ADVERTISEMENT

UNC probably needs one player is this class

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Yes this season Carolina with the two new recruits will be really loaded and a tough task for any opponent who matches up with the Heels but saying that I think with the possible mass exodus of much of the team next spring if UNC wins it all that thinking of the future with at least one scholarship available that a big man should be under consideration even if he is a project player.

Let me break it down in layman terms. James, Johnson and Paige have no eligibility left after this year.

With any kind of year both Meeks and Jackson will also be leaving for better opportunities in a higher level of ball.

And if Berry and Hicks have monster years they might also consider leaving for the NBA.

So in a nutshell UNC could easily have most of their expierenced front court wearing colors other than the Carolina Blue come late spring.

Even if the extra big was only used as a practice play he could at least learn the complicated Carolina system and be available for the next season.

There is absolutely no guarantee that Carolina will get Giles or Bam Bam so I would rather bring someone on board now then to just roll the dice in hopes of landing one or both of those players.

Yes I will say it again that this is going to be a fun year if you are a diehard Carolina fan but if everybody I mentioned above leave and the coaching staff strike out with Giles and Bam Bam the following year might be one to forget.

What do you think and feel about Carolina not waiting to next year to use the one scholarship still available?

Meeks, Berry and Hicks are going nowhere. Jackson is iffy, unless he has a huge breakout year.

All that aside, I would LOVE to see us land a quality Big Man for this class, a True Center.

Would love to have him!!

Me too. Although I do feel comfortable saying that I think we'll get Bam Bam and Bradley in the 2016 class. Giles would be nice, but I'm not counting on it and I wouldn't freak out if we still landed the two other Bigs I mentioned.

But I get the OP's point. To get a 7 footer, four star in the system and have him in practice for a year would be HUGE. Bam Bam is not a center. He's strong, rugged and aggressive, but he'll only play center in a pinch. Bradley is a center but he'll be a freshman and I don't believe he'd be ready to carry the load in the ACC as a freshman that's more finesse than power/strength. I do think Meeks will still be on board because he's just not going to be athletic enough to garner a ton of NBA attention.

Right now, we seem to have the best chance with Bradley out of all our big men recruits. Other than that, it's anyone's guess who Carolina will sign.

With any kind of year both Meeks and Jackson will also be leaving for better opportunities in a higher level of ball.

And if Berry and Hicks have monster years they might also consider leaving for the NBA.

Right now, Jackson is the only guy you can really say has a shot at leaving early. He finished last season strong (13.6 pts, 54% fg, and 41% (14-34) from 3 over his last 10 games) and should have a nice year. I would not count on a third year.
Meeks barely improved last year and was non-existent at the end of the year.
Hicks and Berry have shown very little so far (Berry mainly due to lack of PT). Heck, put Britt and Pinson down as gone if they have Monster years too.

2016-17 seems like
Meeks
Hicks - Maye
Pinson
Williams
Berry - Britt

Roy is going to need at least 3 top 20 recruits plus one or two Top 50 guys next year or that season will be tough.

CC

I am beginning to worry about Bam Bam and have been worried about Giles since during Pinson's commitment he took off the UNC cap as soon as Pinson placed it on his(Giles) head.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
For what's it worth....I think talk of Jackson leaving early is silly...he certainly could if he wanted to! I just think that he is a solid kid who put's a big value on education and the process....I think he stays 4 years!

I am beginning to worry about Bam Bam and have been worried about Giles since during Pinson's commitment he took off the UNC cap as soon as Pinson placed it on his(Giles) head.

What is making you not feel good about Bam Bam? I will admit that Kansas has ramped up their involvement and that does worry me a little because Self has been slaying the recruiting trail recently. But I still think he's ours to lose.

What is making you not feel good about Bam Bam? I will admit that Kansas has ramped up their involvement and that does worry me a little because Self has been slaying the recruiting trail recently. But I still think he's ours to lose.

mama likes moou. :confused:

Right now, Jackson is the only guy you can really say has a shot at leaving early. He finished last season strong (13.6 pts, 54% fg, and 41% (14-34) from 3 over his last 10 games) and should have a nice year. I would not count on a third year.
Meeks barely improved last year and was non-existent at the end of the year.
Hicks and Berry have shown very little so far (Berry mainly due to lack of PT). Heck, put Britt and Pinson down as gone if they have Monster years too.

2016-17 seems like
Meeks
Hicks - Maye
Pinson
Williams
Berry - Britt

Roy is going to need at least 3 top 20 recruits plus one or two Top 50 guys next year or that season will be tough.

CC

It is a CRUCIAL recruiting class, not only because we're going to desperately need bodies but because of the instate talent in that class. I know there are strong differences of opinion regarding how much the NCAA investigation is affecting our recruiting. I'm in the camp that believes it is hurting us badly. If we strike out on Giles and Bam Bam both, I don't think it will be a moot point anymore.

If my count is correct, once Maye was given a ship for 2015(wasn't promised for 2015 but got one when we missed on brown/ingram,etc). That was the 13th ship for the year and we wouldn't have one avail for the Big man project. (this is all assuming that L Davis and White have a ship)

My math skills are not all that great but I do believe 3 seniors were on last years team: Simmons, Davis and Seymore and if that is the case then at least one scholarship should be available so a forward with any type of skills could and would be a welcomed addition...

My math skills are not all that great but I do believe 3 seniors were on last years team: Simmons, Davis and Seymore and if that is the case then at least one scholarship should be available so a forward with any type of skills could and would be a welcomed addition...

Hubert.

I thought Hubert, Simmons and Davis were scholarship seniors. but even without JP I count 10 current players plus May and Williams (someone must have been walking on last year, not counting Seymore who was a morehead scholar)

Thus, just one scholly is open for next season.

In 12 months Paige, Johnson and James graduate/exhaust their eligibility.

If Roy signs no one else there'll be at least 4 scholly's available after next season, more if someone like Justin/Kennedy/Berry jumps.

So, Roy could afford to take one more player now - likely a real project player, or try to get the top talent plus high-end back-ups next year. (a couple of OAD's + 2AD/3AD's)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT