ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the one player(recruit) you wish had gone to UNC

HeelFan58

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2011
This would be somebody we had a realistic chance at in other words we were in their final 2-3 choices. Mine would be Ralph Sampson.

Jay Williams would have been ours if Coach Gut had chosen to recruit him.

Dean thought he had Tom McMillen in his pocket . . only to lose him to Lefty at the last minute.

Originally posted by BillyL:

Dean thought he had Tom McMillen in his pocket . . only to lose him to Lefty at the last minute.
This, at least because of my age.

Always a what if game but dook doesn't win a NC without Jay Williams. He woulda been paired up with Forte. That could have been a lethal duo

Danny Manning since I want to go with someone who - I don't think - has been mentioned. Imagine him playing with Kenny Smith and Brad Daugherty.

Reactions: JakeSarna
In my lifetime - Jay Williams. But I agree with Steph Curry too, if UNC was recruiting him.

JR Smith was another one, for me. That McD game where we just went off was the dagger...he was showcasing for NBA scouts.

I feel like I read somewhere that Kevin Garnett would have chosen UNC too if he were forced to go to college - but I could be wrong there.

I like the suggestions for Sampson and Shaq. But we won national championships without them during the years in which they would have been school. So I can't really say we missed out on anything.

I like the Danny Manning and Jay Williams picks too. I don't know if the Williams pick wins us a championship, but I know it keeps duke from winning one. Danny won one at KU with less supporting cast than Jet and Brad. So it's reasonable to think we could have won it with the addition of Manning.

But I think DT probably is the one guy that I'd like to have had most. If for no other reason than to stick it to moo.

Durant was allegedly ready to commit but couldn't clear admissions. Imagine him with Lawson, Ellington, Wright, and Hansbrough in 2007!

Originally posted by Tru Blu Tar Heel:
Durant was allegedly ready to commit but couldn't clear admissions. Imagine him with Lawson, Ellington, Wright, and Hansbrough in 2007!
I thought Roy had to choose between Durant and Wright? IIRC he had one scholly left and offered Brandan.

Oops?
This post was edited on 4/17 3:07 PM by tarheelbybirth

Carmelo Anthony - Heard he really valued us up there with Quse but Forte told him not to go because of Doherty.

Also, if the high school rule was in place, would've been interesting to see if Lebron James would've chosen us or OSU. Rumor was he really loved and wanted to play at UNC because of Mike.

Originally posted by uncfanatic:

Originally posted by BillyL:

This, at least because of my age.

Always a what if game but dook doesn't win a NC without Jay Williams. He woulda been paired up with Forte. That could have been a lethal duo
I said that Bobby Hurley would be the Dook PG to win a National title. Hurley wanted UNC, and Dean wanted Kenny Anderson.

Hurley was a coach on the court even in HS. Anderson was very much the opposite. Anderson was a highlight film always looking to make more splash. The Dean Smith of 1970 or 1980 would have preferred Hurley.

McMillan on UNC in '72 (he would have been a Soph) might have been enough to win it all. But even as a Soph, Walton was a beast who could not be stopped one on one.

I heard many years ago that someon on the UNC staff had looked at Dave Cowens in HS. Cowens was from KY, and totaly overlooked. UK did not offer. Cowens went to Florida St, and was the key recruit that built the program that made the Final Four in '72. Cowens was a Senior in '70. I hjave always wondered if Cowens were good enough in '68 and '69 to nearly neutralize Alcinder. If he had been, and had been at UNC, UNC could have won 2 national titles.

Originally posted by heelbent:
Sampson
Sampson and Worthy on the same front line - unfair to everyone else. Sampson, Worthy, and Jordan on the '82 team would equal the best team in history.

Wouldn't Sampson have gone to Maryland if not to UVA?

Originally posted by Blue2010:
In my lifetime - Jay Williams. But I agree with Steph Curry too, if UNC was recruiting him.

JR Smith was another one, for me. That McD game where we just went off was the dagger...he was showcasing for NBA scouts.

I feel like I read somewhere that Kevin Garnett would have chosen UNC too if he were forced to go to college - but I could be wrong there.
I think Garnett may have signed early with SoCar.

I don't think anybody could have neutralized Alcindor. Delusional moo fans thought Danny Manning was going there , everything I have ever herd is he was a UNC lock until Brown hired his dad. Art Heyman was a UNC lock but his dad wanted him at dook. I still believe Thompson would have been at UNC if not for moo's shenanigans and paving his mama's driveway was just the tip of the iceberg.

Durant didn't clear admissions. His mom was crying in the basketball offices the day Roy told them he couldn't get them in.

Wright was a total surprise. He was 100% dookie until his visit. He went back to Nashville and committed the same night.

Thompson was a Tar Heel until he suddenly wasn't. The paved driveway is 100% accurate. Moo was on probabtion over Thompson for more then just a pick-up game.

Manning indeed became a Jayhawk when the KU coach stabbed UNC in the back...the first time...by hiring his dad.

Kobe Bryant - He has flip-flopped on where he said he would have gone to college. Looks like UNC

LeBron James - If for no other reason, maybe the people who post on this message board would give the guy some respect if he wore Carolina Blue for a season

Kevin Garnett - UNC was his school of choice

Dwight Howard - He loved Roy and would have played for him

Kenny Anderson - For the longest time he was coming to UNC, but didn't want to be another horse in Dean's stable

All would have been one and done, but would have made a world of difference.

This post was edited on 4/17 9:01 PM by CarolinaBlue1982

If memory serves me , we didn't really recruit Domique , word was he was going to moo and then he committed to UGa. Kenny Anderson was a cousin or had some connection to 'the Jet" and Hurley told Dean he would commit if he would stop recruiting Anderson but Dean really thought he had Anderson. I really think Sampson had it1. UVa 2, UNC and 3. Md. Billy Owens was another target Dean really wanted , he played for Lebo's father but commited to Cuse. Did we recruit Burleson? He had that run in with the vending machine and the law. Sorry for the random observations/memories.

Bogut, Mills, Dellavadova, Baynes, Bairstow, Simmons, the list goes on.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Seriously though, Bogut's best year was 2005 so that wouldn't have worked while Mills went to St Mary's the same year Ty Lawson started at the Hill (no argument there) But Dellavadova was in the same recruiting class as LDII and that might have turned out better!! Bairstow was ranked 196th amongst power forward recruits in 2010, he's now on the Bulls roster.

I wish Roy would take a peek down under to see how fundamentally sound the kids are.

There are two great prospects for 2016 who'd be really worth looking at: Isaac Humphreys and Dejan Vasiljevic

Both played on the silver medal U17 team and were all-tournament. A good bunch of their teammates are also terrific players.

No need to lie about it now. I really wanted Quinn Cook here. I'm not sure how that would have worked out but I don't see why he couldn't have been the shooter we needed to last couple of years. Also, Duke perhaps wouldn't have won it this year and he certainly would have been a different player in other ways if he had been here instead of Duke.

Durant didn't clear admissions. His mom was crying in the basketball offices the day Roy told them he couldn't get them in.
Roy can't catch a break! Between this and the never-ending conclusion to the scandal from the NCAA, and no wonder it's tough to get the Carolina talent needed.

Originally posted by coryfly:

No need to lie about it now. I really wanted Quinn Cook here. I'm not sure how that would have worked out but I don't see why he couldn't have been the shooter we needed to last couple of years. Also, Duke perhaps wouldn't have won it this year and he certainly would have been a different player in other ways if he had been here instead of Duke.
I wanted Cook as well . .

hurley because dook loses 2 nattys.
if anderson commits early we get hurley.

thompson because it makes state even more insignificant.

sampson because he was the best in college i ever saw. i know, i know.

this makes me vomit but we did finish 2nd on laetner. if we'd have gotten him it may have changed the last 25 years of basketball.
what do you guys think?

tough question.

Originally posted by franklin street:

this makes me vomit but we did finish 2nd on laetner. if we'd have gotten him it may have changed the last 25 years of basketball.
And if he had come here he would be the only one mentioned that would now be appearing on the "one player you wish NEVER came to UNC" thread. I'd hate that SOB no matter what school was on his jersey.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Alright, so I'm not completely losing it. I thought I remembered hearing that story somewhere along the journey.

the story i heard heelbent was that we needed a forward desperately and it was between durant, wright and young out of tenn. we we're in great shape with all 3.
durant didn't have the grades yet and we couldn't risk committing to him and he not get the grades. texas only had a shot at durant so they could take a chance on him getting the grades where carolina couldn't.
decent source told me this but not as good as i would have liked.
how good was your source heelbent?

Danny Manning! David Thompson! J Williams!

These are the ones I regret the most. Most of the others I had no knowledge of how close we were or I never thought they were coming.

Heels are Family!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT