ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the new OC?

He wouldn't come. He was just being used as an example. UNC will never pay what it needs to pay for a guy like him. It is an attractive job though. Get to coach a Heisman level QB and use that year to get a better job somewhere else.
Is UNC that friggin' poor??? I had no idea! lol

Not poor, just cheap. The money guys are too old school. They still believe Chapel Hill itself should be good enough. The honor of coaching at such a prestigious institution.
Ohhhh, okay. There is a difference. You'd think after 40+ years of being cheap, and noticing the $$$ rolling-in to places like Clemson, that spend-some-to-make-some would kick in at some point.

The landscape of Clemson has changed SO MUCH over the last 6-8 years!

I guess they have a real fondness for average teams with former players/coaches at the helm.

Reactions: gteeitup
The less history a guy has, the harder it is to make an educated guess about what he really can do. If young Riley were OC under a coach who was a defensive mastermind, then we could be sure that what TCU is doing offensively is all him and not the HC. But because Sonny Stykes is another of the Texas offensive wizards, we can't be certain how much of what TCU has Dione on offense this year isn Dykes and how much is Riley.

It would be a gamble.
Yep. I'd take the gamble though.

Why do we the heels talk every few years about having a good football team when they want pay the head coach or the assistant coaches what it takes to get them here, big time football schools pay there assistants more then our head coach makes, with the exception of mack brown we have not been able to even get a big time coach to look our way because they could be a line coach or defensive coach and get paid twice as much look what Clemson pays there coaches ,we are not even in the top 10 In basketball salaries, and we know what they have done over the years it pathetic ever thinking we will one day be a football power, because the powers to be will never let that happen!

i’m asking jeff scott if he’s interested…the pedigree and recruiting ground is obvious and he knows the conference.

College football is a competitive, for-profit business. How about treating UNC football as such ?? If we want to attract end-of-career or stepping-stone talent, then we are doing a great job, and we are destined for a long-term average of mediocrity, with occasional above average performance. If you want talent, you have to pay for talent. In business. In sports. In life. This is reality.

Ohhhh, okay. There is a difference. You'd think after 40+ years of being cheap, and noticing the $$$ rolling-in to places like Clemson, that spend-some-to-make-some would kick in at some point.

The landscape of Clemson has changed SO MUCH over the last 6-8 years!

I guess they have a real fondness for average teams with former players/coaches at the helm.
they figured it out…that brand is really unmistakable.

carolina has that, but is reluctant to really buy in…again, the people that tell me they’re confused why carolina can’t win in football continues to grow; “they have everything.”

I feel like we're inching fwd. Great facilities have been added, we are landing seemingly big recruits, part of that is Mack, but some is facilities and program stuff.

We just need someone to fix the culture issues (or whatever the softness is)

Reactions: Archer2
deion is hiring all kinds of guys…alabama secondary coach is now his d-cord…he’s a good one.

and supposedly colorado has no money.

One thing he definitely understands is social media marketing and influence. The had about six figures worth of cinema grade camera equipment following him around for that first meeting with the team. It's already all over youtube. Good coordinators probably recognize that this is a high profile gig where their potential success will be well documented and discussed. Perfect springboard for an ambitious up and comer.

Reactions: gteeitup
Kinda weird there are no rumors going around about potential replacements. You usually start hearing a bunch of names by this point.

Kinda weird there are no rumors going around about potential replacements. You usually start hearing a bunch of names by this point.
Well... like you said, UNC is a tight-wad school. They don't pay anything. They're probably looking for some former player, or former coach that was "good one time", in the past. Some nostalgia hire to offer some kind of feel-good appearance.

Well... like you said, UNC is a tight-wad school. They don't pay anything. They're probably looking for some former player, or former coach that was "good one time", in the past. Some nostalgia hire to offer some kind of feel-good appearance.
Maybe, but you usually hear some rumors by now, even if it's something that will never happen. I can't even find one of those "top replacement" articles that are written almost immediately. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one.

Reactions: Archer2
depends…could be a guy in the cfp, a guy trying to hold onto kids, or a guy coaching in a bowl game…this is normal at this point, unless it’s harrell.

the odd thing is how fast longo and the ol coach bolted.

Yep. I'd take the gamble though.
At this point, that may be the only way we see the UNC football program, really take off and escape the mediocre rut.

If Luke Fickell were available and would take the job, he would be the obvious choice. I also would take Matt Rhule in a heartbeat. I also would prefer Tom Harmon if he would leave FAU before coaching a game. But nobody other than Harmon in Mack's coaching tree (and that was brief) is worth considering. So it is taking some young up and comer who may strike magic in Chapel Hill.

But the huge hurdle is getting Mack to step down. I think most of you still think I exaggerate when I try to tell you that the P{owners That Be in UNC athletics have the easy of Administration, and that crowd dearly loves Sally Brown. Unless Mack cheats with sweet young thing and Sally divorces him, that crowd will not want anything done to Mack that means Sally is leaving Chapel Hill. So, somehow Mack must be given a job for which he is eminently qualified - ambassador for UNC athletics as Special Advisor to the AD.

But persuading Mack that his coaching days are downhill will be tough.

depends…could be a guy in the cfp, a guy trying to hold onto kids, or a guy coaching in a bowl game…this is normal at this point, unless it’s harrell.

the odd thing is how fast longo and the ol coach bolted.
Coming to UNC for 1 year with Maye could be a huge gamble.After all, everybody who looks with open eyes and any discernment can see that Mack is one the hill, and his 50s aint coming back. So if you already have a good place, why risk harming your career by trying to save Mack's job?

But if you get a deal in writing that says the HC job will be yours within 2 years off your siding on, then the move is worth the risk, even if Mack as HC keeps flailing./.

Of course, I know that I would not take seven that offer unless Mack allowed me to pick my own OL coach and also decide if I wanted to keep any other position coach on Offense. I would not want to risk my future just as an OC on Mack's now very poor choices for assistants.

Why do we the heels talk every few years about having a good football team when they want pay the head coach or the assistant coaches what it takes to get them here, big time football schools pay there assistants more then our head coach makes, with the exception of mack brown we have not been able to even get a big time coach to look our way because they could be a line coach or defensive coach and get paid twice as much look what Clemson pays there coaches ,we are not even in the top 10 In basketball salaries, and we know what they have done over the years it pathetic ever thinking we will one day be a football power, because the powers to be will never let that happen!
We had Butch Davis, and basketball-first people like Art Chansky worked tirelessly from day 1 to smear and then destroy him. So, sadly, I agree that the Powers That Be at UNC may always act to bring football back to permanent mediocrity. The only way to fight that is to say it openly - stop acting like there is no such history of them doing exactly that. Name the idiocy of unofficial policy/prejudice that prevents the UNC athletics department from becoming as wealthy as a half dozen SEC schools have even thought they have won at sports far less than UNC has.

It is all about football.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
We had Butch Davis, and basketball-first people like Art Chansky worked tirelessly from day 1 to smear and then destroy him. So, sadly, I agree that the Powers That Be at UNC may always act to bring football back to permanent mediocrity. The only way to fight that is to say it openly - stop acting like there is no such history of them doing exactly that. Name the idiocy of unofficial policy/prejudice that prevents the UNC athletics department from becoming as wealthy as a half dozen SEC schools have even thought they have won at sports far less than UNC has.

It is all about football.
Did Chansky beat you up as a kid???

"Basketball first" didn't just drop out of the sky. Before 1957 (and even a while after that) football was much more prominent. The success of the basketball program once Dean got going, along with the human nature proclivity to back a winner, plus some mediocre football teams, led to the preference we now see in many. It is not unreasonable to say that in a very real sense football did itself in. The seed had been planted even with the success of Crum and later Mack 1. And I won't even get into the "impartial" athletic department.

This is how I picture our football and basketball programs after Bubba hands the keys to Mack and Roy and lets them make hiring decisions 😂😂. Go nuts baby!!

Car Chase Hill GIF by Warner Archive

Last edited:
He wouldn't come. He was just being used as an example. UNC will never pay what it needs to pay for a guy like him. It is an attractive job though. Get to coach a Heisman level QB and use that year to get a better job somewhere else.
It's a very attractive job for someone who feels that he is being backed to wake up a sleeping giant and that he will not be handcuffed by the demands of a Mack Brown or any bunch of basketball-first boosters.

Hopefully the Mack debacle has led a large number of top dollar boosters to see that either UNC goes big for football, and does it the right way, or else UNC football might as well save money and drop to 1AA/FCS and have William&Mary, Richmond, and Furman as its great rivals.

1AA/FCS football teams are D1 in basketball. So basketball boosters should be OK with that klve which only highlight the fact that they rule the UNC athletics department.

"Basketball first" didn't just drop out of the sky. Before 1957 (and even a while after that) football was much more prominent. The success of the basketball program once Dean got going, along with the human nature proclivity to back a winner, plus some mediocre football teams, led to the preference we now see in many. It is not unreasonable to say that in a very real sense football did itself in. The seed had been planted even with the success of Crum and later Mack 1. And I won't even get into the "impartial" athletic department.
I've made that same point on here many times, and either people say I don't know what I'm talking about or else ignore me as they claim there's nothing that can be done because UNC has always been just a 'basketball school.'

I've made that same point on here many times, and either people say I don't know what I'm talking about or else ignore me as they claim there's nothing that can be done because UNC has always been just a 'basketball school.'
The basketball crowd is how we ended up with BC in the ACC instead of a WVU.

The basketball crowd is how we ended up with BC in the ACC instead of a WVU.
It wasn't the basketball people, it was the academic people. I still don't see the draw of WVA, though. Would they have been a better choice than BC? Probably, but not much better. They are both the ugly sister.

It's too bad UNC doesn't spend as much on basketball as it does football. We might still have one decent program if we did that. We still kick ass in field hockey, though.

• Haha
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
It wasn't the basketball people, it was the academic people. I still don't see the draw of WVA, though. Would they have been a better choice than BC? Probably, but not much better. They are both the ugly sister.
That's kinda what I meant. The old guard. Boston has a lot more in common with the Triangle than Morgantown. WVU had natural rivalries with Pitt and VT. BC is a small private. We let Louisville in and their academics leave a lot to be desired.

That's kinda what I meant. The old guard. Boston has a lot more in common with the Triangle than Morgantown. WVU had natural rivalries with Pitt and VT. BC is a small private. We let Louisville in and their academics leave a lot to be desired.
To be fair, it wasn't just UNC that was against WVU. It was a decent amount of the ACC. UL was similar as far as academic profile, but the situation wasn't the same. Their athletic department was far better and there really wasn't any other viable option.

Back to the OC discussion, I need some rumors. I'm going to throw out Sean McVey. Heard he didn't like winning as much, so was looking for a change.

Academic people and some non-revenue sports emphasis.

The draw of WVU is that their fans will fill that 60K stadium any time WVU is halfway decent and plays a decent team. Same for their basketball. And WVU fans travel very well. BC provides none of that. They aren't even worth disliking, much less hating. BC is just an endless blah.

Academic people and some non-revenue sports emphasis.

The draw of WVU is that their fans will fill that 60K stadium any time WVU is halfway decent and plays a decent team. Same for their basketball. And WVU fans travel very well. BC provides none of that. They aren't even worth disliking, much less hating. BC is just an endless blah.
That's not a draw in today's world. Most teams will fill a stadium when they are good. ESPN isn't going to give the ACC a big contract because WVU can sell tickets to their own fans. The problem is they aren't relevant. No one cares about WV outside of WV. It's the same problem the ACC has with moo. They aren't relevant outside of their home state.

Back to the OC discussion, I need some rumors. I'm going to throw out Sean McVey. Heard he didn't like winning as much, so was looking for a change.
Caleb Downs (#1 safety recruit and J's bro) is a huge McVey fan and told me he'd come here if we hire McVey.

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
That's not a draw in today's world. Most teams will fill a stadium when they are good. ESPN isn't going to give the ACC a big contract because WVU can sell tickets to their own fans. The problem is they aren't relevant. No one cares about WV outside of WV. It's the same problem the ACC has with moo. They aren't relevant outside of their home state.
BC is not relevant in its now town, much less its own state.

But you are wrong about WVU fans being restricted to the state of WV. There are huge numbers of WVU fans who live too far away from Morgantown to attend games there. They are in significant numbers in MD, VA, NC, PA, and OH. There are more than a few WVU fans in GA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT