ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I don't want Jackson until 2024. I don't think he will give us the best version of himself in 1 year if he reclassed. He is one and done for sure, let's not waste it on a less than stellar year.
But is Jack really a 1&D, I know he thinks he is, I know most every UNC fans thinks he is but is he really? I very much want him to not reclass. I want him to physically mature more than he is now and I really think his jump shot has to be honed in more before he is NBA ready, not sold it transfers as easy to the college game today as it may a year from now. I see him very much as a college 3 that can play some 2, the Jack vs Powell vs Ingram battle for PT at the 3 should be interesting, looks easier to fit him at the 2 unless RJ plays that season as well (I kinda do see RJ playing all his eligibility, meaning 2 seasons remain rather than just 1, covid season included). I see him right now as more a really good driver (explosive first step) that is long and finishes at the rim extremely well, he finishes those strong attempts Caleb couldn't.

But is Jack really a 1&D, I know he thinks he is, I know most every UNC fans thinks he is but is he really? I very much want him to not reclass. I want him to physically mature more than he is now and I really think his jump shot has to be honed in more before he is NBA ready, not sold it transfers as easy to the college game today as it may a year from now. I see him very much as a college 3 that can play some 2, the Jack vs Powell vs Ingram battle for PT at the 3 should be interesting, looks easier to fit him at the 2 unless RJ plays that season as well (I kinda do see RJ playing all his eligibility, meaning 2 seasons remain rather than just 1, covid season included). I see him right now as more a really good driver (explosive first step) that is long and finishes at the rim extremely well, he finishes those strong attempts Caleb couldn't.
Agree with all of this.
I say he IS a 1 and done based upon his still maturing skillset, but mostly because of his length and elite athleticism attached to those skills.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
So I'm somewhat resigned to Cadeau coming on board. But I'd rather see how the current roster would do. The parts look like they fit really well - maybe better than we've seen at Carolina for a long time.
I disagree here.
Cadeau is the missing piece to the 23-24 roster. Hubert’s entire portal activity points towards him reclassifying and joining a stacked line-up.

And that is something I am more than ready to “resign to”

I disagree here.
Cadeau is the missing piece to the 23-24 roster. Hubert’s entire portal activity points towards him reclassifying and joining a stacked line-up.
Bingo. Hubert picked up transfers who excel at catch and shoot situations. Hubert made no effort to recruit anyone to strengthen the PG depth chart.

In Women's hoops, we have another portal pickup. Lexi Donarski. A three-year starter for the Iowa State Cyclones, and was part of their Big 12 tournament championship team this season, in which she averaged 12.1 points and 2.9 rebounds. She was also the Big 12 Defensive POY in the 21-22 season. She started all 95 games she played at Iowa State, averaging 13.2 points and 3.2 rebounds while making 196 3-pointers.

She has 2 years eligibility left.

In Women's hoops, we have another portal pickup. Lexi Donarski. A three-year starter for the Iowa State Cyclones, and was part of their Big 12 tournament championship team this season, in which she averaged 12.1 points and 2.9 rebounds. She was also the Big 12 Defensive POY in the 21-22 season. She started all 95 games she played at Iowa State, averaging 13.2 points and 3.2 rebounds while making 196 3-pointers.

Picked up a good one a few weeks ago as well, Maria Gakdeng. Average 11 & 6 last year on almost 60% shooting.

Picked up a good one a few weeks ago as well, Maria Gakdeng. Average 11 & 6 last year on almost 60% shooting.
Been watching the women's portal as well, two good pickups for the women's team, to offset the loss of Todd Williams and Adams. The conference is going to be very competitive next season with all the teams upgrading using the portal. There are some outstanding women's players in the class of 2024 in the state of NC. Just hoping that Banghart will be able to secure at least one or two of them to replace what's going to be lost after next season.

Been watching the women's portal as well, two good pickups for the women's team, to offset the loss of Todd Williams and Adams. The conference is going to be very competitive next season with all the teams upgrading using the portal. There are some outstanding women's players in the class of 2024 in the state of NC. Just hoping that Banghart will be able to secure at least one or two of them to replace what's going to be lost after next season.

Indya Nivar commits to UNC!

I agree with on Jackson. He knows this. He not trying to reclassify. He know there alot it work on. But he a super talent.

That is a HUGE pickup for Coach Banghart and the Lady Heels.

She was a top 20 recruit last year. From Apex Friendship HS.
That's fantastic news, remember when she decided to sign with Stanford could not rationalize why. Really wanted her to keep her to stay in state, but it appears that Banghart is securing some really good players from the portal this year. Going to be an exciting upcoming season for women's basketball.

I agree with on Jackson. He knows this. He not trying to reclassify. He know there alot it work on. But he a super talent.
I agree he knows there is work to do, and that for UNC next year is not the best fit probably. But the next level potential guys are ALL looking at what is the best path to max out their career in hoops, so that is the bottom line for his final decision as is the case for all college students. Prepare for your chosen field.

I agree he knows there is work to do, and that for UNC next year is not the best fit probably. But the next level potential guys are ALL looking at what is the best path to max out their career in hoops, so that is the bottom line for his final decision as is the case for all college students. Prepare for your chosen field.

Sure. But don’t forget to stop and smell the roses.

Also, “maxing out” is debatable. I would hope these guys understand there’s more to life than a paycheck. They can and should enrich their lives in others ways; through experiences and such.

Sure. But don’t forget to stop and smell the roses.

Also, “maxing out” is debatable. I would hope these guys understand there’s more to life than a paycheck. They can and should enrich their lives in others ways; through experiences and such.
Yes for sure. Though the amount these top guys are looking at (and can earn in just a few years -- not like it requires their whole life), they should probably prioritize that for the time being, especially when it's not guaranteed.

The last pick in the NBA lottery (14th pick) gets $8M guaranteed for two years of work. If my son were 12-18 months away from that I'd probably try to focus him on making sure he can get there (and I generally support a light/fun approach to sports for kids, but it's different if you're a top 10 player in the country!). Having ~$4-5M in your bank account after taxes at age 21 is life changing, even if you never played again. I would try to make sure the college he went to is helping ensure he can maximize odds of getting picked high and relatively quickly.

She was a ESPN 5 star recruit ranked 14th In high school excellant player can shoot the three and was the b12 defensive player of the year, coach bang hart is building a great team.

KU has added a point guard who beat his girlfriend, and a center who is widely regarded as the biggest douche in college hoops. Talent over team chemistry.

Reactions: heelpharm
KU has added a point guard who beat his girlfriend, and a center who is widely regarded as the biggest douche in college hoops. Talent over team chemistry.

Look, I don't want to start an argument. But this is a terrible take. Hunter seems totally like the type of guy that would get along with Arterio . . . Talent and chemistry over sportsmanship

Bill Self you're talking about.
Winning at ANY cost is par for the course when it comes to that p.o.s.

Anyone on our radar?
Depends on if they pull out of the draft. There is definitely one big name that is rumored to be entering the portal, but has not yet. And with the paperwork it could be a few more days before everyone who enters the portal is reported.

But the big thing here is all these major late additions to the portal are "focused on the draft" as of now. So we're still playing the waiting game.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Arthur Kaluma just entered..would love to have him
Focused on the draft. Likely to stay in the draft. Wouldn't be a good fit for Hubert even if he pulled out of the draft. He's a poor perimeter shooter, struggles to dribble, struggles with turnovers, but he's very athletic and a physical specimen, really strong on the boards. Basically he's a taller, stronger Dontrez Styles.

But he's definitely one of the big names to hit the portal so far today, along with Julian Phillips of Tennessee. If Roy Williams was still coaching, he would probably pursue Kaluma and Phillips both. But Hubert is in the process of remaking the roster so that it fits his system. He's adding 3pt shooting, better passing, better ball movement. I'd be surprised if he pursues any raw athletic types that struggle with outside shooting and ball handling.

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
I'd be surprised if he pursues any raw athletic types that struggle with outside shooting and ball handling.
Sounds good in theory, just remember that shooting is only one part of the game. You still have to rebound and get stops on the "other" end of the floor.
Will those that are the opposite of raw athletic types that you say he's pursuing be able to do that?
They damn sure better be or this won't end well and the naysayers will be saying, 'We told you so".👈

Sounds good in theory, just remember that shooting is only one part of the game. You still have to rebound and get stops on the "other" end of the floor.
Will those that are the opposite of raw athletic types that you say he's pursuing be able to do that?
They damn sure better be or this won't end well and the naysayers will be saying, 'We told you so".👈
We saw what Leaky Black and Dontrez Styles did in Hubert's system. The naysayers were already complaining about Leaky's offense, and basically everything Styles did.

The reality is this past season we shot the worst 3pt % in UNC basketball history, we had terrible ball movement, we had pathetically low assist numbers, and we completely abandoned the fast break. Knowing that his coaching career hangs in the balance, Hubert has spent this offseason trying to build a roster that better fits the offense he wants to run. He's grabbed 4 transfers that all shoot over 40% on catch-and-shoot 3s. Ingram is also a good rebounder and really good passer for a forward. Withers is a really good defensive rebounder. Cadeau (should he come) would drastically improve the ball movement, assists, and fast breaks.

Basically every move has been to address those awful weaknesses I pointed out above. I'd be very surprised if Hubert pursued a raw athlete. He knows he has to have a very good season this year, so he appears all in on pursuing guys that can execute his offense.

Kansas probably getting Mgbako too.. he's down to Kansas and Indiana. Kansas will be tough to beat if they get Mgbako.
I actually think that's a bad fit. Mgbako is a stretch 4 with a loose handle. KJ Adams is a traditional 4 (and Bill Self favorite.) One of those guys would be forced to play the majority of their minutes at the SF spot. I guess Mgbako plays that role since he's the superior outside shooter. But he's going to have ball handling concerns and defensive concerns playing against real wings.

I wonder if Kansas transfer Ernest Udeh would be willing to back up Armando in his soph year. He's 6'11 250 (or 6'10 230 depending on where you look). Said to be athletic with a good motor, and very efficient inside, but didn't play a lot for KU as a frosh.

Is he leaving because KU got Dickinson?

I wonder if Kansas transfer Ernest Udeh would be willing to back up Armando in his soph year. He's 6'11 250 (or 6'10 230 depending on where you look). Said to be athletic with a good motor, and very efficient inside, but didn't play a lot for KU as a frosh.

Is he leaving because KU got Dickinson?
Yes, he's leaving because KU got Dickinson. Dickinson has 2 years of eligibility and has signed some 2 year NIL deal. That would mean McDonald's All American Udeh wouldn't have a chance to start until his senior year, and that's only if Self doesn't recruit a better player for that season.

Bacot already has Washington and Withers as backups for this season.

Is HD still looking for anyone from the portal or just going with what we have
He's looking at guys who are currently in the NBA draft, as well as reclass candidates. Keep in mind there is no portal deadline for grad transfers.

The next date to watch is the deadline to pull out of the NBA draft and return to college.

Yes, he's leaving because KU got Dickinson. Dickinson has 2 years of eligibility and has signed some 2 year NIL deal. That would mean McDonald's All American Udeh wouldn't have a chance to start until his senior year, and that's only if Self doesn't recruit a better player for that season.

Bacot already has Washington and Withers as backups for this season.
6 11” 250 All American with no chance to start? Lol sounds like a poor excuse for doesn’t want to compete.

6 11” 250 All American with no chance to start? Lol sounds like a poor excuse for doesn’t want to compete.
He's extremely raw offensively and can only play 1 position. He has absolutely zero chance of beating out Hunter Dickinson the next two seasons.

I actually think that's a bad fit. Mgbako is a stretch 4 with a loose handle. KJ Adams is a traditional 4 (and Bill Self favorite.) One of those guys would be forced to play the majority of their minutes at the SF spot. I guess Mgbako plays that role since he's the superior outside shooter. But he's going to have ball handling concerns and defensive concerns playing against real wings.

Props to Mgbako for listening to me and not picking Kansas. LOL

Reactions: heelpharm
Nope. All the buzz says Timberlake to UConn, Ingram to KU, and Knecht won't even visit us.

Is it a result of how the season went? Is it poor NIL coordination from UNC athletics? Is it something to do with the recruiting pitch? Nobody seems to have those answers.

What we do know is that all recruiting momentum we had coming off the title game, which peaked with those Dec/Jan commits, is now gone. We seem to be in the process of missing the three big wing transfer targets Hubert focused on. We made an offer to a 3 star wing that appears to be directly tied to missing on those transfer recruits. We don't appear to be in a favorable position with Mgbako. There is smoke that Jarin Stevenson is slipping away. And while some people say "be patient, it's still early, maybe more options will enter the portal;" the reality is we still have 3 starting spots to fill and lots of lesser programs are cleaning up in the portal.
Are Meaning to tell me that Harrison is considering going to the Kansas Jayhawks, I hope that’s not the case cause I would prefer him to stay as well as RJ. I’m 90% sure RJ will stay due to the fact his girlfriend has got additional Covid year of eligibility. The only reason that Harrison Ingram didn’t yet a whole lot of NL recognition is because it was taken up by two players actually three Davis, Armando Bayard and Elliot Coe or the top three with Harrison coming in so Harrison and Cormac we’re on the four and five top five list so anyway, but that shouldn’t have anything to do with Harrison‘s great player he loves Carolina and unless he goes pro he should stay at CAROLINA .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT