ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated 80s Songs

From a critical standpoint, the 80s just don’t match up to the 60s or 70s. That’s why 50 years later, we’re still listening to the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin and Floyd.

It’s doubtful that in another 10 years we’re playing Flock of Seagulls and Echo and The Bunnyman on classic radio stations.

Reactions: bluetoe
From a critical standpoint, the 80s just don’t match up to the 60s or 70s. That’s why 50 years later, we’re still listening to the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin and Floyd.

It’s doubtful that in another 10 years we’re playing Flock of Seagulls and Echo and The Bunnyman on classic radio stations.

But you will hear great 80's music like Kool and the Gang, Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston, Journey, GNR, Springsteen, Metallica.

I'd much rather listen to them than the 4 you mentioned.

I think you'll hear plenty of 80's music, but it will be mostly 90's songs. They play what their audience wants and that's going to be more 90's songs as time goes on. That's not to say the bigger bands and songs from the 70s and 60s won't be played, just not as much. I would argue that what's played on the radio isn't a great judge of how good the music is in that particular decade though.

I’m not taking shots at 80s music. I am the 80s. I own more 80s music than any other era. But let’s be real, from a critical standpoint, 80s music is regarded as shallow and just not in the same league as music from the 2 previous decades. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, times were so good that artists had less material to work with. And I’m not arguing against the listenability of it either. I don’t care that much of the 80s music was shallow. It’s catchy and I liked it. But just from a critical standpoint, it’s a hard argument to make.

The other day I heard Green Day on a Sirius classic rock station and it made me feel super duper old.

The other day I heard Green Day on a Sirius classic rock station and it made me feel super duper old.

Yeah, a lot of classic rock stations are playing 90s alternative now, which is weird and annoying. Classic rock isn't just "classic rock" because of its age. It's become a genre. A genre that 90s alt rock doesn't fit into.

Reactions: dadika13
If we’re going to really nerd out then it also has to be mentioned that 80’s music generally had shitty audio quality in comparison. That’s the beginning of the compression/loudness wars and a lot of engineers started tracking on digital gear instead of the magnetic tape that was widely used in the 60’s and 70’s. It tends to sound harsher and sterile. Plus with analog tracking on tape , musicians had to be better because they needed to nail the song in one take instead of splicing together a track from hundreds of takes.

That vintage recording gear from the 60’s and 70’s is now worth a fortune and there are even fairly successful companies who have built their entire business around copying those old circuits.

If we’re going to really nerd out then it also has to be mentioned that 80’s music generally had shitty audio quality in comparison. That’s the beginning of the compression/loudness wars and a lot of engineers started tracking on digital gear instead of the magnetic tape that was widely used in the 60’s and 70’s. It tends to sound harsher and sterile. Plus with analog tracking on tape , musicians had to be better because they needed to nail the song in one take instead of splicing together a track from hundreds of takes.

That vintage recording gear from the 60’s and 70’s is now worth a fortune and there are even fairly successful companies who have built their entire business around copying those old circuits.
Somewhat related to that, the Sonic Highways documentary that was made by Dave Grohl is a great watch that kind of explores some of what you mentioned. The Foo Fighters also still record all of their stuff on tape.

Somewhat related to that, the Sonic Highways documentary that was made by Dave Grohl is a great watch that kind of explores some of what you mentioned. The Foo Fighters also still record all of their stuff on tape.

Is that the one where he rescues the old Neve console?

The Sound City documentary?

I don't know that it was underrated but this song, more than any other, reminds me of the 1980s. Likely because the local station played it 473 times a day when I was in high school.

There is some totally cringe-worthy music ITT.

I forgot that the 80s was the decade that spawned the success of one of the best guitarists (and vocalists) of all time! And, one of my Top-5 all-time favorite videos:

a generality with shining exceptions, but this is why I hate the eighties for the music. And when I say hate, I mean I just flat out deSPISE that unlistenable crap.
It took balls... or the total lack of them... to admit that you like Take On Me.

But, I'll offer a guilty pleasure that will likely bring ridicule. I had the Freedome Of Choice album, in fact!

• Love
Reactions: bluetoe
and here is your shining exception. Not really underrated but actually it is......I had to have an example for my contention anyway so here it is.

If this doesn't get your juices flowing, you just don't have juices. Chrissie Hynde is my favorite female lead, but that guitar in the middle is insane.

I'm actually thankful that after 3 pages of the thread, no one has posted any of that insufferable music from... Men At fvcking Work.
I think you guitar guys despise 80s music because of the rise of synthesizers and keyboards. But, mostly because of the birth of...

ax09_dan2_gal_main1000x1000.jpg

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: strummingram
It took balls... or the total lack of them... to admit that you like Take On Me.

But, I'll offer a guilty pleasure that will likely bring ridicule. I had the Freedome Of Choice album, in fact!

no shame at all here. I LOVE this tune and the video is perfectly simpatico wuth the music. Nothing to turn your nose up at here.

Sometimes I think you might actually be redeemable.

Reactions: strummingram
I think you guitar guys despise 80s music because of the rise of synthesizers and keyboards. But, mostly because of the birth of...

ax09_dan2_gal_main1000x1000.jpg

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I think that might be some of it. But, the 80s was littered with guitar-laden music. Look at the dominance of heavy metal in the whole decade. It may not have gotten tons of radio airplay, but MTV pushed it and they drew huge concert crowds. ZZ Top and Aerosmith hit their second stride and became more popular, and famous, than ever.

And, I was always eager to see the trio of hotties in the ZZ Top videos. Later found out that one was a former Playboy Playmate- Jeana Tomasino!

576full-jeana-tomasina.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT