ADVERTISEMENT

VT

Yes.

2011: loss to Missouri in that infamous Independence Bowl (not an SEC team yet, but I'm still counting it.)
2013: loss at South Carolina
2015: loss vs. South Carolina in Charlotte
2016: loss vs. Georgia in Atlanta

If you want to go back further against SEC opponents before Tennesee:

2007: loss at home vs. South Carolina

So, our last two wins against SEC opponents have been in 2010 (Tennessee) and 2001 (Auburn in the Peach Bowl).
I was at the peach bowl, but I haven't been able to go to the other games. Is it possible that I'm the reason we have been losing?

I was at the peach bowl, but I haven't been able to go to the other games. Is it possible that I'm the reason we have been losing?
latest

Is it possible, but not probable

The hell you know about me? I've explored Uptown Charlotte a number of times. I love the city of Charlotte, Brosef Stalin.
I stand corrected then. My apologies. I can't recall ever hearing you say anything nice about Charlotte, just complaints that it lacks an identity.

When I said it would "blow" to play in Charlotte, I meant for the fans. You know how our fans are. They wouldn't show up because it's "just another game in Charlotte" or whatever their excuse would be.
Well they sure as hell didn't show up in Nashville. Or Shreveport. Or Detroit. Or Orlando. Or Atlanta. Or.... (read: the location isn't the problem)

I stand corrected then. My apologies. I can't recall ever hearing you say anything nice about Charlotte, just complaints that it lacks an identity.
I said it is developing in the same fashion that Atlanta did (i.e. big boon out of nowhere, with mass transient influx following) and therefore may lose its identity when everyone in the city is no longer from Charlotte or even from North Carolina.

But in general, I love Charlotte. Very drivable, walkable, and very clean. It's way nicer than Atlanta and much more manageable.

I
Well they sure as hell didn't show up in Nashville. Or Shreveport. Or Detroit. Or Orlando. Or Atlanta. Or.... (read: the location isn't the problem)
Which is why we will always get jumped by VT for a bowl if they finish within 1-game record of us. Unless it is mandated like a NY6 bowl.

Apparently we will also get jumped by FSU and GT. I can understand FSU, but GT? Really?

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_...projections-clemson-rounds-into-playoff-shape
This is only a projection. Which tells you what ESPN thinks is going to happen this weekend. So after we win they won't have Ga Tech in a better bowl next weekend. Regardless though, get ready for the Belk Bowl. I think that's where we land if win out, FSU wins out and Vag Tech wins out.

This is only a projection. Which tells you what ESPN thinks is going to happen this weekend. So after we win they won't have Ga Tech in a better bowl next weekend. Regardless though, get ready for the Belk Bowl. I think that's where we land if win out, FSU wins out and Vag Tech wins out.
You are more than likely right, but they're 5-3 right now. Not sure how anyone could think they should be ahead of us or that they should beat us at Chapel Hill.

It wasn't our AD's call but okay.

Whose call is it then? He is the director of athletics. He could have said the conditions were too bad for players and fans and it was endangering peoples lives and they were going to suspend the game. It is ABSOLUTELY HIS CALL.

Whose call is it then? He is the director of athletics. He could have said the conditions were too bad for players and fans and it was endangering peoples lives and they were going to suspend the game. It is ABSOLUTELY HIS CALL.

Yeah no. It was the ACC's call and with four other games in the area that day it was not an isolated decision.

If he does that without following the correct protocols we would have forfeit the game.

When I have time tonight, I will find an article or link to the proper protocol. But for now, please know it is NOT the athletic director's unilateral decision. Many parties are involved. First, the opposing school has to deem it safe enough for them to get to the game sight safely (which it was). Additionally, the campus hosting the game sight must report to the ACC if the field is suitable for play......not if the surrounding interstates are suitable for travel.....simply the game field. Is it safe for the athletes and coaches to play on the field and safe for the attending fans to sit in the bleachers.

Then, once the campus gives the OK, the ACC decides whether to give the greenlight. There are a lot of headaches that would've gone into a cancellation, since VT and UNC are divisional opponents competing for the same spot in the ACCCG.

Bubba is involved in the mix, but the decision does not solely rest with him. It is a collaborative effort. The game was suitable for play, so the game was played. Does it suck? Yes. Did we play very badly, probably in large part due to the weather? Yes. Is it simply bad luck? Yes.

Yeah no. It was the ACC's call and with four other games in the area that day it was not an isolated decision.
bubba, yow and the dook guy got together on a conference call on thursday and decided they were all going to play based on weather reports at the time.
bubba has since stated that he wished he had agreed with the proviso to reconsider if the weather changed.
he should have reconsidered without worrying about his commitment to the other 2 ad's.
bubba should have consulted fedora and it most certainly was bubba's call as he has stated repeatedly.
bubba took the blame for this decision.

bubba, yow and the dook guy got together on a conference call on thursday and decided they were all going to play based on weather reports at the time.
bubba has since stated that he wished he had agreed with the proviso to reconsider if the weather changed.
he should have reconsidered without worrying about his commitment to the other 2 ad's.
bubba should have consulted fedora and it most certainly was bubba's call as he has stated repeatedly.
bubba took the blame for this decision.
Yes, Bubba fell on his sword because he's an admirable man. He's not going to say, for instance, that Notre Dame mandated that their game against State must go on as scheduled, which sent out a ripple effect for us and Duke.

If we had won the game, this discussion wouldn't be happening. It's purely a sour grapes argument.

We lost the game and could have lost on a dry field too , Who knows. I just hope we concentrate on winning out cause dook and moo will probably play their best games of the year and we have struggled often against GT...

First, if ND wants to dictate to the ACC, they should be told to pound sand. Second, playing the game in those conditions is not fair to the teams or the fans. Third, we weren't properly prepared and played very poorly. Fourth, it's water under the proverbial bridge now. If we're not ready for Tech, especially after a week off, there will be no excuses.

First, if ND wants to dictate to the ACC, they should be told to pound sand. Second, playing the game in those conditions is not fair to the teams or the fans. Third, we weren't properly prepared and played very poorly. Fourth, it's water under the proverbial bridge now. If we're not ready for Tech, especially after a week off, there will be no excuses.
It seemed pretty fair to VT. Worked right into their normal defensive strategy. Football is an outdoor sport. Sometimes the conditions are bad.

It seemed pretty fair to VT. Worked right into their normal defensive strategy. Football is an outdoor sport. Sometimes the conditions are bad.
There's bad conditions and the there's monsoon conditions. That's the last I'll say about the weather conditions. I agree both teams had to deal with them but they played right to VT's defensive strength. Enough said because it's over.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Gonna be pulling really hard for GT this coming weekend....I feel this is probably our last legit hope. They won at Lane stadium the last time the to 2 played. I wish that they could come through for us this week. They are in need of a W as well as far as a bowl game. We'll take care of business on Thursday night. Go Heels and Go Jackets.

Gonna be pulling really hard for GT this coming weekend....I feel this is probably our last legit hope. They won at Lane stadium the last time the to 2 played. I wish that they could come through for us this week. They are in need of a W as well as far as a bowl game. We'll take care of business on Thursday night. Go Heels and Go Jackets.
GT's yellow back is now against the wall. Perhaps that means a big game.

I couldn't bring myself to pull for dook. I will not have that problem with GT.

There's bad conditions and the there's monsoon conditions. That's the last I'll say about the weather conditions. I agree both teams had to deal with them but they played right to VT's defensive strength. Enough said because it's over.

Not only that, but the only bad weather guy we have (Hood) couldn't play that game. It was a recipe for us to get our clocks cleaned. But as others have said, it is what it is. But there is no doubt in my mind, that under "normal" conditions, VT couldn't stay within 10 points of us.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Not only that, but the only bad weather guy we have (Hood) couldn't play that game. It was a recipe for us to get our clocks cleaned. But as others have said, it is what it is. But there is no doubt in my mind, that under "normal" conditions, VT couldn't stay within 10 points of us.
I think odds are good that on a dry field, Kenan, even with Hood out, we would beat VT.

But there is no doubt in my mind, that under "normal" conditions, VT couldn't stay within 10 points of us.

I know I am the enemy and could very well just be told to bug off but hoping you may explain your rationale as I have heard comparable statements from many of my UNC friends as well. What makes you think we wouldnt be able to keep up? Let me preface by saying VT has some head scratching play throughout this year. We have not played well on the road and this past weekend is another showing of that. But when looking at the statistics I just dont see you all winning by 10. Not saying VT wins, and it is definitely a heck of a lot closer than this year, but I dont see either team just running away with it.

Statistics/rankings through this past weekend

Average Yards per game (Offense):
VT - 45th, 445 yards (252 passing/193 rushing)
UNC - 40th, 460 yards (307 passing/153 rushing)

Points Per Game (Offense):
VT - 36th, 34.7
UNC - 39th, 34.2

Average Yards per game (Defense):
VT - 17th, 327 yards (202 passing/125 rushing)
UNC - 71st, 410 yards (193 passing/217 rushing)

Points Per Game (Defense):
VT - 18th, 20.2
UNC- 58th, 26.2

As mentioned, in different weather it is definitely a different game, one we very well could lose, but I see these teams as being fairly comparable with each team having a slight edge (UNC - Offense, VT - Defense) and dont see a 10 point game either way. This year set up perfectly to what we like to do as a defense. With the weather both teams had to go one dimensional.

I know I am the enemy and could very well just be told to bug off but hoping you may explain your rationale as I have heard comparable statements from many of my UNC friends as well. What makes you think we wouldnt be able to keep up? Let me preface by saying VT has some head scratching play throughout this year. We have not played well on the road and this past weekend is another showing of that. But when looking at the statistics I just dont see you all winning by 10. Not saying VT wins, and it is definitely a heck of a lot closer than this year, but I dont see either team just running away with it.

Statistics/rankings through this past weekend

Average Yards per game (Offense):
VT - 45th, 445 yards (252 passing/193 rushing)
UNC - 40th, 460 yards (307 passing/153 rushing)

Points Per Game (Offense):
VT - 36th, 34.7
UNC - 39th, 34.2

Average Yards per game (Defense):
VT - 17th, 327 yards (202 passing/125 rushing)
UNC - 71st, 410 yards (193 passing/217 rushing)

Points Per Game (Defense):
VT - 18th, 20.2
UNC- 58th, 26.2

As mentioned, in different weather it is definitely a different game, one we very well could lose, but I see these teams as being fairly comparable with each team having a slight edge (UNC - Offense, VT - Defense) and dont see a 10 point game either way. This year set up perfectly to what we like to do as a defense. With the weather both teams had to go one dimensional.

That game should've been cancelled,but it didn't and things went VT's way,not gonna matter anyways who wins our division,nither team will beat clemson.

That game should've been cancelled,but it didn't and things went VT's way,not gonna matter anyways who wins our division,nither team will beat clemson.

Sadly, I agree. I would like to think both VT and UNC could give Clemson a game but realistically I know both would be probably 7-10 point underdogs and it would be considered a significant upset. In the back of my head I say if State could keep it close with them...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT