ADVERTISEMENT

Trump admits separating families is a political stunt

That's fine. You keep playing Switzerland, and other people will actually fight back. There are better approaches, but if you're a restaurant owner, and this is your only chance to make a statement against this administration, then I'm certainly not going to knock you for trying.

At worst this was a mild inconvenience for their party. They could easily drive to half a dozen establishments within a 30 minute radius that would gladly serve them and possibly even comp them their meals, or at the very least a few rounds of drinks. Yet you're willing to compare this to the experience of black folks in the Jim Crow era south. This reminds me of the Trump vs Hitler comparison...
Yes, I am willing to compare them. The gay couple could have gone to where they knew the bakers were not prejudiced toward them. But, in our society, they shouldn't have to do that. Sanders shouldn't be refused service at a public restaurant. Donald Trump shouldn't be denied it, either.

The blacks in the Jim Crow South are not identical to Sanders. But, their refusal of service based on the establishment owner's "not liking them" is close enough to identical to me. The result was identical... they were refused service and it created an uproar. The owner wanted her gone because they didn't like what she stood for, or whatever the problem was. I'm trying to call out the rude and shameful behavior against ALL people, not just the ones I agree with. That's not like Switzerland.

This doesn't remind me of Trump vs. Hitler at all.

Reactions: tarheel0910
But I don't know that she had a better opportunity. They wouldn't have given a shit about anything she had to say and we both know it.
Probably, but I'm sure kicking her out didn't help her cause. Even if they didn't listen, no harm would have been done. By kicking them out all she did was make the divide between the sides deeper and pissed off Trump. And that means the chances of something worse happening goes up significantly.

The owner of the Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia explained why she ejected White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders from the establishment on Friday evening.

Speaking with The Washington Post, owner Stephanie Wilkinson acknowledged that she may have threatened the economic health of her small business with her principled stand, but said she would do it again.

“I’m not a huge fan of confrontation,” Wilkinson said. “I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals.”

Wilkinson recounted how she was at home when she got a call informing her that Sanders was dining at the Red Hen, under a reservation made in her husband’s name. She raced to the business to investigate.

Wilkinson explained that she queried her employees about what to do, knowing several employees were gay and all the staff had all watched the press secretary evade questions while defending Trump’s border separation policy.

“Tell me what you want me to do. I can ask her to leave,” she told her employees. “They said yes.”

The owner politely asked Sanders to step out on the patio “for a word.”

Probably, but I'm sure kicking her out didn't help her cause. Even if they didn't listen, no harm would have been done. By kicking them out all she did was make the divide between the sides deeper and pissed off Trump. And that means the chances of something worse happening goes up significantly.

Sounds like she politely asked them to leave. If Sanders didn't report it then it would've never had any public effect.

Sarah Fvckabee Sanders knows how much she's hated. That's why she didn't use her name for the reservation! Everyone in the Trump administration is hated, some more than others. Pruitt said that the public's objection to him is why he needs to fly first class, LOL.

We need more Stephanie Wilkinsons in this world . .

Many thanks, Ms. Wilkinson. May God Bless . .

Sarah Fvckabee Sanders knows how much she's hated. That's why she didn't use her name for the reservation! Everyone in the Trump administration is hated, some more than others. Pruitt said that the public's objection to him is why he needs to fly first class, LOL.

Lol apparently younger Trump staffers have been complaining that they can't get dates in Washington...

large.jpg

Reactions: BillyL
Sounds like she politely asked them to leave. If Sanders didn't report it then it would've never had any public effect.
She would have to be really naive to think it wouldn't get out. She missed an opportunity to possibly make a difference, even if the chances of that happening we're infinitesimal. Most of the time the chances of a big change happening are small. Take every opportunity you can get.

That's fine. You keep playing Switzerland, and other people will actually fight back. There are better approaches, but if you're a restaurant owner, and this is your only chance to make a statement against this administration, then I'm certainly not going to knock you for trying.

At worst this was a mild inconvenience for their party. They could easily drive to half a dozen establishments within a 30 minute radius that would gladly serve them and possibly even comp them their meals, or at the very least a few rounds of drinks. Yet you're willing to compare this to the experience of black folks in the Jim Crow era south. This reminds me of the Trump vs Hitler comparison...
There never was a Hitler Trump comparison. There was a US now, and Germany in the 20’s and 30’s comparison.

She would have to be really naive to think it wouldn't get out. She missed an opportunity to possibly make a difference, even if the chances of that happening we're infinitesimal. Most of the time the chances of a big change happening are small. Take every opportunity you can get.

You’re assuming she didn’t make a difference. I don’t know that she didn’t. She took a tremendous risk and if more people stand up against this administration then it will have had a positive impact.

I have zero interest in negotiating with trumps administration. Once he is voted out/impeached then I’d be happy to negotiate with the sane conservatives. A discussion would have been a waste of time, this is much more likely to have a positive effect.

There never was a Hitler Trump comparison. There was a US now, and Germany in the 20’s and 30’s comparison.
Yeah. Saying Trump and his supporters are like Nazis is completely different than a Trump Hitler comparison. Not sure why someone would think of Hitler when the Nazis are brought up.

I meant it reminds me of you trying to compare the two of them. Overly simplistic comparisons
You can claim it's overly-simplistic all you want. I still believe that denying people service based on how you feel about their politics, race, creed, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation is wrong.

as 0910 said, the owner made something out of nothing. And, from Billy's detail on the situation, she- the owner- went out of her way to create a scene. She wasn't even at the restaurant. Sanders wasn't being belligerent or anything. Her husband made reservations and they were eating. And, she came from her home, to the restaurant, to remove her from the restaurant because they don't like her. To me, that is wrong.

When you kidnap children at the border in an attempt to deter immigration we've gone beyond a political difference. You keep refusing to acknowledge that point, but that's okay.

When you kidnap children at the border in an attempt to deter immigration we've gone beyond a political difference. You keep refusing to acknowledge that point, but that's okay.
I am in complete disagreement with what I have heard/seen is occurring at the border with children and their parents. My remedy would not include stripping the individuals in the Trump administration of their personal freedoms and rights. It also doesn't include cheering-on those who are doing that. I'd rather not strengthen their (Trump and Co.'s) resolve for doing what I already know I disagree with.

I am in complete disagreement with what I have heard/seen is occurring at the border with children and their parents. My remedy would not include stripping the individuals in the Trump administration of their personal freedoms and rights. It also doesn't include cheering-on those who are doing that. I'd rather not strengthen their (Trump and Co.'s) resolve for doing what I already know I disagree with.

lol nobody stripped them of their personal freedoms or rights.

I believe the owner of The red Hen acted admirably, she supported her employees, was polite enough to have a quiet word with HuckaBeast and was more than willing to suffer any blowback for her actions. Kudos to her. The employees had watched SHS stand at the podium and voice her support for the baker that refused service to a gay couple. You know, 'Do Unto Others' . . . and btw, I recall Ivanka Trump requesting the owner of a DC establishment asking that a person of Mexican heritage be removed because his presence bothered her shortly after Team 45 came to Washington.
Joe Biden was not allowed in a Virginia bakery.

. . and I saw a tweet that indicated that another restaurant (The Southern Inn) refused service to the Sanders group as well. I hope this is true as well . .

'We refuse the right to refuse service to anyone' is not a one-way street . . . and that goes for the Nazis and child snatchers that currently inhabit the White House as well.

What a great week this has been . . Nielsen and Miller shouted and heckled out of DC establishments and lying ass Suckabee refused service in Lexington.

Speaking of Suckabees . . Ol' Daddy Suckabee tweeted a racist message yesterday . . and then later condemned The Red Hen for refusing to serve his daughter . .

Hey @strummingram, remember that discussion you and @uncboy10 were having about Mark Twain? Apparently they've decided to expand the damnation to women as well.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/lau...-removed-award-racism-concerns-221528580.html
Laura Ingalls Wilder??? Half-pint? Little House On The Prairie?

That's so strange, really. Classic literature?

I mean, I realize that by today's standards a lot of antebellum literature, and even a lot since then, is steeped in subject matter and attitudes that aren't how we think and feel today... most of us. I just don't understand the compulsion to punish people now for something that wasn't "wrong" when they wrote it, painted it, sculpted it, whatever. It's not like it will erase it from having ever occurred. All you need to do is put it into the proper context and realize that was then and this is now.

Had a fun exchange I'll share:

Two uber-liberal friends of mine and I were having dinner last Thursday, and we were talking about Richmond, VA (one of them lived there for about 8 years during the 90's). Anyway, she said "Oh, by the way, sorry to tell you that Richmond Public School Board voted the elementary school to be changed from your great-great Uncle (JEB Stuart) to Barack Obama Elementary School." She was trying to get in a little jab, because she thinks the names should all be changed. I don't care if they change it. She said "The statue on Monument Avenue is safe, for now, I'm sure." The other friend is more of HER friend than mine, even though we've known each other for a while. SHE says "Who is his uncle?" I said "JEB Stuart, the confederate general- my middle name is Stuart, my grandfather's middle name is Stuart and he was named for his great uncle who was JEB Stuart, the general." She got wide-eyed and said "Wow! That must really suck!" I said "well, no... My grandfather never taught me to be racist, and he never knew the general and had no choice in his name. But, he wasn't ashamed of it at all. I feel sure there are lots more Stuart's, and Lee's and Jackson's and Forrest's and Davis's that descended from those people, and none of them are racists now, either."

I live near Lexington. I think I might take a trip over and have some fun with the Red Hen folks. I’ll borrow my brother-in-law’s Trump shirt when I go. Maybe I’ll take my BIL with me. He’s the epitome of a gun-toting, southern Trump supporter. And he’s a loudmouth. This might be fun.

I live near Lexington. I think I might take a trip over and have some fun with the Red Hen folks. I’ll borrow my brother-in-law’s Trump shirt when I go. Maybe I’ll take my BIL with me. He’s the epitome of a gun-toting, southern Trump supporter. And he’s a loudmouth. This might be fun.
Please record it.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Let us know how that goes.

Yes, but in those cases the children are not also imprisoned for the crimes their parents commit.

Idiot.

So, if a single parent is at home and selling drugs, pussy or both and gets busted at home and arrested, the child should be a). taken with parent to jail; b). given to CPS to be taken care of or; c). left at house alone.

Yeah they would for sure detain and incarcerate your children if you broke the law. That’s definitley how things work.

Children aren't allowed to roam around aimlessly without parental guidance. How can they be "detained and incarcerated"? What should be done with the children of law breakers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT