ADVERTISEMENT

UNC is aiming for Cameron Johnson

imajericho

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Pittsburgh
Transfer from Pitt.

I personally do not want him and I thought there was an unwritten rule between the ACC to not take xfers in conference?

I don't know about any "unwritten rule". Only issue I have is that he may not be immediately eligible, due to transfer rules. He's a 6'8 Guard, according to ESPN. Sounds like he shoots the 3 really well, too. I'd take him.

Encouraging to see Roy pursue multiple options for once. Hope he's seriously trying to get him. Good back up plan for Kevin Knox.

EDIT: Per The Article: Originally Kevin Stallings and Pitt had blocked Johnson from transferring to any ACC schools

EDIT 2: IIRC, a grad. transfer can go anywhere as long as the university he/she transfers to doesn't have the same major. Not entirely sure on that one.

https://keepingitheel.com/2017/05/1...xpress-interest-in-pitt-transfer-cam-johnson/

Cam can play. He'd get significant minutes for us next season. Sign me up.

Cam Johnson is a GRAD TRANSFER first of all. He is immediately available.

He was going to Kentucky before Knox. Now Arizona is the front runner if Rawle Alkins goes to the draft.

Cam Johnson is not that good. He may play some for us and we have the scholarship.

Cam Johnson is a GRAD TRANSFER first of all. He is immediately available.

He was going to Kentucky before Knox. Now Arizona is the front runner if Rawle Alkins goes to the draft.

Cam Johnson is not that good. He may play some for us and we have the scholarship.

Gotta disagree there...guy put up 12 and 4 on 46/42/81 in the ACC. Also passes the eye test when you watch him play. Plus, he's 6'8''.

He'd get 20 min for us.

Reactions: BillyL
He would be a good get for next season.. would help us on the perimeter and I remember him playing very well against us. Would certainly help depth and shooting wise. Sign me up.

Reactions: BillyL
Pretty sure he dropped 20 points on us last season in a pretty close game.

"Not that good" my ass.

It seems like the only players people around here like are 3 star recruits.

In the past week we've had people crap on Knox, Tony Bradley, and Cam.

Bottom line is Cam can certainly help us in the next 2 seasons, esp if we lose Bradley.

Reactions: RoseHeel
It seems like the only players people around here like are 3 star recruits.

Bottom line is Cam can certainly help us in the next 2 seasons, esp if we lose Bradley.
I am just consistent. I live in Pittsburgh. Pitt is my 2nd team. I have watched them a lot. I do not think Cam Johnson is a good fit for us based on what I saw at Pittsburgh.

I am just consistent. I live in Pittsburgh. Pitt is my 2nd team. I have watched them a lot. I do not think Cam Johnson is a good fit for us based on what I saw at Pittsburgh.

I'm curious, why? I've watched him maybe a dozen times and saw a solid guy who can shoot it pretty well with size.

I'm sure you've seen him more living in Pitt.

If Tony leaves and we cant rely on 3 frosh bigs and Luke to play 80 minutes, could this kid play the small 4, or man the 3 ahead of BRob while Theo plays small 4? If so, definitely gives us a ton of flexibility and lessens the burden on our project bigs.

There were a handful of disparaging remarks about Knox, but mainly about his prolonged recruitment. And I've seen very little in the way of criticizing Tony. Many feel it would behoove him to return and we all certainly hope he does.

As for Johnson, if Roy thinks he'd be a good fit, I'd welcome him with open arms. He certainly appears to be talented enough to help us, especially if Tony stays in the draft. As Ned says, he'd give us flexibility and enable us to play small ball with a pretty tall lineup.

Can't say I get this. Isn't the greatest need in the front court, esp if Tony doesn't come back? And by that I mean experienced, banging, muscle down low..... Sure Johnson is 6-8 but it seems he projects as mainly a wing forward with possible stretch 4 potential.

It could be an indication of Roy's confidence in the 9 stars of big coming in.... or at least his feeling that one or more of those guys are going to be able to hold down the middle while Tony grinds it out in the d-league.

I also worry how this would affect minutes/development for BRob and the other young guards/wings.

But, as many have said, I'm a looooong way from Roy's office so who knows what the staff is thinking.... there's gotta be a method to it.

Gotta disagree there...guy put up 12 and 4 on 46/42/81 in the ACC. Also passes the eye test when you watch him play. Plus, he's 6'8''.

He'd get 20 min for us.
He's better than Knox would be as a freshman.

Can't say I get this. Isn't the greatest need in the front court, esp if Tony doesn't come back? And by that I mean experienced, banging, muscle down low..... Sure Johnson is 6-8 but it seems he projects as mainly a wing forward with possible stretch 4 potential.

It could be an indication of Roy's confidence in the 9 stars of big coming in.... or at least his feeling that one or more of those guys are going to be able to hold down the middle while Tony grinds it out in the d-league.

I also worry how this would affect minutes/development for BRob and the other young guards/wings.

But, as many have said, I'm a looooong way from Roy's office so who knows what the staff is thinking.... there's gotta be a method to it.
Roy has stated the freshman bigs aren't ready for ACC competition. I can't post it here , but it is well known. They are basically 15 fouls to give.

I'm curious, why? I've watched him maybe a dozen times and saw a solid guy who can shoot it pretty well with size.

I'm sure you've seen him more living in Pitt.
Like I told the Kentucky fans gushing over him when he was favored there. On paper Cam Johnsom should be a monster. However, he is an open spot jump shooter who seemed to lack a lot of game IQ as a third scorer. When he was zeroed in on, he basically could not score or penetrate aka when Artis and Young were not really on the court to take the load. Disappears a lot.

His size and 3% scream monster on paper. He isn't though. I said he would never see a minute at UK and he wouldn't. He would probably see spot duty here. Not gonna start. He could start at Zona if that hole falls thru.

Reactions: dadika13
The reason why it doesn't hurt because of Bradley comes back we still have one scholly left which goes to Rush if unused. If Bradley doesn't we have Rush and another scholly unused.

Just don't expect a starter out of it.

I think Roy stating the freshmen aren't ready for ACC competition is coach speak to inspire them to work very hard this summer. Inside he's grinning.

I think Roy is being up front with how he feels.

How many frosh bigs come in and struggle big time at other schools? Many. Even ones that are considered to be much more ready to play at this level. Skal never developed at UK, Jarrett Allen struggled big time early last year, Gabriel, Bolden, Huell, Omer, Udoka before the injury. That's just last year, it happens all the time and these guys were studs coming into college.

It's just a much more difficult adjustment for a big to get to ACC level and I think Roy is being realistic.

That's because those 3 have something in common - none will be playing for UNC next year. Objective evaluation is a rare find around here. As long as a player is playing for UNC, he's the bees knees. If he goes elsewhere - nobody likes him anymore.

As to , Cam Johnson, kind of a no lose situation, 2 seasons of eligibility at a position of need and a shooter at the wing. Great player, maybe not but a kid that has een thru the ACC and played pretty well at times. Would let us put off worry about wings until 2019 class where there is much more to pull from. I don't think we get him so point is likely mute.

Now as for our incoming freshman bigs, it is funny, say good things about them and some want to take that as our liking them more than a higher rated kid. Say something about Tony that is not over glowing in praise and some want to take that as being negative toward the kid? Well excuse me if I like a lot of what I see in our incoming big men and excuse me if I am not ready to anoint Tony as the new Tim Duncan, Beg your pardon if that offends ya but just getting Tony back does not insure we will be a final 4 team, Tony has a ton that needs a lot of work. Excuse me as well if I do not really like his saying he is a stretch 4 that should have been allowed to shoot more treys as a frosh. Not sure I really like where Tony's head seems to be right now and I personally would rather we not have to deal with another version of a soph Ed Davis and the drama that brought. Not saying that is where Tony's head is but his recent comments strike me as a bit concerning.

Tony says he considers himself a stretch 4 with NBA three point range??? Really, I sure didn't see any of that this past season, I did see a kid that struggled to stay with guys up top so much that Roy had to go to Luke as the first 4 off the bench and very rarely had both Meeks and Tony in together because neither had the foot speed or quickness to recover off hedges or stay with typical power forwards.

Beg your pardon if that offends ya but just getting Tony back does not insure we will be a final 4 team,

Show me where anyone ensured that we'd be a final 4 team? Final Four caliber team, absolutely, but I don't think any rational fan guarantees final 4's in May. Unless you're 2016 Duke fans :)

A few of us have just noticed that the closer Tony gets to staying in the draft suddenly some fans have all of these negatives to say about his game. The same ones that were praising him all season.

If he goes, he goes. Doesn't make him any less of a player or any less valuable to our 2017 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. Still feels great to say.

Not sure Roy ever expects too much out of any freshman he recruits and plays initially. Some of the bigs that went elsewhere were asked to step in and do a lot whereas Roy's team approach usually helps limit undue pressure/expectations on our guys.

Sure is a lot of angst on this board - so much living and dying over these kids.

Not sure Roy ever expects too much out of any freshman he recruits and plays initially. Some of the bigs that went elsewhere were asked to step in and do a lot whereas Roy's team approach usually helps limit undue pressure/expectations on our guys.

Sure is a lot of angst on this board - so much living and dying over these kids.

I think it's just discussion.

I know for me personally, this natty has really eased up on any expectations I have for next season. If we make a run, great. If not, it's technically a rebuilding year.

He is too inconsistent for what I think people will expect out of him wherever he goes. I like the potential of our guys better. He can shoot the ball though and that is never a bad thing.

Tony said he was a stretch 4? What did we miss this year because some of the stuff that has come from his "camp" aka "dad" is beyond illogical. Kinda reminds me of John Henson wanting to be a 3 when he got to UNC. That was a clusterf*ck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT