ADVERTISEMENT

VT

Very slim, I'd say. We had our shot at them and blew it. Now all we can do is try to win out and hope for the best. The Georgia loss will haunt us. Don't mind losing to VT because they have a very good team, but Georgia is pretty mediocre. A decent performance by us and we win that game. Now we've put ourselves at the mercy of fate.

Very slim, I'd say. We had our shot at them and blew it. Now all we can do is try to win out and hope for the best. The Georgia loss will haunt us. Don't mind losing to VT because they have a very good team, but Georgia is pretty mediocre. A decent performance by us and we win that game. Now we've put ourselves at the mercy of fate.
Say we win out but don't win the division...what bowl game would we be looking at? We'd probably be ranked in the top 15.

Say we win out but don't win the division...what bowl game would we be looking at? We'd probably be ranked in the top 15.
Probably the one we went to last year or the belk bowl. Assuming everything works out as projected we will be behind Clemson, Louisville, and VT in the pecking order.

The Georgia loss will haunt us. Don't mind losing to VT because they have a very good team, but Georgia is pretty mediocre.
I disagree, but only because the VT loss was a divisional one.

Something else to think about. UNC's only conference loss is to the only divisional team with as good a record (4-1, 6-2 overall). VT's only conference loss is to an ACC team with a mediocre record (2-2, 4-4 overall). Yet UNC's loss is more damaging. Life's tough in divisional formats.

I'd say the Peach Bowl. The ACC runner-up goes tot he Russell Athletic Bowl. FSU was in the Peach Bowl last year, if I'm not mistaken.

I doubt VT loses anymore games. But, I'm not really worried about them losing. I'm much more concerned with UNC winning their remaining games. Beating Ga Tech is one that I am very concerned about.

Reactions: Archer2
I know we have to take care of our business over anything. I never want to pull for duke but this weekend I will be. If they lost to Syracuse I think they could lose again. Not sure if that was just a focus issue there or what but I feel like they could be beat by 1 of the 3 conference teams they have left. I'm not overly confident but I think it's possible. I truly feel like we would give Clemson a better run for it that VT would...

I think Georgia Tech beats them. But the way UVA played against Louisville makes me think they could give them a tough game as well.

I'd say the Peach Bowl. The ACC runner-up goes tot he Russell Athletic Bowl. FSU was in the Peach Bowl last year, if I'm not mistaken.
I believe the Peach Bowl was a NY6 bowl last year. The ACC NY6 bowl is going to go to Louisville if they don't get into the playoffs. It goes to VT if Louisville gets in. That's assuming all of them win out and Clemson wins the ACC.

I believe the Peach Bowl was a NY6 bowl last year. The ACC NY6 bowl is going to go to Louisville if they don't get into the playoffs. It goes to VT if Louisville gets in. That's assuming all of them win out and Clemson wins the ACC.
Oh, okay. Well, then we get some lame bowl like Belk or Music City.

I think Georgia Tech beats them. But the way UVA played against Louisville makes me think they could give them a tough game as well.
both of those games are being played in blacksburg, one of the best home field advantages in the country (especially against uva). dook has a better chance of beating them than either ga tech or uva.

What's the NY6 bowl for the ACC this year?

Orange Bowl is on Dec 30th and is ACC vs Big10/SEC/ND

I think there's a chance we'd slip into the Tax Slayer or Citrus Bowls but likely destination is Belk I'm sure. I think the Tax Slayer/Citrus bowls are ACC/B1G vs SEC in both instances. I think best case for our bowl hopes is to bank on a B1G school going to the playoff, and two going into the "Selection Committee" bowls, IE the:

Rose
Orange
Sugar
Cotton

I'm sure Mich/Ohio State loser will wind up in the Rose Bowl, and then Wisconsin may be an appealing option for the Orange. That would leave POTENTIALLY 10-2 North Carolina & 10-3 Virginia Tech teams battling it out vs Penn State/Nebraska for the previously mentioned Tax Slayer and Citrus Bowls. Penn State also may be a good fit for the Outback Bowl which is B1G vs SEC.

This is obviously entirely speculation, I'm basing this on VT and UNC running the table and VT losing to Clemson. I can't imagine we'd fall below the Belk Bowl unless the remainder of our season goes sideways.

Orange Bowl is on Dec 30th and is ACC vs Big10/SEC/ND

I think there's a chance we'd slip into the Tax Slayer or Citrus Bowls but likely destination is Belk I'm sure. I think the Tax Slayer/Citrus bowls are ACC/B1G vs SEC in both instances. I think best case for our bowl hopes is to bank on a B1G school going to the playoff, and two going into the "Selection Committee" bowls, IE the:

Rose
Orange
Sugar
Cotton

I'm sure Mich/Ohio State loser will wind up in the Rose Bowl, and then Wisconsin may be an appealing option for the Orange. That would leave POTENTIALLY 10-2 North Carolina & 10-3 Virginia Tech teams battling it out vs Penn State/Nebraska for the previously mentioned Tax Slayer and Citrus Bowls. Penn State also may be a good fit for the Outback Bowl which is B1G vs SEC.

This is obviously entirely speculation, I'm basing this on VT and UNC running the table and VT losing to Clemson. I can't imagine we'd fall below the Belk Bowl unless the remainder of our season goes sideways.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm hoping Washington will lose and UL get's into the playoffs. That would move us up a slot in the selection process. It sucks that a 10-2 team would play in an also-ran bowl, but given our history over the past couple of decades a 10 win season and top 15 ranking would be nice to see.

a top 15 ranking and competing well in the final bowl would be amazing.

As for VT v Dook, hate to sound doeren-ish, but how is Jarod Evan's ankle? He looked gimpy at the end.

its a shame our AD didn't have enough common sense to force that game to be played another day. VT lost to SU, so they can lose to anyone left on their schedule.

Reactions: bstewart27101
At this point, we hope for the best in terms of VT losing and us winning. But, even if that doesn't happen, we gotta keep winning and being excited. This is about building for the future and getter better recruits each year. Of course, I want that division title but there are other goals as well.

both of those games are being played in blacksburg, one of the best home field advantages in the country (especially against uva). dook has a better chance of beating them than either ga tech or uva.
Jela Duncan out for rest of year.

I wouldn't be surprised if VaTech lost one of those games. GaTech or Va. But I'm worried about all of our remaining games except Citadel. If we don't come out ready to play we could lose to Tech, Duke or State... trust me.

I wouldn't be surprised if VaTech lost one of those games. GaTech or Va....
i would be shocked. hokie fans are extremely excited about winning the coastal -- it's like their national championship. there's no way their team is going to disappoint the home crowd against ga tech or uva.

So does the decision to play that game in monsoon conditions lie strictly in the hands of the ACC? Can a team petition to have a game rescheduled for the next day?

So does the decision to play that game in monsoon conditions lie strictly in the hands of the ACC? Can a team petition to have a game rescheduled for the next day?
The campus hosting the game has to report to the conference whether the field is playable (which it was), then the conference makes the call.

I've said it before on this board but I'll say it again: ND forced everyone's hand. Notre Dame gave the ultimatum to NC State that it wanted to play the game as scheduled. Once that was approved, the ACC knew it couldn't call off the UNC and Duke home games on that day

Love your avatar, Hark.

BTW, hadn't heard that re: ND, THN. Regardless, I don't think the game should have been played. There are inclement weather conditions and then there are monsoon conditions. Now I must admit that I don't think our team was properly prepared to play in those conditions, and that's on us. But that's water under the bridge now. We'll never know if we would have beaten them on a dry field. I sure would have loved to see us have a shot though, especially because it may have cost us the Coastal.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Love your avatar, Hark.

BTW, hadn't heard that re: ND, THN. Regardless, I don't think the game should have been played. There are inclement weather conditions and then there are monsoon conditions. Now I must admit that I don't think our team was properly prepared to play in those conditions, and that's on us. But that's water under the bridge now. We'll never know if we would have beaten them on a dry field. I sure would have loved to see us have a shot though, especially because it may have cost us the Coastal.
I mean, in terms of fan safety (i.e. fans coming from Down East), yes the conditions were an issue. But as far as the game conditions, games have been played in conditions like that for 100 years. Our field drainage system obviously works. Our field looked great throughout the game (you can't say the same about Carter-Finley ....it looked dreadful)

Ugh, the fuggin Belk Bowl and Music City Bowl... I really hope we somehow find our way into something decent.
Belk Bowl would blow. Music City Bowl would be AWESOME. Nashville. Have you been? If not, do the girlfriend a favor and bring her to that game and devote a day and night to exploring Nashville's downtown. Amazingly fun city.

Hurry up and experience it before it becomes 100% transplant and loses all its uniqueness.

Belk Bowl would blow. Music City Bowl would be AWESOME. Nashville. Have you been? If not, do the girlfriend a favor and bring her to that game and devote a day and night to exploring Nashville's downtown. Amazingly fun city.

Hurry up and experience it before it becomes 100% transplant and loses all its uniqueness.
I think he was talking about the prestige. Not many 5 star recruits are going to be as impressed with a bowl in Nashville. Hopefully double digit wins and top 15 rankings will offset that.

I think he was talking about the prestige. Not many 5 star recruits are going to be as impressed with a bowl in Nashville. Hopefully double digit wins and top 15 rankings will offset that.

Ya, I was more going for the prestige of the bowl. I actually went to Nashville (with the GF) for NYE this past year, fun city. I'd be happy enough if we get a bowl in a good location that I can travel to, but feel like the program is on the cusp of getting a meaningful bowl that would help us out a lot.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Ya, I was more going for the prestige of the bowl. I actually went to Nashville (with the GF) for NYE this past year, fun city. I'd be happy enough if we get a bowl in a good location that I can travel to, but feel like the program is on the cusp of getting a meaningful bowl that would help us out a lot.
Ah okay, understood. Here's my take on bowls....

If you're not in a NY6 Bowl, the "prestige" doesn't really matter. To me, it's about the opponent. If you haven't made a NY6 Bowl, it means your program still has work to do to get you to that penultimate. Therefore, you need a quality opponent to challenge your program and help you evaluate your standing and your needs going into next year. The bowl location benefits the fans not the players. The players get like 10 total hours to "see" the city where their bowl is.

The great thing about the Belk or Music City Bowl is we get matched up with an SEC opponent. Since we are sssssttttttiiiiiilllllllllllllllllll waiting for that elusive win over an SEC school, it would be nice to give this program a chance to finally get one.

If you're not in a NY6 Bowl, the "prestige" doesn't really matter. To me, it's about the opponent. If you haven't made a NY6 Bowl, it means your program still has work to do to get you to that penultimate. Therefore, you need a quality opponent to challenge your program and help you evaluate your standing and your needs going into next year. The bowl location benefits the fans not the players. The players get like 10 total hours to "see" the city where their bowl is.

The great thing about the Belk or Music City Bowl is we get matched up with an SEC opponent. Since we are sssssttttttiiiiiilllllllllllllllllll waiting for that elusive win over an SEC school, it would be nice to give this program a chance to finally get one.
I think we still have an outside chance to get to a NY6 bowl. If Washington and VT lose, then I think we would be the favorite to take the ACC spot. The Washington loss would have to result in UL getting into the playoffs to make that happen though. I think the chances of Washington and VT losing are slim, so I doubt that happens. One can still hope though.

Was the last SEC win we have the one over Tennessee in that Music City Bowl? If so - damn that's been awhile and it would be nice to get another one in a bowl this year.

I find it hilarious how eager you are to trash Charlotte while praising Nashville's downtown when you've never bothered to explore Charlotte's downtown. The one time you were here and not completely shit-canned, you went to 7-state corporate conglomerate Carolina Ale House.

Boo this man.

I find it hilarious how eager you are to trash Charlotte while praising Nashville's downtown when you've never bothered to explore Charlotte's downtown. The one time you were here and not completely shit-canned, you went to 7-state corporate conglomerate Carolina Ale House.

Boo this man.
The hell you know about me? I've explored Uptown Charlotte a number of times. I love the city of Charlotte, Brosef Stalin.

When I said it would "blow" to play in Charlotte, I meant for the fans. You know how our fans are. They wouldn't show up because it's "just another game in Charlotte" or whatever their excuse would be.

Was the last SEC win we have the one over Tennessee in that Music City Bowl? If so - damn that's been awhile and it would be nice to get another one in a bowl this year.
Yes.

2011: loss to Missouri in that infamous Independence Bowl (not an SEC team yet, but I'm still counting it.)
2013: loss at South Carolina
2015: loss vs. South Carolina in Charlotte
2016: loss vs. Georgia in Atlanta

If you want to go back further against SEC opponents before Tennesee:

2007: loss at home vs. South Carolina

So, our last two wins against SEC opponents have been in 2010 (Tennessee) and 2001 (Auburn in the Peach Bowl).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT