE for us to get a rim protecting shot blocking big man, those guys tend to change the game and cover up a lot of the mistakes guards will make. Love Bacot but he isn't really a shot blocking/altering big man but more a big body positional rebounder.

The lack of a shot altering shot blocking big man really hurt us this season, Nance gave us a little bit of that very late season but we needed it there all season. I watched team drive the lane on us un-afraid of their shot being blocked so they had the true duo option, a shot blocker shuts that down. Watched centers shoot over our bigs, Burns for State for example but most decent centers we went against didn't worry much about their shots being blocked, I would like to see that change.

So I portal in 3 guys, a sweet jump shooter at the 3 (could be a long 2 guard and we go smaller, want a shooter more than a scorer, a spot Dunn could fit if he stays), a broad shoulders physical big man, and a rim protector long armed big man ( example, a Lively type shot blocker and Jalen could become that, he has the length and timing).
I think our wishlist is five more guys:

1. Cadeau at PG
2. A guard/wing shooter like Timberlake to be true bench depth
3. A two way wing to start at the 3
4. A marksman to start as a stretch 4
5. Depth for rim protection (even if that player brings limited offense)

As long as two more transfer out (say Love and Shaver) we can add all five. I think #3 and #4 may be difficult, but it's necessary to be a top team next year. We also may feel some flexibility on #2 and #5 depending on evaluations of Dunn + Washington, respectively.

It looks like there are around 150 PGs in the portal already.

If Cadeau doesn't reclassify, should we go after a PG in the portal?

"Hey ChatGTP, which point guards should Hubert recruit from the portal?"

Reactions: DaSheed
Sk I promise there was no ill will meant toward coach. Just don’t like offers to bad shooters when it’s obvious that’s what’s been killing us as of late. Btw I just waded through this message must have missed the other recruit interests. Who are they?

My bad. Must have been in another thread. Reached out to guard Nick Timerblake from Townson, 42.7% from 3 and guard Paxon Wojcik from Brown, 38% from 3

I think our wishlist is five more guys:

1. Cadeau at PG
2. A guard/wing shooter like Timberlake to be true bench depth
3. A two way wing to start at the 3
4. A marksman to start as a stretch 4
5. Depth for rim protection (even if that player brings limited offense)

As long as two more transfer out (say Love and Shaver) we can add all five. I think #3 and #4 may be difficult, but it's necessary to be a top team next year. We also may feel some flexibility on #2 and #5 depending on evaluations of Dunn + Washington, respectively.
If no one else leaves, which 3 do you prioritize?

To me the SF spot is our weakest, simply because all we have left is the oft-injured, erratic shooting Puff. We'd all love for him to turn the corner and stay healthy, but we can't count on it.

Even if Puff is where we want him to be, we still need a backup. So in addition to a straight up SF who could start, it would be good to add a 3/4 to cover both those possible weak areas.

This all assumes that Armando comes back. Those who say he's making too much NIL to move on have convinced me, but he still hasn't chosen to stay, as far as I know. Money may not be sufficient motivation. If he moves on we have a huge hole to fill, and may still need a backup depending on whether Wachington and High look ready to go.

RJ Davis was the primary PG when we made a run to the national championship game. Cadeau would probably be the only player I'd be willing to take the ball out of RJ's hands for.

And keep in mind, due to future scholarship crunches created by a big 2024 recruiting class, any transfers we take probably need to be 1 year players.

If no one else leaves, which 3 do you prioritize?

To me the SF spot is our weakest, simply because all we have left is the oft-injured, erratic shooting Puff. We'd all love for him to turn the corner and stay healthy, but we can't count on it.

Even if Puff is where we want him to be, we still need a backup. So in addition to a straight up SF who could start, it would be good to add a 3/4 to cover both those possible weak areas.

This all assumes that Armando comes back. Those who say he's making too much NIL to move on have convinced me, but he still hasn't chosen to stay, as far as I know. Money may not be sufficient motivation. If he moves on we have a huge hole to fill, and may still need a backup depending on whether Wachington and High look ready to go.
Reason I do not see the wing (3)spot as the most important spot to fill from the portal is if we can get a really strong jump shooting 2 guard, we could be really effective with a 3 guard line up Dunn or a guy like Timberlake could fit in really well in that case. And I am not saying Timberlake is a must get, simply saying he would fit. Nor would ignore the wing position, I would just suggest our larger area of need is rugged built strong space eater physical POWER forward and a rim protector/shot blocker. We need a front court guy or 2, to go along with Bacot, that can stand toe to toe with overly physical teams and not be intimidated. I don't see that right now with Jalen and I do not expect it from the freshman High, so I see that as a big time need in our front court, could be 1 or could be 2 guys that fill that. Then yeah, I look at the wings spot and decide, do I want to play small ball or a more traditional lineup.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

I do not think there is a PG in the portal or one that may enter that I would take, clearly not my call.

With Cadeau, many seem to have anointed him the next great UNC PG and who knows maybe he becomes that. If he is just that then he stays with us that 1 and only season and then we have to replace him, maybe getting the other guys, especially the younger ones developed before Cadeau gets here. And if Cadeau, like so many others shows us why it is hard to run with a freshman PG then we will be glad we have guys that developed thru playing before Cadeau got there. We have a 3yr starter at the point returning that has experience in playing in the national title game, we have 2 5star players behind him in that rotation so I think 3 deep is way deep enough.

RJ Davis was the primary PG when we made a run to the national championship game. Cadeau would probably be the only player I'd be willing to take the ball out of RJ's hands for.

And keep in mind, due to future scholarship crunches created by a big 2024 recruiting class, any transfers we take probably need to be 1 year players.
Agree, Cadeau or go with the 3 we have at pg. We would not be able to get a pg worthy enough in the portal because of our current players, and future players.
I think our biggest need to answer WWJD ? Is a tie between the 3 and 4 spots.
I think Puff is an adequate backup at both spots 3/4, and Jalen is an adequate backup at the 4/5 but this team needs a major influx of athleticism and those 2 spots must be addressed.
I am comfortable with Jalen and High backing up Bacot at the 5.
I think we definitely add 2 spots and very likely a 3rd player from the portal.
I don't think we go beyond 3 additions unless Dunn or Puff decide to move on.
With the early smoke around shooting guard interest......the staff may know that Dunn is looking.
Dunn tripled his playing time this year, so If he is thinking of leaving, it is because he is worried about min his Sr year when the studs arrive.
He may be trying to get out ahead of the talent level that is coming.

My bad. Must have been in another thread. Reached out to guard Nick Timerblake from Townson, 42.7% from 3 and guard Paxon Wojcik from Brown, 38% from 3
Just looked up the Timberlake kid and he’s gotten better every year. Shot and made a lot of deep balls. Lol I first thought it was Lucas Black after seeing his photo.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Sk1310
Kamari Lands was a top 50/60 incoming freshman last year. Long 6'8 wing, was just meh last year for Louisville, but they were a mess.

After the tournament more names will probably drop.

Reason I do not see the wing (3)spot as the most important spot to fill from the portal is if we can get a really strong jump shooting 2 guard, we could be really effective with a 3 guard line up Dunn or a guy like Timberlake could fit in really well in that case. And I am not saying Timberlake is a must get, simply saying he would fit. Nor would ignore the wing position, I would just suggest our larger area of need is rugged built strong space eater physical POWER forward and a rim protector/shot blocker. We need a front court guy or 2, to go along with Bacot, that can stand toe to toe with overly physical teams and not be intimidated. I don't see that right now with Jalen and I do not expect it from the freshman High, so I see that as a big time need in our front court, could be 1 or could be 2 guys that fill that. Then yeah, I look at the wings spot and decide, do I want to play small ball or a more traditional lineup.
I think if we're pairing RJ with another small guard (Cadeau...) we need a traditional wing to not get wrecked defensively. Even if Dunn improves a lot I don't like him at the 3 with RJ at the 2.

I think the 3 will be the hardest spot to get right. We should be able to find a 4 who can at least shoot and bang in the post (the issue with Nance is he didn't space the floor OR provide plus defense). I think given the athletic limitations of the rest of the roster we need a 3 with good size, shooting ability for spacing, and defense. Not a ton of guys like that.

Last edited:
I think if we're pairing RJ with another small guard (Cadeau...) we need a traditional wing to not get wrecked defensively. Even if Dunn improves a lot I don't like him at the 3 with RJ at the 2.

I think the 3 will be the hardest spot to get right. We should be able to find a 4 who can at least shoot and bang in the post (the issue with Nance is he didn't space the floor OR provide plus defense). I think given the athletic limitations of the rest of the roster we need a 3 with good size, shooting ability for spacing, and defense. Not a ton of guys like that.
There's a real good 3 & D wing from Wichita State in the portal. 6'7" with good length, shot 40% from 3, 14 ppg, 6 rpg.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I'm suspect on lower level players being recruited for this level.

Whatever percentage they shot there take off 5% at least on this level.

Which screwed us last time.

I actually thought he and Gary were same guy with different accounts
I believe that last best estimate we had was Gary, FlaTarHeel, and FrankTheHeel are all the same person. Not sure if we have went away from that theory yet.

Once we ran Caleb Love off the board (Grover), that might have been the nail for him at UNC.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I'm suspect on lower level players being recruited for this level.

Whatever percentage they shot there take off 5% at least on this level.

Which screwed us last time.
I'd still be really happy with the Towson kid (shooting 41.6%) even if we took off 5% against ACC play. We'd have won several more games if we had more than 1 guy shooting over 36%.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
I'd still be really happy with the Towson kid (shooting 41.6%) even if we took off 5% against ACC play. We'd have won several more games if we had more than 1 guy shooting over 36%.
How many of you looked at Nances 3% at Northwestern the year before when you said this also.

How many of you looked at Nances 3% at Northwestern the year before when you said this also.
Nance was not a volume 3pt shooter at Northwestern, and he had a very flat shot with a slow release. Plus his back injury had a noticeable impact on how good he was for us.

Timberlake shot 41.6% on nearly 7 three point attempts per game. That's a fantastic percentage for a high volume shooter. If you had watched him play you would see a quick release and high arcing shot; both making it more likely he'll be able to get his shot off in the ACC.

I think you have to take a few things into account. Problem with Nance was also he was shooting wide open uncontested 3s for the most part where we want someone with a quick release who can hurt someone on the pick and pop.

I'm not saying Timberlake can't do what we want. I have seen nothing game film wise for him. But, I do think we have to be careful just looking at the numbers. One thing is, how much quickness does he have? If he doesn't have quickness to beat acc defenders off the dribble, he can be smothered without worry of being blown by. This and ofc bigger height in the ACC could make it hard to translate well.

Hopefully he would fit well, but I also don't think he is looking to transfer somewhere to backup either. So there is also that angle.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Nance was not a volume 3pt shooter at Northwestern, and he had a very flat shot with a slow release. Plus his back injury had a noticeable impact on how good he was for us.

Timberlake shot 41.6% on nearly 7 three point attempts per game. That's a fantastic percentage for a high volume shooter. If you had watched him play you would see a quick release and high arcing shot; both making it more likely he'll be able to get his shot off in the ACC.
You got game film I can look at?

Dunn tripled his playing time this year, so If he is thinking of leaving, it is because he is worried about min his Sr year when the studs arrive.
He may be trying to get out ahead of the talent level that is coming.
I hadn't thought of that point. It makes sense. I wonder how Dunn thinks about it?

Reactions: tarwhiz
I agree with a lot of that, but I worry that we may be getting too small. I like having a good small option, but I want it to be coach's choice, not because we don't have enough tall guys to fill the SF and PF positions.

Outgoing

6'11 - Pete
6'9 - Leaky
6'8 - McKoy
6'7 - Nickel
6'6 - Styles
6'4 - Love ??

Incoming

6'9 - High
6'4 - Wilcher

I think you have to take a few things into account. Problem with Nance was also he was shooting wide open uncontested 3s for the most part where we want someone with a quick release who can hurt someone on the pick and pop.

I'm not saying Timberlake can't do what we want. I have seen nothing game film wise for him. But, I do think we have to be careful just looking at the numbers. One thing is, how much quickness does he have? If he doesn't have quickness to beat acc defenders off the dribble, he can be smothered without worry of being blown by. This and ofc bigger height in the ACC could make it hard to translate well.

Hopefully he would fit well, but I also don't think he is looking to transfer somewhere to backup either. So there is also that angle.
I agree with your concerns but our shooting was so bad this year that guys were missing wide open shots and practically dared to shoot. Having someone who can hit open shots will be far and away better for us. Not only for that basket but for drawing out the defense and getting them out of Bacots lap. Or whomever plays inside.

I believe that last best estimate we had was Gary, FlaTarHeel, and FrankTheHeel are all the same person. Not sure if we have went away from that theory yet.
Has the dook board went away from your "Imajackoff" theory yet? 🤔
I haven't been on that site in over 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT