ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the new OC?

I'm more worried about the 2024 O than 2023. With Maye, the TE group, and a few decent WR, the O will be top-25.

But 2024... Who knows once we don't have Maye.

Seems like a HC-in-waiting could get the best candidate that can bring quality assistants.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I'm more worried about the 2024 O than 2023. With Maye, the TE group, and a few decent WR, the O will be top-25.

Seems like a HC-in-waiting could get the best candidate that can bring quality assistants.
Now is the time that boosters with clout need to stand up and demand such an arrangement, if not demanding that Mack retire now. If Mack is allowed to keep muddling on, there is not telling how deep a hole the program will be in just another couple years.

Yeah, a year with Maye makes this an attractive job for next year. After that not so much. But, it's easier for a coordinator to get a new job after a year, so if someone gets here and doesn't like it they should be able to move on pretty easily.

Hiring a top level OC is going to be a tough battle at this point. Yes, you do get a chance to work with Drake Maye, but on the other hand you are working for a 70 plus aged HC who had a highly rated team in 21 do nothing, and then a team with promise this year just totally go in the tank at the end of the year. UNC football is at a crossroads whether Bubba, and the big donors, care to acknowledge it. Am sure Mack's plan was to coach four years, or so, and get UNC at least a threat to win the league. At this point, it may be time to forget the little walk with Mack down memory lane and move into the future if anybody in Chapel Hill is truly serious about football

Reactions: Archer2
HCiW sounds like a pipe dream (unless it is the wrong coach of course, lol)

Is Kliff K going to be fired from the Cardinals? He's the type who might be interested in OC for a yr to get his feet wet back in college. More dreaming.

Reactions: gteeitup
Other question, do you wait for someone that will finish out their bowl or come now?

An air-raid dude could probably come up w a good game plan vs Oregon.

Is Kliff K going to be fired from the Cardinals? He's the type who might be interested in OC for a yr to get his feet wet back in college. More dreaming.

Kingsbury is probably the top of the pile on the list of guys you'd want to get for that type of role. But if Carolina can get a guy like that then there's no reason to pussy foot around and hire him as an OC. Give him a fat HC contract and let Mack know that we'd be thrilled to have him as an advisor.

Probably couldn't lure him to Chapel Hill anyways, but an 8 figure a year contract might do it. That's probably the best chance Carolina has of being a real competitor in the near future. Still would need more in the war chest for a really good defensive staff.

It's a great sounding pipe dream.

It’s gonna be tough to find a quality guy unless we tell him he’s HC after one more year of Mack. I wish Mack would do the right thing and either assume a fundraising role or retire. He doesn’t possess the fire or the hunger anymore, he’s just enjoying the life. Lord knows he has plenty of money.

Kingsbury is probably the top of the pile on the list of guys you'd want to get for that type of role. But if Carolina can get a guy like that then there's no reason to pussy foot around and hire him as an OC. Give him a fat HC contract and let Mack know that we'd be thrilled to have him as an advisor.

Probably couldn't lure him to Chapel Hill anyways, but an 8 figure a year contract might do it. That's probably the best chance Carolina has of being a real competitor in the near future. Still would need more in the war chest for a really good defensive staff.

I agree that if you are going to pay real huge money for an OC, you might as well make the full change and stop living in the past and hoping against any reason that mack is going to be different tomorrow and magically revive 1997.

I think that Taylor Vippolis and Jason Staples are correct that there has been major tension between mack and Longo this year - Vippolis has been astounded that Mack has repeatedly slapped at the offense and Longo in press conferences while invariably praising the D. Mack's history tells me that Mack has been negative about Longo because Mack's most favorite boys among the assistant are Bly, Cross, and Thigpen - and to address the many issues on D (which are all rooted in piss poor fundamentals at all 3 positions groups) is to call attention to the very poor D position coaches that Mack forced on. 2 DCs.

Mack is always biggest on those he sees as his old friends and those who see him as mentor. It was central to his getting fired at Texas, and it has been huge in this staff helping Mack underachieve.

That said, the only coach I think that Mack might have been more than barely OK with becoming his new OC and HC in Waiting is Tom Herman, because Herman was a GA at Texas and has spoken many times about Mack helping him get a good start in coaching.

This program is perched precariously on another precipice because Mack's issues he did not discard in Austin and age and the current round of underachieving.

You don't wait. If you can get who you want today, then get him.
I poorly worded my question.

If you have one guy you like more than others who won't come immediately, do you settle for less just to get them onboard sooner for sake of recruiting and retention and all that?

Kingsbury's record as an HC wasn't amazing. I'm not entirely sure you want to hand him the keys immediately. But letting him kinda trial for a year might a nice option if Mack is sticking around.

It’s gonna be tough to find a quality guy unless we tell him he’s HC after one more year of Mack. I wish Mack would do the right thing and either assume a fundraising role or retire. He doesn’t possess the fire or the hunger anymore, he’s just enjoying the life. Lord knows he has plenty of money.
Yes and no. One path to HC is being elevated after the old guy retires, and Mack's retirement seems pretty imminent compared to most other HCs out there. Even if we don't make promises it might be obvious.

Kingsbury's record as an HC wasn't amazing. I'm not entirely sure you want to hand him the keys immediately. But letting him kinda trial for a year might a nice option if Mack is sticking around.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Not because there aren't coaches with a better track record as a HC, but because we're almost certainly not going to do better with the next hire.

I poorly worded my question.

If you have one guy you like more than others who won't come immediately, do you settle for less just to get them onboard sooner for sake of recruiting and retention and all that?
As long as he's saying he will come, then you wait. Now, if he wants to try to keep it quiet, then you have to take a chance he might back out. In that case, you would have to consider if he's so good you want to take that risk. I don't think recruiting and retention is an issue on the offensive side, so we could afford to wait if there is an agreement in place.

i would love this...he's pretty much gone from what i see.

How about Garrett Riley? Up and comer. Lincoln’s younger brother. OC at TCU. I think it could be a home run hire. Am I crazy?
It would be a great hire, but UNC won't pay him enough. The university doesn't like to pay it's coaches in any sport. But if anyone would have the pull to get them to open the wallet, it's Mack. The question is does he think it's needed.

How about Garrett Riley? Up and comer. Lincoln’s younger brother. OC at TCU. I think it could be a home run hire. Am I crazy?
Would be a great hire. He could come for one year, knock it out of the park and either be the HC at UNC in 2024 or a bigger job somewhere else. Not sure what TCU has coming back but the chance to work with arguably the #1 draft pick in the 2024 class has to be appealing.

My question is who will be calling plays in the bowl game.

All of this concern over 19 year-old kids throwing a football around! It's so bizarre when you step back from it a little.
here’s an idea, if you’re a head coach, don’t worry about filling an incoming class with high school talent…go find a scout and have him solely focus on the portal and become the best at that.

maybe they’ll name an award after the position like they did after frank broyles.

here’s an idea, if you’re a head coach, don’t worry about filling an incoming class with high school talent…go find a scout and have him solely focus on the portal and become the best at that.

maybe they’ll name an award after the position like they did after frank broyles.
Well, the portal is creating unprecedented change. You could grab some kids that have already been coached-up a little at the elite schools (OSU, Bama, etc.) and hope they are bringing the skills with them. But, it's also possible that those players were just duds and those big programs basically cut-bait when they left. In a way, it does make sense to give your team as much experience as possible. High school kids don't bring that at all.

But, I agree that you might need a staff for JUST the portal!

My question is who will be calling plays in the bowl game.
If i'm a new OC, i'm not sure I want to be on display that bowl game.

There isn't time to install a new system, you gotta use pre-existing calls and stuff - I don't know whether this is tough or not. I guess you could learn the old playbook (didn't seem like there were many), try to scheme up some wrinkles based on the pre-existing concepts.

You are a week behind in terms of scouting Oregon. You don't have an OL coach. You don't have Josh Downs.

But the new OC does want to be retaining highschooler recruits and attracting portal WR/OL.

So probably Galloway.

The risk is that as OC under Sonny Dykes, who also is a Texas wizard on offense, perhaps young Riley as OC at TCU is being puffed up by his HC, whose vision rules that offense.

I have no idea if that is the case, but because young Riley is so young, it very could be for all we can guess based on his almost non-existent history.

How much risk should we take hoping for a quick Home Run?

At this point, I think perhaps we should make such a move. That might be the only way ton get out of this nightmare of mediocre followed by mediocre followed by way over the hill.

The risk is that as OC under Sonny Dykes, who also is a Texas wizard on offense, perhaps young Riley as OC at TCU is being puffed up by his HC, whose vision rules that offense.

I have no idea if that is the case, but because young Riley is so young, it very could be for all we can guess based on his almost non-existent history.

At this point, I think perhaps we should make such a move. That might be the only way ton get out of this nightmare of mediocre followed by mediocre followed by way over the hill.
Might, maybe and perhaps? Your bases are all covered with that assessment!

Reactions: tarheel0910
what’s jeff scott doin now?
Nothing since getting fired as USF HC.

My take on him and Elliott is that they made a great co-OC team at Clemson, but that without Scott, Elliott became just an average OC. We know Scott has shown nothing as HC and neither has Elliott (though only 1 year). So, I would not want Scott as OC unless he is paired with Elliott. I would bet that Scott as solo OC is going to be something well less than the Scott-Elliottt team was, just as Eliott was well less than the Scott-Ellliott team.

We need younger guys on the staff. They tend to see things in different ways than the older coaches and we have one of the oldest staffs. It also helps with recruiting.

Might, maybe and perhaps? Your bases are all covered with that assessment!
The less history a guy has, the harder it is to make an educated guess about what he really can do. If young Riley were OC under a coach who was a defensive mastermind, then we could be sure that what TCU is doing offensively is all him and not the HC. But because Sonny Stykes is another of the Texas offensive wizards, we can't be certain how much of what TCU has Dione on offense this year isn Dykes and how much is Riley.

It would be a gamble.

We need younger guys on the staff. They tend to see things in different ways than the older coaches and we have one of the oldest staffs. It also helps with recruiting.
Younger for its own sake is stupid. Younger to be hip is stupid. Just as stupid assuming that a coach in his 70s can be as sharp as he was at age 50.

We have had very good recruiting under Old Mack. What we lack is actual top notch coaching in all the other facets of the game.

Younger for its own sake is stupid. Younger to be hip is stupid. Just as stupid assuming that a coach in his 70s can be as sharp as he was at age 50.

We have had very good recruiting under Old Mack. What we lack is actual top notch coaching in all the other facets of the game.
This wouldn't be hiring young for it's own sake. It would be hiring because every expert and coach thinks this guy is good at his job. You know what is stupid? Bitching about your coaches being too old, then bitching about replacements being too young. I guess all the coaches that we hire need to be in their mid 30s with 20 years of experience to meet your age requirements.

If mack brings in Riley , he might be the next HC of the Heels .. just a thought, young up & coming. Mack's replacement...

lol why tf would riley come to ch when he could go anywhere else?

besides, who thinks carolina is outbidding tcu for the services of an assistant coach?…why didn’t they keep gillespie, an ace recruiter and coach?…oh wait, i know why.

deion is hiring all kinds of guys…alabama secondary coach is now his d-cord…he’s a good one.

and supposedly colorado has no money.

lol why tf would riley come to ch when he could go anywhere else?

besides, who thinks carolina is outbidding tcu for the services of an assistant coach?…why didn’t they keep gillespie, an ace recruiter and coach?…oh wait, i know why.
He wouldn't come. He was just being used as an example. UNC will never pay what it needs to pay for a guy like him. It is an attractive job though. Get to coach a Heisman level QB and use that year to get a better job somewhere else.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT