ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the new OC?

Looks like there was a meeting between a potential OC candidate and Mack Brown on Friday but everything seems to be very hush hush. Folks do believe that Riley is a candidate. OC will be hired first and then the OL coach afterwards. Galloway will call the plays vs Oregon.

Looks like there was a meeting between a potential OC candidate and Mack Brown on Friday but everything seems to be very hush hush. Folks do believe that Riley is a candidate. OC will be hired first and then the OL coach afterwards. Galloway will call the plays vs Oregon.
Are they trying to make the hire ASAP or will they wait until after the bowl to decide?

would have to guarantee him the HC job within a few years and throw a lot of money at him. And he’d still probably not be interested
He owes Mack nothing and can gain nothing from Mack. Mack is not Nick Saban in any sense. ADs are not clamoring to have a former Mack assistant as their next HC. So I think your assessment is spot on. Young Riley is going to have any number of ADs at schools in his home region who are very interested in him as possible next HC.

And he will have a QB next year was TCU who could light up the Big 12. Chandler Morris was the starter for TCU until injury knocked him out. He returns for 2023. Plus, staying at TCU means that young Riley will not risk a new OL coach. Many people on this board seem to assume that coordinators are immune from the incompetence, and intentional derailing, of position coaches. But the simple fact iOS that even the smartest OC in the country can be made to look absolutely terrible by lousy position coaches. And Mack has a very kong history of hiring and retaining weak, and terrible, position coaches because he sees them as friends totally loyal to him.

If you were a Jimmy Sexton with young Riley signed with your agency, would you think it makes sense to pack him off to serve under Mack?

If you were a Jimmy Sexton with young Riley signed with your agency, would you think it makes sense to pack him off to serve under Mack?
If his goal is to be a P5 head coach at a school that has everything you need to build a program, then yes it makes perfect sense. If he can get some agreement in place to take the head job, then it would be smart. Not everyone hates this program/school as much as you. No need to reply with your usual Mack would never step down, basketball onlys wouldn't let the program be successful, blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: Archer2
It would be a great hire, but UNC won't pay him enough. The university doesn't like to pay it's coaches in any sport. But if anyone would have the pull to get them to open the wallet, it's Mack. The question is does he think it's needed.
not sure if anyone is realizing that Kingsbury was who Mack wanted at OC before he settled on Longo.

Kingsbury of course knows air raid, but he's also supposed to be good at developing QB's. I want Kingsbury. Make it happen.

not sure if anyone is realizing that Kingsbury was who Mack wanted at OC before he settled on Longo.

Kingsbury of course knows air raid, but he's also supposed to be good at developing QB's. I want Kingsbury. Make it happen.
If I recall correctly, we weren't willing to pay enough to get him. I think it was the real USC that was willing to pay more, but the NFL came along before he could start.

Reactions: bluetoe
If I recall correctly, we weren't willing to pay enough to get him. I think it was the real USC that was willing to pay more, but the NFL came along before he could start.
yep, that sounds right. And prolly still true.

He owes Mack nothing and can gain nothing from Mack. Mack is not Nick Saban in any sense. ADs are not clamoring to have a former Mack assistant as their next HC. So I think your assessment is spot on. Young Riley is going to have any number of ADs at schools in his home region who are very interested in him as possible next HC.

And he will have a QB next year was TCU who could light up the Big 12. Chandler Morris was the starter for TCU until injury knocked him out. He returns for 2023. Plus, staying at TCU means that young Riley will not risk a new OL coach. Many people on this board seem to assume that coordinators are immune from the incompetence, and intentional derailing, of position coaches. But the simple fact iOS that even the smartest OC in the country can be made to look absolutely terrible by lousy position coaches. And Mack has a very kong history of hiring and retaining weak, and terrible, position coaches because he sees them as friends totally loyal to him.

You are one negative mofo. If you got a job making $300K a year tasting pies in a pie factory, you’d complain about gaining weight. You are never going to be happy about UNC sports, never. You don’t have it in you.

You are one negative mofo. If you got a job making $300K a year tasting pies in a pie factory, you’d complain about gaining weight. You are never going to be happy about UNC sports, never. You don’t have it in you.
Not even Rat-face going out losing to UNC could make me happy. Right? Not even Dick Crum's 4 consecutive bowls wins over Major conference foes could make me happy, right? Not even Dooley and Crum winning ACC Championships would make me see the positives in their eras, right?

What I am is a realist who knows that failure to see all the looming bad guarantees that bad will take over at some point before long. That, for example, is why I knew that Crum's time to go had arrived when he went 5-6 for the 2nd time in 3 seasons. All the signs said that his days of having UNC at the top of the ACC were over, hence it was time for him to go. I was happy about UNC doing that before Crum's tenure ended like Fedora's would later. I was not thrilled about hiring Mack, but I saw all the positives, because getting Tulane to a bowl was a tough thing to do.

I think we should reward Dry Bly with a promotion and make him OC. I mean, he has the best DB's in college football. Keep it in the family ya'll.

Not even Rat-face going out losing to UNC could make me happy. Right? Not even Dick Crum's 4 consecutive bowls wins over Major conference foes could make me happy, right? Not even Dooley and Crum winning ACC Championships would make me see the positives in their eras, right?

What I am is a realist who knows that failure to see all the looming bad guarantees that bad will take over at some point before long. That, for example, is why I knew that Crum's time to go had arrived when he went 5-6 for the 2nd time in 3 seasons. All the signs said that his days of having UNC at the top of the ACC were over, hence it was time for him to go. I was happy about UNC doing that before Crum's tenure ended like Fedora's would later. I was not thrilled about hiring Mack, but I saw all the positives, because getting Tulane to a bowl was a tough thing to do.
I am glad that you’ve been able to to find some small measure of pleasure over all those years. You just seem angry all the time. Maybe we’ll take a chance on an up and coming coach and it will work out to everyone’s liking.

Reactions: bluetoe
It's hilarious that people think Dre Bly is still the primary DB coach on staff.
Bly is the CB coach who is not expected to coach because even Mack knows he cannot do that job. Somehow he is so valuable for recruiting that he must be hired not todo the job of actual SB coaching so he can recruit.

Position coaches who do not know what they are doing always cause problems on the staff and team. Mack never should have hired Bly, because the signal was that to Mack the grandpa, being seen as his buddy was far more important than actually being competent to do the job.

Bly's bad influence from having a job for which he is not qualified is not going to evaporate just because Warren is trying to teach the current DBs who things should be done. That could only be done within a year if Bly had been fired. With Bly on the staff, it may never be totally undone.

Cross was clearly far more qualified of rights job than Bly was for his, but Cross is not capable pf producing a consistently tough, smart playing DL at this level. For the D to take major steps, at least Bly and Cross need to be replaced with better options.

I am glad that you’ve been able to to find some small measure of pleasure over all those years. You just seem angry all the time. Maybe we’ll take a chance on an up and coming coach and it will work out to everyone’s liking.
It has been since 1980 that UNC football won the ACC Championship. That's a very long time.

Sometimes the best hire that would come to UNC football is an up and comer who has never been HC. Sometimes it is a guy who has already shown what he can do. The longer it goes between those ACC Championships, and between legit Top 10 teams, the harder it is to have the guys from either grouping want to risk going to UNC.

TCU is a smaller private school, but its football history this century dwarfs UNC's football history. That ought to be a sobering fact that leads people to see just how dire is the situation, which means how further debilitating it is to tolerate mediocrity. The real problem in terms of Mack 2.0 is that all the powerful, socially prestigious people in the Chapel Hill and UNC-CH societies love Sally and really like Mack, as pleasant dinner party companions. Most of them would be happier to have endless 6-6 teams with that couple in town than to win the ACC with a coach (and wife) they see as beneath their social status.

Bly is the CB coach who is not expected to coach because even Mack knows he cannot do that job. Somehow he is so valuable for recruiting that he must be hired not todo the job of actual SB coaching so he can recruit.

Position coaches who do not know what they are doing always cause problems on the staff and team. Mack never should have hired Bly, because the signal was that to Mack the grandpa, being seen as his buddy was far more important than actually being competent to do the job.

Bly's bad influence from having a job for which he is not qualified is not going to evaporate just because Warren is trying to teach the current DBs who things should be done. That could only be done within a year if Bly had been fired. With Bly on the staff, it may never be totally undone.

Cross was clearly far more qualified of rights job than Bly was for his, but Cross is not capable pf producing a consistently tough, smart playing DL at this level. For the D to take major steps, at least Bly and Cross need to be replaced with better options.
Not sure what point you're trying to make here. Dre Bly is less experienced at the college level. He's a good mentor and recruiter because he relates well to young people. You think every position coach is just an on-the-field guy? You'd be wrong.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS

Lol

It has been since 1980 that UNC football won the ACC Championship. That's a very long time.

Sometimes the best hire that would come to UNC football is an up and comer who has never been HC. Sometimes it is a guy who has already shown what he can do. The longer it goes between those ACC Championships, and between legit Top 10 teams, the harder it is to have the guys from either grouping want to risk going to UNC.

TCU is a smaller private school, but its football history this century dwarfs UNC's football history. That ought to be a sobering fact that leads people to see just how dire is the situation, which means how further debilitating it is to tolerate mediocrity. The real problem in terms of Mack 2.0 is that all the powerful, socially prestigious people in the Chapel Hill and UNC-CH societies love Sally and really like Mack, as pleasant dinner party companions. Most of them would be happier to have endless 6-6 teams with that couple in town than to win the ACC with a coach (and wife) they see as beneath their social status.
Gotta get some new material. Getting way too stale.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Whoa, so does this mean the OC has been hired but is waiting til after bowl for announcement?
Yea, no way the OC didn't approve of this hire. Kendal Briles is currently with Arkansas and has a ton of experience working with the new OL coach as does the Oklahoma OC, Jeff Lebby. I expect it's one of those 2.

Last edited:
Yea, no way the OC didn't approve of this hire. Kendal Briles is currently with Arkansas and has a ton of experience working with the new OL coach as does the Oklahoma OC, Jeff Lebby. I expect it's one of those 2.
I’m down with that. Let’s roll. I’m almost always optimistic when a regime change occurs. I just want to see UNC win another conference championship before I die. I’m 69!

Last edited:
Reactions: CURRY2WOODYR80
This appears to be the first yr Lebby has coached under a D-minded HC. He was under Heupel, Kiffin, Briles in the past. Oklahoma any good this yr on O?

This appears to be the first yr Lebby has coached under a D-minded HC. He was under Heupel, Kiffin, Briles in the past. Oklahoma any good this yr on O?
Struggled without their starting QB but did well with him in there. Lincoln didn’t leave them much to work with.

Reactions: blazers
Whoa, so does this mean the OC has been hired but is waiting til after bowl for announcement?
Clements was OL coach under Seth Littrell at UNT. He was OL coach 1 years at Ole Miss and 1 year at FSU, and Bylor form7 or 8 years. So he is a Briles guy all the way back. If Butch Davis had brought in a coach with all those ties to Art Briles, heads would have exp[loded as people wept and prayed that the such evil not light in Chapel Hill. If Mack does it, it must be OK.

I have not seen even 1 play in a UNT game since Littrell's 1st, maybe 2nd, season there. So I have no idea what to think about Clements for UNC. I do know that the OL had made some improvement this year under Bicknell. Hopefully that continues.

Who knows what it means for OC? Clements is not the hottest name for any P5 OL job right now, and Seth Littrell is unlikely to get another D1 HC job this year. So Clements would jump at any P5 offer.

I now wonder if the earlier chatter that Littrell might return as UNC OC is true. But as he is not UNT HC any more, why wouldn't that already be announced? Is Mack's plan to first hire Clements and use that as another piece top get Littrell?

Clements was OL coach under Seth Littrell at UNT. He was OL coach 1 years at Ole Miss and 1 year at FSU, and Bylor form7 or 8 years. So he is a Briles guy all the way back. If Butch Davis had brought in a coach with all those ties to Art Briles, heads would have exp[loded as people wept and prayed that the such evil not light in Chapel Hill. If Mack does it, it must be OK.

I have not seen even 1 play in a UNT game since Littrell's 1st, maybe 2nd, season there. So I have no idea what to think about Clements for UNC. I do know that the OL had made some improvement this year under Bicknell. Hopefully that continues.

Who knows what it means for OC? Clements is not the hottest name for any P5 OL job right now, and Seth Littrell is unlikely to get another D1 HC job this year. So Clements would jump at any P5 offer.

I now wonder if the earlier chatter that Littrell might return as UNC OC is true. But as he is not UNT HC any more, why wouldn't that already be announced? Is Mack's plan to first hire Clements and use that as another piece top get Littrell?
Littrell isn't a QB coach, so I doubt it's him unless Mack is replacing another coach.

Lebby is making 5.7 million over three years, so if he's a serious option then that tells me Mack is pulling some weight in the money department. That's good to see.

Lebby is making 5.7 million over three years, so if he's a serious option then that tells me Mack is pulling some weight in the money department. That's good to see.
Why would Lebby want to leave OU. OU football to UNC football is not a lateral move, any more than UNC basketball to OU basketball is lateral. Actually, the basketball is closer to lateral because OU has made the FInal Four.

What OU has to get done first is the fix D, which has been wrong since Bob Stoops rehired Mike Stoops. and then blamed all the team issues on OC Josh Heupel and fired him. The OU D ever since has under-performed and been erratic.

AS for the money, it makes no sense to pay that mionbey to an OC unless he is Coach in Waiting. But Lebby is an OU alum. Why would he this early agree to be UNC HC in waiting? A bunch of OU fans now would be OK with replacing Venables with him. And when he gets the OU offense fully clicking, more will be on that bandwagon unless Venables corrects the D.

Why would Lebby want to leave OU. OU football to UNC football is not a lateral move, any more than UNC basketball to OU basketball is lateral. Actually, the basketball is closer to lateral because OU has made the FInal Four.

What OU has to get done first is the fix D, which has been wrong since Bob Stoops rehired Mike Stoops. and then blamed all the team issues on OC Josh Heupel and fired him. The OU D ever since has under-performed and been erratic.

AS for the money, it makes no sense to pay that mionbey to an OC unless he is Coach in Waiting. But Lebby is an OU alum. Why would he this early agree to be UNC HC in waiting? A bunch of OU fans now would be OK with replacing Venables with him. And when he gets the OU offense fully clicking, more will be on that bandwagon unless Venables corrects the D.
You're missing the point I was making, which is unsurprising since it's actually good for the program. It's irrelevant to my point if he would come. What's relevant is that the money guys would be willing to put up the money to get better. Something they haven't done in the past and something you continuously bitch about.

You're missing the point I was making, which is unsurprising since it's actually good for the program. It's irrelevant to my point if he would come. What's relevant is that the money guys would be willing to put up the money to get better. Something they haven't done in the past and something you continuously bitch about.
It is always about the guy first. Talking about how you would put up the money is meaningless if the guy for whom you would put up the money would not take it.

Perhaps you live in too much of a fairy dreamland. In this case, that dreamland would have 2 components: that that UNC would pay a coordinator (who has not even won a National Championship as coordinator) nearly 2 million per year and the other that Lebby would leave his alma mater for a lesser program.

If Butch Davis had brought in a coach with all those ties to Art Briles, heads would have exp[loded as people wept and prayed that the such evil not light in Chapel Hill. If Mack does it, it must be OK.
Those basketball-firsters must be getting weak!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT