ADVERTISEMENT

Trump admits separating families is a political stunt

Here’s a question for the libertarian, small government types here... I’m not saying I support open borders, but if someone doesn’t have a criminal record, why should a government have the right to stop them from travelling to a certain piece of land just because of where they were born? Why the sudden abandonment of free market principles when it comes to immigration?

Room and resources. You're right that we certainly have the land and resources to accommodate these people. However, that would be if they all got funneled to North Dakota and hung out there. But they won't - they'll all go to big cities, which are already overcrowded. Boston, LA, NYC, and Atlanta traffic already blows as it is - why would we then be willing to make it that much worse having even more people in those areas that aren't even in the country legally, contributing to taxes, etc? And then god forbid one of them hits my car on the highway, without car insurance or a license, now I'm out cash.

Reactions: nctransplant
Room and resources. You're right that we certainly have the land and resources to accommodate these people. However, that would be if they all got funneled to North Dakota and hung out there. But they won't - they'll all go to big cities, which are already overcrowded. Boston, LA, NYC, and Atlanta traffic already blows as it is - why would we then be willing to make it that much worse having even more people in those areas that aren't even in the country legally, contributing to taxes, etc? And then god forbid one of them hits my car on the highway, without car insurance or a license, now I'm out cash.

You’d be surprised. Most people no longer have any desire to move to many of those cities for the reasons you cited. The smaller cities are blowing up and new ones are forming all the time. I’d much rather live in Denver or even Asheville. Unless you’re filthy rich, it’s hard to live comfortably in the major cities

You’d be surprised. Most people no longer have any desire to move to many of those cities for the reasons you cited. The smaller cities are blowing up and new ones are forming all the time. I’d much rather live in Denver or even Asheville. Unless you’re filthy rich, it’s hard to live comfortably in the major cities

True. My goal is to be able to work almost exclusively remote. Psychologically it would be tough for me to move to a LCOL area because it would presumably come with a commensurate salary, which when factoring in the lower cost of everything else, would probably keep my spending power about what it is now, but it would be tough to get over that hurdle of taking what appears to be a pay cut.

However, if I play my cards right and keep my salary from a company in a HCOL area, but actually move to NC I may be able to have my cake and eat it too.

This about sums it up for me . .

Zn3mZKb.jpg

True. My goal is to be able to work almost exclusively remote. Psychologically it would be tough for me to move to a LCOL area because it would presumably come with a commensurate salary, which when factoring in the lower cost of everything else, would probably keep my spending power about what it is now, but it would be tough to get over that hurdle of taking what appears to be a pay cut.

However, if I play my cards right and keep my salary from a company in a HCOL area, but actually move to NC I may be able to have my cake and eat it too.

Yeah that’s the dream. Nowadays you can do a lot of work from home on a laptop. And then home can be a sprinter van with a mobile hot spot in the middle of a national park. Or a beach. Or wherever else you want

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
You don't actually think this situation is related to that case do you?

I'm not totally familiar with the owner's religious or moral convictions, but, he likely felt it violated something he believed in . . let her file a complaint if she so chooses.

I'm okay with it . . in fact, I truly love it.

I don't really understand this. It only helps Trump.

The fact that this happened in the deep red tRump country and not in DC, brings a great hope to myself.

Cab drivers in NY are asking those requesting delivery to a tRump property to please get out of the vehicle.

Let's keep it rollin' . . :)

I'm not totally familiar with the owner's religious or moral convictions, but, he likely felt it violated something he believed in . . let her file a complaint if she so chooses.

I'm okay with it . . in fact, I truly love it.
You should read up on the ruling. It was an extremely narrow ruling that basically said the state government didn't properly consider their own laws before making a decision. In other words, comparing the two situations is like comparing apples to oranges.

You should read up on the ruling. It was an extremely narrow ruling that basically said the state government didn't properly consider their own laws before making a decision. In other words, comparing the two situations is like comparing apples to oranges.

Let her file charges . . and btw, rumor is she is leaving anyways.

SHS is anything but narrow . . and she can take her fatass racist fvck boss with her.

I'm good with both . .

More awesome news to hear of . .

So... now the plan is to imitate the intolerant, bigoted cake bakers? Score one for the Trump administration, if that is the case.

Refusing her service is just bigoted and prejudiced. You might not like her role in government, but you serve her if she comes to your place of business to eat, or buy clothes, or whatever it is you are providing for the general public.

So... now the plan is to imitate the intolerant, bigoted cake bakers? Score one for the Trump administration, if that is the case.

Refusing her service is just bigoted and prejudiced. You might not like her role in government, but you serve her if she comes to your place of business to eat, or buy clothes, or whatever it is you are providing for the general public.

Bigotry is intolerance of people who have different beliefs than you. Prejudice is judging someone before you get to know their beliefs. Kinda hard for something to be prejudiced and bigoted at the same time.

Refusing to bake a cake for someone that passes legislation you don’t like is a lot more justifiable than refusing to bake a cake because someone happens to be sexually attracted to men.

Bigotry is intolerance of people who have different beliefs than you. Prejudice is judging someone before you get to know their beliefs. Kinda hard for something to be prejudiced and bigoted at the same time.

Refusing to bake a cake for someone that passes legislation you don’t like is a lot more justifiable than refusing to bake a cake because someone happens to be sexually attracted to men.
How about one word- Fear?

Mimic the fear... that will work out well for all of us.

ETA: And, by all means, figure out some way to mentally jump through hoops to justify your behavior as being okay, and their behavior as being reprehensible. That will also work out well for all of us.

The definition even uses both words in the sentence to illustrate the meaning. I got pretty close.

big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries
  1. intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
    "the difficulties of combating prejudice and bigotry"

How about one word- Fear?

Mimic the fear... that will work out well for all of us.

ETA: And, by all means, figure out some way to mentally jump through hoops to justify your behavior as being okay, and their behavior as being reprehensible. That will also work out well for all of us.

Yeah people are afraid, afraid that their family members are going to be deported by the same guy who hires illegal immigrants for his own projects...

I'm not jumping through hoops, that's pretty basic logic. One is discrimination towards gay people, the other is a political statement that you happen to not like. This is how social norms work. If you violate them you will pay the consequences.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-undocumented-immigrants-tower-demolish-724845

Reactions: BillyL
The definition even uses both words in the sentence to illustrate the meaning. I got pretty close.

big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries
  1. intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
    "the difficulties of combating prejudice and bigotry"

That would imply that the words mean two different things, or else that sentence would be redundant. You wouldn't say "I'm facing the difficulties of combatting my struggles and challenges."

Would I have rather had her heckled and shamed while she sat in the restaurant just like DHS Secretary Nielsen was in that DC mexican restaurant . . ? Absolutely.

It is also quite disruptive for others who are trying to enjoy a very tasty meal in a quiet atmosphere, maybe, the owner was just trying to be as polite as he could for those loyal to his business . . and Lord knows what may have been spiced up in the food & drink that she and her family had ordered.

As I poasted earlier, I'm good with the actions that the owner took last evening, actually, I'm quite ecstatic about it.

SHS is tRump's mouthpiece . . . she lies for him, fvck them both.

I don't see this as a score one for 45 and crew. To each our own I guess, if, my further prejudice towards this assclown is on exhibit for all to see, then score one for me.

It's how I roll . .

Yeah people are afraid, afraid that their family members are going to be deported by the same guy who hires illegal immigrants for his own projects...

I'm not jumping through hoops, that's pretty basic logic. One is discrimination towards gay people, the other is a political statement that you happen to not like. This is how social norms work. If you violate them you will pay the consequences.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-undocumented-immigrants-tower-demolish-724845
Keep jumping. Your intolerance is cool, theirs is wrong. You'll get plenty of respect and never be called a hypocrite going that route. Good luck.

Would I have rather had her heckled and shamed while she sat in the restaurant just like DHS Secretary Nielsen was in that DC mexican restaurant . . ? Absolutely.

It is also quite disruptive for others who are trying to enjoy a very tasty meal in a quiet atmosphere, maybe, the owner was just trying to be as polite as he could for those loyal to his business . . and Lord knows what may have been spiced up in the food & drink that she and her family had ordered.

As I poasted earlier, I'm good with the actions that the owner took last evening, actually, I'm quite ecstatic about it.

I don't see this as a score one for 45 and crew. To each our own I guess, if, my further prejudice towards this assclown is on exhibit for all to see, then score one for me.

It's how I roll . .
Treat people in kind. It's pretty simple.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Keep jumping. Your intolerance is cool, theirs is wrong. You'll get plenty of respect and never be called a hypocrite going that route. Good luck.

Yeah that was clearly me in the video kicking them out of my restaurant that I manage from Clemson, SC.

Tolerance of intolerance = intolerance.

intolerance of intolerance = tolerance.

Yeah that was clearly me in the video kicking them out of my restaurant that I manage from Clemson, SC.

Tolerance of intolerance = intolerance.

intolerance of intolerance = tolerance.
I'm heelbent today. You, not really you. Mea culpa...

I should have said "Anyone who perceives their intolerance as being justified, and other's intolerance as being bigotry (or prejudice, or WTH it is to Noah Webster), is probably going to run into a few snags along the way. And, it won't bode well for the rest of us."

Treat people the way you want to be treated = The right thing to do.

It's how I roll . .
And, just so we're clear; I'm not trying to defend Sanders' or Trump's lies, their indiscretions, their inability to be tolerant themselves. I'm simply saying that when they are shown intolerance and shown disrespect, I'm not condoning THAT behavior either.

I'm heelbent today. You, not really you. Mea culpa...

I should have said "Anyone who perceives their intolerance as being justified, and other's intolerance as being bigotry (or prejudice, or WTH it is to Noah Webster), is probably going to run into a few snags along the way. And, it won't bode well for the rest of us."

Treat people the way you want to be treated = The right thing to do.

That's just naive. Treating people how you want to be treated will get you killed in lots of situations. Treating people how they deserve to be treated works out much better for society at large. That's why we have prisons, and also why we have things like the Nobel Prize.

You keep acting like intolerance is always created equal. What you're being intolerant of matters. Should we tolerate radical islamists throwing acid in the faces of women? Why be sooooo intolerant?

That's just naive. Treating people how you want to be treated will get you killed in lots of situations. Treating people how they deserve to be treated works out much better for society at large. That's why we have prisons, and also why we have things like the Nobel Prize.

You keep acting like intolerance is always created equal. What you're being intolerant of matters. Should we tolerate radical islamists throwing acid in the faces of women? Why be sooooo intolerant?
How they deserve to be treated? Based on whose measure? Yours? Mine? The "left" or the "right?"

If I get killed by treating people in kind, I'll be perfectly fine with that exit scenario, I promise you that.

And, prison for one guy and a Nobel for another is an awful choice for comparison. Obama getting a Peace Prize is the epitome of a hypocritical society. A guy who orders the murder of a "bad person" and drone-bombs more brown people gets a Peace Prize? And, people go to jail for shit that other people get Nobel prizes for doing the same thing. (read my previous sentence)

How they deserve to be treated? Based on whose measure? Yours? Mine? The "left" or the "right?"

If I get killed by treating people in kind, I'll be perfectly fine with that exit scenario, I promise you that.

And, prison for one guy and a Nobel for another is an awful choice for comparison. Obama getting a Peace Prize is the epitome of a hypocritical society. A guy who orders the murder of a "bad person" and drone-bombs more brown people gets a Peace Prize? And, people go to jail for shit that other people get Nobel prizes for doing the same thing. (read my previous sentence)

Well I guess we can't judge murderers because you can't agree on who's standards to use... :rolleyes:

Based on an objective analysis of what is or isn't beneficial or necessary to human social cohesion. I never said anything about Obama getting the peace prize, but it looks like you do have some kind of measure figured out. Guess that wasn't so hard...

You can get yourself killed, but expecting others to do the same in the name of your naive philosophy is kind've a dick move.

There are different ways to react. Yes, you can be intolerant to intolerance but do it in the right way. MLK was extremely intolerant to racism and racist policy, but he didn't show his intolerance by getting in front of a microphone and shouting **** white people and then go hang some racist.

There are different ways to react. Yes, you can be intolerant to intolerance but do it in the right way. MLK was extremely intolerant to racism and racist policy, but he didn't show his intolerance by getting in front of a microphone and shouting **** white people and then go hang some racist.

And asking someone to leave a privately owned restaurant is equivalent to getting in front of a microphone and shouting **** white people and then hanging a racist?

This is about as mild as the consequences can get it. Definitely better than just shouting at them and disrupting dinner for all of the other patrons. Maybe they were just tired of acting like "snowflakes."

Well I guess we can't judge murderers because you can't agree on who's standards to use... :rolleyes:

Based on an objective analysis of what is or isn't beneficial or necessary to human social cohesion. I never said anything about Obama getting the peace prize, but it looks like you do have some kind of measure figured out. Guess that wasn't so hard...

You can get yourself killed, but expecting others to do the same in the name of your naive philosophy is kind've a dick move.
You can judge whomever you wish! We all do it. We have created all manner of refined ways to judge and condemn and punish people for everything imaginable. It's happening all the time.

In this line of discussion, for example; It's now considered okay, or acceptable, to deny a woman who is the press secretary for the US President service at a business establishment. From what I can gather, you are claiming that she "deserves it." But, when another business person has intolerance for a customer's sexual behavior, that is unacceptable intolerance. Now, I think BOTH businesses should provide service to the people in question.

If Sanders had to be admitted to the ER/hospital, and the hospital administrator, or even ER doctor hated her politics, they'd still have to give her medical attention. I hope they would, anyway.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT