ADVERTISEMENT

***UNC VS KENTUCKY - OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

He was bad tonight for sure….but don’t single out him….who on the team played any defense tonight? Did you see that little guard burn RJ and whoever the hell was trying to guard him including Mando.
We couldn’t throw it in the ocean and we got bullied down low. All our big men got bullied.
And we got out hustled…..our entires team got out hustled bad…..so please don’t boil this ass whooping down to one player
He has every right to call out Caleb Love, you act like this was the first time his effort has been historically non-existent. If he wants to be the Big Dog NBA stud, THIS SHIT CANNOT CONTINUE!!!! Leader? Not by a long shot!
Talent galore, ❤ Not so much!

I’ve been hoping I was wrong, but all signs at this time point to this. I think once he gets his own team in 3 years, and if we still see the same results in 2 years he will be out. That’s a long time to give him. I’m interested in seeing how he matches up with Scheyer at duck next year.
I love Hubert but there were some factors in his hiring that should not have been part of the hiring process.
The best man for the job should have been hired not a Carolina guy ! This feels like Matt Doherty all over again !

Being 1-12 from three is bad. But, that's not where the game was lost. The team is disjointed. The coaches are learning, the players are just... lost. The head coach has never been a head coach!
We were bad is all areas, when I saw that possession where Kentucky got like 6 offensive rebounds in one series….I knew we were done. We already knew we can’t guard small quick guards but our bigs lack of toughness was exposed tonight.

Also like Gary and I have been preaching….. you have to have multiple defenses…..you got to have a secondary break….you have to play inside out…not inside and the ball never come back out. What are we now…. a half court team?
Yeap Hubert got some learning to do also

Reactions: jeans1515
The head coach has never been a head coach!
Neither had Dean nor Roy when he joined KU. Nor Mark Few. He wouldn't have been my first choice, but he is our HC and it's 11 games into season 1. I know it was a super disheartening loss, but I'm not ready to holler about Davis yet. He didn't even pick most of these players. They are a super talented team on paper so I was hoping for better than we've seen so far for sure.

He has every right to call out Caleb Love, you act like this was the first time his effort has been historically non-existent. If he wants to be the Big Dog NBA stud, THIS SHIT CANNOT CONTINUE!!!! Leader? Not by a long shot!
Talent galore, ❤ Not so much!
Got no problem calling him out…lol at my first sentence……but I don’t want to pretend like anybody else was any better on defense or effort.

I love Hubert but there were some factors in his hiring that should not have been part of the hiring process.
The best man for the job should have been hired not a Carolina guy ! This feels like Matt Doherty all over again !
I felt, and feel, the same way, and so far it looks like I am right. And believe me I want to eat Crow in the worst way. We are closer to an 8-20 team than we are to a 20-8 team by far. And I hope I eat my words!

Neither had Dean nor Roy when he joined KU. Nor Mark Few. He wouldn't have been my first choice, but he is our HC and it's 11 games into season 1. I know it was a super disheartening loss, but I'm not ready to holler about Davis yet. He didn't even pick most of these players. They are a super talented team on paper so I was hoping for better than we've seen so far for sure.
I just said he was learning, which he is. I wasn't calling for his resignation.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Only Bacot played well today. Really curious to see how we change things up now. I'd be disappointed if we played a short 7 man rotation against App State. Let's see what other guys can do or at least put pressure on the starters to do better.
Bacot scored well…..but defensively….no one played well…not even Leaky

Reactions: gauchoheel
HD hasn’t done any coaching or developing this year. He throws players out and crosses his fingers. He’s currently lost and hasn’t a clue. This team is trash and will be lucky to make tourney!

Hubert has more talent than last year and more experienced guards yet the team seems worse than last year. That points to coaching and the philosophy changes imo. I’ve seen enough through 11 games to be very concerned about the future.

Reactions: gkss
candidly, i wanted to give Roy and company all the excuses in the world. these kids are different, covid, etc. But the harsh reality is the other great programs have found a way to remain relevant and we have not. there’s really no more excuses at this point.

1. we were all talking about how good we’ve been defensively the last few weeks. truth is we played non p5 teams that are likely bottom half of their league and we didn’t blow them out. we couldn’t guard or give consistent effort against a marginally good kentucky team.
2. RJ Davis looks great against mediocre competition but disappears against anybody with talent. Caleb Love is the “worst, best player on the team” we’ve had in a long time. i don’t just mean that from a talent perspective but more so a leadership and effort perspective. not just him, but numerous times today there’s a loose ball and he actually backs away from it. watch it back if you dare but it happened and it says a lot about who he is.
3. we’ve got to figure out a way to be more productive on the boards. i get we aren’t playing 2 traditinal bigs but damn the 2nd chance points were embarrassing today. kentucky got 3-4 shots with regularity on possessions.
4. hubert looks like somebody who hasn’t ever been a head coach. i want to
be positive but i’m also a realist and i don’t see overwhelming talent that can mask what are natural growing pains for a new coach. i fear this gets worse before it gets better. i also fear that this is actually our version of good aka beating teams we should beat and then losing to anybody decent to good.

Hubert has more talent than last year and more experienced guards yet the team seems worse than last year. That points to coaching and the philosophy changes imo. I’ve seen enough through 11 games to be very concerned about the future.
Agreed. I am quite worried we may see an extended time of mediocrity that State fans are used to since Jimmy V was fired. I still say we hired the wrong guy, and I blame Roy for this mess, along with other issues that shouldn’t have been a part of a coaching search. Having said that I hope I am proved wrong. I’ve always liked Hubs, but not as the HC

Reactions: heels05champs
Yep, HD won’t be around long!

candidly, i wanted to give Roy and company all the excuses in the world. these kids are different, covid, etc. But the harsh reality is the other great programs have found a way to remain relevant and we have not. there’s really no more excuses at this point.

1. we were all talking about how good we’ve been defensively the last few weeks. truth is we played non p5 teams that are likely bottom half of their league and we didn’t blow them out. we couldn’t guard or give consistent effort against a marginally good kentucky team.
2. RJ Davis looks great against mediocre competition but disappears against anybody with talent. Caleb Love is the “worst, best player on the team” we’ve had in a long time. i don’t just mean that from a talent perspective but more so a leadership and effort perspective. not just him, but numerous times today there’s a loose ball and he actually backs away from it. watch it back if you dare but it happened and it says a lot about who he is.
3. we’ve got to figure out a way to be more productive on the boards. i get we aren’t playing 2 traditinal bigs but damn the 2nd chance points were embarrassing today. kentucky got 3-4 shots with regularity on possessions.
4. hubert looks like somebody who hasn’t ever been a head coach. i want to
be positive but i’m also a realist and i don’t see overwhelming talent that can mask what are natural growing pains for a new coach. i fear this gets worse before it gets better. i also fear that this is actually our version of good aka beating teams we should beat and then losing to anybody decent to good.
Here is what I would add…when ALL our guards and Leaky got blown passed by that little guard…..that little guard was just laying the ball in the hoop….where was our rim protector?

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Here is what I would add…when ALL our guards and Leaky got blown passed by that little guard…..that little guard was just laying the ball in the hoop….where was our rim protector?
This team doesn’t have one….. Not a true jump above the rim a foot protector. No “enforcer” on the floor either.

Ugh, I hate when people say this. I could give you thousands of examples of new coaches failing. Almost all of them do. Past results don't guarantee future results.
Huh? I'm not saying they do. But when the stat provided can also be applied to our last two all-time great coaches, I don't think it holds too much water.

So did I, a couple weeks ago. Incredibly piss poor use of what is a very talented team on paper ..
How would you use the talent differently?? This roster has major flaws mainly the lack of a true point. Love doesn’t play hard and could care less about defense. Davis is just a dribbling black hole that’s too small to finish. Problem is you can’t bench them cause there’s nobody to bring in. Ant and Leaky are offensively challenged. Kerwin can’t even make a simple pass without it being stolen. Garcia just wants to shoots 3’s and can’t rebound cause he’s softer than charmin… it’s not going to get much better unless Hubert sacrifices a win to prove a point and teach the team a lesson

How would you use the talent differently?? This roster has major flaws mainly the lack of a true point. Love doesn’t play hard and could care less about defense. Davis is just a dribbling black hole that’s too small to finish. Problem is you can’t bench them cause there’s nobody to bring in. Ant and Leaky are offensively challenged. Kerwin can’t even make a simple pass without it being stolen. Garcia just wants to shoots 3’s and can’t rebound cause he’s softer than charmin… it’s not going to get much better unless Hubert sacrifices a win to prove a point and teach the team a lesson
What point will he teach? Love, RJ, Harris nor Leaky could guard that little guy Wheeler….but we already knew that from the Cof C game. What made it worst is when he got past them our 7 footer and 6:11 guy can’t protect the rim.

Kerwin has disappeared and his playing time…..this two-point guard thing has some to do with that….and Leaky being a better defender.

We have three decent bigs but all three want to score and are somewhat of black holes.

with all of that, we were getting better but good teams will expose everything we need to fix.

Stretch bigs who cannot play a lick inside. Absolutely no defense whatsoever. Very unathletic and way too slow. This is not Carolina basketball. This was a joke!
Yeap the downside of most stretch bigs….got to use them in the right way.

I said it before, to compete against good teams…some sacrifices will have to be made…some feelings have to be hurt…and yes some guys may hit the transfer portal.

What point will he teach? Love, RJ, Harris nor Leaky could guard that little guy Wheeler….but we already knew that from the Cof C game. What made it worst is when he got past them our 7 footer and 6:11 guy can’t protect the rim.

Kerwin has disappeared and his playing time…..this two-point guard thing has some to do with that….and Leaky being a better defender.

We have three decent bigs but all three want to score and are somewhat of black holes.

with all of that, we were getting better but good teams will expose everything we need to fix.
That little guy scored ALL of his points within 15 feet of the basket and most at the rim. I watched him play 4 games this year and a lot over the last few years at Georgia, HE CAN'T SHOOT!
How about changing defenses, trap him, play some zone, double every ball screen. Anything was better than watching a 5'10" guy shoot what had to be 6-8 layups.
That is on Hubert to not change the strategy, the the lack of effort is solely on the players.

That little guy scored ALL of his points within 15 feet of the basket and most at the rim. I watched him play 4 games this year and a lot over the last few years at Georgia, HE CAN'T SHOOT!
How about changing defenses, trap him, play some zone, double every ball screen. Anything was better than watching a 5'10" guy shoot what had to be 6-8 layups.
That is on Hubert to not change the strategy, the the lack of effort is solely on the players.
Well maybe Hubert learned the one thing many of us didn’t like about Roy….stubbornness.
We will see shortly if he changes things up

Reactions: tarwhiz
They wanted him they got him. Let's see how long they can handle the losing because it's not going away.
Agreed. They wanted it, now they own it. I’m sitting here with the popcorn watching a dumpster fire. Oh and it’s not going to get better because the HC doesn’t have the experience to fix the myriad of problems this team has.
Thanks Roy! Was there a reason you never let Hubert coach when you were sick? I’m sorry, if I were Steve Robinson I would be calling you laughing in your face. Great decision there coach!
When did Tar Heel fans decide they really really wanted to experience the trials of NC State fans? Oh vey…..

Getting ran out of the gym by Kentucky is inexcusable, no matter who the coach is! Some here have forgotten we are Carolina, not some fly by night program!

Embarrassed, sad, mad and ready to Crack some heads is the feeling we should all be feeling right now not making excuses for the choices the school made in the selection of the coach to come in after Roy! Roy is just as responsible for this as Hubert is!

Now I don't want to run him out of town but this is not Carolina basketball this is a bad dream of the program I have loved since I was a kid. There have been only a 2 times I have felt like this one was about 10 games into Matty D's last season and now, and I feel sure this wouldn't feel like this if we had not have all ready been through the Dougherty experiment!

I hope he turns I around, wins and retires in 25 years as a HOFer, but right now we are regressing and not progressing!

Reactions: Old_School59
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT