ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
the best test of golf is this week...course looks brutal, maybe as tough as 2004.

pick your three with the winning score:

dj
day
phil

The score is 10000% dependent on the wind. If it howls, the scores could be near even. I could see it as low as -10 if it's calm. They took out trees and widened fairways from 2004, pros usually tear up conditions like that if no wind.

The score is 10000% dependent on the wind. If it howls, the scores could be near even. I could see it as low as -10 if it's calm. They took out trees and widened fairways from 2004, pros usually tear up conditions like that if no wind.

but there’s no rough to keep balls from funneling into traps or down false fronts...#9 is a b

I will take the field against anyone/everyone poasted ITT

I will take the field against anyone/everyone poasted ITT

Way to go out on a limb . . how brave of you.
thumbsup.gif

Way to go out on a limb . . how brave of you.
thumbsup.gif

I'm taking the field against the top 10 in the world.

Tell you what, let's flip it and you take the field and I will take everyone poasted ITT.

I'm taking the field against the top 10 in the world.

Tell you what, let's flip it and you take the field and I will take everyone poasted ITT.

No thanks . . taking the field means nothing.

Early draw tomorrow with a big advantage. It's still going to be wet and the major winds aren't coming until like noon.

I played Shinnecock two years ago w 40mph gusts. On par 3 7th, I pitched up to inside a couple of feet and just as I knelt down to mark my ball, a gust took it off the green about 15 yards down the hill into the bunker. That course is ridiculously hard in the wind. I never finished the 11th as I couldn’t get the ball to stay on the green. 9 may be one of the greatest holes I’ve ever played and I’ve been lucky enough to play a number of US Open tracks. This is going to be exciting to watch with a breeze.

Reactions: UNC71-00
I played Shinnecock two years ago w 40mph gusts. On par 3 7th, I pitched up to inside a couple of feet and just as I knelt down to mark my ball, a gust took it off the green about 15 yards down the hill into the bunker. That course is ridiculously hard in the wind. I never finished the 11th as I couldn’t get the ball to stay on the green. 9 may be one of the greatest holes I’ve ever played and I’ve been lucky enough to play a number of US Open tracks. This is going to be exciting to watch with a breeze.

That's pretty crazy. I can't imagine playing something that quick. We have a local course that went to Championship Bermuda a few years back. I played it a couple of days ago and they measure it pretty regularly. A few years back they had it running at 12 and in the tournament I played then we had multiple people quit in the middle of the tournament because they were so pissed. It was running really fast a couple of days ago and was tough as heck. I had a 3 foot downhill putt for birdie on the 17th hole (had a chance at that point to shoot par if I just birdied one of the last two holes) and hit if off the toe as soft as I could and it ran to about 7 feet past the hole. I made the comeback for par but it was just brutal if you were above the hole. We have a two-man tourney there this weekend and the speed is going to give people fits. Literally all of the 18 holes have elevated greens on at least three sides, most of them are elevated all the way around. Fun course but really gives you a feel of where your game is at.

The length is what would get me on a course like Shinnecock. I'm just not long enough to battle a course like that.

It's ridiculous how hard major championship conditions are at these venues. I played Torrey 3 weeks after the US Open and 2008 and shot 20 above my handicap (and played pretty well).

Spieth +4 through 2 already. Yikes.

Hard to believe Phil has missed one fairway and is where he is right now.

Do you guys prefer a golf course getting the better of players like this? Or players consistently challenging for birdies?

Admittedly it's a bit of a rough watch for me.

Do you guys prefer a golf course getting the better of players like this? Or players consistently challenging for birdies?

I wouldn't want it every week but I like it fine at this tournament. Something different to watch.

I'd love to see the winner at Even. It was ridiculous that -16 was a score last year.

It's fun to see players a little uncomfortable out there.

It's a major. Make them work for it. They can look like pros in the other tournaments.

Reactions: ChiShankCity
I like it when they put a premium on hitting the fairways. Of course, Tiger just hit the fairway on #1 and still makes triple

Eldrick opens with a triple. He's never going to win a major again.

for this event, i love it...i don’t like tricks like chambers bay, but this is great, imo.

i watch the masters for shot making and/or back nine drama.

Reactions: UNC71-00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT