ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever you do, don't build a house.

Don't say I didn't warn you about both the house and HOA then

tell me your issues, please...

we're not leaving our current hood/hoa, bought a lot right around the corner on another street...our new house will look nothing like any current home here, so there's already drama.

thanks for the warning, though.

Reactions: Heelicious
Don't say I didn't warn you about both the house and HOA then

Maybe you never said it but I got the impression you were building on a nice sized parcel on the outskirts. Did I completely make that up? If so, I can't imagine you had HOA problems.

HOA is the most un-American thing I can think of. I despise HOAs.

Completely agree. An absolute deal breaker for me. I would not remotely consider living in a neighborhood where I had to participate in an HOA.

I really enjoyed when we built ours. A buddy of mine was the contractor though and we just had him build it and then paid conventionally. I didn't want any part of that construction loan nonsense.

What has happened to sour your build? Sounds like it's taking way to long

Maybe you never said it but I got the impression you were building on a nice sized parcel on the outskirts. Did I completely make that up? If so, I can't imagine you had HOA problems.

Completely agree. An absolute deal breaker for me. I would not remotely consider living in a neighborhood where I had to participate in an HOA.

9 acres in the middle of nowhere. I have previous HOA experience.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
What has happened to sour your build? Sounds like it's taking way to long

• So, in May of 2016, my then contractor contracted with a sub to excavate and clear easement and lay down a gravel driveway and clear and excavate homesite and prepare pad. The GC did not hire the right sub for the job- he hired a tree guy, not an excavation company. Furthermore, the tree guy he hired wasn't worth a shit at all. It took the tree guy about 4 months to do a job that should have taken 2 weeks.
  • In Sept of 2016, the site had finally been cleared (according to GC) and time for footings to be dug. The following week he sent me a picture of his guys HAND DIGGING THE FOOTINGS. The reason they were hand digging the footings is because no foundation guy would touch it owing to the fact that the stumps had not been removed from the footprint. The tree guy had merely cut them down and ground stumps, and those were some big ass trees. I told him he needed to stop work immediately. He had a little temper tantrum.
  • I will save you the details at this point, but he ended up abandoning the job (and has since forfeited his license and gone out of business). He did not. however, return deposit and the excavation ended up costing about 50% more than originally budgeted because the tree guy screwed everything up so badly. Lawsuit is filed but you can't squeeze blood from a turnip (so Mrs 71 wants for 3 lbs of flesh instead)
  • The bank agreed to let me be my own GC, provided I hired a real GC as a consultant. The new guy has been great and has been very responsive, answered all my calls and referred me to great subs.
  • The footings were dug the week of Thanksgiving (one part had to go down about 7' to get beneath a stump hole) and it took 33 yards of concrete total to fill footings and piers.
  • After that, things went relatively smoothly- the framing guy was/is great and my mechanical subs are really good too. And of course, we picked a very difficult house to build that is pretty cut up and the plans weren't worth a damn. Here's are some pics of the floor framing (doesn't quite show the entire house)
    15844240_1483769248301355_1241646388689861660_o.jpg
15875423_1483770818301198_7298942855100488733_o.jpg

Here's a pic with framing mostly finished:

16991664_1550847301593549_623009251699851718_o.jpg

• Since then, it's been a pretty big pain in the ass dealing with a lot of the finishing subs- the floor guy tried to overcharge us, the original electrical contractor would never show up and rough in, so I had to fire him and he pitched a fit and so on.
  • Now, the problems are that subs will show up to do a job, then tell me that the house isn't ready yet. For instance, the HVAC sub came to finish and put the condensers in, but he couldn't because I hadn't backfilled yet. Well, no one told me to f'ing backfill or else I would have had that done. Similar story with cabinets, countertops, garage door, tile and so on. These guys all know that I don't have a clue what I am doing and that they need to help me and if they do so, I will pay the day the job is done and I will pay in cash.
  • Last night's post was made because of cabinets, which my wife insisted on getting from Lowe's (against my advice). Do not get cabinets from Lowe's even if they are free. Lowe's has been the worst of the subs, and there isn't a close second. And all they did was cabinets.
And, making matters worse, my wife also got pissed off at our former landlord and basically told him to go F himself over a $40 drawer for the refrigerator. The problem was that we were month to month on our lease, so he sent us packing. So now we are having to bounce around from furnished rental to furnished rental (AirBNB) with 4 cats and a dog while the subs point fingers to try to tell me what should have been done before they can start working.

It's gonna be a great house though if it ever gets finished. All the siding is up now (stonework is starting today, God willing)- I will take another picture and post later.

that's an impressive explanation and photos, thank you...and good luck to you.

i have different issues arising...more about deadlines from the architect, builder repeatedly asking if we think certain things are functional(which i appreciate), and the designer being budget conscious...for instance, i need a microwave more than "we" need a steam oven.

also, i plan to run for an upcoming open hoa board position in january.

I get that a large part of the pain stems from me having to be the GC while also working a full time job. But these subs will do anything to put you off and it just wears you the hell down.

Yeah, being a GC would be tough for me because I don't know the correct sequence. Sounds like it has been a hassle for sure.

@UNC71-00 Sending good vibes your way that the whole process ends soon. I know y'all will love the finished product and it will make it all worth the trouble. Plus, even though it kinda sucks you have to be your own GC, I bet you'll feel even more pride in the finished product because of it. Hang in there!

Plus.... no HOA and no immediate neighbors. That will be heaven.

I doubt you will get anything out of the original contractor. That's a tough situation with him abandoning it right out the gate.

I have dealt with people in the past who fired their contractors. It's a hard place to be in. Can the new contractor not advise you on a proper chain of events? You need someone local and familiar with the subs you are dealing with.

You have a nice looking house bty. And yes, Lowes/Home Depot are the Jekyll and Hyde options for cabinets.

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful house . . ! Sorry for all the troubles you are going thru to get this project finished.

I doubt you will get anything out of the original contractor. That's a tough situation with him abandoning it right out the gate.

I have dealt with people in the past who fired their contractors. It's a hard place to be in. Can the new contractor not advise you on a proper chain of events? You need someone local and familiar with the subs you are dealing with.

You have a nice looking house bty. And yes, Lowes/Home Depot are the Jekyll and Hyde options for cabinets.

Yeah, he is keeping me informed of proper chain of events, but because he is not involved on a daily basis, I understand how things (like backfilling, for instance) slip under the radar.

Yeah, he is keeping me informed of proper chain of events, but because he is not involved on a daily basis, I understand how things (like backfilling, for instance) slip under the radar.
I feel for you. But I must say, it's a mighty fine looking house.
Are your pics geotagged so we all know how to get there now?

Go ahead. It's gotta be more interesting than a leaf blower, right?
Don't....

• So, in May of 2016, my then contractor contracted with a sub to excavate and clear easement and lay down a gravel driveway and clear and excavate homesite and prepare pad. The GC did not hire the right sub for the job- he hired a tree guy, not an excavation company. Furthermore, the tree guy he hired wasn't worth a shit at all. It took the tree guy about 4 months to do a job that should have taken 2 weeks.
  • In Sept of 2016, the site had finally been cleared (according to GC) and time for footings to be dug. The following week he sent me a picture of his guys HAND DIGGING THE FOOTINGS. The reason they were hand digging the footings is because no foundation guy would touch it owing to the fact that the stumps had not been removed from the footprint. The tree guy had merely cut them down and ground stumps, and those were some big ass trees. I told him he needed to stop work immediately. He had a little temper tantrum.
  • I will save you the details at this point, but he ended up abandoning the job (and has since forfeited his license and gone out of business). He did not. however, return deposit and the excavation ended up costing about 50% more than originally budgeted because the tree guy screwed everything up so badly. Lawsuit is filed but you can't squeeze blood from a turnip (so Mrs 71 wants for 3 lbs of flesh instead)
  • The bank agreed to let me be my own GC, provided I hired a real GC as a consultant. The new guy has been great and has been very responsive, answered all my calls and referred me to great subs.
  • The footings were dug the week of Thanksgiving (one part had to go down about 7' to get beneath a stump hole) and it took 33 yards of concrete total to fill footings and piers.
  • After that, things went relatively smoothly- the framing guy was/is great and my mechanical subs are really good too. And of course, we picked a very difficult house to build that is pretty cut up and the plans weren't worth a damn. Here's are some pics of the floor framing (doesn't quite show the entire house)

• Since then, it's been a pretty big pain in the ass dealing with a lot of the finishing subs- the floor guy tried to overcharge us, the original electrical contractor would never show up and rough in, so I had to fire him and he pitched a fit and so on.
  • Now, the problems are that subs will show up to do a job, then tell me that the house isn't ready yet. For instance, the HVAC sub came to finish and put the condensers in, but he couldn't because I hadn't backfilled yet. Well, no one told me to f'ing backfill or else I would have had that done. Similar story with cabinets, countertops, garage door, tile and so on. These guys all know that I don't have a clue what I am doing and that they need to help me and if they do so, I will pay the day the job is done and I will pay in cash.
  • Last night's post was made because of cabinets, which my wife insisted on getting from Lowe's (against my advice). Do not get cabinets from Lowe's even if they are free. Lowe's has been the worst of the subs, and there isn't a close second. And all they did was cabinets.
And, making matters worse, my wife also got pissed off at our former landlord and basically told him to go F himself over a $40 drawer for the refrigerator. The problem was that we were month to month on our lease, so he sent us packing. So now we are having to bounce around from furnished rental to furnished rental (AirBNB) with 4 cats and a dog while the subs point fingers to try to tell me what should have been done before they can start working.

It's gonna be a great house though if it ever gets finished. All the siding is up now (stonework is starting today, God willing)- I will take another picture and post later.
Dammit.

Impressed the bank let you be your own GC. That practice has largely gone away unless you can demonstrate you know what you are doing. Where are you building? How is it going since this post?

My wife and I own a commercial architecture business in NoVa, but I have experience in mortgage lending. Building a house has to be a top 5 stressful life endeavor. Ranks up there with pregnancy and executing an estate.

Impressed the bank let you be your own GC. That practice has largely gone away unless you can demonstrate you know what you are doing. Where are you building? How is it going since this post?

My wife and I own a commercial architecture business in NoVa, but I have experience in mortgage lending. Building a house has to be a top 5 stressful life endeavor. Ranks up there with pregnancy and executing an estate.

Yes- we had to hire a consultant who has a GC license before bank would allow us to pull our own permit.

Building near Saxapahaw in the southern part of Alamance county.

Its going slightly better, but it's hell getting the finishing subs to do anything (cabinets, countertops, floors, tile, etc)

And yes, it is extraordinarily stressful. My Miller Lite bill has been through the roof this year.

Yes- we had to hire a consultant who has a GC license before bank would allow us to pull our own permit.

Building near Saxapahaw in the southern part of Alamance county.

Its going slightly better, but it's hell getting the finishing subs to do anything (cabinets, countertops, floors, tile, etc)

And yes, it is extraordinarily stressful. My Miller Lite bill has been through the roof this year.
Good luck. We are in the business and do this with properties every couple years and I still lose sleep over it...

When we were building, the economic collapse of 2008 hit and bankrupted my contractor who was also a friend. We parted ways for my own protection, but on good terms. I had to finish it as my own GC but knew all the subs by that point and they kept me in line and on track. I did end up getting some guidance from another contractor friend toward the end.

It took way longer than it should have, but we got it done the way we wanted it.

i have different issues arising...more about deadlines from the architect, builder repeatedly asking if we think certain things are functional(which i appreciate), and the designer being budget conscious...for instance, i need a microwave more than "we" need a steam oven.

about four months left, lol

I couldn’t see the pics so I will have to take your word on that. Any idea why I can’t view the pics?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT