ADVERTISEMENT

We will land G.G.

Bacot would have spent over a decade in the NBA if he was born 25 years earlier.
correct. I was thinking similar thoughts yesterday. Todd Day was a stud College player 30 years ago and I thought he would be a terrific pro. It didn't work out for him with his thin frame and the physical way defense was allowed to guard in the 90's.
Today he would be a 3 and D star that would flourish in the open court.
Give me 90's basketball, minus the Pistons though😋

As far as Bacot returning, I think the best chance is if he really does not like his NBA prospects overall, and wants to continue his buisness aspirations as well as making NIL money, while chasing a National title.

If he wants to better his NBA prospects, the G Leauge would seem to be the better route at this point. He needs to stretch his shooting out dramatically, and footwork guarding away from the basket. At UNC he would dominate on the block, I don't see him doing much of either. but that does not translate well to the Association. At his size and athleticism his upside as a banger/rim protecter in the Association isn't much sought after.
I really don't see Bacot stretching his shooting out, on the what 3 treys I have seen him try this season, 1 went in but his shot is very slow release, little elevation, just not a confident stroke. That is a problem for NBA scouts, a problem that could have been offset if he did play great against guys like the Perdue 7ft kid or Oscar. Williams took it to him in the first duke game, Bacot did take it right back at Williams in that last game and that helps because a lot of scouts like Williams rim protection ability. Bacot has to finish off his resume by great post season play, last night was not a lot of resume help even with he getting a double double.

Bacot staying another year hurts him more than helps. Anything that he is lacking, jump shot or otherwise can be worked on and developed over the summer to showcase to GM's at draft camps or private workouts. If he stays he's looked at as a guy STILL not ready by GM's. His ceiling will not get that much higher after another year in CH. Grab the bag and work your ash off during the summer.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I really don't see Bacot stretching his shooting out, on the what 3 treys I have seen him try this season, 1 went in but his shot is very slow release, little elevation, just not a confident stroke. That is a problem for NBA scouts, a problem that could have been offset if he did play great against guys like the Perdue 7ft kid or Oscar. Williams took it to him in the first duke game, Bacot did take it right back at Williams in that last game and that helps because a lot of scouts like Williams rim protection ability. Bacot has to finish off his resume by great post season play, last night was not a lot of resume help even with he getting a double double.
I don't know how much doing well in those matchups would of helped his stock though. Those guys are dominant college kids, but not much pro buzz.

Mando is not turning any heads as a low block player at his size and athleticism, if he could hold his own banging with guys that are playing big banger in the post does not mean squat for the Association. He will not be guarding that, or be posted up for looks to score in the league.

Williams is a rim protecter, pick and oops LONG Clint Capela type upside. That is his appeal, not banging it out down low.

is this guy the kind of 5 star who can put the team on his back? an inside & outside threat?

Frank Martin fired by USC... have to think that helps UNC chances with G.G, no????
This was expected and was the big problem the cocks had. Look, the cocks now know GG is not going to them, if they felt he was they would not have fired Frank because getting GG was worth keeping Frank around. The cocks were the main program trying to drive the reclassify notion, truth told they didn't want to wait on making a move on Frank for 2 more seasons, they were trying to see if they could limit a wait time to just next season. Sans some crazy home run hire, which is not happening for SC basketball, the cocks are out of the GG sweeps. The dukies would prefer he not reclass because they have a lot of big men that are ranked really high coming in for next season, Hubert is willing to go either way the family wants. The reclass is STILL on the table...

UNC was the heavy favorite...then USC...now Dook

Make it make sense
Travis, duke has never been a heavy favorite for GG, they have not been a lite favorite for him, UNC has led wire to wire so far for GG, the game cocks have been the runner up, that may have now changed with them firing Frank but a crystal ball from a dukie does not a favorite make!

Reactions: TheGLOV and gary-7
Travis, duke has never been a heavy favorite for GG, they have not been a lite favorite for him, UNC has led wire to wire so far for GG, the game cocks have been the runner up, that may have now changed with them firing Frank but a crystal ball from a dukie does not a favorite make!
I still think UNC lands him, just find it funny that now Dook is getting predictions (albeit from Dookies).

I still think UNC lands him, just find it funny that now Dook is getting predictions (albeit from Dookies).
But you have to realize why the dukie felt strong enough to give them the crystal ball pick, they realize the cocks are out by firing Frank. IN essence it now being a 2 team race their odds went up but their chances stayed the same...

Get burned enough times you'll learn to not touch the stove.

I find it hard to believe we could lose this one now, but memories of these type of recruitments biting us in the ass are still fresh.
Exactly why I do not use terms like Lock, done deal, or bank on it when talking about a recruit. I actually do firmly believe in Karma and Jinx and for me those things happen when you when you call something a done deal before it has happened!

my gamecock connection has been joking with me all along about gg…and by joking, i mean he knew who the lead dog was all the time.

same guy that told me about woods years ago and dozier…he works closely with the program, a former player when we were in school together…he also thought frank would get another year.

Reactions: gthreadgill7929
...and that particular dookie is a homer from hell.

If he goes to dook , it's money cars home etc ... dook would possibly have there best class in history... unc needs to get with the other programs & join them if you ever wanna land any top recruits at unc .

I really hope Carolina gets him, but I did find it concerning reading the dad’s glowing remarks about Dook’s NIL pitch to the family.

It's all legal, so why not. And just like Jimbo Fischer said this summer.......the NIL has been around for years, just nobody talked about it. If you didn't play the game, you didn't win.

And he is 100% correct.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Sure wish we had any evidence that UNC was making the NIL a priority for Men's basketball.

I've seen good NIL news about football. Good NIL news about a women's basketball player. And Jimmy's Seafood and some t-shirts for current men's basketball players. Our wealthy alumni/fans just don't seem to be interested in helping out.

Sure wish we had any evidence that UNC was making the NIL a priority for Men's basketball.

I've seen good NIL news about football. Good NIL news about a women's basketball player. And Jimmy's Seafood and some t-shirts for current men's basketball players. Our wealthy alumni/fans just don't seem to be interested in helping out.
They shouldn't have to. It's college basketball. That's why it's kinda dumb and why the rule is shortsighted. Like, should people be able to profit off their name yes but it's going to be abused to pay players also. So once you open it, it is a wild west.

They shouldn't have to. It's college basketball. That's why it's kinda dumb and why the rule is shortsighted. Like, should people be able to profit off their name yes but it's going to be abused to pay players also. So once you open it, it is a wild west.
Players were already getting paid. That's been going on for decades. All of Wooden's elite recruits got paid. Shaq got paid. Zion and Bagley got paid. Anthony Davis got paid.

Now it's just out in the open and no longer a violation. If UNC wants go continue being a blue blood, winning titles, and getting players drafted, then UNC's alumni and fans are going to have to step up to the plate. The average fan that buys t-shirts, signed basketballs, and jerseys should have no problem supporting the low end NIL stuff. But the big money endorsements are going to have to come from the guys who cut big Rams Club checks and get their names on things around campus.

Really hope HD can close the deal. He’s put all his eggs in this basket with no backup plan even having an offer at the moment. We’ve seen how that plan backfired in the past when Roy did the same to various players over the years. You better be pretty dang confident in landing the player if you go that route.

Yep, we have entered an age where it is basically free agent madness, with talent going to the highest bidder. Has always been that way to some extent, but now it is legal. But making it worse is the portal. If some kids dad thinks his kid isn't getting the touches as a true freshman that will propel him to the NBA, or NFL, they merely enter the portal and look for greener pastures. And schools are competing behind the scenes trying to steal players with bigger NIL offers. Sad, but that is the state of major college sports. Unfortunately, they have allowed the players to control every aspect of the process at this point. They wanted their cut of the business, now they have it. But they also have unlimited free agency with the portal. That just isn't right. If it is a business, it is a business. Time for universities to enter into contracts with the players. Yea, you are going to get your NIL package. And yes, you can enter the portal any time you want to. But if you decide to up and leave, you have to pay back every dime of NIL and scholarship money given to you before you leave. It's just business.

Reactions: bluetoe
Really hope HD can close the deal. He’s put all his eggs in this basket with no backup plan even having an offer at the moment. We’ve seen how that plan backfired in the past when Roy did the same to various players over the years. You better be pretty dang confident in landing the player if you go that route.
Lets be honest with ourselves here, all signs are pointing to him going to Dook at this point. such a bummer. I know top classes always dont translate to championships but the cupboard looks to be a bit empty next year with the UNC roster (yes i know transfer portal can change things a lot) but the same old song and dance of losing top recruits to kentucky and dook and arizona etc is getting really old, first it was cause of the sanction crap, then it was "oh they are paying for players" now you CAN play for players and we still are losing out. I dont get it

Reactions: Tarheels39
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT